Stream sniping

Options

Hide our names until end of match. It's so unfair to have the killer see our screen names but not vice versa. They are constantly stream sniping and there's nothing we can do about it meanwhile they are cheating. It causes players to receive nasty messages from the killer. This cheating is so ridiculous. The only way around It is if our screen names are hidden until end of game

Comments

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

While I wouldn’t consider it cheating, I do agree that survivor names needs to be hidden from the killer until the scoreboard screen. No good comes from them seeing the names before the trial starts.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910
    Options

Not cheating but no reason to show it.

• Cybil
    Cybil Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

Do you have ttv in your name?

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Mhh difficult topic. I agree with you that it would be good to hide the names but at the same time I really like that I can dodge these private profile guys that have 3 vac bans already

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838
    Options

Also; I don't want an SWF to all pick the same character with the same cosmetics, then blast me for 'tunneling' because I could not tell them apart.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

True but do killer have an eye on who they hunt when you encounter such teams I never look at the survivor portraits except when my power gets displayed there like plagues

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838
    Options

I try too, just to avoid tunneling. Unless, of course, 2-3 gens pop in my first chase; then I use the names to keep track of who's doing badly in chases and get them out ASAP. 😈

• Icaurs
    Icaurs Member Posts: 542
    Options

So I'm going to be very careful with what I say, as I do not want people learning how to do this but let me explain how stream snipping works.

Some people use player usernames to snipe, however this method is not every effective.

There are hacks that can be purchased through the internet, I will not say where, and I do not encourage, be warned that people who attempt this run the risk of downloading the wrong hack and being doxed. These hacks allow for a variety of features, most notably a stream snipping mod. Imagine there is a quee of people waiting to join a lobby. This hack can show where each player is in, based on the quee, not off their username, but their steam iD. You could hide the player name for the entire match and this would accomplish very little. Even worse the hack shows when a person is about to connect to a lobby and if you attempt to connect at this moment you will connect to their lobby It is not completely guaranteed I think its around a 75% chance that it works. Its even worse as there is a gorup that has colleciton of prominent DBD streamer IDs, and therefore simply has to wait until that steam id connects to a quee, so they don't even need to watch the stream. This is why certain content creators will be sniped, sometimes 10-20 times in a row.

Again I do not encourage this and want something done to stop this, I only poste this to explain in detail why stream snipng in DBD is so bad

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,157
    edited April 2022
    Options

No offence to anybody in this thread who's a streamer but

From what I understand the cheaters who streamsnipe usually only target the semi-big to bigger streamers because more people will see their shenanigans + they think they can get reactions out of people. In one of Choy's videos about cheaters he shows the 'List' they have of people. It specifically mentions if they are a big streamer/how big and such. Also reasons to target them, which is odd but w/e right?

I highly doubt cheaters go after the smaller streamers too often, I'd wager most streamsniping that happens is usually from the killer seeing a ttv name or checking a steam profile and then putting it on a 2nd monitor or smth. It's not techincally against DBD's rules (As in they don't ban you for it) so yeah.

• Icaurs
    Icaurs Member Posts: 542
    Options

That's what I was referring to as well. However a large issue is small streamers often self promote (twitch name on steam page or username). People will quickly check to see if their streaming. Its kind of a problem with no solution. Promote your twitch channel, increase the risk of being sniped. Don't promote, remain a small channel. I think its just part of being a streamer honestly, you will get sniped, it can't be avoided. It just so happens DBD is the type of game that allows for people to easily get enjoyment ruining someone else's fun.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,157
    Options

I've seen some people who don't have TTV/don't have stuff on their profile who are streamers have their stuff found as well, some people are just curious and will search your username on twitch before or after a match

I guess it comes with the territory of being a streamer yeah. Sucks but what can you do.