Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

What is the point of the keys now?

Piruluk
Piruluk Member Posts: 995

I couldnt get any value from keys since the nerf.

1, Has to be the last survivor since Hatch only spawns if everyone else dead or left(at worst case means that you have like 10-20 sec to find it)

2, Hatch has to be closed by killer(since it spawns open so no need for key), and then you can search for the hatch use the key

Comments

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069

It still has more use than a mori since a key can still clutch when exit gates are once again way too close together while moriing is hardly worth it since no hook will be destroyed, no perks activate and more often than not hooking is simple faster.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

Yep, they are pretty useless now and that’s not a bad thing. I’d rather just have them deleted altogether because I never use them as survivors. When playing killer, having 2-3 survivors escape without completing the gens was one of the most frustrating things in the game and I’m glad that’s gone. I’d be fine adding something else to make the keys a bit more useful, but free escapes for multiple survivors was BS.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291

Mori still has value if someone gets saved off second hook in the EGC and still has their DS.

But yeah, Moris and keys are both terrible.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    edited April 2022

I think it'd be nice if the hatch spawned (closed) after the gates are powered

Post edited by Jacoby2041 on
  • Piruluk

Once every gen is done, hatch should spawn

I played like 10 games and never saw hatch spawn, endgame collapse almost finished, and still several survivors stay.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

Why, to give the Killer one more way to lose for not having precognitive ability?

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Moris still have the slight benefit of avoiding some perks in the late game, keys have the benefit of some pretty powerful aura reading abilities and the chance to escape even once the hatch is shut.

Point is, you deserve neither a kill nor an escape you didn't work for just because you brought an item/offering.

• Harold_Shipman
    Harold_Shipman Member Posts: 737

The aura reading on keys needs expanding massively, there are basically 3 addons that make the keys have any use at all now that he hatch functionality is pretty much useless, and one of these is terrible. Also, the green key lasts longer than the purple key, that makes no sense anymore.

I think the survivor aura reading addon should be part of the base key, make green 5 seconds and purple 10 seconds, and even then theyd still be the worst items to take along, but at least not completely useless.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Their only use is to clutter the Bloodweb for Survivors even more, because you not only have Keys which get barely any use, but also a bunch of Add Ons you will most likely never use again.

IMO they should have buffed the Add Ons at least when doing the Key Change, I always liked the idea to have Maps as Aura Read-Objects for the Environment and Keys as an Aura Read-Object for the players.

• Dionysus42
    Dionysus42 Member Posts: 427

Why complain about Keys? Flashlights are 'literally the weakest survivor item', so obviously keys aren't even the weakest item.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Both are pretty pointless when it comes to their actual function. However, what makes Flashlights weaker is that they are not only pointless against a somewhat decent Killer, but players also waste their time to try to go for Flashlight-Saves or try stupid things like CJ-Techs. Which is not the case if they equip a Key.

• Dionysus42
    Dionysus42 Member Posts: 427

Flashlights also offer big advantages against specific killers like Artist and Hag, which is something Keys don't have.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662
    edited April 2022

Like I said when keys got nerfed I would have liked it if they kept it so when all the gens are done the hatch spawns (regardless of how many survivors are alive). At least it'd be a bit more useful then and could lead to some clutch moments.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Not just in endgame collapse with Decisive Strike. For example, if I down someone who is on deathhook and they’re under a pallet, normally if pick them up there’s a risk I’ll get pallet stunned. Or there’s always a chance someone might blind me for a save when I pick them up. Moris make it possible for me to just kill them outright no matter where I down them or what perks they have or what the other survivors are doing. It’s definitely a small but non-negligable benefit, at least for the Red and Green moris. (The yellow mori is almost worthless, although I actually did avoid a Decisive Strike escape with it the other night so even that on rare occasions pays off.)

• PlaysByShady
    PlaysByShady Member Posts: 590

That's literally what it used to be. And it was broken. One key meant all 4 survivors could escape out, with nothing you can do about it.

So, no!!

• dugman

The issue with the old keys was a single key allowed multiple survivors to escape. It wasn’t uncommon for survivors in a swf or even savvy solo survivors to just follow the key holder after the killer closed a hatch and all escape down it for an easy win at that point.

The new version of hatch where it only spawns when only one survivor is left is probably a little weak, I agree. It could spawn when all the gens were done, BUT in that case I would also make it so:

• it spawns closed and only opens when one survivor is left
    • And if a survivor uses a key the hatch lets only that survivor escape and then it immediately recloses behind them. So the key is only an easy escape at that point for the survivor holding the key, not everybody else.

I’d be ok with that system as a killer personally. 🤷‍♂️

• dugman

I’ve always thought both flashlight and keys and even maps are fairly weak items generally speaking compared to tools and medkits. An interesting idea would be to fold various map functionalities into either keys or flashlights and get rid of maps altogether.

• Eliminating maps as an item would reduce bloodweb clutter
    • Combining a map-like effect with a key or flashlight where when you use the item you see a corresponding aura would make them a bit more useful and help bring them up to par with the stronger items
    • And thematically the idea that if you shine a flashlight it highlights a nearby prop or a mystical key that acts like a compass is kind if interesting.
  • Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

Hopefully I'm remembering correctly but the real problem with the old system was that 3 survivors could escape without finishing the last gen and 2 survivors could escape without finishing the last 2 gens (if they were the only survivors left in the trial).

This caused e.g., a 2 man SWF to just let others die and escape with 2 gens left. I may have done this a few times with my friend with Plunderers if the game went south quickly.

Nevertheless I think spawning the hatch once all gens are done would be a nice buff and maybe increasing the hatch open window from 10 to 15 seconds (once opened with a key).

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

When they reworked the hatch they should also change the challenges.. I believe that the Devs are laughing at me now for not doing the "Escape through hatch"-challenges earlier. I always felt they were toxic and I didn't like to bring a key to end the game early just my own sake. Now these challenges are almost impossible.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

I agree with this!

The problem was not the hatch spawning itself, it was a whole team escaping before the end of the trial.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

That's the thing that would put toouch pressure on the killer because they won't know where the hatch is and that makes a 3Rd thing to try and keep a eye on when there are also 2 doors that could be opening as well. Personally the hatch for the last person is fine imo, and keys are not too bad to use as long as you let the Killer get far enough away from the hatch or that RNG dosnt put the hatch in a spot that the killer can see a mile away.

*Memories of trying to open a hatch with a huntress with the accuracy of a spec ops sniper*

So many hatchets......

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

There’s not much point now.

They could use an addon rework and maybe even gain some sort of extra baseline effect (at least so green keys aren’t completely useless on their own), but reverting the hatch nerf is not the solution.

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333

I see at least a mori every day. But I haven’t seen a key since devs killed them

• Piruluk

If you find a key in chest, thats like finding trash. Good for nothing

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

When we get old moris back you guys can have old keys back.

They were both unhealthy for the game.

• toastcrusher
    toastcrusher Member Posts: 110

nothing, another thing that killer mains destroyed.....the amount of fun clips that came out of the hatch was funny as hell.....but gone it is.

• DrDeepwound

killer mains had NOTHING to do with keys getting nerfed.

like everything the devs test, survivors abuse them until they are forced to nerf them.

• Piruluk

The main issue was that with one key every survivor could escape, the nerf was so extreme now that the whole mechanics are useless.

Survivors now only has medkit nothing else. Every other items are useless

• toastcrusher

euhmmmm i was there when killers complained daily about the hatch.....like they complain daily about CoH and DH now

• DrDeepwound

Moris and keys were nerfed for the same reasons and the devs don't care what you complain about in the forums, people complain about things all the time, does not mean they nerfed them due to complaints

Killers complain about many things, don't cherry pick keys as if the devs did it because killers asked them to. LOL

• toastcrusher

and no mather how you look at it, it was funny when the hatch was still around, it sucked for a killer but it seems to me that most killers just tae this game way to serieus

• DrDeepwound

you are only upset because your favorite YT juker can't make killer bafoon videos anymore with keys.

• toastcrusher

what ever bro....ive been playing long enough to see that killers get more done then survivors....or wait....solo survivors are just not good enough in hockey so that helped them out.

• toastcrusher

yep i'm upset...lett me throw my controller through my tv.......no mather what you say, the hatch was fun and with it gone, it took away a fun part of the game.

• DrDeepwound

you literally stated you miss your "fun clips"

players like you cry about moris but want to see killers made to look like a bafoon using hatch and keys.

then you have the audacity to say "another thing killer mains ruined" like killers are to blame for survivor key abuse.

run along.

• toastcrusher

######### are you claiming, i cry about moris? and killer looking like bafoons....with your attemped to make your point you show excactly what kind of killer you are....the 4k killer who players complain about....the one that realy gets upset when he doesn't get his 4k

go bother someone else, with the hatch out of the game it took away a fun aspect of the game and yes keys are usseles unless you want to hide in a corrner until your the last left with the perkleft behind that can find the hatch

so much fun

• DrDeepwound

Maybe you shouldn't blame killers everytime you get triggered by a dev change.

You sure do cry about killers a lot.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Hatch spawns should be completely reverted, and remove hatch offerings from survivor blood webs. That’s really what the issue is, taking away the RNG of hatch spawn - which is how it was for years and should have been. Then someone at BHVR thought it was a great idea to make an offering to always know where the hatch is, while keys still functioned as they did and were heavily complained about. I’ll never understand that one.

The hatch offerings should remain available to killer only (if at all), and if keys still only allow one person to escape with an animation, I really don’t see the problem.

• toastcrusher

grow up bro, your attempted to get to me is just sad, and not working, no need to respond to me again cause i'm not gonna waste my time on you, i said my piece and not every one is needed to agree with me.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Even if I couldn't see the items, lightborn would never come off my kit

• DrDeepwound

no one is agreeing with you. you blamed killer mains for something that survivors got nerfed due to the reasons mentioned above.

You can project whatever you like onto me, I am replying to your posts and proved you wrong, so now you tell me to grow up when it is you who need to grow up and stop blaming the big bad "killer mains" everytime you get triggered by the devs.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

They are completely useless and you equipping one is stopping you from equipping something much more useful, such as a toolbox, medkit or map.

Keys are also utter waste of bloodpoints on your bloodweb and make plundering chests absolutely useless.

My suggestion is forget about keys in everyway and use that time on gens. When the developers realize that survivors aren't using their secondary objectives and making gen speeds unbearable for killers, then maybe these "secondary" objectives will be buffed to the point where survivor will consider using them again.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

They should've buffed the charges of keys all of its usages are just absolutely useless

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

No, it's the part where if a Survivor brings a key, you'd then be back to having an early win condition that could be anywhere on the map, which cuts out the entire endgame. Firstly, this is bad because the side that doesn't build for endgame is the one that gets to remove it entirely. Secondly, it negates part of the entire design idea of Killers: as the game goes on, there's fewer and fewer Survivor resources to use, and the Killer can more effectively observe important areas.

Kind of hard to observe something that could be anywhere and two gates.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500

It's a little extra help for adepting. If you use a key and a hatch offering, you give yourself a tiny bit of advantage.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
  • danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,108

You'll find their aura reading abilities to be quite useful.