The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why are hook stages hidden from the killer ?

2»

Comments

• Chispon
    Chispon Member Posts: 18

It's easy to keep track even by looking at the total amount of hooks. On survivors helps a lot, you know when someone is on death hook and maybe try to help... usually...

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

for the reason i argued. If two survivors are identical in appearance, it makes keeping mental track considerably more difficult. Believe it or not, some killers actually try to spread their hooks out instead of tunnelling, and tunnel by accident because they either forget hook states or simply can't tell survivors apart.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited May 2022

thats all well and good, but killers also need to keep mental track of multiple other things simultaneously. If you have to start going down a mental inventory of

"well first hook was jake, then second hook was dwight, third hook was the other dwight with the same outfit, fourth was... wait, was that the same one twice? oh nevermind, when the second dwight was hooked he still had full hook time so it must have been the other one. then the fourth one was...."

Then you are making something needlessly complicated to track in the heat of the moment. Add to this all the mental timers you need to keep, what perks each survivor has (especially exhaustion ones) and everything else mentioned in the other post about it... it just hurts decision making skills and makes things more stressful when it really doesn't need to be. A lot of people avoid killer specifically because of how much stress and multitasking is involved.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

In practice, it's because the kind of players that camp and tunnel are the exact people who don't keep count of hook states in their head.

When you get to higher levels, killers will remember and act accordingly - but at lower levels, it's only kindling for the fire.

Needed? Eh.

Survivors NEED to know who's on death hook, because there are 4 people to keep track of including themselves.

Survivors, especially in solo que, can get confused over hook states, especially because they are distant and a fleeting part of the match.

Killer, though, each hook is hard fought and includes a face-to-face with the survivor.

Telling the killer who's on death hook isn't really NEEDED as it is for survivor. And there's the slight potential for mean-spirited users to have a field day with.

It's one of those things that it doesn't have to change, because it doesn't really benefit anyone anyhow.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

Yes, I've had survivors do that and I've even had experienced survivors who got stuck with brand new players offer themselves up on death hook after seeing I'm offering to let everyone go. It's not a regular occurrence but I have seen it enough to know it does and can happen.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Hiding the hook stages hurts survivors more than showing them. Simply because a killer who wants to tunnel someone out, will know that said survivor is on death hook. Meanwhile a killer who tries to even out hooks, might accidentally kill a survivor, when he just wanted to get the second hook.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

That's true. Also, if the survivors let another survivor hit second stage and I didn't see the Entity Summoned notification then I have accidentally killed a survivor before I wanted to take someone out of the game since I had only hooked them once. Showing hook states would solve that.

• Senpai_J
    Senpai_J Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2022

Yes there is and it should be quite obvious. you hook the guy who’s hooked twice and that persons out lol! This situation can arise even if you’re not planning to tunnel but a couple of people on 2 hooks too.

you can’t just say you’re not allowed to put somebody out of the game before everyone’s on 2 hooks.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

I dont get it?

Good killers dont need it because they should be able to keep track of 4 people...

Yet survivors get that help to... keep track of 4 people?

And the total hook counter is that useless you can disable it lol.