The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

PC - Game breaks when lagging mid-action

MisterMuse
MisterMuse Member Posts: 13
edited May 2022 in Bug Reporting

Platform: PC/Steam

• Description of the issue: If I lag in the middle of performing an action, a lot of the time the lag will have an affect on it. This is a recent development, as before recent patches I'd lagged and been fine, finishing the action 'offscreen' during the lag and just left standing there, so I feel like something changed with how the game handles lag.

• Steps to reproduce (if possible): I think it would be most replicable with killer powers that have to charge up. I only did it once with Artist, as seen in the clip, but it seems easy to reproduce for killers; charge power, freeze some time after starting to charge it, then release the button while the game's frozen.

• How often does this occur: Consistently. I've become paranoid about using powers during lag spikes. I know I mentioned only doing it once as Artist, but I had seen it happening other times with less dire consequences, mostly just harmless visual bugs- such as healing someone, freezing, then retaining the healing animation after I stopped but still being able to perform other actions (while sliding around in the healing animation.) I only got around to reporting it when it started impacting gameplay because up until that Artist round, I had thought it only had visual effects.

I don't have logs unfortunately, but I will add one when able.

In the first clip, I released the button to cancel Birds of Torment while the game was frozen with the expectation of just letting the lag pass then starting again. But when it resolved, I could not M2 at all; as I'm looking around I'm pressing it, with no effect. I M1ed hoping to break myself out of it, but that also didn't work.

In the second clip, I lagged as I vaulted and was completely stuck. No input had any effect; not shift, space, control, anything. I never developed crows, and Myers is still able to get the grab once I'm injured, so I'm actually just stuck mid-vault and it isn't a visual glitch.

I don't have a clip of it, but this also affects generator repair. Before, if I got a skill check while lagging, I would miss it because I obviously didn't give input. But now, for the duration of any lag, skill checks pause or outright don't happen. Now, even if I lag mid-check, I can still hit it because the check itself paused when my game did and resumes when my game does.

Post edited by MisterMuse on
6 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• Ayesha
    Ayesha Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2022

I also experience the same thing but idk if the trigger is the lag, I got pretty good network and hardware (100 fps avg), this all happened after the 5.7.0 Update. There's no such bug for me before that, so I can agree to your point about some changes on how the game handles things. This is my report on this, I keep it updated time to time:

• MisterMuse
    MisterMuse Member Posts: 13

hm, it's only behaved strangely for me whenever i lag, i've never gotten that direly stuck outside of spikes- and only recent spikes. wish i would have paid attention to when it first started happening, but oh well. it does seem like a similar brand of getting stuck, especially the one with the doctor's power and that damn freezer window. hopefully it gets addressed soon :/

• Skyost_AB
    Skyost_AB Member Posts: 42

It happened to me as well about 4 times now, i root for them to at leas acknowledge this iissue

• Skyost_AB
    Skyost_AB Member Posts: 42

It has happened to me while picking up items, unhooking people and getting head on stunned. The lag prevents the action from being completed, so your character is stuck in place waiting for the action to end, that's why you got grabbed there, the action didn't even end. It ends matches inmediately