Make keys useful again?

Options
Sasorii19
Sasorii19 Member Posts: 27
edited June 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Can we make keys worth buying on the web again? Outside of getting hatch at ENDGAME. Make keys able to insta-open chest at the cost of using the key charges. Just a thought.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,319
    Options

Something needs to be done with them. I usually avoid them in the web now. They used to be so much fun but now they're just dust collectors. The addons for them are still useful. Only being able to use them if the killer closes the hatch when you're the last survivor seems like a rare thing. I honestly can't recall the last time I've seen a hatch opened with a key since the change.

• Souplet
    Souplet Member Posts: 345
    Options

Yeah, what a blast we had with the keys and undeserved frustrating escapes

• KateMain86
    Options

Oh trust me. Many of the key escapes I did before felt very deserving and too close for comfort. It was situational in every match.

• Souplet
    Souplet Member Posts: 345
    Options

2 survivors with 2 gens left looks like an undeserved escape but yeah, from survivors point of view it feels deserved i suppose

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,274
    Options

Keys already have a pretty useful effect tied to them, so personally I'd like to see BHVR lean into that. Give them some baseline aura reading for your teammates, and overhaul the addons to be even more focused on revealing auras of players, I think that'd give them a niche that would make them worth picking up, even if only for gimmick builds.

• Lanz
    Lanz Member Posts: 53
    Options

Just removing green keys from random chest drops would be a decent change.

• BastardKing
    BastardKing Member Posts: 784
    Options

Increase the time it takes to open the exit gate, and make keys a viable tool for speeding it up. As it stands, opening an exit gate is way too quick. I have had plenty of games where I close hatch, and by the time I get to the exit gate (Even if I chose right) the door is already open. Make it associated with escaping the way flashlights are boldness, medkits are altruism, and maps/toolboxes are objective.

• KateMain86
    Options

Again, situational. Yea matches like that happened but I can't tell you how many I had where the key felt like our only hope. They were fun.

• Sasorii19
    Sasorii19 Member Posts: 27
    Options

And how often do you see anybody do this? outside of being able to open hatch (with purple and iri key) keys cant do anything without addons, my point being is that there should be a passive function that they posses, such as opening chests or unlocking lockers (once the lock mechanic is put into the game)

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Sure, and many of the NOED kills I get are totes deserved. ;)

• boogerboy123
    boogerboy123 Member Posts: 119
    Options

i think it would have been better if keys only let one survivor escape

• KateMain86
    Options

That is why I said the key often times felt like our only hope. Either noed or a surprise devour hope towards the end. Noed only required 1 totem be up at the end. The hatch required all 5 gens done if everyone was still alive.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,576
    Options

How bout no, =D

Keys deserved the nerf, They're a stupid item to have anyways

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

The Hatch requires four gens and no time at the Exit Gate if someone dies. It requires three gens and no time at the gate if two people die.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I agree that keys are a bit weak compared to the other items, but that being said I did have a survivor escape from me using a key about a week ago so it does happen. 🤷‍♂️

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

If you go against a proxy-camp tunneling spirit with mori and are down to 2 survivors, seeing how the other guy is left to bleed out for the sweaty 4k, then finding a key in game, directing your mate to the hatch with your aura, time it correctly during a phase to go for the pickup, take the hit to boost to the hatch and see your mate jump in behind you really feels deserved and I think actually was.

There are a lot of stories, good and bad. But I agree that the key change overall was necessary and healthy. But addonless keys being more useless than power struggle without synergizing perks is a bad thing as well. Give it a fun purpose like locking lockers. Invest 0.2 seconds to close it and make the killer check that gen locker for 2 more seconds or something else.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

Yeah, I also escaped once with a key since the change. But I guess that tells that you don't pick keys for hatch escapes anymore. You need addons or they are worthless

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 729
    Options

If I want to make keys useful, I wouldn't mind a minor buff in which they help you open Exit Gates faster; considering the killer has some strong perk to make escaping difficult. (No Instant Door Open, just increase the speed to open it.)

But I prefer they have no plans to revert the changes to hatch; as it very frustrating to do a early escape before the gens were done.

• BastardKing
    Options

Honestly, I think the Exit Gates should be opened slower, at their old speed, and Keys should give a moderate buff to it. At base, the exit gates open WAY too fast. I have literally had games where I closed the hatch, went to the right exit gate, and it was open before I could have even crossed the map to get there. If it is because they brought an item to specifically do that, that is more understandable, but as it stands without those perks end game kinda happens in seconds.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 729
    Options

That, or at least make Exit Gates have a regression when not activated. I not a fan of Gates being 99% unlocked, instead of being fully opened.

I know the Devs said that Regression has been tested and not fun, but we haven't seen it in action and give proper feedback on it yet. I think it should be implemented, as Survivors can still hold the endgame game hostage by 99 Gates, can avoid Blood Warden, and can easily get out once everyone is saved and ready to flee.

• BastardKing
    edited June 2022
    Options

"Tested and not fun" is true of 99ing as well. Unless you are Trapper, a 99ed gate is basically an open gate without the drawback of EGC or risk of Blood Warden. I imagine having to unlock the whole thing would be far more exciting.