Deathslinger is probably one of the most depressing experiences to play nowadays.

Just nothing about him is fun or unique. His gun feels so clunky to use since his changes and in every situation he feels like a worse version of Trickster, Huntress and Pyramid Head even though he is probably harder to use than all of them. His chase is incredibly boring to play as and while slightly better to play against still isn't that fun. His old shooting through small holes no longer really feels fun as you need to be scoped in for half a second before the survivor passes by and most of the time they will see this and avoid the hole. Old slinger was super unfun to face and I dont really want him back but they nerfed so much about him with no buffs that he now just feels gutted and lifeless to play. Slinger needed a rework instead of making him the sad excuse of a killer he is now.

Comments

• Alcuin
    Alcuin Member Posts: 460

STBFL is about to be broken on him. My brother -- who doesn't play DBD but understands multiplayer games -- watches me play Deathsllinger and knows immediately how powerful he is in the 1v1. 10 stacks of STBFL, lol. Killers in this game, lol.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited June 2022

Hurts to be a Billy, Death Slinger main ngl

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

In my opinion by far slinger. I have played a lot of Billy and Twins and they are both bearable to play. Never got to experience old billy but in his current state he is fine although overheat can be annoying often and when you first start learning him the bump timer is terrible. Twins had their slugging capability neutered which makes them significantly worse overall and when they cooperate in pairs securing downs is a challenge but at least its still fun to actually play as Victor. Slinger just feels boring and unresponsive to play imo not a single aspect of him is fun except he is a cowboy. I cannot think of a single redeeming quality for slinger other than being a yeehaw man.

• Friendly_Blendette

He requires more skill than Huntress imo but has 0 major advantages over her. Like name a single thing he can do much better than Huntress. I genuinely don't think theres any. Huntress has him beat in range, ease of use, hitbox, downing, higher ammo capacity, more efficient reloads, better play at pallets. Slinger has a slightly shorter wind up time and faster projectile.

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601

I've been playing him a lot lately and been having a ton of fun with it. The way in which the redeemer ultimately counts as a m1 hit once you reel someone in leads to handy synergy with a lot of perks that don't normally play nice with killer m2's.

Dissolution is a pretty good perk on him too, which amusingly would have been weaker had his terror radius not been expanded.

And the amount of salt I get when I win has generally gone down - I think survivors don't feel cheated by the ADS spam anymore.

Using the redeemer is very much like using Nemesis' tentacle now, within loops. You need to be coming around a corner already raising the gun to fire the moment you finish turning the corner.

Oh, but positive feelings aside he still has a terrible time pressuring the map as a whole. Fun killer, but I do lose a lot with him.

• Mozic

No lullaby, not dependent on locker placements to rearm, better interaction with m1 perks, makes squealing pig noises when you hit him with a palette, chuckles a lot.

• Mozic

He also has a trick you can do where you can just hold a survivor in place for the duration of the chain's durability which I've used both to prevent a healthy survivor from escaping before EGC finishes, as well as to prevent a survivor from making a hook rescue before the other survivor advanced to stage 2 / got sacrificed. You can also use it to try and wait out endurance effects. None will make you popular with the survivor in question. 👀

• Friendly_Blendette

His terror radius is only 8m smaller than the lullaby and typically the lullaby isn't that impactful, especially since the last chapter being locker dependant feels like a non issue, I'll give you the m1 perks but they seem to be phasing m1 only perks out with stuff like blood favour and dark devotion, makes angry rabbit noises when you hit her with a pallet, has a great singing voice.

• Mozic

😛 No audio cue tied to aiming m2, canonical reason for being 4.4 m/s (he is wearing a leg brace)

Huntress and Trickster have him beat on the lethality angle and are, for all intents and purposes, more dangerous killers, but I think Deathslinger is safely average. His lack of mobility is exaggerated by the redeemer's limited range, so the only way he can really cover his weaknesses wrt map pressure is through perks or some kind of rework that adds another layer of mechanics to his power.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    edited June 2022

I use his spear selectively to disrupt healing and only take close range shots when I have predicted their next movement. It works out most matches. Unrelenting on him catches many by surprise.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

Hes far more useful than Sadako

• Friendly_Blendette

Sadako at least just feels weak and if you like m1 killers she can be played just like that slinger just feels bad to play as. Like he isn't even one of the worst killers imo he is just boring and feels horrendous to play as. I cannot play a single match of him witohut feeling like giving up midway through. It also weirdly feels like they queue up actions because sometimes I ads press fire mid animation then it fires when the animation is over. It just generally feels like ######### to play and isn't fun in the slightest.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Only big nerf he really needed was a cooldown on canceling his ADS similiar to Huntress or Pyramid Head

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069
    edited June 2022
  • Friendly_Blendette

I would much rather that then a cooldown while ADSing. He just feels unresponsive not to mention his gun models are the buggiest #########.

• Friendly_Blendette

Pretty sure they are refering to 8 stacks + the new default attack animation being equivalent to 2 stbfl stacks

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Yeah that’s all he needed imo. His instant ADS while somewhat annoying was fine imo

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,444

This is actually a lie, many people don't know but slinger has an audio cue that plays when he aims at you its sort of like a ringing sound, however faint it is in the game and a good survivor can make use of it.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

I know he definitely has an audio cue but I've never been able to hear it. Is there a video of it somewhere?

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Yeah,the nerfed ADS time just feels awful and clunky.

I used to really like playing him because of the cool shots you could do with him,but now he just isn't fun anymore :/

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,064
    edited June 2022

Because somebody who's never played the game, much less the killer, has valuable pinpoint feedback to make about game balance. Okay.

Deathslinger might be able to attack again very soon after a hit with STBFL, but his gun's got the most precision hitbox in the game and the aiming apparatus is terrible to control between the delay and the turn speed. He's much worse than the other two ranged killers at the moment, and in a worse spot than most of the semi-ranged ones to boot. He's strong in chase, but there are several obstacles that can be used well against him (moreso than Huntress in particular, who's his closest comparison), and his map pressure is god-awful due to his slow speed and lack of a 1v4 element. His power's also unique in that you can actually land a hit and then have it fail after the fact due to bodyblocking.

Pretty much the only things he has going for him that Huntress doesn't do better are utilizing M1 perks and yoinking tbaggers at the exit gate.

• Mozic

Oh shoot! Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna see if I can go isolate that for my own benefit now.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Yeah... before his ridiculous nerf Deathslinger was my secondary main. Honestly, he was great. Depending on which perks you gave him, he could function as literally any of the following:

1. A chase expert that strongly resembled a glacier. He was gonna get you eventually, but it was going to take a bit.
    2. A stealth killer who didn't get wrecked near as bad by stealth hostile maps. Looking at you Ormond, new Coldwind, and Eyrie.
    3. A ranged killer who didn't get wrecked near as bad by range hostile maps. Looking at RPD, Lery's, and Hawkins (RiP) for this one.
    4. A split pressure killer like Legion who wasn't quite as good at splitting pressure but unlike them wasn't kinda helpless when actually going for a down.

The nerf he got to his terror radius and ADS basically ruined 2-4. 1 is still kicking but that was my personal least favorite way to play him. So... I basically haven't played him since his massive nerfs.

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575

I have no issue with Twins and they're a top tier killer so yeah, I don't get the complaint here. Is it because of that irrelevant Victor cooldown thingy?

• Laluzi

The fact that you can call Twins a top tier killer while virtually nobody plays Twins kind of explains everything it has to regarding Twins QoL. People like strong killers, and Twins can be very strong. Their power isn't neutered by SWF like a couple of other would-be-high-level killers, and they're not that hard to learn to a competent level. They should be appealing.

Except playing Twins is slogging through cooldown after cooldown after cooldown before and after doing anything. They're punished for hitting, they're punished for missing, they're punished for trying to hook people. Their power is belied by how playing them is the equivalent of lumbering through molasses. The only killer that wastes more time dragging themselves around the map is Trapper, and that's because his power spawns scattered across the map.

People invoke them, Billy, and Slinger in the same contexts because they're all killers with fairly strong powers that you're dissuaded from using because their QoL is horrid.

• squbax

Scorpionz did a kyf a very long time ago and tested it, I have not found anything on youtube but If I have spare time I can try and record it on a kyf.

• Laluzi

No, I don't think that's the right one. I think it's more of a ringing sound?

• squbax

No, its not that, best way I can describe it its a microwave ding but made with a chain sound.

• WeaverReaver42
    WeaverReaver42 Member Posts: 213

Most people seem to be talking about him from the perspective of how he's unfun compared to before. But as someone who only played him after the nerf I can say he just isn't fun compared to other killers right now in general. Even trapper at least can lock down a specific area and put pressure there (albiet not as effectively as I'd like), but deathslinger feels like he tried to be a jack of all trades without being good enough at any of them for it to be useful. I've tried gen pressure perks, perks that reward basic attacks, I've tried a combination of the two. He just isn't fun as he is right now.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,830

I’ve been playing a lot of Deathslinger lately and still find him really fun. Unless it’s Garden of Joy then it’s miserable.

My favourite build is Corrupt, Agitation, Starstruck, Thrilling Tremors. Every game I get at least one instadown from it, which really helps his poor map pressure.

Personally, Trapper, Billy, and Freddy are the most depressing killers right now and feel really clunky and outdated.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    DaddyMyers_Mori Member Posts: 2,205

It's because of 5 second fatigue for each down with Victor. Basically DS whenever you want to switch after down.

Also I played them few times for challenges and that rubberbanding seems to completely stop Victor during his attack, which allows free kick.

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464

Deathslinger did never needed nerf, pyramid head needs a QoL too

• JudithMorel
    JudithMorel Member Posts: 562

He is actually getting indirectly buffed with the Dead Hard rework.

• Sadako_Best_Girl
    Sadako_Best_Girl Member Posts: 662

I used to main him. Yeah the changes make him clunky asf, he is not terrible but not nearly as fun to play as before, and its not like the half a second aiming time does anything to help survivors on short loops - it's still basically unpredictable especially if you start aiming from behind a wall. I need to run at least 1 stealth perk or else I have an awful experience on big maps. I just wish they reworked his add-ons when they nerfed him, 90% of his add-ons are garbage and the other 10% range from decent to borderline overpowered (iri coin is god tier on some maps).

• Sadako_Best_Girl
    Sadako_Best_Girl Member Posts: 662

That's not true though, I can agree on STBFL definetely but there are plenty of stealth, info and gen regression perks that work better on him, I have had a lot of success with plaything and ruin (despite the low mobility). Exposed perks are also really good, with the extended terror radius starstruck is awesome on him and pairs very well with agitation and pain resonance.

• Friendly_Blendette

Oh yeah compared to other killers he is still in the bottom areas of boringness to play and probably the worst in terms of frustration for me. I think myers probably wins out on the most boring but even then getting good slugs feels fun.

• DaddyMyers_Mori

I wouldn't really call it buff, when it's 100% based on survivor's choice.

And mainly it's his gameplay that is frustrating. I can deal with a weak killer, but I don't like when it's painful -> Twins, Deathslinger.

• DaddyMyers_Mori

I didn't mean them of course.

By dealing with weak was something like clown, pig etc.

Twins and Deathslinger are just painful to play as for me, for different reasons. Twins can be at least good unless survivors have perks to counter you. Deathslinger is weak and painful to play as. But masochist has perfect killer, so I guess that's something.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

There’s some juicy moments that can still happen map changes of hampered them more then anything

• WishIcouldmain

That’s like weird to me though, Deathslinger is one of my mains and I can still end chases like super quick and he personally doesn’t feel that clunky to me and lots of gap shots are still possible, I think the biggest issue has become hold W, 4.4 and 32 meter TR was what hurt him the most and why I always run M&A because otherwise that happens very dumb decision should’ve been at most 28 meters.

• Friendly_Blendette

Maybe it comes down to playstyle but as someone who plays a lot of FPSes flicking is my ######### and without the quick scope its no longer really a thing. Gap shots are still possible but mostly if survivors just aren't paying attention. Like if I see a slinger ready their gun on the opposite side of the haybales on coldwind I know he is going to go for the hole.

• WishIcouldmain
    edited June 2022

Yeah you have to fake a shot a lot more compared to old Slinger, I actually picked up Slinger after the nerf and the shots since they can’t come instant a lot more baits have to be used, which can lead them for a later shot.