Deathslinger is probably one of the most depressing experiences to play nowadays.

2»

Comments

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

I find this to be really stupid. They nerfed him because baiting shots was boring to versus and now he is more reliant on baiting shots. The nerf entirely just feels dumb.

• LittleBigSunset
    LittleBigSunset Member Posts: 242

He's weak but that doesn't mean he's not fun, provided you don't get matched against really good SWFs. It feels awesome when you can pull off a wicked shot from miles away, especially considering how precise his harpoon hitbox is.

I don't think he needed a nerf at all. Compared to the top tier killers that BHVR have never considered nerfing and have instead buffed, like Nurse and Blight, his power level wasn't even close to theres. Slinger has essentially no map pressure and has to rely on strong chases to keep people off gens. The fact that they nearly gutted his chasing ability (and the niche ability to sneak up on people) just boggles my mind. He was perfectly fine the way he was.

• Friendly_Blendette

He isn't the worst killer he just isn't fun imo. They just made him feel clunky. I still have fun playing other weak killers he just feels bad to play.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I have fun with him, even if he isnt the strongest out there, I also believe there isnt much room for buffs because how his power works and how busted it could be if buffed in the wrong direction.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

Deathslinger is still quite fun to play as and he is still decent. However, I think they should buff him a bit. He got overnerfed.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2022

0.25 ADS, 0.5 lower sight, 24m terror radius, 24m lullaby, revert to 75% ms when aiming and reduce his reload time by half a second or so. That's all he needs. I'd make his ADS 0.2 but I guess devs want counterplay of sorts. 0.4 is just so damn clunky and good survivors will absolutely take massive advantage of that little time frame.

Why are so many well designed killers gimped by numbers anyway? Pigs crouch takes 1.3 seconds for gods sake, and 0.75 charge time on her ambush. Why not just reduce both to 0.5 basekit? What's the worst that could happen, her power can be used in chase now? It's like Plague, even Legion with their awkward sluggish numbers, 3s fatigue and old "slowdown" after puking.

Why not just take a midchapter patch and throw out tons of changes to PTB, just to let people experiment with buffed killers and see which ones feel good and which ones are too buffed?

• Ricardo170373
    Ricardo170373 Member Posts: 688

Darling, You forgot The Twins AKA "high MMR Monsters" according to the DEVS

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

The most depressing thing about it to me is seeing how he went from a masterfully balanced Killer with clear strengths that made him feel strong, a unique playstyle, that made him fun and unique, and ample weaknesses that could be exploited to beat him to what he is now: utterly underpowered and lacking in pretty much everything with a clear lack of inspiration and uniqueness and overall nothing redeeming (pun partially intended) about him.

It gets especially depressing when looking at Hillbilly, who has went through a very similar journey a long time ago, who still hasn't been fixed yet - because Hillbillies past is most likely exactly what Slingers future looks like: forgotten and abandoned by the Devs after being absolutely gutted.

• Friendly_Blendette

Sadly likely the truth. I doubt we will see major changes for him any time soon

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804

I found a clip from the other day of one of my games. I figured out how the sound works. It looks like there's a minimum distance for it to trigger, additionally the audio cue does not seem to go off if you have the camera or character facing at him.

At 30 seconds on my clip you can hear the sound weave in and out as my camera flutters off of him while he's aiming.

You hear the sound at 55 seconds right before I get hit.

You hear it again 1:38.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

I agree with basically everything here, McLean killed Deathslinger on his way out the door with that patch

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

If you need a perk to improve BASIC ATTACK SPEED on a RANGED KILLER you have fundamentally failed at designing a ranged killer.

• DY86
    DY86 Member Posts: 570

Lol trapper is far worse tbh. But the problem with Deathslinger is hes got a high skill ceiling like many of the top tier killers, but hes not nearly as oppressive as them.

Ive faced some reaaaaally good Deathslingers, but judging by their skill level they shouldn’t have struggled so much as they did. I feel like a few tweaks wouldn’t hurt

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,622

i'd rather see his nerfs reverted (just like billy and freddy)... his instascope was his special feature and his low TR was needed due to the short range of the weapon... they nerfed both and now he's awfully bad to play

• Friendly_Blendette

Compared to Slinger, SPirit is living laughing and loving

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,617

"Deathslinger"...Huh, that is such a weird way to say "Freddy", isn't?

Just kidding! You know me, my old friend. I can't resist it.

In all seriousness though, what happened to them was extremely unfair. Sad to see that nothing has been done to fix those mistakes.

• MineatomTR
    MineatomTR Member Posts: 47

They can revert his nerf and make his movement speed very slow while aiming, and increase the time it takes to un-aim so you can't M2 spam to zone

• RonMan32
    RonMan32 Member Posts: 413
    edited July 2022

Heya! I'm pretty new to the game but seeing as Deathslinger is my favorite killer I figured I'd drop my two cents in here. Personally I find the ADS change mostly justified but a person who replied to my post on reddit said maybe making the animation 20% faster base kit is the way to go. I could see how that would remove the "clunkyness" people are complaining about without causing a return of the apparently unfun to play against god tier quickscope plays.

That said in his current state I mostly get 0/1(hatch) escapes in my games with him. I probably play in low level matches due to skill based matchmaking though. But I do believe in trickle down balance. If he's buffed into being viable again at high levels of play in the right way he won't be broken at low levels of play.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    edited July 2022

It is extremely optimistic that you still have hope for DeathSlinger. You sit upon a throne made of the corpses of old Deathslinger mains. May they carry you to nirvana.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • RonMan32
    RonMan32 Member Posts: 413

Haha well as I said I'm new to the game. I have a lot of time before the jadedness can set in. I'm mostly happy with his current state but I'd sure love a rework. Especially if it means more people will play him. I have nearly 100 hours in this game playing it nonstop for awhile (I need to touch grass) and I've only faced ONE 'slinger as survivor.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,860

I have find I have the most success with deathslinger over my other mains. What difficulty is people having? I know he's weaker than other ranged killers such as huntress. To be transparent, the only other killers I play are Ghost Face, Myers and Dredge.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

He needs buffs, but honestly he’s still pretty fun, to me at least.

• Khelendrose2020
    Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 207

I'll meet your Deathslinger and raise you a Nemesis. Talk about a joke, I keep wanting to run him, then I do and remember why he's bottom tier. 3 hits to infect, wound and down. No real chase ability. Joke of a range ability. Too many antidotes. Too easy to dodge his tentacle. At least Deathslinger can shoot at short range, wounds even if he does not hit with melee, and has a few decent addons.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096
  • Friendly_Blendette

Eh nemmy definitely has his upsides. Tier 2 can make him very strong at short loops or loops reliant on the pallet. Low walls he excels at and STBFL makes him an absolute monster at catching up. While they are pretty worthless at hitting survivors zombies give pretty good info. While his range isn't the best his attack is much faster than Pyramid Head who I would consider the closest killer to him.

I only got Nemmy a few days ago but Ive been winning next to all my games with him despite not using a 4 slowdown build and except for a few rough SWFs and a red forest or two typically dont have many escapes and these are just my 2 cents on him.

• Khelendrose2020
    Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 207

Wait til you face halfway decent survivors who know how to play the tentacle at loops. He's basically an M1 killer with half a power and 2 brain dead groupies at that point. I'd rather have Trapper, at least he can shut down a loop.....while they run away from it and someone else comes in behind you to disarm it.......sigh.

• sonata93
    sonata93 Member Posts: 418

I rarely go against him these days, but when I do the matches are... interesting.

Had one today on Shelter Woods that brought an ebony mori, and despite face-camping and tunelling straight off the hook he only managed a 1k.