The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why in the HELL does Hillbilly still have an overheat system?

Like, seriously? What was so broken about him before? All it was was stacking charge addons. That was the real strength. Now playing basekit Billy is a nightmare since your chainsaw overheats by nearly half just from charging it up!

Comments

• duygu
    duygu Member Posts: 333

the same reason why some players called him OP and the same reason his animations had to change on purpose to screw with the muscle memory

• duygu
    duygu Member Posts: 333

idk about official forums but on steam community if i remember, people were calling him op because of his unlimited mobility and instadown potential. although steam forums is bait forums

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,454

Todays basekit and the old basekit are nearly identical, only thing the old basekit did was not punish you for misusing your power

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464
    edited July 2022

Because entitled survivor mains will whine if any change makes the killer gameplay more bearable

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,881

Even still a face camping billy is still a guaranteed trade and if it was bhvrs intention of making overheat for that specific purpose... yeah idk.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,832

As I recall, you have to put in a serious amount of effort to get the chainsaw to overheat. Either way though, I think it wouldn't make any difference if it were removed.

• Kelo
    Kelo Member Posts: 9

rip chainsaw billy

• Silasy
    Silasy Member Posts: 228

Devs made Billy C tier because they wanted Bubba sell more. Now we have a killer that high effort/ low reward. Great job @BHVR.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857

Pro Billies would be too oppressive against anything but that sweatiest no weak link 4mens. Like Nurses and Blights.

• syain
    syain Member Posts: 440

Don't worry bro, I'm sure BHVR knows what they're doing by keeping Billy nerfed while refusing to touch Nurse and Blight.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

If i remember correctly, there WERE some people complaining back then. But its been a looooooong time, so I might be wrong.

Like he has mobility AND instant downs, there were some people calling for speed limiter to become basekit.

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575

Because he uses a chainsaw so he MUST have the overheat system.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Before Nurse/Blight it was Nurse/Billy. Even though he was considered the most balanced killer, he was not liked by survivors.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,438

No true, a good survivor can loop billy for ages if he keeps going for chainsaws. It doesn't need a 4 man stack, dunking on billy is not really hard with new map design.

• syain
    edited July 2022

Weird for you to even think the "touch" they gave nurse was nearly as impactful as the absolute destruction they did to billy.

Like "Oh no, my favorite killer! She went from being the best killer in the game to being the best killer in the game but now she waits like 3 seconds before blinking twice and that's without addons because if she uses double recharge it's basically pre-nerf Nurse all over again!"

• Mr_K

Old basekit Nurse was far better than current Nurse with both recharge addons. It takes a lot of reving for current Billy's chainsaw to overheat. I know it was bad when it was first introduced, but they nerfed the heat gain by a lot shortly after.

For Nurse, during the PTB the recharge system was bugged and started recharging after swinging instead of fatigue. Giving the impression it wasn't that bad. Even so, the Devs nerfed her recharge addons before the live release and ofcourse the bug was fixed.

So, yeah I'm making the comparison.

• Mercês
    Mercês Member Posts: 376

This.

Addon-less Billy was the most balanced killer BHVR had put in the game. Playing against Billy was fun and BHVR totally ignored the community feedback about the overheating chainsaw.

• Mercês

The Nurse nerf was absolutely as impactful, even more impactful, as Billy nerf. I don't know what you talking about.

Nurse went from a 70% high MMR winrate to a 50% high MMR winrate pre-MMR changes. Don't overestimate the impact of being able to spam blink right after charges come, and this combined with range addons. Current Nurse is strong, but if you've played against a pre-nerf nurse you would know that she's not nearly as strong as she used to be.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

Because its pure logic. Bubba should have the same.

• syain

First off, very disingenuous of you to pretend the reason Nurse is getting so much hate recently is because of her basekit. Yes, indeed, her basekit was nerfed a while back, and with it came a 9k BP solution to every Nurse main's problems which is the double recharge combo. Double range or Range/Recharge are also still in the game. No nurse player, and I repeat, NO nurse player I've seen the past six months playing nearly 100 hours every 2 weeks didn't have one of these combos. Not one. And that would be memorable so I'd remember it if I'd seen one. And that's just talking about the addons she can use, now when she uses perks that are already busted on regular killers she can only be stopped if the person playing her is completely new to her.

My point with that Nurse talk is: Billy got everything (and i'm talking addons as well) he had ripped away from him because he was 'too oppressive'. Then why are killers that would always do better than him in both a high skilled and low skilled scenario not getting the same treatment? Nurse was NEVER worse than hillbilly and still isn't. Same applies to Blight. Both of these killers have addons that make them more efficient than even crack billy was. It doesn't make any sense.

Ah yes, the statistics. Oh, you're talking about which one of the MMR tests that didn't work again? What part of the old MMR experiments can be used as reliable data? Surely, again, you know nobody is complaining about basekit nurses because you just don't run into those, right? Nobody plays nurse without addons and even when people do, the next one is just gonna have all the busted stuff all over again. We need to stop pretending things are happening in this perfect vacuum where perks and addons aren't used by strong killers.

• Mercês

Everybody who have played against pre-nerf nurse knows how strong she was. I need absolutely nothing to prove you that and everybody who has experienced that knows I am right, because I am not saying that she is not strong now, but instead that she was way stronger before.

• Mr_K
    edited July 2022

You never played against me then because I play addonless. Also that 9k solution is if RNG favors you and only if you want to get close to what old basekit Nurse was like. Not to mention you are unable to run any other addon. You complain about her distance addon forgetting how it was prior to her nerf. You think a little speedup is oppressive? You have no idea what her addons were like back then.

• syain
    edited July 2022

Oh! You play addonless! That's so rich, but it still doesn't quite fix the problem her addons create because of the majority of people who do use them. Just a little note: Nerfing something busted into something slightly less busted isn't really a fix. You're talking to someone who handed out beta keys to play KYF with my buddies. Trust me, I've seen Nurse at her strongest, but what good does nerfing her into her weakest do if her weakest is still miles above what the next killer can do? I'm not saying she should be nerfed into the ground, I'm saying she should get a respectable "Addon Rework/Revisit" as Billy did. Since you play addonless, that should be no issue to you.

Refer to what I wrote above.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

*Pushes you to a far wall coving your mouth*

Don't give the Devs any dumb ideas geez...we don't need another Nerf to a killer that's considered a "balance" fix

• Mr_K

I find it pathetic an OG player is still having issues against Nurse. Goes to show people won't be happy until she is played as often as Spirit.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

Sunk Cost Fallacy

They don't want to throw it out because they spent time and money working on it even though it is terrible.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited July 2022

They worked really hard on it /s

I always find it funny how they used excuses like "Oh, well, we don't want him to be able to easily camp like he can" And then in the same patch they made LF the god at it. I miss going against Billy's that actually tried to use their power at loops and curve. Talk about a dying breed. Well, I suppose they killed those players but mostly, they just made 90% of the people who play Billy not play him because his busted addons were nerfed + Tinkerer changed previous.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

If that were the main concern they would have just made it work like Bubbas overheat, which was introduced at the same time.

No, they fully intended to nerf his map mobility and missed attack recovery.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,860

Why the devs butcher him and not Nurse still baffles me.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

Cause it was a wanted to change to those "i just rev my chainsaw all the time at all loops, cause nothing stops me from having a braindead time"-players. You just cant braindead play him anymore, thats what this change did. nothing more.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 809

Billy suffers from Aurelion Sol syndrome. Something else is broken/op? Nerf Billy

• Silasy
    Silasy Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2022

The fact is against good survivors, you should use Billy like ''braindead'' in your terms. You should use your chainsaw for mobility, mindgames, downing survivors etc. I dont even mentioning that against good survivors you should use your chainsaw oftenly in chases due his weaknesses. Break a pallet, do a curve but survivor played well and dodged your curve, break the chase and go somewhere with chainsaw. Now you have at least 50%-60% heat you are overused your power now you should not use for like a 10 seconds! Incredible change lmao

Post edited by Silasy on
  • Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Because we can't have killers that are balanced and fun to play as and against.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,951

Is the overheat system even an issue though? I don't think I've ever seen a hillbilly overheat

• ClarityOfWill
    ClarityOfWill Member Posts: 205
    edited July 2022

Overheat isn't as big of a deal as people make out but there are a few tweaks that would be useful.

• Remove the heat gain during the dash but keep it for the revving.
    • Increase the base cooling rate slightly
    • Rework pig gloves into an addon that dumps all heat on a successful down. Similar to ring but it's a bit more balanced on billy since there's stronger counterplay to him than bump logic.
  • edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,190

Oh I agree. What they did to Billy makes absolutely zero sense. It made zero sense at the time and even less sense now considering how bonkers double range Nurse is and how busted Blight add ons in general are.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

No they wouldn’t, why would they make it like Bubba’s? Someone that can’t travel across the map with his chainsaw?

If you made it like Bubba’s you’d end up with Hillbilly getting a cooldown every time he has to hold while revving at a loop. How would the game distinguish between revving for a play vs for face camping?

I don’t think you understand the differences between this two characters if you think Billy can simply “let go” and curve around objects like Bubba can.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

I think you're reading quite a lot into my comment that I never said.

You said that the only reason overheat was added for Hillbilly was to make 99%ed chainsaw hook camps impossible, to which I simply added that that was not the intention behind it, they very clearly intended to nerf both his map traversal and chase recovery with it as well.

HAD they done what you said they did, THEN Hillbillys overheat would work similar to Bubbas, where you gain heat while charging your chainsaw but then quickly lose it uppon either dropping out of it or fully committing to a chainsawsprint.

Also,

If you made it like Bubba’s you’d end up with Hillbilly getting a cooldown every time he has to hold while revving at a loop. How would the game distinguish between revving for a play vs for face camping?

That is quite literally currently in the game. Exactly the way you described it too. You WILL go on cooldown when holding your power around a loop too much, just like Bubba - and to answer your question, the game can not distinguish between a facecamping Billy and a Billy aiming his chainsawsprint around loops at all. It never could and I doubt it ever will.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

PC players were complaining plenty about him before this forum went live. This is a console-heavy forum though so it doesn't surprise me that sentiments are very different. You had streamers like Zubat talking ######### about instasaw and Hexy complaining that he has too much pressure. Fun times.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

For someone who thinks I am "reading into their comment" too much, you are one to talk. Quote me where I specifically said the only reason they added the overheat mechanic to Hillbilly was due to his facecamping ability. I'll wait.

That is quite literally currently in the game. Exactly the way you described it too. You WILL go on cooldown when holding your power around a loop too much, just like Bubba - and to answer your question, the game can not distinguish between a facecamping Billy and a Billy aiming his chainsawsprint around loops at all. It never could and I doubt it ever will.

Hillbilly goes on cooldown WHEN his overheat mechanic reaches 0. So assuming he never reached 0, he can immediately start revving AGAIN. Something that Bubba cannot do, as he has to wait to re-gain his tokens first.

So when you suggest that Billy should work like Bubba's tantrum he gets when holding his chainsaw while revving, per here:

my argument to that is that Billy HAS to hold it in specific scenarios when mind-gaming survivors at specific loops.

Example:

Imagine Billy going into a tantrum-like cooldown in the middle of a loop. That would not only be very bad for him but wouldn't make any sense.

This while other loops require even longer revving. So no, he should not work like Bubba's at all because they work differently.