The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Map offerings need to go

lonewolf8376
lonewolf8376 Member Posts: 24
edited July 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

I feel like with the amount of maps that are very survivor safe and the fact that u can just offer them to gain a competitive advantage is not healthy at all, I guess im venting because my last 7 games in a row was 2 Erie, 2 the game, 1 ormand, Garden of pain, and Badham, if devs aren’t willing to get rid of them can ya at least make Sacrificial wards like a yellow offering or something

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• JakeCannon
    JakeCannon Member Posts: 542

Same . Just got absolutely destroyed on auto yard (again) and with the luck add on they can use they ran thru the gens in 2 min (I kept pressure and hooked a couple of them)

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,738

The map offerings themselves aren't the problem. It's more an indicator of unbalance on certain maps, so ditching those offerings would only be a bandaid fix imo.

Also there are map-dependant killer builds that folks like to run.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

Some have mentioned before that it should work in the opposite way that it currently works in. As in decreasing the chances of the map being chosen.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,374

Map offerings are awesome! Theres some maps I love playing on a lot more than others and if I go awhile without getting them its always good to have a map offering to take me there if I'm wanting to see something different. I only wish they appeared in the blood web more often or maybe an item trade in system where I could trade offerings I never use for them.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

I recomended this in a previous version of this topic, but offerings should be replaced with one for "outdoor" and one for "indoor" since some killers are designed to do better/worse in one vs the other. The specifics of whether you get, say, The Game or Lery's should be left to chance within that category. Very few maps are balanced 50/50 between killer and survivor, so picking specific maps is usually used more to ruin your opponents game than anything.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    edited July 2022

Map offerings greatly exacerbate the problems, both present and future, of any sorts of imbalances in the maps. It's impractical to expect there to be literally no abusable parts of any maps anywhere in the game so "just fix the maps" isn't the answer. But removing map offerings does at least keep encounters to those areas to a minimum.

Also the notion of "map-dependent builds" is a myth, you can run pretty much any build on any map. I've won with Scratch Mirror Meyers on outdoor maps for example, you don't need to use a map offering just to get what people consider a more favorable map for that build.

On top of which, removing map offerings also would noticably improve bloodwebs since map offerings that people don't want would be replaced by other things.

Basically whatever benefits map offerings give are so minor compared to their downsides and the benefits of removing them altogether that they really should just be taken out in my opinion.

• TMCalypso
    TMCalypso Member Posts: 336

I like having map offerings, but they need to be rebalanced. As an example (that I just thought up right now...) The Current map offerings should become killer Specific...maybe increase their rarity to purple? For survivors...bring back the common map offerings and make those exclusive to survivors. You have a small chance of getting the map you want, meaning the killer's offering should win out most of the time...but if all 4 survivors run the same map offering then it would equal the same chance as the killer's making it a 50/50 chance. Also, I agree...make Sacrificial Ward a yellow offering. Maybe remove the negative of four survivor offerings cancelling it as well. The only time you would ever really run it as killer is if you think you are facing a 4-man team, the negative makes it not even worth that. (Does anyone use this offering? Honestly curious.)

• TDtheDoc
    TDtheDoc Member Posts: 226

I see a map offering ,I bounce.Not even gonna waste my time with them.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

What, you guys don't like playing killer on Garden of Joy, Eyrie of Crows, and Fractured Cowshed??? They have so many 50/50 tiles where the best player wins!

I once asked a stacked meta 4-man why they ran a farm map offering when they already have a huge advantage and they told me they got bored of playing on Haddonfield (old version). lol

• boogerboy123
    boogerboy123 Member Posts: 119

i dont have a problem with using map offerings except RPD. if you use rpd offering, you smell of cheese

• Sadako_Best_Girl
    Sadako_Best_Girl Member Posts: 662

They should go back to the old system and tweak it. Re-implement the old map offerings that increased the chances of going to a map slightly and remove the current ones from the survivor pool, make green map offerings killer exclusive and cap the chances of getting a map to 50% or so.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

The problem is that most of the maps are unfair. There are almost zero fair maps for m1 killers.

Most of the pallets in the game cannot be "mind gamed". They remove any skill potential for the killer unless you can just blink through them or instantly destroy them with your power (Nurse/Blight/Nemesis). Note : this would be different if destroying a pallet or getting hit by one did not remove bloodlust.

If you know how to deal with children and desserts the answer is pretty simple. For kids you tell them one will cut the dessert and the other gets to pick which one they want.

If one team uses a farm map offering let the other side pick which version is selected. This would make offerings very "unfun" for most tilesets. Why is that? Imagine you use an offering for Autohaven Wreckers. The killer will always select Wreckers Yard because it is the smallest and the only fair map out of that tileset. What about Coldwind Farm? The killer will always pick Rancid Abbatoir as it is the smallest map by over 1000m². You would never play Disturbed ward because everyone would pick Father Campbell's chapel.

All of the Indoor maps are pretty dreadful (the only fair indoor map was Hawkins). Many killers have this problem where their game crashes if anyone uses an offering to play on that map. All the indoor maps could be on the same selection - in which case every killer would always pick Midwich.

The pallet system needs a complete rework and 90% of the maps need to be made smaller with fewer pallet spawns.

• BubbleBuster
    BubbleBuster Member Posts: 387

Map offerings are the symptom not the disease.

The disease is map balance.

Why do people use "the game", "badham", "eyrie of cringe", "garden of pain" and "Haddonfield" offerings?

Because those maps are extremely favored for Survivors.

The game has more pallets than 5 Shelter Woods combined.

Badham has 3 very good buildings + shack + roads filled with smol loops.

Eyrie of cringe is the pinacle of holding W to win.

Garden of Joy has probably the worst mainbuilding in the entire game with 3 god windows that you can chain together for a near guarenteed 5 minute chase.

Haddonfield is literally just badham + garden of joy, having a ton of buildings but all of them have 1 or 2 things that make them uncounterable.

Sure you can win on these maps because some people don't tryhard/don't know about those windows and pallets you can chain together to win a chase but that doesn't mean they aren't problematic.

I like map offerings as they give players the choice to get maps for certain builds or if they like playing on certain maps but they are as abusable as the maps themselves.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,162

I would rather not remove map offerings completely, but change them: the offerings should not send you to a realm but a group of realms so you can't exploit a certain map. Every realm has the same probability, so e.g. Badham does only count as one.

I would group all realms like this:

Licensed/original, indoor/outdoor, bright/dark