Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Camping and Tunneling

Aradia5589
Aradia5589 Member Posts: 8
edited August 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

I think best thing to do with camping n tunneling killers is that they should receive a blood point penalty or get a notification to go after someone else in the match so that players can have a chance to play the game. what do you think? I think it would resolve this issue. If they did this then maybe killer mains will stop camping and tunneling and give every player the same equal amount of attention.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Garboface
    Garboface Member Posts: 278

Public shaming hasn't run it's due course yet.

• get_barted
    get_barted Member Posts: 207

Blood Point penalties wont do much. For the hunting Emblem for bloodpoints, already ahs this:

• -3 points: deducted each second you are within moderate proximity (16 metres) to a hooked Survivor (only applied after 10 seconds)
    • -7.5 points: deducted each second you are within extreme proximity (8 metres) to a hooked Survivor (only applied after 10 seconds)

Bloodpoint penalties wont stop camping and tunneling. The only true way camping and tunneling can end is if the player themselves make the decision to stop.

• Aradia5589
    Aradia5589 Member Posts: 8

And this is why they should put a notification into it so the killer has no choice but to leave the survivor and go for someone else

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

A notification isnt going to do anything. The only way to lesson camping is to make it less effective the only problem with that is there are times when camping is unavoidable due to survivor actions and the killer shouldnt be punished for that. So it becomes a very tight balance beam to walk.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

Those people dont care for Bloodpoints, they never did. You just have to make it baseline impossible to progress the game with this flaws.

• 6659Leg
    6659Leg Member Posts: 102

Or you can run OTR and completely negate tunneling with 80s of invulnerability/endurance.

Kinship/Kindred for camping

And overcome if need be to really get the hell outta dodge.

Idk,might just be me tbh when I see all these perks available that make tunneling and camping a huge pain to do.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

There will definitely be some survivor players trying to intentionally throw themselves at the killer to make them lose bloodpoints, because people can be like that. This isn’t a good idea.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

1) Slow down the hook timer to 1/2 if the killer is lingering along without being in chase

and

2) give the killer BBQ light as basekit to make then leave the hook: after hooking a survivor show the killer the furthest away survivors aura (minimum 24m away) and give the killer a +15% speed bonus as long as they move away from the hook and are outside of a chase. Deactivate the speed bonus once the killer is within 16m of the showcased survivor.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Not to mention it would punish those who use camping and tunneling when they are supposed to and the right way.....

• Akumakaji

I say "it does work". What now? We are both theory crafting, but who got the better simulation and theory?

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

So the killer player has to show an equal amount of attention to every player every game?

I just… wow.

• VikingDragonXii

No it actually doesn't work because of the fact that I. Some cases you can be in a chase but it's not considered a chase because of LoS blockers ie a hook in a jungle gym etc.

• Akumakaji

No. It's ok to alternate between two survivors, hooking them in tandem. It's just that pure camping and tunneling is rather despised, which is fair guess.

Camping a hook can be a strategy, but I know basically no situations were camping the first hook should be the first solution that springs to mind. Normally camping as a strategy is reserved for the later game, ie when there is just 1 or 2 gens left.

• AvocadoPablo
    AvocadoPablo Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2022

Don't allow killers to pull survivors off a save so an unhook is guaranteed. If you want to take it a step further, give both players Endurance during the save process so killer can't do any damage while unhooking.

They could still tunnel though because they would just wait out the Endurance timer. I'm not sure what they could do to tunneling without ruining the game. It's sad that we are having this discussion to begin with but a lot of killers have no shame. Especially the bad ones.

• Akumakaji

Hmm that's true. I think with this kinda systems people always propose the chase as an easy way yo determine if the killer has a legitimate reason to be there, but that's far from foolproof.

OK, modification: the hook timer is reduced to 1/2 speed if the killer lingers for too long around the hook, unless he is in a chase or had a line of sight to a survivor within 8m of the hook. If a LOS was established, the hook slow down is paused for 30s (sort of inverted kinship).

Together with my proposed baseline BBQ this should shush killers away from the hook, but also prevent too feisty in-your-face unhookings.

• MaudetteClorel
    MaudetteClorel Member Posts: 83

The whole point of the recent update was to allow both sides to use a variety of perks and not feel forced to bring certain perks JUST to have a somewhat normal game. In my experience hardcore camping happens in low tier mmr more often due to the killer being inexperienced so they think the only way to interact with other survivors is to wait for someone to come to the rescue.

in high mmr tho camping and tunneling are used more ‚wisely‘ if you want to call it that,to maybe secure a kill or control a certain area.

then there are people who enjoy the end game salt in chat and who do it on purpose even if it means they’re gonna throw the game for some basement bubba shenanigans.

once you figure out which one of the above you’re facing,it makes it a bit easier to play around it.

• 6659Leg
    6659Leg Member Posts: 102

Well if your experience isn't so normal then ideally you'd bring something to more or less equalize the situation yeah? Plus OTR is literally too valuable to not have on hand,its legit 3 perks in 1 perk so I'm keeping that on me for convenience sake. Although if we're going to be using the argument of "you shouldn't feel forced to bring certain perks to have a normal experience" then a good amount of exhaustion perks wanna say hello lol

Also at high mmr,camping is hard to pull off as opposed to tunneling. Mid mmr (where I'm at) anything can go for you so long as you know how to go about it.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited August 2022

Yes - this is literally the only solution that will get all the complaints about camping and tunneling to stop

• VikingDragonXii

Probably what would be better is either in chase and if a Survivor is within range of the hook as well that would take care of any chase issues or LoS issues. We don't need either Killer or Survivor to abuse any system that's set up.

Also what ever is created has to be something that dosnt punish players who use camping and tunneling in the proper cases.

• Akumakaji

But this could tip the killer off that a survivor is coming for the rescue, even though they haven't noticed them otherwise.

That's why I thought that a LOS component might be needed.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Every situation is where camping your first hook is an elite strategy. It never fails me.

• Akumakaji

But not everyone is a GigaChad Bubba and can deal with the mental strain.

• pseudechis

A player can choose to defend a hook at any point in the game. People can slap all the arbitrary rules on it they want but it doesn’t change that.

The OP states that the killer should apply equal game pressure to all survivors.

When will people figure out that the killer player isn’t there purely to facilitate your expected game experience?

• pseudechis

While we’re at it we can force all killers to never slug and let everyone go at game end too. That should get rid of pretty much all survivor complaints.

Also survivors can only do one gen at a time and have to alternate between tasks such as, gen, totem, gen, chest. That way we can eliminate all complaints about gen rushing too.

I for one welcome our static farming gameplay overlords and their new fun dictatorship.

To think all the time I wasted playing how I want for fun and occasional wins. How naive I was.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Smoke bombs on hooks when a survivor gets hooked the smoke bomb goes off. Makes camping and tunneling harder to do.

The smoke gets thicker if the killer stays close to the hook making going for the rescue a little easier and a lot easier for the one getting off the hook to get away.

And the smoke can be different colors too😀

• Pherian
    Pherian Member Posts: 1

I would make it so after the unhook they have 5 seconds to depart the survivor. Then each second they are within 20meters of the survivor they gain a 5 second movement speed debuff and if they reach 100% movement speed loss after 4 seconds for 20 seconds. The survivor gets a difficult skill check for a 100% chance at a self unhook and if successful the killer has 30 seconds of blindness and inability to move.

• Tragopan
    Tragopan Member Posts: 25

When are we going to see more negative scoring events for actions taking place near the hook or to recently unhooked survivors? With DS being a useless perk now and pain res/dms/pop still so strong almost every game is a camp and tunnel fest. Why leave the hook when you can get gen regression from camping, unless you're a Killer who can pop and be back to hook in a few seconds?

This is why after 3000 hours I cannot bring myself to play anymore. Your actions and skill are pointless when first hook = last hook, or every game is turned into a 3v1 that lasts 40 minutes because the Killer wasn't actually good enough to play the right way but was able to balance the match out by camping and tunneling at 5 gens. Whether you pip or not is entirely out of your hands. What's the fun in that? Where's the balance in that?

I'd say a ticking negative score, and notification (Entity shames you), harsh negative scoring events (with notifications) when committing actions on a recently unhooked survivor (outside of endgame), and overall harsher penalties to scoring when around a hooked survivor, AND a dedicated part of the tutorial that explains why camping and tunneling is frowned upon, would be in the best interest of the game. It is the most serious problem afflicts DBD and it is the only thing that turns away new players. Over my years I've tried many a time to inject life into this game. New blood. None of them stay. Why? Camping and tunneling is too prevalent, too rewarding. Pipping is outside of your control; your score is outside of your control.

Every. Single. One.