a blast mine nerf... really? A perk that does literally nothing

Comments

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,163

Blast mine works like dragon grip for killer now. honestly both dragon grip and blast mine should not go on cooldown if the effect is not triggered.

i know the idea is risk vs reward but the risk does not meet the reward for either of these perks.

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386

WHAT

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Dragons Grip actually does something tho, blast mine blinds the killer for a second it offers no help I feel.

• MaxYibbs
    MaxYibbs Member Posts: 11

This perk was fine the way it was—it wasn't even that strong when you did get use out of it. Y'all nerfing it to the point that it's literally useless now makes no sense, which isn't helped by y'all providing no explanation for it.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

What a meta shake up, nerfing one of the only fun-focused survivor perks. Don't worry I'll just change it for Off the Record or BT now!

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,670

Rizzo, thanks for that answer. I think some people feel that, because Feedback doesn't get as much traffic, viable ideas get "buried." If their idea was filed under "General," then a lot more people would see it, and if a lot more people saw it, then there would be more reactions (especially affirmative). If there are thousands of views and dozens of comments, then there might be more "weight" given to the idea. In other words, BHVR might consider something more if they saw there was a large amount of (mostly affirmative) commentary. And unfortunately, threads like that only happen in "General" because that's the broadest and most popular thread.

• emetSdidnothingwrong
    emetSdidnothingwrong Member Posts: 305

Yeah this is a hard disagree from me as well, ######### bhvr lol.

• Street
    Street Member Posts: 37

Agree. Perk was for memes and challenges. It wasn't good and wasn't worth a perk slot. Circus.

• Alen_Starkly
    Alen_Starkly Member Posts: 1,161

BHVR please revert this change to Blast Mine. It was nowhere near being a META perk. It wasn't even that strong to begin with. You made it completely useless with this change.

• Karth
    Karth Member Posts: 190

blast mine did not needed a nerf man! why!?

• SpaghettiVase
    SpaghettiVase Member Posts: 341

Just wait for next patch when they make smash hit and head-on kill you instantly if you miss the stun.

• Devil_hit11

blast mine stuns killer for 5 seconds. that's like old decisive strike. it interrupts the killer from kicking gen as well. so killer spends like 10 seconds doing nothing from trying to kick gen, the gen stunning killer for 5 seconds then killer kicking the gen. it's pretty strong. often I would work with teammates on gens then plant the mine, the killer kicks it and get stunned and my teammate gets a ton of distance for me planting that mine.

i used it when the perk came out with sb/flashbang/blastmine/bt. it was a meme-type build where 99% my sprint burst to flashbang save people from shoulder and waste killer's time with blastmine by giving my teammates a 5 sec stun on killer kicking gens.

The perk isn't ultra instant-winning by any means but I would give the perk a 4/5 in term of usability. I'd probably rank it somewhere between 10-20 perks you could use as survivor because of how much time it wastes from the killer especially back when pop goes weasel was a meta perk.

Blastmine is now risk vs reward perk though I don't think anyone will use it post-change since risk vs reward perks are usually total garbage in dbd.

dragon grip on other hand is completely useless because it has 90 second cooldown and 30 second activation window. In order to use this perk effectively, you need kick gen then sit near a gen for 30 seconds to get instant down with 2 minute cooldown. If it fails, you accomplished nothing. Its mostly meme perk that some people use with Insidious where you kick gen then you go insidious. I've seen the perk once where the wraith kicked gen and stood still for 30 seconds. Other than that, I have never seen this perk do anything.

You have to be complete rank 20 new survivor to go down by this perk. I'm sure if you look at stats for how many instant downs this perk gives in a match, its probably averages like less 1 down per match like 0.20% instant down ratio.

• SpaghettiVase
    SpaghettiVase Member Posts: 341

I've gotten downs by dragon's grip. I've gotten 4 second stuns that did nothing to keep the gen protected and did nothing to keep me protected. It's a meme perk, dragon's grip can work if you know how to play around it, blast mine is for giggles and to complete blind/stun challenges because you're not good with flashlights or don't wanna bother with pre-drop hold w teammates blowing every pallet they can find.

• Leg
    Leg Member Posts: 18

feedback ignored ✔

• badrepo
    badrepo Member Posts: 93

Terrible decision BHVR.

• FusselTeddy
    FusselTeddy Member Posts: 12

OMG maths isn't one of your strenghs, huh?

Blast mine stunns Killers for 4 seconds and kicking a Generator takes 1.8 seconds (2 seconds before the general Killer Buff). SO 4 + 1.8 = 5.8 or about 6 seconds. If you never kick Generators, you probably don't know how to play Killer (you sound like you play Killer, but you probably don't get many Kills due to being Gen rushed)... Yeah Ruin and other Regression Perks exist, but kicking is essential to win the game - now it's even more viable due to the instant 2.5% regression.

Dragon's Grip is not ment for Killers without mobility. You need to get back to the Gen ASAP, so it works great on Demogorgon, Wraith, Sadako, Billy, ... But not as good on Doctor, Huntress, Trapper, ... Some perks work well with some killers and some don't.

• Devil_hit11
    edited August 2022

do you not know how the perk works?, you need kick gen and after you are about 50% away from kicking gen, you get stunned for 4 seconds. so you spend like 1 sec kicking gen, 4 seconds stunned then you have to rekick gen for 2 seconds and survivor makes a ton of distance for you wanting to kick gen with pop goes weasel, so now you need spend time to catch-up/find a new survivor. super annoying perk to play against as killer that punishes killer for kicking gens.

kicking gens was never worth it. It never worth it at base-kit. the only time killer kicked gens was to use pop goes weasel. I almost never kick gens. Its not worth it. 2.5% regression is pointless joke. the only time kicking gens makes any sense is when you have nothing to do as killer, which is typically in end game when 1-2 survivors are alive or 3 gens.

I only used the perk twice and it was on adept blight achievement. the perk activated a grand total of 0 times and i got adept. No killer would ever use dragon grip in serious build. this perk is complete wasted perk slot on killer for 2 games limited testing.

Its still pretty odd to weaken a survivor perk(blast mine) since I wouldn't consider this meta/gamebreaking, just annoying.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

This has to be an interaction with Ada's perk, Wiretap, that they ddin't want to happen.

• _RupTurE_
    _RupTurE_ Member Posts: 112

I myself think survivor perks that require gen repair should all work off time repairing not percentages. Look at Repressed Alliance. Currently the others like Flashbang, Wiretap, Blast mine all receive nerfs whenever gen speeds change or killers run gen progression slowdowns (thana, gift of pain etc.) All these effect the time it takes to activate the perks while also slowing down the objectives.

If survivor perks that required working on generators worked off time then changes to gen speeds would not effect the perks and I think that is better.

• RonMan32
    RonMan32 Member Posts: 413

Gotta agree with most people here. It's an unnecessary change if it's a change that is supposed to be a nerf. People are saying it's actually fixing a life long bug for the perk. That it was initially intended to force another recharge. That said, they should still revert it or at least make the gen progress needed greatly reduced. I doubt it was an intended as a nerf because it's "too good" and more as a fix to the way it's coded which has it ending up as no longer really usable as an accident.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/343527/can-a-dev-explain-why-blastmine-was-nerfed/ here is another good thread on the subject

Hopefully the devs can see that even the "broken" version of the perk was bad enough that fixing it without any buffs to compensate was a mistake. As both killer and survivor I never found it to be all that useful before the change. As survivor every 3rd game running it I would get 1 use out of it. And out of every time I got "use" out of it only 1/5 of those instances was it actually useful. Maybe I was still nearby and it let me safely escape. Maybe that gen was really close to popping and the killer didn't realize he needed to damage it twice. So on. The other 4 times I'm like on the other side of the map, I get "killer blinded" in the top right which makes me go "hehe" and then the killer just breaks it again and we both move on with our lives. Most of the time it wastes a tiny amount of time that makes no difference in the end result of the match. Truly pre-nerf it was an almost completely useless perk just for fun, and now it IS a completely useless perk.

• Youko
    Youko Member Posts: 187

Just wanted to chime in and say that this was completely unwarranted. Blast Mine was already detectible through the yellow puff of smoke, meaning observant killers could avoid triggering it altogether. I can't see this ever being a viable perk to bring anymore at this point. The payoff is too little.

• randonly
    randonly Member Posts: 456
    edited August 2022

this is not new people, this kind of behavior by the developer of looking only one side to apply several nerfs has already been more than 6 updates in a row

They named the range nurse addons as a nerf when it was actually a bugfix, since the sadako update when the nurse was rehabilitated, the range addons were giving extreme speed to her, and yet they (devs) said it was like that.

And in that same update from sadako they also nerfed the yoichi parental guidance perk, a niche perk that have the effectiveness reduced from 10 to 7 seconds >even before reaching the official server<< (https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/312298/about-parental-guidance-nerf)

Devs don't even try to hide the BS anymore....

• Cybil
    Cybil Member Posts: 1,163

I'm assuming the nerf was regarding the aura reading trivializing better together. That and they probably want all gen trap perks to be more uniform as a way to define them amongst the other perks.

• nivomi
    nivomi Member Posts: 15

Finally, a perk that's even harder to use and less rewarding than Dragon's Grip!

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 702

No offense but has anything in this forum in the last six months been applied to the actual game? I can hardly blame people for feeling like they are being censored when it's just thrown in here.

Sure officially it's not hidden but the numbers would surely tell you how many people actually look at the feedback forum and you say other forum users can't make changes but some of the biggest complaints (solo queue, tunnelling, camping) that have been on going have been basically left as they are despite loads of good ideas. So while nothing changes if it's being posted in general, nothing changes if it's posted in feedback AND it falls on deaf ears as well.

Granted I'll be honest, there's a fair amount of well um... junk... here but there's a lot of great ideas that don't get used to deal with common problems that get talked about in general EVERY day.

I check the discussions tab rather then general discussion so I see everything but I've got a really solid idea coming up that 'should' go in creations but the last time I did that one person replied. Someone else put a (much) less detailed thing of the same post in general and it got a much larger response until it was moved into feedback where it was left to rot.

People honestly want to be heard, it doesn't matter by who or what but it's incredibly disheartening putting effort into an idea and it just gets ignored.

• Xane
    Xane Member Posts: 61

and yet you people still play this game and will never learn your lesson. All you do is whine and give them money while you cry. No wonder they do stuff like this, cause yall keep giving them money. They don't care, you freaking people need to wake up.

• allMadhere
    allMadhere Member Posts: 101

Used to be one of my favorite perks, equipped on almost every survivor. I saw it as something that, while functionally useless, was just comedic and felt good to show teammates which gen I'd been working on. I've now gone and removed it from everyone. Just like Iron Will.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,164

I think they couldn't fix the bug from ptb with Wiretap properly or thought that you could "abuse" it somehow.

And nerfed it.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,164

It's one of the reasons why Repressed Alliance is so bad. It takes too long to activate and it's gone once used.

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,564

Bruh...

A perk that was never problematic nor was S tier yet they thought the need to nerf it.

• FeryGEN
    FeryGEN Member Posts: 628

No, you misunderstood, I think they nerfed it because the perk is hard to bypass for killers who don't use Surge/Jolt, they have to hit Mine in the face, and with Ada's aura perk, they have no choice to disable the perk. I think that was the real reason.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,974

They can't know if Blast Mine and Wiretap are activated

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

What's not to understand? Look through the Recent Discussions. You'll see much higher view/reply counts for threads in General than in Feedback.

Feedback and Suggestions are where threads go to die.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Solution: Start reading the Feedback section more often. There's nothing stopping people.

Anyways, this change seems extremely unnecessary, and I can't imagine balance being the reason behind such a nerf.

• Kaapskaaps
    Kaapskaaps Member Posts: 58

Really hope they revert this change. This makes no sense. Who was complaining about blast mine?

• FeryGEN
    FeryGEN Member Posts: 628

The fact that they do not know about it does not mean that they cannot guess if they are well read at the generator.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979

Probably someone got salty that survivors could put it back on it and complained to BHVR so they nerfed it lol

Or more likely, it was a salty dev playing killer and complained to the rest of the team lol

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979

Yeah, definitely way too OP perk, next they should just have it be disabled as a conspicuous action!

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,974

Yeah, so? Every killer need to guess whether the survivor is running DH, DS, OTR, Unbreakable etc

• Apostrophe
    Apostrophe Member Posts: 16

As a killer main who occasionally plays survivor, I can genuinely say that the one thing that has made playing survivor even an ounce of fun for me was the addition of blast mines. But this nerf really just makes the perk completely useless at this point and stops my desire to play the survivor role dead in it's tracks.

Too many times, if I set the blast mine when I see the killer coming close and then hide/run away, the killer simply ignores the generator and chases me all across the map until he's hooked me, and by that point, the mine has already deactivated (even if he did go back to kick it afterwards.) And because so many killers use perks like Jolt which lets them regress gens automatically, they never even bother to take that detour to kick the gen anyway. With flashbangs and flashlights, when you use them on the killer, there's a very good chance that they'll work in your favor since it depends on your own skill in either when and where you dropped the flashbang or your abilities in aiming the flashlight. With the Blast Mine, it's entirely luck based depending on if the killer themselves decides to kick the generator instead of first pursuing the Survivor.

The fact that you could reset it if the killer never touched your gen gave you an opportunity to maybe get some use out of it. Especially considering how long it takes to enable the perk to begin with. I could see ways to fix this issue, such as:

1. Blast Mines taking less times to build, like maybe if it took 50% of a gen instead of 66% to build one, or
    2. If you could stack more than one Blast Mine in your inventory at a time and thus start the progress towards a acquiring a second Blast Mine immediately after the first one is created, or
    3. If you could begin the progress towards a new Blast Mine the moment the first one is set (rather than after it explodes/times out.)

I feel like any of these options could make the perk somewhat useful again, but as it stands now after this change, it's pretty much a worthless perk. And that's unfortunately because I was starting to enjoy playing Survivor on occasion.

• Visi
    Visi Member Posts: 49

Well if the goal was to drop its usage to 0.003% by the playerbase, well done.

• sir_goat_
    sir_goat_ Member Posts: 12

i support everything about what you all wrote here, i also wrote something about it, i want my perk back ):