Otz taking a break

Comments

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

0 gen defense is the worst, I'm sorry but it's kinda forced as you have no reward for doing your objective or going towards it.

I personally want games longer than 5mins and I HAVE to use gen defense to ensure that happens just so I can get a game with some actual gameplay.

Iv never been able to use fun builds like the one you showed, it's also why I hate adepts because it's just random if you get people that dont do gens. Otz has had some pretty lucky games back in the day with chill players just look at his AFK challenge where some of those games went on longer than most I have with gen defense even with downing faster.

Prompts to otz for sticking to it without breaks I couldn't do it, but if hes finally getting enough of these issues when nothing has really changed for the higher level hes just finally experiencing it himself

• He's taking a break from kill streak challenges. Not from the game itself.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

unfortunately hackers can bypass this, pc hackers were getting into console matches before crossplay was even officially turned on

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2022

Changing game as streamer is dangerous if being a streamer is your main/only source of income, some people manage to make the switch and maintain the same or even bigger fanbase but others lose way too many spectators/revenue and are forced to go back or quit streaming altogether and find a job, I can understand why some of them force themselves to stream stuff they no longer enjoy, its like going to work a place you no longer enjoy but since it pays the bills you swallow it up and keep going in.

Not a bad solution but I doubt it will ever happen, Im not sure 100% how EPIC games works exactly but as far as I know every free game they give away the creator receives money from EPIC like if it was a sale, even if they never launch the game, so making it less appealing will make less people getting it and thus less free money for BHVR in future giveaways. Funny side effect of a marketing campaign.

• HauntedKnight
    HauntedKnight Member Posts: 388

There’s a massive difference between being targeted by hackers and it ruining your games and bemoaning the fact that survivors are bringing stuff like toolboxes with BNP, using prove thyself and hyper focus etc.

The former is a serious problem (Otz also mentioned DDOS as well) and seriously needs addressing. People say streamers shouldn’t get special privileges and I agree, but stuff needs to be put in place to stop people being held hostage for hours or face DC penalties through no fault of their own. I don’t understand why it seems like this isn’t a massive priority for the devs- it’s a seriously bad and embarrassing look for the game.

The latter complaint however regarding “Gen rush” builds does come off a little (only a little) entitled. However to counter that, I think Otz probably now feels like through a combination of various factors that he can’t really do any special challenges anymore, which is probably going to render the game very stale for him. Whatever side you’re playing, there are stronger perks/add ons/items etc that you can bring and unfortunately if you don’t bring those things (which Otz tries not to) and the opposition brings the strongest things they can then the match will be tough and you’ll probably lose. At which point there’s no point crying about it. But it means stuff like challenges and win streaks are probably too stressful to even bother with now and with that I do sympathise.

• SluggedSurvivor
    SluggedSurvivor Member Posts: 51

Wow, Otz taking a break says a lot about the state of the game…

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

That sucks... But it's good to take a break

• mischiefmanaged
    mischiefmanaged Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 374

Probably a good thing. He's entertaining to watch, but the killstreaks haven't really been my favorite especially with the cheaters making it mostly impossible.

The minute that he starts having difficulty with the match he kind of goes into a frenzy trying to figure out if they're cheating. Which kind of causes him to start making a lot of bad decisions. Chat then starts acting like an ass and he lets them get to him. Or he'll be in one of his killstreak mindsets but will just let people get free unhooks when they misplay. I'm all for playing more kind in the name of sportsmanship, but playing nice while you're intentionally trying a challenge that requires you not to and then complaining about how you can't play nice and still dominate is a bit strange to me.

He also doesn't use addons intentionally for the challenge but bemoans survivors for not playing by the same arbitrary rules he decided for his challenge. Like he expects people to just drop their toolboxes with BNPs just because he's playing Wesker with no addons but they have no idea he's using no addons and they... want to win too?

I hope he starts to feel a bit better. Definitely one of the more wholesome streamers and helped me learn a lot about the game. He's pretty clearly not been having fun lately.

And the cheater problem at his MMR is pretty serious right now. I don't think I run into it at my current level but major streamers seem to run into it constantly.

• Lochnload_exe
    Lochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,360

It is true, the game might be in the best spot it has ever been in (in my eyes) but it is also in one of its most problematic times.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

Good riddance I say, the dude accuses anyone who outplays him of hacking in some way shape or form, otz is a good player don't get me wrong and he's friendly but when he gets outplayed he flips a switch and starts questioning the survivors immediately, and acting like the game doesn't count because he "thinks" someone might be hacking.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Because may you like it or not, he's probably the biggest face of DBD. It's not about being a streamer or voicing an opinion, everybody got one, and I dont think thats the point of OP.

He's been broadcasting "Into the fog" event, the ONE and ONLY official DBD event, and 2 days later he's off the game ? The dude is real with himself and doesn't force himself to play /sell the game. This is just sad to actually see this type of stuff happen.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,295

Going to admit OTZ is one of the few big content creators that motivates me to keep trying to help new players. OTZ has always been an amazing source of information and always helpful to all skill levels of the community. I remember the last stream of his I saw (I don't watch Twitch often) on his Wesker streak attempts and he was incredibly frustrated and paranoid dealing with snipers which understandably so.

I feel a break would be good for him - Enjoy other things in life. He doesn't owe this game anything.

• HauntedKnight
    HauntedKnight Member Posts: 388

I love and hate that in my mind I read your last sentence in a very northern English accent.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    edited September 2022

I watched his first game on the stream and at the 10 minute mark he goes into more detail and, yes, it sounds like a lot of it has to do with him being tired of stream snipers and cheaters. It also sounds like he’s still probably going to play DbD but just isn’t interested in doing crazy challenges and such, he might be thinking of just splitting his time between DbD casual games for fun and other games he hasn’t tried yet like Hades which he was playing at the end of the stream.

P.S. Also a bit later he goes on to say the game itself is actually overall in the best shape its ever been for most players, it’s the issues he has as a high profile streamer that are frustrating him (sniping, cheating, mostly going against Nurse and Blight at his MMR, problems at his MMR with Hyperfocus right now, etc.) None of which impacts average players, it’s instead high end, prolific player/streamer issues.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

He should stop doing kill streaks and then tank his MMR offstream! That way he can go back to having fun with Trapper or something

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Think we all need a small break from games from time to time, even one of the best players.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,905

Surprised this has not happened sooner. The burn out he must feel from the amount of time he puts into this game. Plus all his YouTube content too.

• Bot_Salvo88
    Bot_Salvo88 Member Posts: 1,230

He can go and play Civilization

• Ginnypig
    Ginnypig Member Posts: 159

I mean, with all the respect to Otz, for a guy that makes 50k a month playing dbd. I wouldve quit it long time ago, no amount of money can help you endure what he has to.. Beeing a succesful streamer day in day out playing dbd, insanity!!!!!!

Hope devs will figure out, but i doubt it. Good luck to Otz whatever he does.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

Don’t blame him, cheaters make the game unplayable.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699
    edited September 2022

The first 30min of his most recent broadcast is filled with him discussing his frustrations as of late.

This is more speculation on my part, as he maintains the position that it is just cheaters & snipers driving him away from the game, but I believe he feels helpless (about all of the game's problems) despite his status and contributions to the community, and is in need of something that will give him satisfying returns on his investments.

Here is a clip from his last stream, talking about taking a break. I labeled it 'Part 1' as I anticipate finding something a little more concrete later, which I can link you to as well, because this is in no way an official statement about taking a leave from DBD.

Edit: Otz clarifying to his viewers that he still wants to play DBD

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

I'm on console and can't lobby shop, but of the 3 most recent hackers I had to report over the weekend, 2 out of 3 were anonymous mode

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Back to Souls with he.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Can't blame him.

It's hard to know if someone's subtly cheating or just good and it can absolutely ######### with you.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,395

On the last bit, that's an issue with any large streamer.

I faced a big streamer a while back and their chat was so insisted that I was cheating because I was able to sneak away injured without Iron Will largely due to Shadow Step.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

Oh a reporting system relying entirely on players to record all their games and do all the work backed up only by a terrible anti-cheat that doesn't really work is leading to the game being miserable? Who could have possibly seen this coming?

BHVR has been ignoring this issue for years and it's finally becoming too much, we'll see if they take it more seriously now that the game is becoming literally unstreamable but probably not.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

I've never reported people because recording full games on Xbox is basically impossible

• Gary_Coleman
    Gary_Coleman Member Posts: 732

He is on a list and you could get into his games, guaranteed, for money.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Just FYI Otz posted a YouTube explanation of his thinking right now. Basically it boils down to how when he streams he is constantly worried about being streamsniped, cheaters, and even worse DDOS'd. So it's all issues with being a prolific streamer of the game versus the actual game mechanics that's frustrating him currently.

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464

He is rich through his streams, he dont deserve to complain when it is literally his job and a easy one compared to many other jobs. Stream sniping is bad, yes, but he gets money from it so no need to be sore, hacks are annoying and should be banned but he is paid to endure that, DBD gave him A LOT of money through views, donations and increase in popularity. He is using vpn, good, DDOS is awful, but he surely wont quit of course, why would he? Either way there is no need to feel bad for him, yes the issues are glaring, cheaters, sniping and DDOS attacks are bad especially DDOS, but gaining THAT MUCH MONEY he gets from it i would not complain at all.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,395

People should deal with harassment just because they are making money. ######### off with this.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

I really don't get the thing with gen times.

"Oh no, the game is in such a bad state right now, because of BNPs" – dude like, you played the game back when BNPs were insta gens.

Gen times are at their slowest in history.

Keep nerfing all speeds, but don't buff solo Q.

Gen times are NOT a problem. SWF is the problem.

When playing solo q, you have to be lucky to see 1 gen pass. Let alone 5.

• INoLuv

In his case, just use the vpn like he is doing and is alright. His problem is not that awful and traumatic, LOADS of money from literally just streaming and playing, tell me you wont love to exchange a normal underwhelming job for his job which is to PLAY and sometimes make guides (still wayyy better than any other job). No, he is not suffering that much, his "harassment" is not that big of a deal, right now he is streaming as always.

• HectorBrando
    edited September 2022

Yeah most streamer chats are echo-chambers, Ive been accused like five times of subtle cheating as Myers by increasing my speed, it always goes as this "Uh this Myers looks fast" then the chat starts "he is cheating, either PWYF or he is cheating" and then "lol obvious subtle cheater", if they bring the accusation in post game chat I try to reason with them due to Myers animations he seems slower than he really is, even if the streamer ends up convinced the chat still spams "cheater, cheater, cheater".

Being sorrounded by people bombarding you with the same ideas over and over cant be good for your own perception of the world, happens a lot in real world, sometimes Something™ gets blown out of proportion by the press and suddenly everyone is afraid of Something™, even when the cops go out and say there was only one case in the last year people are still super scared of being victims of Something™.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I played against a Nemesis the other day who was running more than 4 perks.

Because I was running Saboteur, I could see he had Monstrous Shrine. He was also running Devour Hope, Undying, Ruin, Haunted Ground, and cleansing totems took about as long as if he had Thrill of the Hunt.

I said to my friends very early in the trial, "This killer is cheating, but we have no way of proving it to the devs. The video file size to prove he is cheating would be too large for their system to process. Everyone report in post-game, and then laugh about how our report will get thrown out for lacking a ticket and evidence."

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

The fastest solo gen in history was as fast as you could press m2 and space. Which wasn't longer than .5 seconds.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,322

I get that, perhaps that is what the game needs, streamers to walk away until the cheating is dealt with, i almost see a cheather every time i play now. And im not playing very much anymore because of that.

I mean, now when i see a survivor or a killer do something good, im always thinking "wonder if hes cheating" instead of "wow that guy is good". Thats how common cheating is in this game now, and that is really not how it should be.

• INoLuv
    edited September 2022

This is what is happening to Otz? He is streaming and i dont see it, i just see he complaining that a killer was camping and that a killer hit him on hook at endgame chat.

• HectorBrando

He is rich through his streams, he dont deserve to complain when it is literally his job

You are making it worse, since streaming is his source of income and they are not letting him earn a living. Anyone who gets to his workplace and finds someone not letting them perform it would call the cops and they would deal with the situation but alas, the cops in this case are using an anticheat that doesnt work instead of handcuffs and nighsticks...

• ScottJund
    ScottJund Member Posts: 1,115

Actually its even worse. A better comparison would be if Brad Pitt was filming a movie and a guy poked him every 20 seconds, ruining the scene and making the movie unable to be completed. That's what the cheaters are to streamers.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,857

Wow... the idea that Otz should just shut up and accept this treatment because he is very successful is just an appalling sentiment. No wonder I rarely play DBD now, the attitude of many who play this game is really awful and it often ruined my day.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,648

It's honestly hard to believe how little communication BHVR is doing about this whole cheater problem. We understand that you can't fix everything overnight but not even aknowledging the problem and remaining silent is not going to work. There have been various ideas on how to deal with the situation but nothing has changed. I understand why Otz would decide not to stream DBD anymore when he has to worry every single game about getting stream sniped, held hostage or apparently even getting ddosed.

• INoLuv

He is able to stream, he is doing it right now, it is not making him impossible to stream well, dont be dramatic.

Cheaters are a problem, yes, but he is still able to stream and DCing wont hurt, we all do it. He still can get money easily from it without much effort, even playing as survivor he still is doing well, he dont need to perform on killer games every time to be paid, Brad pitt is performing every time, his case is actually bad if happens.

I bet you would love to be in his place and would not complain. His problem is so bad that now today he was upset that the killer was camping and that a killer hit him on hook, he spend then some time talking about killers who camp, so the DDOS is such a big problem that he spends most of his time whining about camping, okay. He is doing perfectly well.

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448

Even if the video file is heavy, you can post it on Youtube as private and share the link in the support's ticket. That's what i always do.

• Araphex
    Araphex Member Posts: 696

In a way I'm glad he feels the same way I do about this game nowadays. Not glad that he feels this way, but the fact that I don't feel alone. I also don't stream and I still ran into similar issues he complained about. And I get it. He tried to be the voice of the community and the devs ignored him (and many others) and it's frustrating. I really hope the devs hear him out because this is where we all are with this game. Fed up.

I'd love to keep playing but the game needs some major overhauls... Cheating overall. Auto dead-hard, stream-sniping, subtle cheats in general... This is how games die and I would hate to see DBD die as well but here we are. Not enough is being done to quell the cheats and it feels like it's not a priority. But like I said, I hope the devs have something up their sleeve.

Then there's the killers who have never been fixed. Freddy, Sadako, ect. And solo Q is a mess. Hate messages on console that never stop (and won't without anonymous mode).

Main point, I don't feel safe playing this game like Otz says. So now I'm playing solo games as this game has literally ruined my online gaming experience.