Time limited outfits...

GoodBoyKaru
GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

So, looking at the Trailer for the newest DBD event (which, tangent, Haunted By Daylight? Babes where's the creativity) it looks pretty cool. I like the event, I like the new Event cosmetics, I like the Event Tome cosmetics too.

But one thing struck me when watching the Trailer that's really left a bad taste in my mouth. Time limited cosmetics.

For those who missed it, the outfits for Dwight and Jane are both time-limited exclusives (as you can see in the "Available for a limited time only" sticker)

And I just need to know, who asked for this. Why are we, in a paid for game, with paid for DLCs, locking cosmetics now behind time walls too?

Who asked for this?! Why are we gatekeeping cosmetics from those who aren't playing during the time frame, or from those who simply can't afford to purchase them? Why punish the worst off who need to save their money to get something they like?

Make it make sense. This is the type of behaviour I'd expect from Hi-Rez, not you. I'm so genuinely disappointed.

What a horrible idea. The more I see this in games, the less I spend.

Comments

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

I feel the same way about rifts/battlepass stuff sometimes

But at least there's a chance of that stuff coming to the store eventually

• MrT1412
    MrT1412 Member Posts: 108

They had time limited cosmetics last year, and they're bringing them back for this event. It's not that bad

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

It's all about the money. "Hey you can get this, but ooooonly this week, better buy it before it disappeara so you can say you got it." I noticed in the player survey I did for dbd the other week it asked me what events I liked the idea of limited time cosmetics on. Notably it didn't ask me if I liked the concept of limited time cosmetics or not lol.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033
  • UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

We know it wont be that available for limited time it will return next halloween with shard price.

• neb
    neb Member Posts: 790

FOMO yeahhhhhhh

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,897

No time window is going to stop me from get that Dweet one. Toilet paper Mummy outfit. Might be his funniest one yet.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

This does not look like it will be the case with those two cosmetics.

Usually, when a Rift-Cosmetic is introduced, it is exclusive for some time until it hits the Shop. For themed Cosmetics (like Halloween) it will take around a year, so we can expect Mikaelas Witch-Outfit to be part of the Store this Halloween.

However, those Outfits look like Store-Outfits and with them being available for a limited time, it probably means that you will be able to get them now and then never again. And this really should not be the case.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

No the 2 cosmetics shown for Dwight + Jane are confirmed to be in the store. The Deep Rift (ie permanent Rift exclusives) are just alternate versions of the already existing Rift cosmetics, so think the additional Ghostface masks shown.

Because we need more Charms, they couldn't have just stuck those in the already existing 70 tiers.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,446

Because today is apparently terrible-ideas-day I want to post mine!

In addition to only being available for a certain time, the cosmetics are now rented. You decide how long you want to rent them for, and after that time they are removed from your inventory forever. You can only "initiate" the rent process during a limited time.

Or! Outfits now have a limited number of charges, and are also (of course) only available during a limited time. Every time you use an outfit it loses charges and once the charges are gone you can never, ever use that outfit ever again. Due to a bug linked cosmetics (because everyone loves these, and that's why they still need to be a thing!) consume 3x the amount of charges.

BHVR you may now hire me as your chief of marketing.

Some spreadsheet magic probably spat out the result that by making limited cosmetics there is a 0.001% increase in profits, even when taking lowered player satisfaction into account, and that's why it's happening.

🦆🦂

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Well hopefully that means they would still be available for future Halloween events? Like, time limited but not only one timeframe? Pretty please?

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Well. I am not negotiating. It’s already a done deal.

they may change it of course but then, just to be clear, I would be completely for not limited at all.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

Welp, guess me and my tight budget don't matter.

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386

BHVR is very much a company.They've been really behaving as one a lot lately.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,446

I responded in those surveys that they should add charms to the in-game store to prevent any FOMO at all.

This literally gives them more money and it makes players happy.

But no. Exclusives are better apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

🦆🦂

• Nihlus
    Nihlus Member Posts: 301

The level of entitlement in this community never ceases to amaze me. "Everyone should be able to get everything!" I disagree. I'd prefer if there were ways to earn them than just buy them, but I completely disagree with this entire concept that exclusive, rare, or even unique items are bad.

• Tsukah
    Tsukah Member Posts: 390
    edited October 2022

This is the kind of crap Hi-Rez keeps doing with Paladins

You want the cosmetic but you don't have the money for it at the moment and then the next few days it's gone

Time limited stuff is dumb