Time limited outfits...

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

oh god don't tell me about it

I've been waiting to get Yellow Jacket Willo for ages, and of course the 2 days I'm unable to play are the 2 days it's in the Bounty Store and I miss it :')

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Just because you disagree doesn’t mean everyone with another opinion is entitled or shouldn’t share their opinion on it.

if you like time limited exclusive items in games, that’s okay, no one said you can’t like them.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Or they did understand what it meant and "The people get the government they deserve"...

• GoodBoyKaru

Can't be on this thread, every notification has been accounted for.

• Robotfangirl67
    Robotfangirl67 Member Posts: 640

Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous as well. I mean I was planning to spend money on the event anyway. I mean I was planning to spend about 10 dollars for Ghostface’s tomb. But I didn’t want to spend more money then I wanted to spend.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

Will these outfits NEVER be avaliable again? Or just rotate back into the store next Halloween?

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

The game is undeniably on a decline, and this is one of the strategies being used to try and pull people back in, using FOMO. If it works, then expect FOMO cosmetics to be as common as tome ones.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Right...those should be at least available in store after half a year or something. Time wall is too exclusive.

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 449

I'm ignoring games which have too much limited time skins. Last one was Rumbleverse.

If there are rarley just 2 seasonal skins each year, I can live with that. It's always annoying if a skin exist that you can't earn or buy, which is fitting to another skin.

There are people who like fitting outfits and not just flexing with limited items.

• Mooks

Have to partially disagree here: the NFTs don’t exist and there is no known connection anymore between BHVR and NFTs, the Hellraiser NFTs weren’t using BHVRs models but artwork from an independent artist!

also, at least they mentioned they would be reviewing original sets (though that feels like ages ago and nothing happened yet) and sets with same pieces as default are only licensed sets, right?

• GoodBoyKaru

"the Hellraiser NFTs weren’t using BHVRs models but artwork from an independent artist!"

Correction. The Hellraiser NFTs are currently using artwork from sn independent artist and aren't using BHVR models anymore.

• Mooks

I thought they only talked about it but they never actually existed? I thought just saw some mock-ups by the community…

• GoodBoyKaru

The community mock ups were them mocking the official ones.

• Mooks

Oh well.

point still stands though, after community feedback, they backed off of NFTs. Still leaving a bitter taste of course. But it’s at least something.

• The_Scarlet_Witch
    The_Scarlet_Witch Member Posts: 209

yum

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Technically aren't the prime skins also time limited? I want my artist outfits but idk if they're ever gonna come to the store :(

• BarnesFlam
    BarnesFlam Member Posts: 654

Yep. I also hope they will be coming to the store at a later date, especially since they are not a collection especially made for Amazon Prime, but from already established collections.

• BringShaggytoDBD
    BringShaggytoDBD Member Posts: 412

Exactly my thoughts at this moment in time. Getting so fed up of their BHVR (pardon the pub).

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170
    edited October 2022

Well, not the last two prime rewards for sure, apparently the new stance of BHVR on time-limited skins is: "We don't support time-limited exclusive skins to avoid excluding parts of the community, but if you pay us we're totally cool with that" 🤷🏻‍♂️

• LittleBigSunset
    LittleBigSunset Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2022

We've already had 'time-limited' cosmetics in the form of Rift cosmetics and the playerbase have been fine with them since the Rift got added (even though it is hard to grind if you don't play the game much and/or have a busy schedule). BHVR are just casting the net wider to see what else they can get away with - Rifts got accepted without community backlash because battle passes in games have become 'the norm'. Now they're trying to integrate even more limited time cosmetics into events in the hopes that the community accept it as the new 'norm'.

I hate this rubbish in games. It's exploitative through FOMO, is generally greedy, screws over new players who miss out on the content, and is literally impossible to argue that it is player-friendly or benefits the game in ANY way. The only benefit this practice has is bringing in BHVR more money, which considering how monetised the game is already (for a game that is not FTP as well) is ridiculous, outfits are overpriced etc.

• LittleBigSunset

How would you argue that this practice of 'limited-time' cosmetics is good for the game? How is it beneficial to the playerbase to have cosmetics that are not only gated off behind a paywall, not in-game investment, but a paywall that is only around for a few weeks before the item is gone for good?

The only reason this practice is being added is to pressure more people into going through that paywall for cosmetics because of FOMO. It doesn't make the items exclusive or unique or add any sense of achievement to those cosmetics. It just means that you caved and bought an outfit because otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy it at all in a few weeks.

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651

First off I know I am the minority and I am about to get blasted for this, but why are people getting so worked up about cosmetics that do nothing to the actual gameplay? If you want them, buy them! If you can't, then don't! Either way the game is going to play exactly the same.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

I personally believe these outfits will be like in OW1, where event related outfits were only available for purchase during events, and the new ones were more expensive (for dbd, new ones are auric cell only, old ones are iri sharss available too).

Still pretty terrible tactic, but not as bad as exclusives.

It's the same with legacy. Such an amazing thing to prestige during the old system!

The only exclusive I'd like to have is an anniversary shirt. On your anniversary of playing the game, you get a new shirt on all survivors and a charm on all killers with the number of years you have been playing for.

• Lycidas

There's a couple of key differences between the Rift and time-limited skins like they were announced:

1- The Rift is available for way longer than the time-limited skins that they announced, so it's easier to complete it even if you can't play for a certain period (seriously, I managed to complete the second Rift in a month when I had to move)

2- Completing the Rift comes with a sense of achievement, since you need to "work" for it, whereas the time-limited skins are just..throw money at something and gg

3- Completing the Rift refunds you all the Cells you used for it, and even if you don't complete it, you get some of them back at least

4- If you're a "free player" you still have something to gain from the Rift, since it has a free track

Time-limited skins like they were announced are just..bad for the community, potentially dangerous for the game and just a negative thing altogether

• ElodieSimp
    ElodieSimp Member Posts: 385

Literally most games do this to a degree. Don't like it, vote with your wallet.

• GoodBoyKaru
  • LittleBigSunset
    edited October 2022

1) True, but the Rift is still a decent grind if you do not play the game regularly. It's been improved for the most part though (ironically the earlier Rifts were the ones I found harder to complete while you found them easier regardless). My critique of the Rift is more of battle passes in general. I think this game has a not too grindy battle pass compared to other games like COD or now Overwatch 2. I so so wish old battle passes could be revisited though and progressed at any point.

2) True, to a point. The Rift tiers can be bought with Cells, which defeats the whole point of showing off Rift rewards to show your dedication to the game. I have seen people with Tier 70 tier rewards within the first few days of a Rift dropping because they were able to buy out the whole Rift with Cells. It also reinforces my point of FOMO, BHVR knows some players will buy out the Rift with a ridiculous amount of Cells if they feel they cannot complete the Rift in time because of the fact that none of the cosmetics are guaranteed to come back, if ever.

3) True. This has been the main reason for buying Rifts that typically don't interest me. I know I'm going to complete the Rift anyway so I have nothing to lose.

4) Again, true, but these 'rewards' are usually lackluster at best and are very tame compared to the paid track rewards. In fact I remember on some Rifts that the free track would reward you part of an outfit, say the head, while the torso and legs were locked behind the paid track. So the free rewards were in some cases being used to incentivise you to buy the paid track so that you could complete an outfit. Which rubs me wrong, to be honest.

They are largely different, but the concept is still the same. The Rift is all about limited-time cosmetics and FOMO. But because it mixes in gameplay and isn't so hard to complete while refunding your spent Cells, the community has accepted it as part of the game. Now BHVR are trying to see if they can push the boat out further. Hopefully they fail, because the announced cosmetics leave a very bitter taste in my mouth.

• Lycidas
    edited October 2022

1- No, no, don't get me wrong, earlier Rifts were harder to complete compared to the new ones, but still they were doable if you had kind of a limited time. I dislike battle passes as well (with a few exceptions, like Sea of Thieves and Marvel Avengers, the first one because it massively benefit free players, the second one because it's not time limited) but I find them "tolerable" as a market tactic

2- Yeah, those kind of people exists, personally I'll never understand why they buy tiers on day 1 since you could wait up until the very last day of the Rift to do so (and therefore spend less), but oh well

3- Exactly, if you can complete it every time, it's 1000 times more a better deal than any other skin, I have been buying all the past Rifts with an initial investment of only 10€, which is a great amount of content for that amount

4- I agree, earlier Rifts were way better on this than newer ones, and at least they are trying to sweeten the pills by adding bloodpoints to it, but it's still not enough IMO

Yeah, I very much hope they fail on this initiative, and I don't understand the people who defend this choice.

We have nothing to gain as a community from this limited-time crap

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160

When the devs first announced the rift they said 6 months after the rift the cosmetics would be available in store - they've been not great at getting the rift cosmetics to the store like promised. The rift cosmetics weren't advertised as a time-limited earn them now or never have them, they were advertised as earn them through game play now or buy them few months later with cells or shards. When 6 months hit after the first rift tons of players were asking where were the rift cosmetics in the store because BHVR said they would be there after 6 months.

Players still ask on BHVR social media accounts when are the old rift cosmetics going to be in the store because they've been waiting awhile for them to be available. Players were annoyed by the Plague rift cosmetic being an outfit in Amazon prime because not only did alot already own the cosmetic but those that didn't and don't have Amazon Prime were wondering why it didn't go to the store instead.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,446
    edited October 2022

When the devs first announced the rift they said 6 months after the rift the cosmetics would be available in store

They said most cosmetics would become available in the store after a minimum period of 6 months. Most != all. It's entirely possible that the things that will not become available are the charms but to my knowledge it has never been clarified.

And the updated website doesn't even say that anymore (at the very least I can't find this information anymore), so it's also entirely possible that going forward nothing will become available in the store.

The Tricks and Treats Collection and Midnight Grove Collection will be in the Dead by Daylight store from October 11th to November 3rd, 11 ET.

So they are time limited, but it doesn't say that they won't return next year. Though it also doesn't say that they will return. Has there been any official statement yet?

🦆🦂

• BarnesFlam

They just published a blogpost about those cosmetics...

No explication about the time-frame. GOD, THIS BLOWS.

• Lycidas
    edited October 2022

Wait, so even Mikaela's and the Doctor's one year-old skins are time limited?

Wow, just wow.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,446

The previously released Midnight Grove Collection, which includes Very Rare Outfits for Mikaela Reid and The Doctor, will also be available during this time.

Yes.

And don't forget about the new battlepass cosmetics which are also kind of time limited. Only available while the battlepass is available, if you grind enough, and then never again*.

* My interpretation from the following post on the website:

Progress beyond Tier 70 of the Archives and earn new Deep Rift Outfits, variations of new Outfits exclusive to The Rift.

"exclusive to The Rift" sure doesn't sound like the plan is to bring those outfits to the shop, ever.

🦆🦂

• BarnesFlam

Yes, that was announced as the same time as Dwight and Jane"s outfits.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited October 2022

Pretty sure they have brought back every limited, exclusive, and special event cosmetic aside from Legacy skins