Shorter and Clearer Perk Descriptions

Options
Ivanynakov
Ivanynakov Member Posts: 235
edited April 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Make perks ability description shorter, clearer and easier to read.

My friend is new player and has really hard time navigating through perks. I remember myself being overwhelmed when I first started. And when take breaks from DBD I need to go though it again. Please make it easier!

Here is an example of how it could look like:

1. I made structured logic behind it when I started with highlighted CONDITION, followed by the shortest possible description of perk while using shortcuts and icons (in this case meters, seconds, and radius)
  2. I also separated the GAMEPLAY description from LORE desciprtion by separator line. And made LORE more transparent so GAMEPLAY description remains the main text.
  3. I deleted first useless sentence "Unlocks potential ... ability". But can be moved below separator to the LORE section.

P.S. I know that there are much more perks and this logic may not work 100% for all of them. But this is the direction I would go for.

Post edited by Ivanynakov on

Comments

• Ivanynakov
    edited March 2023
    Options

Another example. Words that need detailed description are underlined and described below in GAMEPLAY section.

Post edited by Ivanynakov on
  • Ivanynakov
    edited March 2023
    Options

And another one

• Ivanynakov
    Options

Interesting.. I posted the same thing as the comment to another thread and got 19 upvotes. But having whole thread for it seems not to be effective?

• SuperMunchkin95
    SuperMunchkin95 Member Posts: 136
    Options

I wouldn't mind this, but I like the storytelling they've got going on here. For We're Gonna Live Forever, it says "Your few friends deserve the best protection" I know that is super small, but that shows the developers care for even the smallest detail.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

Well yes, it is a nice little touch. But I would suggest to move it under the separator to "Lore section". So there can be clear information hierarchy. Gameplay -> Terms Description -> Additional Story Text (Lore).

• Ivanynakov
    Options

Thank you! Hopefully devs will at least read it. Do they ever respond?

• Ivanynakov
    Options

I am recalling this post. Sorry for spamming it but I truly believe that this suggestion is pure Quality of Life improvement with no harm to anything, nor lore nor dark atmoshere.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,273
    Options

We're Gonna Live Forever definitely needs its description cleaned up. While i don't think I agree with abbreviating them as much as you suggest, a lot of perks need a rewrite pass to make them more concise.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

Thx. It is OK that you don't like the specific solution that I chose. There are many other ways to make it concise and I hope devs (UI/UX designer particularly) will put their time into finding the best solution.

My main suggestion is to make visual hierarchy within perk description prioritizing it's technical function. So new players can read what the perk actually does first and as fast as possible.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    Options

That Dark Sense description doesn't fully explain it's effects though.

It could read as a 10 second timer that starts when the generator is completed, but that's not how it works. Instead, the perk 'Activates' and when the killer next enters a 24 meter radius, the 10 seconds of aura reading begin.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

I've been waiting for someone to mention it :D Should be rephrased a little. Possible solutions:

• "Reveals Killer's aura for 10s next time he enters 24m(radius icon) from you"
    • "Reveals Killer's aura for 10s next time he gets 24m close to you"
    • "Next time Killer gets 24m close to you reveals his aura for 10s"