The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Suggestion for the devs! Killer Tunneling

In order to encourage killers to go after different survivors, why not give bonus points to killers when they hook a survivor who is not the last survivor they hooked (while lowering the base amount of BP given for hooks)

Comments

• Lodosslight
    Lodosslight Member Posts: 65

This sounds good and I agree with Mister_xD. Also, I main a Killer and I would like this added.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

The most effective way to end tunneling is one nobody really would want to do: make it so that gens start with painfully longer repair times, and have them get repaired faster each time a survivor dies. Until something like that happens, killers will tunnel survivors and survivors will tunnel gens.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

@Ryuhi said:
    The most effective way to end tunneling is one nobody really would want to do: make it so that gens start with painfully longer repair times, and have them get repaired faster each time a survivor dies. Until something like that happens, killers will tunnel survivors and survivors will tunnel gens.

Am not sure that gonna change anything since a lot of noob killer consider 4k as a win.

Tunnelling is the best way to do it fast and efficiently. Adding time to generators just gonna be even worse for the remaining survivors.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Jago said:

@Ryuhi said:

Am not sure that gonna change anything since a lot of noob killer consider 4k as a win.

Are you implying that Killers who succeed at killing are noobs? So you're saying the pros are the ones who don't kill? Did I enter a wormhole into a reverse world without realizing it?

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

@Orion said:

@Jago said:

@Ryuhi said:

Are you implying that Killers who succeed at killing are noobs? So you're saying the pros are the ones who don't kill? Did I enter a wormhole into a reverse world without realizing it?

Don't say things I didn't.

I am talking about campers / patrollers / Tunnellers / noeders / mori'ers whatever it need to do the 4 k at all cost using cheap "strategy". You know, those insecure killers that are just scared taking a "loss" as his definition of winning has been dictated by toxic "competitive" killers...

to each his own vision of fun but whatever, that's not the main thing here.

The point on this is not talking about WHAT I THINK about my definition of cheap killer, but the comment I was reacting on, talking about increasing gen time, that, with those "strategies", just gonna be even worse for a survivor experience.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Kaldrax said:
    In order to encourage killers to go after different survivors, why not give bonus points to killers when they hook a survivor who is not the last survivor they hooked (while lowering the base amount of BP given for hooks)

A similar idea was already suggested, but with the difference that the bonus was a genspeed-debuff instead of BP. Guess how the survivors reacted, "tunneling needs to be punished, no killer buffs for ez 4ks"

Oh and btw, a 4k will give you probably more points than a 1-2k with the bonus BP from not tunneling, also it is more time efficient :wink:

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I like the idea. That said, a lot of the "tunneling" is because the game isn't balanced well.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    What happens when someone pretty much demands your attention the entire trial, though?
    Lets not pretend there is a lack of dedicated distraction players that only want to run the killer around. 
    The bright colored coke fiends that click flashlights at you, and stuff.

And there's the jen jockey ninjas who may never be seen the entire trial.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Mister_xD said:

actually sounds good.
    however, it would still be much more rewarding to get rid of one survivor, as that tremendously slows down the game.
    id say you should give the rescued survivor a decreased action speed for each hook he got, like 5% after one hook and 10% after 2 hooks (numbers can be altered), so the killer has a reason to go after the other person, as the first is gonna slow the game down too.

@Mister_xD
    Depends. If by getting rid of a survivor you mean camping them since the very beginning and the other ones are smart enough you are not gonna get more than 15k bps, probably even 10k.
    Btw, the decrease speed should be for seconds or even a minute, otherwise would be quite op.
  • SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited December 2018

@Rebel_Raven said:
    What happens when someone pretty much demands your attention the entire trial, though?
    Lets not pretend there is a lack of dedicated distraction players that only want to run the killer around. 
    The bright colored coke fiends that click flashlights at you, and stuff.

That's when you join the zappy boi cult. Their flashlights can do nothing against Madness 3. I remember the first time I put a Survivor who had a flashlight in Madness 3 so well. They had dropped a pallet and turned around so they could blind me while I was breaking a pallet only to have their flashlight not work. It was glorious.

• Vietfox
    Orion said:

@Jago said:

@Ryuhi said:

@Orion
    I get your point but i've been killed more than once by noob killers because they made no sense on their actions. Like when they are right behind you and you fast vault a window but then vault it again slowly cause you expect the killer to go around and they are like "surprise mf!"
    And no, they didnt do it intentionally because they usually miss 9 out of 10 hits.
  • Yuri_92
    Yuri_92 Member Posts: 2

@Orion
    I get your point but i've been killed more than once by noob killers because they made no sense on their actions. Like when they are right behind you and you fast vault a window but then vault it again slowly cause you expect the killer to go around and they are like "surprise mf!"
    And no, they didnt do it intentionally because they usually miss 9 out of 10 hits.

@Vietfox
    So, in other words, you just messed up a vault

• Vietfox
    edited December 2018
    Yuri_92 said:

@Orion

@Vietfox
    So, in other words, you just messed up a vault

@Yuri_92
     I meant that i intentionally vaulted the window twice because i was expecting the killer to go around instead of vaulting the window as well.
    And yeah, the times i've been rekt by this kind of stuff are glorious!
    Post edited by Vietfox on
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Vietfox said:
     I meant that i intentionally vaulted the window twice because i was expecting the killer to go around instead of vaulting the window as well.

So you screwed up.
    If you lose to noobs, you are worse at the game than they are, period.

• Vietfox
    Orion said:

@Vietfox said:

So you screwed up.
    If you lose to noobs, you are worse at the game than they are, period.

@Orion
    ######### take it easy mate 😂 i wasnt complaining, that can happen to anyone. I wish i played perfectly in every match.
  • Master

@Blueberry said:
    I like the idea. That said, a lot of the "tunneling" is because the game isn't balanced well.

Camping happens due to balancing reasons.

Tunneling is just playing optimally by nature, as survivor you dont switch the gen after reaching 66% either....

• Blueberry

@Master said:

@Blueberry said:

Tunneling is just playing optimally by nature, as survivor you dont switch the gen after reaching 66% either....

Somewhat, somewhat not. Full on tunneling wouldn't be applying any pressure.

• Master

@Blueberry said:

@Master said:

@Blueberry said:

Define "full on tunneling" for me, not quite sure what you mean with that

• Blueberry
    edited December 2018

@Master said:

@Blueberry said:

@Master said:

@Blueberry said:

Define "full on tunneling" for me, not quite sure what you mean with that

Literally ignoring any free hits on anyone other than your target. The tunneling you're referring to is applying pressure but if there's ever target choices you're simply picking the same guy which is indeed logical.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

@Vietfox said:
    Mister_xD said:

actually sounds good.

however, it would still be much more rewarding to get rid of one survivor, as that tremendously slows down the game.

id say you should give the rescued survivor a decreased action speed for each hook he got, like 5% after one hook and 10% after 2 hooks (numbers can be altered), so the killer has a reason to go after the other person, as the first is gonna slow the game down too.

@Mister_xD
    Depends. If by getting rid of a survivor you mean camping them since the very beginning and the other ones are smart enough you are not gonna get more than 15k bps, probably even 10k.
    Btw, the decrease speed should be for seconds or even a minute, otherwise would be quite op.

oh, by getting rid i dont necessary mean camping.
    just break your current chase once someone got unhooked and focus said person down, until he's dead.
    and the reason why i wouldnt want the action speed decrease to be for a set time is, because then it would still be more beneficial to just tunnel the rescued survivor and take him out od the game entirely, instead of having 4 normal survivors after a certain periode of time.
    this is an overal problem i have with the game: hooks mean nothing. there is no consequence to it, unless its your 3rd hook. with inntroducing this, you could actually have them feel some consequences for failing their objective, which would be avoiding to be killed / sacrificed.
    however, this was only a suggestion, nothing i thought through entirely. maybe a completely different solution turns out to be better, who knows? or maybe the problem will solve itself when the devs get rid of the genrush. its just that the current reason for tunneling is, that removing one of the game is much more rewarding than playing nice. and we all want to win, dont we? so its only natural, that the killer chooses the best strategy to win, while the survivors do the same.

• Vietfox
    Mister_xD said:

@Vietfox said:
    Mister_xD said:

actually sounds good.

@Mister_xD

oh, by getting rid i dont necessary mean camping.
    just break your current chase once someone got unhooked and focus said person down, until he's dead.
    and the reason why i wouldnt want the action speed decrease to be for a set time is, because then it would still be more beneficial to just tunnel the rescued survivor and take him out od the game entirely, instead of having 4 normal survivors after a certain periode of time.
    this is an overal problem i have with the game: hooks mean nothing. there is no consequence to it, unless its your 3rd hook. with inntroducing this, you could actually have them feel some consequences for failing their objective, which would be avoiding to be killed / sacrificed.
    however, this was only a suggestion, nothing i thought through entirely. maybe a completely different solution turns out to be better, who knows? or maybe the problem will solve itself when the devs get rid of the genrush. its just that the current reason for tunneling is, that removing one of the game is much more rewarding than playing nice. and we all want to win, dont we? so its only natural, that the killer chooses the best strategy to win, while the survivors do the same.

@Mister_xD
    I wouldnt say that hooks mean nothing, by hooking someone you are removing someone from a gen thus would slow down the game. Even more than 1 survivor if they are solo players.