We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

The Community ruined this game

Options

Maybe unpopular opinion, but to me this community has made this game unbearable. I havent been playing recently because the games are just way too sweaty and unfun. There was one point where i was just running 0 perks as survivor just so i wouldnt be seen as being a sweatlord but i was still getting games of camping tunneling slugging 3 genning. Killer usually goes alright but thats mainly because i don’t sweat and let people go depending on how the match goes. But as survivor the games are just miserable. Just like that slugging skull merchant game i posted about a while back.

The community cares way too much about winning games instead of having fun. I started out in july of 2021 and back then it was so much fun. This was when i was using stealth alot because i was scared out of my mind. The game felt like horror to me. Especially on maps like hawkins (RIP). Bhvr has some stuff that made this game less horror, however the communities obsession both survivors and killer with winning. Doing everything such as using unfun boring playstyles or bring the most meta of meta perks and loadouts like bringing brand new parts or when everyone was bringing dead hard.

Also just how rude people in this community can be too. I had one match vs a nemesis that was tunneling me off the hook at 4 gens and i got put back on the hook again and started camping next to the hook. Well i just missed my both skill checks and went next. I went to a streamers chat who was my teammate to tell him “hey i was getting tunneled, i didnt want to stay in the match but i wish you the best of luck in your future games” just for the ttv to say a bunch of rude stuff like how “i played like a bot, i was the most pathetic p100 player, how i should uninstall, and how the macmillan was op and how i should have played better, that i got tunneled because i suck”. Not only was that nemesis player already playing unfun but then you got the ttv that just wants to be rude to chat for no reason. It got so bad that the next team that joined his lobby left because they saw how he was on stream

I hate this community, taking a game this seriously where if you lose its like the end of the world and this “must win at all cost” mentality too.

sorry for my rant, the devs make some questionable decisions (especially with almost every single chapter is a dumpster fire) but to me its the players fault for how this game has turned out

Comments

• SixShotOcelot
    SixShotOcelot Member Posts: 121
    Options

I just want to add my own two cents to the discussion.

1st - I have found that the most successful way to change this (atleast from my own perspective and ingame experience), is to be the change you want to see in the game's player community/behavior.

-If you think its unfun when all the otherside does is "sweat to win", then this feels less bad when you stop caring about winning.

-If you think the players always harass in chat, simply say something nice and leave (or turn off chat/leave before its shown).

2nd - People are allowed to played games both for fun and to win (and they can do both at the same time).

-Some killers (Ex: twins) might need to slug no matter how unfun it is for the otherside. Slugging is fun on twins because you are hopping (literally) from chase to chase as victor staying engaged with many players. This is also, arguably, the only way the twins have a viable chance to snowball and win. This is often miserable for the survivors.

3rd - Your rant will likely do more to perpetuate this player behavior than to help. So unfortunately, your best bet is probably playing a different game.

If you hate the community, you should honestly not play this game. Or atleast, only play bot matches and customs with your friends so you can enjoy the aspects of the game you do enjoy.

Personally, I am genuinely impressed with how the devs have been listening to the community more and more as of late. I think the incoming "report feedback system" will do great things from the perspective you're experiencing. That way when people are outright racist, homophobic, etc. and are reported, you'll receive notice if they are punished/banned. Unfortunately, you can't stop people from just "being mean" but that is not isolated to dbd, hell that's not even isolated to multiplayer video games. The internet is full of people looking to be mean behind anonymity, but that's not the game's fault. Nor the devs. Nor the majority of the DbD player base.

I sincerely hope you are able to enjoy DbD again or whatever game you go to instead.

• TheWheelOfCheese
    TheWheelOfCheese Member Posts: 656
    Options

I would love to have split queues for this reason. I don't really see a way it can work in practice, sadly. People will just join the "for fun" queue because they want easy games, and eventually there won't be a difference between the queues.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,967
    Options

Eh. What you gonna do? Humans are gonna human. You 'll get used to it

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,319
    Options

You would need to balance the game for competitive play full stop if you want to actually have people split off. You'd also need to make playing a comp ranked mode worthwhile with ranked mode specific rewards like cosmetics. Honestly, I think that would do more harm than good though because then you end up with the problem mobas tend to have where the game balance focus will almost always interfere with casual players' enjoyment. Something working too well in comp mode? It gets nerfed even though the thing is fun for casual players it can't be allowed to exist.

Could make a completely separate balance pass for ranked mode, but that massively increase the workload of the devs.

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

I think that's possible but not with two identical game modes exactly because of that reason.

• TheWheelOfCheese
    TheWheelOfCheese Member Posts: 656
    Options

Yeah, and I don't think the devs have the manpower to do that.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 531
    Options

Tbh I've been saying this for a long time. BHVR can only control things so much, they can't stop players from being toxic...but players can stop being toxic, but instead they pretend to be decent people here...twitter...discord..wherever, and then go play as disgusting as possible.

I'm sorry to hear about your ttv experience...that's so rude and i'm glad everyone saw that and left. Tunnels happen no matter what and at times there is no way to outplay them..it has nothing to do w skill. And you were probably tunneled for being a p100 in the first place...some sort of sick victory for the killer, even though they played unfair to get it. I've had teammates step in to take a hook for me and still the killer insists on tunneling me out instead.

I don't want to take away from your post or story, but I have a similar story..I stream on twitch..so my name has ttv in it..last night I was playing w another ttv..I wasn't streaming, but they were..and I naively thought like oh cool, we're both streamers. Yay this should be a good match!...nah..

During the match, my medkit ran out and I needed like 20% heals and I came across said ttv (my first interaction w them, I actively participated in match and in no way wronged them)..and they refused to heal me. Flat out ignored me and eventually shook their head no and went back to ignoring me. Later in the game, they picked up the slugged person next to me (but left me).

I was so upset that later in the night, I went to their stream and watched the playback starting w our first interaction.. the part where I was trying to be healed they were flat out, "nooope i'm not healing her..she can keep asking but i'm not," and when they picked up the other slugged player and left me, they said "yeah she can just stay there." I have no reason why I was treated this way, what I did to make this person act this way towards me and it's bothered me more than I care for...this game seems to bring out the worst in people...but unfortunately the "community" will never take the time to realize the toxicity in DBD is caused by the players and just stop......it's horrible because that's how the majority of players want it to be...it's "fun" for them.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

This game needs a system in place that places players with less than 100 hours in a queue of their own. As well as a system that allows players to give each other commendations.

The game needed this over a year ago.

Not a community issue.

• Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 655
    Options

hi i just wanted to comment and say that i absolutely love this e-book, thank you for posting the link to it, its a really useful resource that i feel like many people in the gaming community should read, it teaches very valuable life lessons!

• Kamartins
    Kamartins Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2023
    Options
  • MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

It's BHVR's fault after all. Nothing wrong with trying to win but they made the most boring, annoying strategies effective than others.

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685
    Options

Im sorry about that ttv. Most of them are nice but its the rude ones that stand out

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    Options
  • Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,811
    Options

BHVR have done things to attempt to curb it. One time I reported a rather terrible individual and they did take action on the guy (he moaned about it on Steam) so to say they do practically nothing isn't entirely accurate. One thing which shall help is the intended introduction of seeing what reports have been acted on. That may give players more confidence in what is being done to assist.

However, one thing I believe you would be right to say they haven't spoken loudly enough about the toxicity. I could say some streamers and influencers are equally responsible for advocating these behaviours - even advertising them as content because it brings in the most views.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,667
    edited May 2023
    Options

Top comment.

I believe OP's concerns are exacerbated by an inadequate matchmaking system and/or uneven skill ceilings between Killer and Survivor. Rather than plateauing in an MMR that is saturated with other scrubs, OP is (frequently/semi-frequently) encountering players who want to win at all costs.

I don't think some people realize just how much a competent MMR system contributes to player satisfaction.

It almost sounds like OP didn't even know there existed such a person who would play to win as a means to have fun. That notion blows my mind--anyone who has played any sport/game ever will have encountered a person who is better than everyone else and enjoys being better than everyone else.

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    Options

Yes i know there are people that play to win. That was in the game around the first couple of months i started playing. However it wasnt constantly every game that i play like it is now. I dont mind losing i just want to have fun. I had a game where someone dced vs a blight and i got one good long chase with him and i was satisfied. We lost with 2 gens left. I had one friend who was begging me to play some matches even thought i didnt want to but i did because she is my friend. First game we got a nurse slugging at 4 gens. I did go into that ttvs chat and give them ggs tho so theres that

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    Options

I guess the only thing you can say they did was probably not put endgame chat for console players like myself to avoid toxicity.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

yeah, I genuinely think it is a matchmaking issue.

I don't believe BHVR designed their matchmaker to create evenly matched lobbies. Patrick told us long ago that the only thing matchmaking is trying to do is make sure you win every once and a while. BHVR is emulating the pathological effects of gambling--many of us (particularly solo/duo players) are gambling every time we queue into another game.

Rather than enjoying the game for what it is, we become addicted to the "big win," which is that dopamine release we receive every few games when the matchmaker feeds us a lobby we actually belong in.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389
    Options

No, complaining about "the community" is never an unpopular stance in any given online game.

In any case your post seems to be about people trying to win..... In an online pvp game. Which is weird. People are always going to try to win in any competitive environment, no matter how relaxed the trappings of the thing. Wishing people would just try to stop winning is just that- wishful thinking.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,220
    edited May 2023
    Options

I've played since 2016 and this wasn't necessarily always an issue but it started becoming more competitive when BHVR felt the need to touch up the rank system. This was due to players complaining that matches were unfair, had no rewards, there was no progression, etc. So progressively over time in an attempt to balance the game BHVR keeps touching up the rank system so it's more a matter of careful what you wish for. I know you personally didn't ask for it but more so over the years the community has demanded the same thing and BHVR has tried over and over because they seemingly are uncertain what to stick to at times. Anybody remember the Victory Cube?

As for the "community" ruining this game - Does DBD really have a community. We have the forums, Reddit, the official Discord and various Twitch communities but every part of the playerbase is so isolated from each other to a degree it doesn't really feel like a collective community - just a bunch of smaller groups. Community just kind of feels like a buzzword thrown around. Granted I feel this may be a hot take but I feel the biggest issues with DBD has always stimmed from Twitch communities or DBD personalities - Mostly toxic ones that were enabled by BHVR before they actually started focusing on community development. Things are a lot better now but I feel the worst aspects of what you'd refer to as community in DBD stem from the entitled mentality formed years ago.

Honestly my worst experiences in this game outside of Death threats and being ddos'd before a report system and dedicated servers became a thing were from mid level streamers who I'd just constantly run into who had a toxic audience or they were ######### for the sake of providing content for their stream.

• Kamartins
    Kamartins Member Posts: 39
    Options

The skill issue is that the problem you mentioned about sweaty and toxic players can be avoided easily. Just go to low mmr where all the firndly killers that 12 hook and dont tunnel are, because alch ring blight destroyers dont belong there.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,808
    Options

Banning a player here and there is still practically nothing. People were able to get a bunch of free accounts via Epic Store. Similar to the hacking issue, banning hackers itself doesn't stop hackers because they can just jump to the next account, because BHVR gave away a bunch.

Ultimately BHVR provides no incentive to not being toxic and banning a few people here and there has done nothing to reduce to amount of toxic players people are encountering.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,492
    Options

Some of it is our fault... Analyzing everything from Perks to Maps... Finding the best Perks and the Best Maps (even the best Survivors to play as)

And that makes BHVR do balancing in a straight forward way... dealing with the "meta" perks, broken Maps, and messed up Killer power

Then it's BHVR's fault cause they haven't made a Unranked mode (to separate Competitive players from the Casuals), their MM is mostly K/E based... and even then they haven't even attempted to make a Team Rating yet (for SWF's),

So yea that's just my opinion on this

• DudelPuma
    DudelPuma Member Posts: 329
    Options

"but it started becoming more competitive when BHVR felt the need to touch up the rank system" ofc xDD

ahh you mean the "competitive matchmaking" which according to the statistics also shows that it is the same garbage as the emblem system, the stats of red ranks was freddy the killer with mostly kills, nurse, blight, spirit were far away from other killers, with MMR (high mmr 5%) Wesker, Plague, Dreadge are much more advanced than who? right Nurse, Blight, Spirit, the statistics alone show that people who think like you either have no idea what they are talking about or they talk themselves into it so much that they believe the lies themselves that the game is "sweatyer" because of mmr, the old matchmaking that was in there at the beginning it wasn't good but it was totally ok a real matchmaking it stayed in the game for about half a year until bhvr made it a hidden emblem system then what you said would be true but it's not so!

but it doesn't matter... this community is so weepy just embarrassing xD your dirty task is to make 5 gens as a survivor and run out through the exit gate as a killer you try to stop it with all means if you don't feel like it take a break or look for another game! damn it, i've never seen anything stupid like that, it's also just a dbd phenomenon, after years of csgo (played main for 3 years), i heard someone who said "sweaty, why do you always try to kill the opponent every round, just play a few rounds with pistols instead of always buying an ak" or in league "why do you always try to fight through and destroy the nexsus of your opponent? play less sweaty and only kill the monsters next to you" what's that? right if you do this too often you will be reported (rightly so!) you are just a griefer because your task and the fun of it is to play the game, csgo: kill opposing team, league: kill opponents and destroy their tower first, dbd: make 5 gens and go out through the exit gate, killer must prevent it, PLAY THE GAME OR LEAVE IT! First of all, don't complain about people who are good, good at looping - killers who are good at mindgaming and playing efficiently, make them think that's a bad thing, if you're too bad and can't loop that's it, but don't start useless and use it as an argument "I'm not sweaty" no! you want to play dbd without playing dbd take the perks you like but if the killer wants to tunnel you and win then he is not a "sweaty" because if you want to admit it you are just no good and easy prey for him , if I go in with my 9k+ hrs perkless and the killer me tunnel I'll still finish him :))

the real problem is that people who aren't good ehmm sorry I mean of course "casual not sweaty or chill survivor" are matched with others who are too good for them but I've given up with dbd and the worst mm i ever see, I've got my eye on texas chainsaw massacre where I don't care if I'm matched with bad mates because I can escape for myself it's a dream, people who are bad and don't want to "sweat" can just die I don't care because I don't need them xD

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,220
    Options

The majority of your post I wasn't even posting about but thanks for your opinion I appreciate it.

The only thing you could refer to my post that you stated is as simple as - When this game launched to pip you just needed to get a certain BP score. You could do literally anything and still pip so most people had fun. However a lot of people complained that it wasn't good enough and we kept getting arbitrary rank requirements everyone stresses about which yes - Takes away the fun for those who care about it.

As for people trying hard or not - Who cares? I certainly don't.

• Marc_go_solo
    Options

Console was certainly lucky in that respect, although it did not stop people from messaging afterwards. It's an example of them not speaking and acting loud enough.

It's a shame that people are not able to monitor and keep in check their feelings. There are a fair few players out there who feel it's acceptable to conduct themselves in such a way as to hurt others, all over a stupid trial.

It's interesting to consider what is happening in their world to feel this weak, but often forgotten are those who endure this. We do not know what is happening in their lives when someone starts telling them to kill themselves because they "gen-rushed". There are worse things on this planet than losing the game in under 10 minutes. BHVR really need to be seen to be working on this. I do not doubt they are, but it's not good if they are not seen as proactive. Image is important.

• Marc_go_solo
    Options

Bad decision-making such as handing a bunch of free accounts out to people does indeed show a lacklustre in judgement of how people are. BHVR had not thought through what could of happened.

Yet it does not excuse people from acting that way to begin with. BHVR are policing something that's so virulent and insidious which is prevalent - not just in DBD, or even gaming in general - but culturally across the board. Policing this behaviour is a constant battle of playing catchup, where wankers will always find loop-holes.

What BHVR need to do is to be seen in action. They are acting on behaviours (the reporting feedback system is an example of this), but they perhaps need to speak louder on this. BHVR have shown they do use social media and events to show activism for various causes. They need something to focus on mental health and bullying.

I will always maintain that corners of the playerbase are the worst thing at this moment. BHVR cannot act as therapists for these dung flies. However, they can do more to bring awareness to those who are affected by such behaviours. They also need to do more to be loud in this cause.

• Skittlesthehusky
    Options

i just wanted to come back to this thread because i think this is a very interesting talking point for a lot of communities as a whole rather than just dead by daylight's

i myself have personally noticed a serious uptick in negative voices in a lot of communities as a gamer, artist, nerd, you name it i've probably been involved one or twice. all sorts of fandoms for all sorts of mediums

yet, there's always a seemly overwhelming presence of individuals who set way too high of expectations or induce a sense of misery. i don't know why this is, or what psychology and technicalities have to say about it, but it's really saddening to witness how more and more people seem to be having way less fun with things or take things way too seriously. have they gotten bored? do they not know how to enjoy things for themselves? is it because they want to be in control of how content is consumed to suit their vision? what is their vision exactly?

there's so many questions and not enough answers for this sort of thing, and i feel like emotions take the lead way too much when it comes to a community coming together. unfortunately the only way we'll ever form a more positive community with anything is by starting with ourselves first and being the change we want to see

• Skittlesthehusky
    Options

i apologize for the double-post, but i just wanted to share something i posted on here that i feel like contributes to this very thing that was spoken about https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/377641/this-community-needs-a-little-bit-of-a-face-lift-people-too#latest

the more i think about this thread, the more i felt like something needed to be said and i feel like there needs to be some sort of breather that we all need to take. it makes me sad to think about the fact that someone feels so burdened by a community that they feel that it ruined a game for them. i dont know why this post struck a chord with me in particular, but i guess its because it reminded me of how i used to think

so, i thought this would help. if people want to give it a read, i encourage it, and im honestly happy that someone brought up this topic in the first place

as a whole i think we all just need to do better and try to become better. its cliche to say, but that's just my genuine opinion. at the end of the day, there's always going to be something that irritates us, but i dont think its worth giving yourself a headache over, yknow?

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    Options

It isnt worth it. I dont play the game much anymore. Play it with my friends maybe 1 time per week when it used to be almost everyday. I just dont really like the game anymore

• Skittlesthehusky
    Options

that's okay! im sorry youre not having as much fun as you used to, hopefully you found something else to fill your time :(

• SoloQKev
    SoloQKev Member Posts: 160
    Options

In my opinion, the situation tends to worsen during events. Personally, I'm striving to achieve P100 Meg, and I rely on using a cake every game to maximize my progress. When I encounter an offering screen with five cakes, I feel excited, only to be later disappointed by a Wesker player who camps and tunnels at the five generators. It's disheartening to think about the poor survivor on that hook who won't be able to earn many points. I've had multiple games like this, and it's reached a point where I don't want to participate in the Anniversary event anymore. It's unfortunate because I genuinely enjoy these events, but the player base on both sides often ruins the experience. As a survivor, I find it increasingly difficult to enjoy the events due to these negative encounters.

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    Options

I havent played much swf its been mostly solo que and some killer during the event. All i can say is that i stopped bringing offerings during solo que. Not work losing them for terrible matches

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    Options

Just looped a blight for 3 gens and then i get camped to death. No of my teammates go for the save. So much fun during an event

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 598
    Options

This is the second most toxic community I know. Only League of Legends stays on top

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,871
    Options

It's a scientific fact that anyone who says "skill issue" regarding dbd can't finish any old platformer/beat em up and suck at any somewhat balanced pvp game like shooters/fighters.

• DavidHypnos
    DavidHypnos Member Posts: 730
    Options

I mean, I feel you, but you have to remember there are a lot of good people in this game too. When I first started playing I came very close to quitting because of how some people played/behaved - I felt like I had no chance of improving and it just wasn’t fun. But I’m glad I stuck with it. For every horrible match I’ve had or every toxic player I’ve also had a great one or interacted with some great players and had a lot of fun both survivors and killers. I’m not one of those people that sweats to win - I’m gonna do the best I can no matter what but if I don’t get a single kill or I don’t make it out of the trial I’m not considering myself at a loss if I tried, did my best, and had fun. That doesn’t mean I don’t get flustered with when things don’t go my way sometimes - we are all human - and it doesn’t mean that I don’t sometimes sweat (like when I’m so close to finishing that last gen and that terror radius starts up!) but what’s most important is that I view things from a positive note - did I play a good game? Did I help my teammates? Did I give the survivors a fair match? Seeing survivors escape into the exit doesn’t bother me… dying on the hook doesn’t bother me… they’re part of the game… I’d be lying if I said some other peoples behaviors don’t bother me…. But the moments I reflect on are the positive ones even if they are rarer. I hope you can get more of those positive matches too. It’s like in the real world I can’t ignore all the hate and toxicity I have to address it, but I also can’t let it consume me lest I become a miserable person just like them.