We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

2023 - BHVR still not able to discern a crash from a DC on purpose

Options
KenwanObinobi
KenwanObinobi Member Posts: 185
edited June 2023 in General Discussions

BHVR knows how to code a pop-up telling you you have lost connexion to the server but they are still applying the ban when you have got a network crash.

😍

Comments

• NotAnotherDoctor
    NotAnotherDoctor Member Posts: 269
    Options

"You've got bad internet get off my game no fun for you!"

• KenwanObinobi
    Options

They could make it that if you DC 3 or 5 times in 1 hour you get the ban...

• KenwanObinobi
    Options

Then code the opportunity to reconenct to the game you crashed on maybe ?

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

So what happens to your character while waiting to reconnect? Replaced by bot? Also what happens if you decide to not rejoin? Do you get the DC penalty then?

It’s an interesting proposal but seems like it would get too complicated to manage and open to abuse. Far better solution is to expect people to fix their network issues before playing an online game. The problem should not be dumped on the devs to solve.

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

Not even sure if that would be worth the time. Until you're back in a match you are probably dead already in most cases.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,733
    Options

Like it or not that's what you should do. If your internet is THAT unstable then you will just constantly accumulate a dc penalty and ruin yours and others experiences.

• KenwanObinobi
    Options

My internet is fine, it happens rarely but even though i did not DC the last 500 trials, if i loose my connection, i do not understand why i should be punished.

There are statistics about the numbers of DC, if you never do it and it happens once, why should you get a penalty ?

And about ruining the game, it is already ruined by camping/tunneling in every trials but it is another subject.

• BarnesFlam
    BarnesFlam Member Posts: 654
    Options

Nobody is able to discern a crash from a DC on purpose... not even the computer.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 7,961
    Options

People abusing that and forcing the game to crash creates more problems for the devs. You suddenly have the devs flooded with false positive crash logs. It's fairly trivial to create a buffer overflow, ping flood, etc. It would have the devs chasing their tails over issues the users are creating to get out of games. It would take me less than 5 seconds to type "ifconfig eth0 down" in the terminal to force a disconnect without me clicking the leave match button

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,023
    Options

It's "taking a bullet for the overall greater good".

And what statistical value would be adequate for this free DC one in a while?

• Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 655
    Options

i'm pretty sure a dev commented the same exact thing im about to already but if free passes were allowed for network DCs, it would enable people to exploit it through killswitches or other means since it enables people to find ways around the penalty. plus, a bad connection can damage the experience for other players, and wasted time isnt exactly good time :(

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

Not even that, it's just a minute. Second time five minutes and third time 15 when i remember right.

• Cyn0_0
    Cyn0_0 Member Posts: 84
    Options

Spoken from a place of privilege. If only everyone had equal access to the same internet quality.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    Options

This is what ffxiv does, you can come back easily, and yes, in pvp too.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,470
    Options

Yeah it's unfortunate, but you just need to suck it up deal with the hand you've been dealt.

The game is an online only PvP experience. If you don't have the requirements necessary to play going in (aka a stable internet connection) you shouldn't play. Stick to offline games.

My internet is not good at all (I live in Australia), and whenever it starts acting up while I'm playing DBD, I stop playing. Lagging all over the place with a chance to drop entirely ruins the experience for not only myself, but my team as well.

I'm sure the killer is happy, at least.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 531
    Options

It does suck, but assuming you are not someone who frequently dc's...the ban is almost nothing....it only increases if you dc often. So if you're having long bans when your network crashes, is it because you also dc from the game (intentionally) often? I'm not shaming it..just saying..unless you have super bad internet, the first ban is under a minute I believe.

• EasyMcgee
    EasyMcgee Member Posts: 9
    Options

This is a video game. One of thousands of video games, many of which can be played without any internet connection at all. Video games themselves being just one of many mediums for art and entertainment, the overwhelming majority of which again require no internet connection to enjoy.

• Cyn0_0
    Options

The comment is still accurate, at this point it's closer to gatekeeping.

Let's change perspective. The dev's made a port of this game for Switch, Switch does not have an ethernet cable plug in, only a usb, meaning the only way to hardwire is with an ethernet to usb adapter, which does not provide the same quality connection as direct line. This inevitably leads to comparatively poor connection quality. With those factors are you also saying that players on Switch just should not be playing? Or more generally, anyone who only has a wifi option available?

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,811
    edited June 2023
    Options

Wireless connections are still more than adequate and will not cause regular disconnects, I use wifi for my PS5 and I haven't disconnected from the game in months if not years. The level of 'connection issues' we're talking here is extreme. Hell the game allows for up to 300 ping before it even warns you that you have an issue, without preventing you from playing, despite the effect this has on the game.

This is more like "I don't own a PC or a games console but I want to run DBD on my Nokia 3310 and it's gatekeeping if you don't let me."

If you don't have the infrastructure to play an online game, then you can't play an online game.

• LichQueen
    LichQueen Member Posts: 45
    Options

I still think it's funny that they think a DC penalty actually does anything, if I DC, get the penalty, I'll just do something else. I don't need to play this game, however, BHVR needs people to play this game.

Just a funny thought.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,811
    Options

BHVR needs people to want to play this game, which won't happen if there's a DC in every match.

• VoidOfMe
    VoidOfMe Member Posts: 416
    Options

I got news for you: if you're playing LEAGUE OF LEGENDS and your game crashes still you'll have penalties. And LEAGUE OF LEGENDS is way older and way bigger than this game.

The only way to remove the penalty is to open a ticket with them with a print of the crash and/or report.

It happens because the game would have to check for a crash report each time the player is disconnects, then it would have to revert the penalties and/or even give the player back items, pips, etc, etc, etc... and that is not the best nor the fastest way to do things.

The same thing happens when your internet is cut out, I've seen many people on Twitter saying BHV is incompetent because they can't figure out if the player dc'd or if the internet was cut off.

I mean, you just have to think for 1 sec and you'll figure out why that is.

How will BHV know if your provider lost connection or if you just pulled the internet plug so you wouldn't have penalties?

• Cyn0_0
    Options

Granted we are talking about one extreme end (the multiple DCs from connection issues) verses the less extreme (generally weaker connection with occasional issues), so I agree it's not exactly comparing apples to apples, but I do think the person I previously quoted might still consider the difference less than desirable.

Aside from all my above nonsense, I do want to know how much of this is actually user sided compared to server sided. Does anyone have some information on ways to discern that?

• MrPeanutbutter
    Options

OK…so because not everyone has access to reliable internet, everyone who does has to suffer with constant disconnects? If this was allowed without penalty there wouldn’t be a game at all because nobody would play.

I’d argue that the position of “I don’t care if I ruin other peoples’ games” is a far more “privileged” attitude than “I expect people to have a reliable internet connection so we can have a functioning game.”

• Cyn0_0
    Options

I can see that point. Stepping back a bit, we need to define 'ruining the game'. From the OP that's consistent DCs do to network, whereas I switched the conversation to wifi/switch specific where lag/latency/ping is the predominanting issue.

Given those differences, do you consider the lag and latency to 'ruin' the match, or only the major network issues?

(Also I'm glad we can have a genuine discussion without getting heated, I appreciate that)

• MrPeanutbutter
    Options

Getting disconnected is definitely ruining matches for other people because either the killer gets DCd in which case the match is instantly over, or survivor gets DCd in which case the match is probably effectively over.

Lag/latency issues can make matches unfair if it’s helping killers get hits they shouldn’t or survivors are teleporting all over the place making them difficult to hit/find. I think BHVR should determine what is a minimum ping to avoid unfairness and not let you load into a match unless your ping is below that threshold.

• Cyn0_0
    Options

Oh my god, yesterday I had the worst instance of a lag hit as survivor, it was one of the McMillan maps with a tower, I jump down head for a pallet, watch killer fall down, drop pallet, take two steps forward, and killer hits me from the opposite side of the pallet 😅. They had the red ping icon, and I was on yellow (80-90 in the details screen). I literally stopped and had to do a double take for my brain to comprehend what just happened. 😆