Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

a question about pride charms

wydyadoit
wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145
edited June 2023 in Ask the Community

i saw the pride charms and the free codes. i love that people are able to express themselves openly through their cosmetics.

now... i don't want this to come off the wrong way - i'm genuinely asking this from a non-aggressive or defensive stance. i'm just ignorant.

so the question i have is this: is there a flag that represents heterosexualality/cisgender identity?

i'm not trying to take away from the lgbtq etc. experience. I think it's very cool. i've struggled with understanding and have been wanting to become as knowledgeable on the topic as one of my favorite hobbies is learning about human minds. what makes people who they are.

so obviously - human desires and sexual identity play a huge role in learning about the human identity.

from what i can tell pride flags seem to exclude heterosexualality/cisgender identity. if that's true then... it makes sense why, but also does make it hard to join in with the celebration as someone who is heterosexual and cisgender.

again - i'm ignorant - so if there is a flag that represents those things and a charm that i can identify myself as it would be really cool to know.

the celebration of sexual orientation and gender identity seems incomplete without it. but maybe that's the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

Answers

• DavidHypnos
    DavidHypnos Member Posts: 730

As a gay person I’m not offended by your comment. I always envisioned that the rainbow flag was a rainbow because it was meant to encompass the spectrum - everyone was represented. However, heterosexuality has always been the “norm” and while I have no problem with it being represented in my flag - Allies are a big part of pride too - I don’t think they have their own flag because they aren’t in the minority - they haven’t had the same struggle for acceptance. I do believe you should still be proud of who you are though, and thank you for being an ally.

• EQWashu
    EQWashu Member, Mod Posts: 4,977

Locking this here, as it has been answered well. Adding too, a reminder that being a part of the LGBTQIA2S+ community is about a person's identity; it is not a political or sexual matter.

This discussion has been closed.