Scourge Hook mechanic NEEDS this update

Options
fussy
fussy Member Posts: 1,169
edited July 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

This is my last match with SH:

And that's why i never consider any SH perk as a good perk. Because they are too situational and you can literally not get any use for the whole match from them simply because of their terrible spawn. And it's not like once on a 10 games, matches like this make up 50-70% of all my games.

I think these changes would make this mechanic a lot more fair and worthwhile:

• At the start of the Trial, 5 random Hooks are changed into Scourge Hooks (was 4 random Hooks)
  • 1 additional Scourge Hook spawns for each additional perk after the 1st

So 2 SH perks? 6 Scourge Hooks (5+1). 4 SH perks? 8 SHs (5+3). Except Monstrous Shrine, I think it should just make SHs in the basement.

In addition, the announced change to Hangman's Trick from PTB is still nerf to this already super bad perk. These SH mechanic changes will make this perk really worth it, especially when paired with other SH perks.

Comments

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,237
    Options

BNP got nerfed, because it was free 25% progression. You have perk that requires just specific hook for regression. If you relax the rule, then you have to get BNP treatment instead - pick a gen that has 100s to complete instead

• fussy
    Options

So perk needs a nerf, because now it can really be used, and not rely on luck?

You should not waste time on this forum and go develop your stand-up career, for real.

• fussy
    Options

pov: your post lost because it turned out that in this game we have 10000 Sadako mains

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,745
    Options

that is their current balance. they think that SC are too strong if you can use them every single game.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,783
    Options

I'm sorry but this is the equivalent of bringing Haunted Grounds and saying it NEEDS to be cleansed. You brought an RNG perk, you roll the dice. I do think instead of 5 hooks, the existing 4 should have semi-fixed RNG. Piece off maps into 4 quadrants, and only 1 Scourge can spawn per quadrant (ignoring Monstrous Shrine's basement hooks). This still could have Scourge hooks spawn at the bracket leg spots [ ], but then at least they are more centralized even in the worst case, and still always possible to reach 1 Scourge in the majority of circumstances. Indoor 2 story maps like Gideon and Midwich can instead have West/East and 1st floor/2nd floor permutations as the 4 quadrants.

• fussy
    Options

>You brought an RNG perk, you roll the dice

Oh, really? Maybe if you reread the post, you'll notice that the whole idea is to make them just less rng dependent? How did it even come to you to compare this mechanics with one perk and where is the parallel here? If I say that hexes are also outdated mechanic that require update, will you compare them back to SHs?

And how do you imagine your suggestion to be implemented without making the location of hooks being constant? Do you remember that there are not only square maps in the game? Why reinvent the bike, and how will this solution be better than mine? It obviously not, for some reason you are just afraid that the killer will use the perks that are already in the game more constantly.

Well, yeah, guess you really love just to see 4 slowndowns every game just because there is no variety in killer's builds. (Yeah-yeah, i know all folks on this forum easily 4k with Unrelenting only every game)

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,783
    Options

I literally bring SH:PR as my only gen slowdown perk on Ghostface, sometimes Gift of Pain instead of Floods if I run into too many Distortion users in the previous match or two. Heck, I have this recent endgame screen of winning a Deadlock only gen slowdown match with Nemmy on Rotten Fields that I did for a tome+daily wombo combo, and they had 2 BNPs and a Syringe. No turbo tunneling, as they each have at least 10k bp, and Rebecca's Flip-Flop got me once, so that's why she had the most chase time/BP (despite her MfT she was actually plenty easy to down with the whip). But yeah, I'm totally a Survivor main who bothered to get Nemmy to P12 /s. (To be fair I do have ~half of Killers at P9 or above for the charms, Survivors are up after all Killers are P9.)

The quantity of Scourge Hooks is perfect as is, the luck in terms of placement is what is unreliable, which your method doesn't directly address. The locations can occasionally be unlucky, but you learn to work with it. It is a macro skill in and of itself to force chases near Scourge hooks, as you can see them glow when walking about the map. Also 4 quadrants is as easy as drawing 2 lines. Here, this took less than 10 minutes to draft in paint with roughly equal sizes on uneven sized maps (of each realm).

I did roughly 1 map per realm, but I tried to pick the least square map for realms with multiple. Now to be fair, this could fall prey to some fixed hook locations like Temple of Purgation's underground hook, or Eyrie's upstairs hooks, but those can simply be excluded permanently as Scourge locations as a more positive than negative quick fix. This would fix the problem you are complaining about by utilizing semi-fixed RNG, instead of hoping bruteforcing quantity of hooks doesn't result in the same 7 hooks on 1 side of the map problem. In addition, if this is happening 50-70% of your matches that you get 0 Scourge Hooks, making 8 hooks and basement would only change that number to 45-65%. Killers have to make the active choice to never go for Scourges in the vast majority of matches, so that is a playstyle problem, not a perk problem. I would ask to pick someone up with those quadrants, and find a location where you couldn't get a Scourge Hook (other than the already mentioned pseudo basement on Purgation and 2nd stories, which theoretically would be fixed). (Also I see I goofed on Campbell's chapel, the top left line should be on the corner to its immediate right instead, but otherwise they are all mostly equal.)

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,079
    Options

I think they just need to be distributed evenly across the map. That would fix a lot of problems.

This looks great!

When I was unlucky with SH spawns, they were all on one side and the Survivors decided to do all gens on the other side without leaving me a 3-gen next to the hooks. Crows map and Haddonfield are my most hated maps when I use SHs.