Is Buckle Up + For The People Too Strong?

Iron_Cutlass
Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,153
edited July 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

What does Buckle Up and For The People do?

Buckle Up: Upon picking up a Survivor from the Dying State, both Survivors receive the Endurance status effect for 10 seconds.

For The People: While doing a Healing Action, press the [Ability Button] to instantly give the other Survivor a Health State, you lose a Health State and become broken. Must be Healthy to use. You become the Obsession from activating this perk.

What exactly makes these perks strong together?

When a Survivor is in the Dying State, you can instantly heal that Survivor and grant them and yourself the Endurance status effect. In certain situation, this can be done right when a Survivor is put into the Dying State to deny them a hook.

The counterplay to this perk is to specifically spread pressure so the Survivors who have this combo are unable to use it since For The People relies on being Healthy to activate. However in some cases, preventing this perk from activating can completely remove your ability to down and hook a Survivor, which can lead to lose/lose situations where the Killer has very little room for effective counterplay.

Where the issues from the combo exist...

I think the issue with this combo, at least in my opinion, is how little effort is needed to set up this scenario. You only need to bring in two perks, meaning the Survivor still has 2 other perk slots which can be dedicated to make this strategy more efficient.

Furthermore, when you account for Survive With Friends, or SWF, this combo becomes even stronger since you can coordinate when you go down, when you use these perks, and support perks to make this combo even stronger. For instance, bringing healing perks to make sure the person running For The People and Buckle Up is always ready to activate their perk.

Possible solutions...

How do you "fix" this combo? Well, there are many potential solutions to fix this problem.

Buckle Up's effect could not activate from using For The People, however that would weaken For The People, which is already an unpopular perk. Buckle Up, a perk which already shines over other similar perks, is the perk that should probably be changed, in my opinion.

I think the best solution may have to be some activation condition for Buckle Up specifically. When looking at a similar perk, such as We're Gonna Live Forever, there is a requirement which must be met to get the Endurance effect. I also think this would weaken the For The People and Buckle Up combo by requiring far more set up, and taking something like a Protection Hit will require the user to heal up again before activating.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

I don't think FTP should work with Buckle Up just because it should be consistent and FTP doesn't work with other pick up perks like MfT.

That being said usually people using that combo have tended do...let's say not great from what I've noticed in my games.

• Config
    Config Member Posts: 306

FTP shouldn’t work with bucle up

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,261

MFT doesn't work with FTP because you have to be injured to get the effect.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

Honestly not too sure if it's actually too strong but it's def really annoying. tho i do think it should be ftp should be changed to not count as a heal in general and to prevent random interactions like this

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,981

thought it needed a nerf the first time i saw it use but ithe combination requires another survivor to be running around not on gens waiting for u to go down. Also, u need to be way closer to use this combo compare to a flashlight save. I'm loving the variety of builds right now and for once the survivor meta isn't stale. The fact that both survivors get endurance is crazy tho so maybe just make buckle up work for the pick up survivor.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,041
    edited July 2023

I think the issue with this combo, at least in my opinion, is how little effort is needed to set up this scenario. You only need to bring in two perks, meaning the Survivor still has 2 other perk slots which can be dedicated to make this strategy more efficient.

that is pretty much same issue that killer have when they get body blocked at loops with health-states. low counter-play for high reward when there is like 1 or 2 gens left. gens get done in distance and your not getting downs due to bodyblocking. you get same feeling to sabotage. that problem has been in the game for a long time so buckle up ftp is just another one of those moments as killer of body blocking.

• Wylrin
    Wylrin Member Posts: 98

I don't pretend to know whether it's too strong or not, but it's definitely annoying, especially with killers like Michael Myers whose only power is to slap people down when they're healthy.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659

Yes. These two perks shouldn't work together.

• mustdogen
    mustdogen Member Posts: 366

Nah

These are survivor perks.

We should not touch them.

Let's keep talking about how broken sodako is, it force me have to do something not the gen.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,362

As a Pig main, I think this is fine.

It's like those saying No Mither + Plot Twist being able to end Corrupt Intervention is an issue, and.. no dude, you're freaking running No Mither and Plot Twist can't actually be used for it's intended purpose.. and when the killer doesn't have Corrupt, well you're freaking running No Mither and a useless perk.

• tkwmm
    tkwmm Member Posts: 103

The Perk alone is fine, just make it doesn't synergy with For the People, then killer can counter it by pick up downed survivor before getting healed. This make the perk somehow anti slugging. Which encourage both survivor and killer play strategically.

• ExpertKingz
    ExpertKingz Member Posts: 5

Disagree heavily that Buckle Up is the problematic perk. Without FTP’s ability to instantly heal a downed survivor, Buckle Up is very niche in effect. To gain value from the new endurance effect without FTP, you’d need:

-A survivor to be slugged for some time

-To fully heal that survivor

-To have the killer be close nearby as the heal is completed and hit you within 10 seconds

These situations do not happen overly frequently in matches, and have fair counterplay from the Killer, as they can choose to interrupt the heal or not slug the survivor if they know Buckle Up is in play. Also, this is the first time Buckle Up has ever been moderately useful in the meta, so I’d prefer it to not be nerfed into oblivion. The simple solution is to simply change FTP so that heals done using it do not activate Buckle Up. This is already the case with MFT’s endurance effect, so there is no reason why this is not already the case.

To address your point that FTP should not be changed as it is already underused, this change already applies to MFT and FTP combo, so there is no reason why this shouldn’t happen again with Buckle Up. Just because a perk is niche and fairly underused doesn’t mean it isn’t effective and should be allowed to have overpowered combos when used with other perks.

• dbdthegame
    dbdthegame Member Posts: 699

You can't pick up a survivor if FTP happens during attack cooldown.

FTP is already an A tier perk. And picking up slugs is not at all uncommon. Slugging in general is very strong, which is why Unbreakable is considered an S tier perk. In the scenarios where BU gets value (entire team slugged or injured), the value is insane. It doesn't need to be any stronger than it currently is. Not to mention it functions as a straight upgrade to WGLF.