Please check if your issue has already been reported first!

When reporting a bug, please follow the template provided, otherwise the report will be declined. The information requested is vital to allow us to correctly reproduce and then fix what you are reporting.

Proton Memory Leak

SexArcana
SexArcana Member Posts: 8
edited August 2023 in Bug Reporting

As of currently. attempting to run Dead by Daylight under Proton will result in a memory leak in DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping, gradually increasing far past the amount the game should be allocated and reaching upwards of 12GB before either being interrupted or hanging the system, forcing a shutdown. I have been able to reproduce the issue on multiple, differently-configured Linux systems, including:

My ASUS G15 ROG Strix Advantage Edition: Running 6.4.11-arch2-1 with both Mesa RADV (lib32-vulkan-radeon) and AMD Open (lib32-amdvlk) drivers. Memory leak.

My Steam Deck: Running OOTB up-to-date SteamOS with no modifications. Memory leak.

My Personal Computer (Intel i7-8700k, NVidia Geforce GTX 1070Ti): Running 6.4.11-gentoo-x86_64 with NVidia Proprietary (nvidia-drivers) drivers. Memory leak.

I have attempted using multiple different builds of Proton on each device, including Proton 7.0-6, 8.0-3, and Proton Experimental 8.0-20230817. I've even attempted using aftermarket Proton versions such as Proton-GE 8-11. All of them result in the same issue: a memory leak.

This only started happening this morning, without updating any packages or reconfiguring any of my systems. All tests were performed once without touching any of the system packages managers, and once after updating to the latest packages, and all resulted in the same conclusion: a memory leak.

Post edited by SexArcana on
2 votes

Under Review · Last Updated

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue, we are forwarding this to the team for their review.

Comments

• SexArcana
    edited August 2023

Update: Bug appears to be exclusive to AMD processors/gpus. After attempting to reproduce the bug again on my gentoo machine I found that the crash happened for a completely different reason entirely (being that my installation was horrifically misconfigured and EVERYTHING on the system was using extremely high resources). Attempting to reproduce it with a properly configured install was impossible. Bug still stands as-is on the ROG and the Deck, both of which use AMD Renoir.

I'd also like to note that I've tried downgrading the kernel and installing alternative blobs for the drivers, and it's gotten me nowhere. The game still leaks even on extremely old kernel versions as well. Either this is a breaking change in a very specific wine dependency (which would be documented) or a game bug, and I'm heavily inclined to believe it's the latter.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,261

Oddly enough, I'm not running into this issue on my Arch kernel. I suspect it's AMD GPU related because I"m on an AMD processor and Arch kernel and not experiencing this. The key difference being I have an Nvidia GPU. Screenshots of my configuration and resource usage with DbD running. Game runs fine on my end. Weird.

• SexArcana
    edited August 2023

Yeah this appears to be a very specific bug targeting Radeon systems. Weird thing was that the game was working just fine until around midnight the 23rd. As I've said it's not a driver or kernel issue, I've tried rolling back both to no avail.

The only package that I haven't checked is mesa (which I upgraded on the 22nd) but I don't want to risk rolling back all of its dependencies and permanently ruining my install. Besides that mesa already has really tight version control because of how important it is as a core package, so it's unlikely to be the issue.

If I could read my own logs for the game I could probably narrow down where the issue is coming from but unfortunately we're just gonna have to wait for BHVR to do it.

• SexArcana
    edited August 2023

This can be closed as a Technical Issue now, but I'd wait until the next release of mesa when it "officially" gets fixed since not everybody has the ability to use source packages. It was a mesa bug as I suspected in the last post.

For anyone else experiencing the issue, switch to mesa-git for the time being until it's pushed to upstream. It'll pull in the commits to RADV that fix the DBD shader leak. AMDVLK users, uh, tough luck I guess.

Post edited by SexArcana on