Unhook body blocking

Since they added base kit bt, and the little speed boost, after unhook. The unhooked survivir tends to block fo their savior who is usually full health. I know some people dont like that fact and I di think its a bit odd and an unintended consequence of attemting antitunneling mechanics. The only issue, which isn't really an issue as it tends to lead to free wins, that arises is if a unhooked survivor gets in my way I just end up eating the endurance then downing them again. Some of the people have complained about tunneling but at that point you're asking for it if you're impeading my path to my only other known target. Thoughts?

Comments

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

The world needs more tunnels.

Always tunnel.

Unless you're Blight. That's bad tunnel.

• oreoslurpee
    oreoslurpee Member Posts: 288

bodyblocking at that moment, is reasonable to tunnel. i wonder what would happen if instead of basekit BT they just gave the haste effect & no collision

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

This is a great summary of how it feels to be on these forums.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,064
    edited October 2023

I think this also gives an indication of the average age some of these kids have. Thanks God I'm on Epic - stalking is not possible but I get my extra, juicy comments in the endgame chat. I simply don't benefit from this privilege by closing it.

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 158

The game is able to detect when a bodyblock has been performed, there are achievements and perks that count them, so it's possible to disable the endurance when used with this intention. But I wouldn't expect them to change it.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,678

Disabling BT when taking a protection hit would just nullify the entire point of having BT as an anti camping feature.

Hitting the survivor immediately off hook, when the unhooker is right there would also count as a protection hit, and the unhooked survivor would go down instantly. That is exactly what happened before base kit BT was implemented, if someone wasn't running the (mandatory) BT perk.

There's no reason to giga buff camping by going back to this.

• Melinko
    Melinko Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2023

The first post states "if a unhooked survivor gets in my way"

That says they were near a hook. It doesn't say why. There is so seldom a good reason to be around the hook. Almost always (Note, almost was stated) it is just laziness.

BBQ and Chili shows you so many targets the moment you hook a survivor.

Ultimate Weapon allows you to open a locker and hunt the map looking for a target.

etc, etc, etc...

It is super easy to hook and find someone new to chase in the current state of the game.

What is happening more and more pretty much every game at the moment, is the killer hooks. Walks away a little bit and looks around for the person to come rescue and chases that survivor to the hook looking for a trade. That's why people use the body block and that's why people call it tunneling. The killer knows exactly what they are trying to do, get hooks without having to do any work. It's lazy.

• Melinko

Did you see the part about almost always....

If the survivor is foolish enough to run right up on top of the killer, then smack them.

That doesn't happen often. Between matches I've watched on stream or matches I've been in or matches my friends have been in or matches discussed in a DBD Discord server, the issue is almost always the killer running back to the hook or staying close by.

If the survivors are dumb enough to unhook right in front of you, so be it but you know as well as anyone else posting here that if the killer is walking away and the terror radius is gone, they will turn and sprint back when they hear that unhook sound, even if they have seen an aura elsewhere.

And that is what I call lazy. I've watched killers break a chase to go back to hook on numerious occasssions because the people at the hook are easier targets.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,311

It doesn’t matter what your opinion of the killers actions are.

No player has a right to complain and disparage another player for playing the game however they want to as long as they don’t break the rules that were set by the developers.

They’re more than welcome to write to BHVR or post a constructive thread about their grievances and how they think the game could be changed to be made more enjoyable for them. But to attack another player for playing the game is immature and ridiculous.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 530

That'd be stupid cause taking the hit is valid if the unhooker is also injured. However if someone takes the hit for a healthy survivor then its completely on them when they get downed and hooked again.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

dude some survivors unhook right after I hook someone they like right behind me when I hook someone and if the unhook survivor body block for them that on them they asking to be tunnel at that point.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

As already mentioned there's numerous reasons for a killer to be near the hook as the unhook happens.

The survivor is unhooked before the killer has even had a chance to properly leave. This is actually a lot more common than you'd think, especially when it's a confident SWF. Infact if you're against a SWF they're even MORE likely to bodyblock with BT for their friend as well.

The killer does leave and looks for other survivors and just doesn't find any for a while. If the hooked survivor is still hooked, may as well head back and confirm another hook stage or catch someone going for the unhook. Depending on perks and how stealthy the survivors are, this can happen decently often. Yes aura reading perks can help but some can be played around and Distortion/OTR are popular perks which just stops them working. Also not everyone has bought the Alien chapter so don't have that locker-scream perk.

The killer does find someone and chases them and for some reason that survivor takes the chase back to the hook. This happens decently often as well, either because they're doing an archive and NEED that unhook, or they're just dozy.

There's three perfectly-probable reasons for the killer to be nearby as the unhook happens that aren't laziness/camping, and they're all things that do happen to many killers. Yes, much of the time it will be because they're proxy-camping and just wanna tunnel, but often it's not that, and to imply it's always just lazy, evil killers is silly.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,476

I always try take a hit. I don't care if I get tunnelled though. I rarely do anyway. Best way I've found to get tunnelled is to take a later hit with OTR. But I'll do that when the person being chased is on death hook and I'm not, as I can afford the hook state. The worst part of solo q has always been bad team mates, so I make it a point to not add to the problem and to help other players out. We always hear from killers about how certain strats and approaches are necessary at certain points of the game, well it's the same for survivors - if someone is on death hook, the team is better off with them in the game than out of the game.

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 334

I make it a point to go after the unhooker. However, if you chose to bodyboock me when I am clearly going for the unhooker you are my target.

Do not use a defensive perk or basket protection to stop me from going after someone else. You are using it offensively. Basekit BT is used to help you get away. Use it for its intended purpose. Do not weaponize it.

At that point your asking for a tunnel. I will throw the whole game to remove you from it.

• Melinko

And in those cases, as I even said multiple times. That's on the survivors, hit them. However, again... those situations are the minority of times.

You said it yourself "Yes, much of the time it will be because they're proxy-camping and just wanna tunnel" but instead of addressing that issue people want to defend it because someone used a mechanic to block a hit from a killer being a bad player and lazy.

I've played in SWF groups where we rush the hook and get our teammate off quick and scatter. Not once have we called the killer a tunneler when we are the ones diving in. The OP talks about being called out for tunneling, and that I've only seen happen when the killer has no real reason to be at the hook. I'm yet to see people claim tunneling when they do an instant unhook, or a survivor running right at them.

So, as soon as I see that they've been called out for tunneling, makes me believe that the survivor was waiting and they proxy camped and went sprinting back. So the teammate took the hit to avoid the trade.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815

You're not the boss of me.

If I know where 2 people are, I'm not going to go look for a third, you can unhook safely or someone goes up. I give people a chance to unhook when I want to, if I don't, I don't. I won't be bossed.

You can take your time-out whenever you want, but I'll put you on a hook if I see you lounging around. If you don't like how I kill, run.

• Melinko
    edited October 2023

You realize that eventually they will add more features to prevent killers from doing this right?

Basekit BT to prevent tunneling.

Auto-unhook to prevent the facecamping.

Instead of using all the perks the game has and actually.. playing, hunting, you doing the thing... this is the mentality of a majority of killer mains. Keep playing that way, and the Devs will step in and make another mechanic that forces the change, versus players being smart enough and mature enough to go, let's make the change ourselves so that when it is needed to hit a person near hook they aren't protected by a mechanic.

Basekit BT never would have been needed had killer mains been better at the start.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

Easy.

Hook, down another survivor, hook them and if no one is readily available via bbq then back to previous hook.

I am not tunneling, I am not camping or proxy camping. it's a result of cumulative misplays on the survivors part and if at that point they take the bt hit, they have it coming X10.

• Melinko

You left the hook to hook another, at that point all is fair. That's good killer play and if they don't see the chase is happening and take that time to go unhook, then they screwed up.

But you also can't be called out for tunneling since you hooked two different people already.

• Sava18

Thank you. That's about the only time I "tunnel" depending on a persons definition of tunneling.

• Melinko

No worries.

From my experience in the game and from what I've seen mostly posted on these forums, you are the minority for ending up back at a hook.

As @Krazzik said in an earlier post "much of the time it will be because they're proxy-camping and just wanna tunnel" and that is what I've seen the most. And those are the people that come on here and cry about basekit BT and being called a camper/tunneler, when they are playing that exact style.

The people who don't play that style normally aren't called out for their play and if they are, they can calmly explain why they didn't actually tunnel versus coming here to find people to take their side.

• Sava18

I would agree with you. That is likely the reason most people get hit with bt.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815
    edited October 2023

I love basekit BT, gave survivors a way to invite tunneling. Anti-camping is fine with me, if I want to kill someone, I'll use it just like I use BT. Jump off the hook/rehook might be faster than waiting through hook states. I've been playing against perks for years, I'm fine with all of them. That's the challenge in the game, succeeding despite the opposition. I care more about the fun of trying than winning, that makes me hard to dissuade.

Maybe someday the devs will add a mechanic that forces you to see the opposition as a challenge instead of something that needs to be removed from the game.

• Melinko
    edited October 2023

I play more killer than anything. Dredge, Scratched mirror Myers are my two main plays. With scratched mirror I can see through walls, see survivors running to save, and I still walk away.

Why? Because I have gens to defend not a hook.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 937

Tunnelling someone that forces the bodyblock after unhooking is fair game, but then again, tunnelling in general is "fair game", it's always on the killer player to decide whether they want to do it and whether they consider it to be "fair". Good killer players win most of their pub matches pretty decisively anyway, I find it ridiculous when they tunnel out clearly subpar players or let alone get emotional over some such player tanking a hit after the unhook. Perfectly possible to perform perfectly well without camping and tunnelling in most pub matches if you're even just halfway decent at the game, so live a little. That's my stance anyway, and part of the reason why I usually refrain from camping and tunnelling.

In general it can be said that a survivor taking a hit for someone else with unhook Endurance is not necessarily "looking to be tunnelled". The unhooker would often simply die if they didn't take that hit, and they have a limited time window within which they can take a hit without themselves dying. It's often simply logical or at least altruistically minded behaviour. Whether the person is "asking to be tunnelled" for me more so depends on the situation, such as where the hook is, how many gens are left, how many stages the unhooker they're taking a hit for has, whether the unhooker is even injured or even anywhere close to being in danger, whether the unhooked survivor has OTR, whether they are all in my face about it teabagging or the like, and so on. If a survivor just tactically tries to take a hit, I will regularly just wait out Endurance (if possible, otherwise just hit them and send them off), down them and leave them on the ground to still go for the unhooker.

In either case, I think it would be good for the game if they were to remove collision for the unhooked survivor for those 10 seconds of unhook protection, making it impossible (or at least more difficult) to tank a hit for someone else after being unhooked. However, in turn unhook protection should be invincibility and not Endurance, meaning that if you are hit within those 10 seconds, you don't enter Deep Wound. This would make perks like OTR, DH and Renewal much more potent at what they are supposed to do - help combat tunnelling.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

I would like to ask you one question. I'm not sure, but does this represent the average survivor skills across the country?

It looks like a scene from hell to me.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,862
    edited October 2023

This is why killers keeps getting nerfed. Survivors like this complain and complain that killers are too OP all while those very survivors play like this. It's bad plays that get them into hot water. Why should killers get punished?

It's not usually this bad, but these squeaky wheels always seem to get the oil from BHVR.

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 713

Very unfair for killers to be able to continue to play the game after hooking someone instead of going afk for 20 minutes to allow survivors to win

• ironligma
    ironligma Member Posts: 119

You go to take a hit then I when I'm not going for you I will hit you then down you. You lost the right to call it tunneling

• Trex_Crazy
    Trex_Crazy Member Posts: 209

What? Thats just a poor play on your part. If we do the math here we've got one survivor on hook and one going for a save so only two people doing gens. Now we walk away and get someone off a gen and we go to one.... but wait now the other two are on gens because they reset when you walk away so now weve got three people on gens and one in chase. Not a great gen defense plan.

Now if we play it differently and go trade hook or redown the unhookee should they block Ive now got another hook and a chase meaning another persons got to go for the save meaning now we've only got one person on the gens. Ergo the better gen defense is to occupy as many survivors as possible and not just make sure they arent touching them at that exact moment.

• Melinko

Bad math.

Two at hook, have to go heal while running sloppy butcher so it takes longer.

Take chase of another with scratched mirror is easy and now only 1 person is on gen. Down the next person and someone again has to run across the map to rescue.

This actually makes a survivor need to be in constant motion, off of gens and running to a hook. I'll never understand why killers don't grasp that. Hook on one side of the map, go hook on the other side next. This makes someone need to be running and rescuing and not on a gen.

So check your math again.

Your way - trade at the hook. 2 stay on gens (and finish their gens) while you have one hooked and one injured.

My way - There is 1 on a gen, one running to unhook, one hooked and one being chased.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

This does also bring up a good point. Unhooks aren't supposed to be free. You're not supposed to always be able to unhook and heal under the hook and then go off to a nearby gen completely unimpeded.

It feels like some survivors genuinely expect to be able to do all that for free and if the killer ever tries to stop them then they're a bad player.