We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

God I wish Trapper had a decent rework

Options
sluc16
sluc16 Member Posts: 529
edited November 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Is amazing that the face of the game is the weaker killer of all, the amount of disadvantages this killer has is mind blowing.

-Is the only one that has to run around the map to "collect" his power, and he cannot even collect them all at the same time.

-The add-on to actually have all the traps does not let you pick hem up again which is ridiculous.

-He is the ONLY killer that is actually affected by his own power (no add on should be needed for this).

-The amount of times survivors free themselves from a trap at the first attempt is insane, every time you actually catch someone you have to pray you make it there in time before they free themselves. And even with the Honing Stone add on, another survivor just goes and frees them.

- He has no chase power at all

-Other that hag and SM, is the only killer who´s power can just be disabled by survivors, but neither hag or SM have to run around the map to get the traps

-He is useless in indoor map since there is no way to hide the traps, they are just there completely visible and easy to spot.

I wish this killer had the attention he deserves and was remade in a way that made him more fun and balanced. Is sad he is only kind of fun to use in very specific maps with very specific build.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,077
    Options

I wouldn't say he is the weakest anymore. Not when Freddy exists in his current form.

Regardless, Trapper is in a tough spot. All the buffs he has received certainly help but his real problem wasn't tackled at all. It doesn't matter, if you have all your traps or not, when they won't do anything and traps won't do anything when survivors can easily see them from a distance. Trapper used to be pretty nasty because he could place his traps in spots that would make them completely invisible. This naturally felt terrible to play against.

But now we have the exact opposite with most maps making your traps stick out like a sore thumb. I'm sure gonna catch a lot of survivors with a trap that could have a neon sign next to it, saying: "Definitely a safe spot right here. Not trapped at all. First one to step on this mark gets a free medkit." and would probably be more hidden than it is now. They know the issue but for some reason they keep making the same mistakes. They delete any and all grass in their map reworks.

It's not true, that he has no chase power at all. In fact, his might the strongest chase power, theoretically. Set up a trap and suddenly the safest of loops becomes a death trap. But this is not going to help him all that much when he still needs to catch up and deal with the next loop. If his power were to work outside of chase, then this would not be as much of an issue but here we are.

Trapper also isn't useless on indoor maps. I'd say that Midwich (for all the wrong reasons) and Hawkins are some of his best maps. Midwich allows him to lean into his nastiest play style (lockdown Trapper) more strongly and with the latest buffs to his kit, he can perform fairly well on it. Hawkins has some spaces where traps are quite hard to see and similar to Midwich there are some spots that you can trap to shut down a good part of the map, which forces survivors into hit or hit scenarios. It's more that maps like Ormond, The Game, Badham, Eyrie of Crows, Haddonfield, Lery's, RPD, all Coldwinds, Borgo and now even Mother's Dwelling and Temple of Purgation are quite bad for him. There is no way you will catch a survivor by surprise with your traps.

The devs said before, that they don't want to change Trapper too much (understandable as he is symbolic for DBD) but all of these buffs don't fix his issues. Because the issue isn't Trapper so much as the game that has changed around him. He is one of those killers, that suffer from the game's old age. Survivors have learned to look out for traps and to avoid common trap spots. With the lack of other spots to hide traps in, there really isn't much he can do, other than playing lockdown Trapper, which I think most of us will agree is neither fun nor healthy for the game.

• dknb
    dknb Member Posts: 120
    Options

Trapper is fine.

No need to change.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November 2023
    Options

Right now I am trying a Trapper winstreak, copycating Otz with his impressiv 50. I just finished game number 12. Long way to go. 😁

Trapper is and was always a mixed bag for me. He can be super frustrating when all your traps get disarmed one by one or when your 500IQ trap wont work since the survivor is not smart enough to tun into that trap ;-)

On the other hand, for example during my last game i had one of those amazing rare moments with 3 people at the same time in a trap (NO Honing stone) und you feel like a complete genius. Or when you force the playfield to the side where you have preped and all goes as planned.

Trapper will not be able to comepte with a strong tournament team, probably even strugles against a very strong pub team, but that is completly fine. He is what he is, and he is good in what he is doing.

I like him as he is right now, all i am asking are some minor map changes.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,884
    Options

YEEESSSS.

He had 6 traps, but each of them were really deathly that there were so many spots that completely hide his traps, making each setup was valuable. Once I have 6 traps finished. Game on.

But now he has 10 traps, I dont know where to set them anymore because the lack of grass and choke points. 3 traps on the North side, then you move to the West to set up and hear disarming sound at the North. Making all those time you spend to setup becomes a waste.

His power meant to making 6 strongest loops heavily weakened. Now you have to use them like Artist, put it down at loops mid chase and get Haste from it. Or trying to lock down a part of a map. Smart pre setup no more work on him.

• AddanDeith
    AddanDeith Member Posts: 54
    Options

trapper has a high skill ceiling, you just have to know the secrets and plan your game ahead by bringing map offerings and using certain builds.

trapper doesn't need a rework, he needs a few buffs like traps that are longer to get out of so if survivor is caught he is done.

I would increase traps disarm time by 25% and make it so survivors are hindered if they're injured by trap for 15 seconds so rescuing them will be beyond just disarming trap, but supporting their escape too.

• xEa
    Options

I swap around a lot. The recent games i was running:

• Pain Res
    • Corrupt
    • STBFL
    • Bam

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,683
    Options

Yeah, its cool that killers can win with Niche builds, i do also have a basement trapper that 80% win, but its really not fun when you have to play in a certain way with "locked perks" to get a win.

Overall i think OP makes a good point.

Lets try to put some of the killers in trappers shoes.

Imagine if :

• Nurses teleport had charges, with a carry capacity of 2, spread out on the map, that she needed to pick up before she could teleport.
    • Blights Rush had charges, with a carry capacity of 2, spread out on the map, that he needed to pick up before he could use it.
    • Bubbas chainsaw had gasoline cans, with a carry capacity of 2, spread out on the map, that he needed to pick up before he could use the chainsaw.
    • Dead Slinger rifle had ammo, with a carry capacity of 2, spread out on the map, that he needed to pick up before he could shoot.
    • Weskers charge had charges, with a carry capacity of 2, spread out on the map, that he needed to pick up before he could charge.

We could do this with all the killers, but would then not become extremly limitied on what perks were playable on them if killers should have any chance to get kills?

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,229
    Options

His biggest issue is that he does not really have a supernatural power by concept so by staying true to the theme of guy with machete and bear traps there are not really many ways to help him out. On the same time he is usually miserable to against, because if you are in chase and you get caught in a trap you are just done, so you need one person dedicated to getting rid of traps, which is miserable for the trapper again... I cannot think of an outcome that is not terrible for at least one side...

Well at least they can make it easier for him to pick up his traps... I would even be in favor of a get rid of trap button so you don't have to pick them up again... But also in a way that prevents you of just locking doen basement or whatever. Like I said it is kind of rough to help Trapper.

• xEa
    Options

The Trapper is still a strong killer, not against the best teams but the average team.

The thing is, that i know what you try to say, but that does not work for trapper, because his power is working totally diferent. Alone that he can shut down loops with a trap and that he is able to get a kill on a healthy person by not even chasing this person is very special.

And last but not least, he can snowball more then most other killers. Person on hook, the rescue steps into trap, the chased survivor also runs into a trap during chase - we all know this scenario and we also know that this can completly turn a game in seconds. You never know with traper until the very end. Sometimes you are very unlucky and get only 2-3 hooks and the game ends then with a 4K because stuff like that happens.

You get what i mean.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,683
    Options

This is why i only play basement trapper if i play seriously. Its the most efficient way to play him.

As for shutting down loops, the time it takes to place the trap in a chase will just make the survivor run to the next loop and most of the time trapper gain nothing.

Suggestion for a "fix/improvement"

What if, Trapper had a "super power" that instead of going round the map to collect traps, after placing a trap, a timer starts, and when that timer runs out, a new trap spawns in hes "hands" just like Freddys dream snares work. (timer could be longer, thats up to bhvr to find out) ?

• I think that would balance him
  • Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,576
    Options

Trapper needs to start with all his traps. Give love to the killers that started this game, devs buf and nerf, buff and nerf constantly, rather then be happy and standing firm by their product, if I was BHVR, I would be like this is it, deal or not, are we going to nerf, buff, killers and survs til we are all happy and want an easy piss march in this game?

• KalamariGaming
    KalamariGaming Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 4
    Options

Trapper is called the trapper so why doesn't he have different kinds. first he has the bear traps, then he has traps that he can put into the generator which goes off if someone misses a skill check or some other condition that I haven't thought of, then he has a line trap (forgot the name) that if survivors go through them they scream and are hindered for some amount of time.

• TickTackBoooom
    TickTackBoooom Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 46
    Options