Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Does the Hillbilly run slower when revving?

Options

I am about to embark on the journey of playing the Hillbilly. Does he run slower when he is revving his chainsaw?

Also, can anyone give me any general tips for playing him?

Answers

• Config
    Config Member Posts: 304
    Options

Yes he does, ALWAYS run at least one speed addon

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,764
    edited December 2023
    Options

His movement speed is slower when revving his chainsaw. His base movement speed is 4.6 m/s, but he moves 3.68 m/s when reving his chainsaw, meaning you are slower than a Survivor, but if you are back-revving, the Survivor will normally move side to side and youll gain distance on them.

During a Chainsaw Sprint, he moves 9.2 m/s, this can be further increased with Doom Engravings and Death Engravings but comes at a cost of extending his charge speed (which at base takes 2.5 seconds). 9.2 m/s sounds nice on paper but Survivors are still give ample time to reach, so his speed addons are quite strong, they let you make bolder plays.

If you are new to Billy, I can recommend using his base power to learn how it fundamentally works, THEN you can move onto using Engravings. I can recommend using Death Engraving first over Doom Engraving since you have more control when long-sawing; eventually you can move onto learning Death Engraving and then Double-Engravings.

His collision zones are basically the same as Blight but slightly wider at the edges (meaning youll get caught on more stuff), if this become too much of an issue, run Shadowborn so you dont hit off screen objects or use Heavy Clutch to offset the issue (Heavy Clutch only affects environmental collision, the hurtbox for Survivors remains unchanged).

Also never use Speed Limiter, it's not a "learners addon", it just sucks, it's one of the worst addons in the game and youll learn nothing from using it.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 872
    Options

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I have another question. When should I be revving the chainsaw?

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,764
    edited December 2023
    Options

Experimentation, honestly... There is no specific distance since it depends on the loop, the map, the addons you bring, the situation, etc. If you keep going at it youll eventually pick up on the timing.

There is no "Hillbilly bible" of what you do and dont with his power, it's partly contributed to how complex Billy's power is when you consider all possible factors, as a result, it's mostly up to the player to figure everything out.

TLDR; The best advice I can give is just trying it out.