New Gen Regression allows survivors to keep gens regressing indefinitely while they repair to 100%

Options
cbn17
cbn17 Member Posts: 5

With the new generator regression changes, survivors must repair 5% of a generator's charges to stop regression on a generator. As intended, this feature seems to have been implemented to stop "gen tapping" as a survivor strategy. However, it has had an unintended effect in the form of a tech/exploit that survivors can use to their advantage.

Each time the survivors stop repairing a generator, the 5% counter resets back to 0%. This means that they must repair the generator for 5% more charges in order to stop regression. For instance, let's say a regressing generator is at 50% progress. This means that the generator will stop regressing once survivors repair it to 55% progress. However, if survivors repair the generator to 54% and then stop repairing the gen (just for a moment), the repair progress is preserved and the gen must now be repaired to 59% to stop regression.

The problem comes in when survivors can repeat this tech/exploit infinitely to keep a generator "regressing" while simultaneously repairing it to 100%. If they repair 4%, stop, repair 4%, stop, and repeat, the survivors lose only a small amount of time while making sure the generator never stops "regressing." Skilled survivors have already started employing this tech. This is a problem because killers are unable to kick generators that are regressing. As such, survivors employing this tech can make an "immortal generator" of sorts, repairing a generator while rendering it unable to be kicked. This makes perks like Wiretap extremely strong because the killer cannot possibly remove the wiretap while the generator is regressing. In addition, killer perks like Eruption and Pop Goes the Weasel are made completely useless by this strategy because the killer must kick a generator to make use of these perks. The only significant downside for survivors in using this tech/exploit is that it is finicky and annoying to repeatedly repair and let go of a single generator.

I see two possible ways to hotfix this strategy while keeping the new gen regression changes in place. Firstly, the system could be changed so that any progress on a regressing generator up to 5% is lost if survivors let go of the generator before the 5% threshold is released. This would make this strategy impossible because survivors would no longer be able to make any progress on a generator without stopping its regression. Alternatively, the 5% threshold could be changed so that it measures the total progress made on the generator since the generator started regressing. In other words, the 5% would not reset when a survivor lets go of the generator. This means that if a regressing generator starts getting repaired at 35%, then once survivors repair the gen for 5% total, regression will stop. This would make this exploit/tech impossible because it would negate the "4% repair, stop, repeat" strategy described above, as the game would make the generator stop regressing once 5% total repair progress is made.

Thank you for your time. I hope I was descriptive and helpful in my report. Please let me know if you'd like a video depicting the tech/exploit I'm describing.

2 votes

Duplicate · Last Updated

Comments

• methos
    methos Member Posts: 29
    Options

Yes i saw that on Hens YT.

This abuse is stupid and sharing it too. plz fix it and stop these abuser streamer.

Btw. good idea from @cbn17

• cbn17
    cbn17 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I don't even really have a problem with people being able to use Wiretap on a regressing generator. I think that's a relatively fair trade-off for survivors, since every second they get value from Wiretap is a second they lose progress on the generator. My problem is that survivors are able to repair that same generator up to 99% while keeping Wiretap on the gen AND keeping the gen "regressing." It negates the entire downside of Wiretap and makes every gen-kicking perk in the game totally useless.

Even without wiretap, this strategy is very strong due to the latter effect; the only gen-regression perks in the game that can affect a regressing generator are perks like Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance, which makes it strictly better than Pop Goes the Weasel until this exploit/tech is fixed.