We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Purposely Lagging

Why can killers purposely lag out their connections to win matches? About 70% of the matches I play has the killer lagging for the entire match. It's not just a blip, it's from start to finish. Clearly the playerbase has caught onto this because there's so much more of it than there used to be. You can drop a pallet and then seconds later get teleported to the other side so the killer can get a free down.

Why does the server do whatever the client requests? If the client says "I got a hit" when the survivor is nowhere near by, the server should just say no instead of doing whatever the lagging player's connection requests.

If the killer is lagging that bad from the beginning, then the match should just be cancelled. You shouldn't incentize players to do this for an advantage. At least let us leave the match and get replaced with a bot. This is as close to cheating as you can get without being reportable.

Comments

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,819

Is it always on purpose though, or is that just something the internet has stirred up because of VPNs?

Sure I guarantee some people manipulate their internet speeds to gain an advantage, but as someone who has dealt with rural internet it's not always malicious or beneficial for the player. Lag has always been an issue with online gaming. We just have to accept that sometimes. I get plenty of matches where survivors rubberband around and I lose them in chase while the scratchmarks struggle to keep up.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 941

It should be the same for survivors. If they are lagging horrifically and it's giving them an advantage then they should get booted from the game and replaced with a bot.

My issue is that there's no reason for killers to not lag out their connection when they play. It incentivizes them to do so and in turn ruins the match for the other 4 players. If anyone should be punished for lagging horribly, it should be the player who is lagging, not everyone else.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,819

It's more of a mixed bag than you'd think.

I remember playing online games years ago when internet was very unstable, and DBD suffers similar issues as before. Swings not connecting despite making noises, getting hit way too far, players rubberbanding back and forth, the whole deal. It can be as detrimental to the lagging player as it is to the one getting hit sometimes. Heck, I bet most people are unaware of how many times a player failed to hit them when the server registers their movements differently due to packet loss.

That said, DBD is actually one of the better games I've seen when it handles weird lag oddly enough. And yes, a ping limit should be considered but have some kind of mercy for those with pings around maybe 120~sh MS ping. Usually when I see really bad lag it was around the 150 to 200 mark.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,203

While I do think the server can handle hits better, I do not agree with the idea that Killers constantly lag out their game for an advantage.

Yes some do, but a lot of players just have really bad internet, rather it be bc of the area they live in or financial reasons, so I think it's unfair to assume that all players are trying to gain an advantage.

• TieBreaker

Maybe they could just let survivors know before the match that the killer has a very high ping. That way we can choose to play the match or not.

• TieBreaker

I don't know if players are doing it intentionally. Although it doesn't make any difference to the outcome. It's definitely more common than it used to be. My issue is that there's no reason to not run really high ping in match. Even if you play in a densely populated area, you are always better off running a VPN and playing against survivors on the other side of the world.

If the killer is lagging that bad, they should be the ones punished for it in gameplay, not the opposing team. Failing that, just give survivors info in the lobby, so they can choose whether they want to play the match or not. If the killer is running 300+ ping then it's going to be unplayable and survivors shouldn't have to play the match or face a DC penalty for leaving.

• daLenster
    daLenster Member Posts: 101

It appears that lag has gotten worse. Perhaps I don't understand it completely, but I'm assuming it's because a player has a slower broadband connection than I do? I'm getting landed hits that are absurdly unfair.