Rotten Fields (Coldwind Farm)

Options
Peanits
Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,375
edited March 22 in Mapping the Realm

We'd like to know what you think about the Rotten Fields map, part of the Coldwind Farm realm. Please leave any feedback you have concerning this map as a comment on this thread. Your feedback can be as brief or detailed as you'd like!

Rotten Fields (Coldwind Farm) 267 votes

This map favours Survivors
30% 82 votes
This map feels balanced
31% 83 votes
This map favours Killers
38% 102 votes
Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• Johnny771
    Johnny771 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I believe this map is balanced, with the possibility of several loops and a killer shack in the middle, but with a reduced map size compared to older versions

• MarylinMonhoe
    MarylinMonhoe Member Posts: 108
    Options

Maybe too massive, but I find it balanced, just like this whole realm

Just bring back the night, that sunny day bothers me

• spike_lizard
    spike_lizard Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Options

Fine map

gives me a headache though

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

This is a map that most killers are not good at because the site area is vast. If the survivor properly plans to complete the generators at both ends, the gate will be energized at a considerable rate even if it is a nurse.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,468
    edited March 5
    Options

Don't have much to say about Coldwind in terms of balance.

As long as the maps is kept as daytime maps, then i'm happy.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,081
    Options

This is the one Cold wind map where I certainly believe it is survivor favored. The loops are all interconnected essentially with a circle around the map, along with easy access to shack in the middle, plus a size allowing for nasty gate and gen spawns.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,523
    Options

Feels balanced, but I wish corn was more interactable or destroyable with Killer powers.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,247
    Options

Map is balanced, but leans to killersided (in General, I dont think that Survivors who burn Coldwind in 2024 do their team a favor...).

However, the map is AWFUL. It is just a relict from the past and should get a major rework. A map with so much nothing is not really suitable anymore.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,732
    Options

Most killer sided of the Coldwind maps but I don't think it needs any major changes other than PLEASE go back to a night time aesthetic! You killed the vibe making them daytime maps :(

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,338
    Options

This map isn't too bad but I do think it could be shrunk a little. It's fairly big and has a lot of open space with nothing but corn, while a lot of the loops are towards the outside edges, meaning the killer often goes far away from the rest of the action when trying to chase someone since most chases gravitate towards the edges of the map (or to the shack). Could also use a few more lockers closer to generators.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,574
    Options

Incredibly boring map

• PaulieEsther
    PaulieEsther Member Posts: 71
    Options

Make the farms dark again!

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 646
    Options

This was the scariest farm map at night.. Now with the sun shining, all it does is make the game seem like some sort of tag simulator, especially from an audience perspective. There is nothing scary about this map during the day. Why even? I once had someone ask me what I was playing while on this map, and I told them its a scary thriller game that you try to escape a killer that is after you. I'm assuming they were confused as I told them this with the look on their face seeing a very bright sun shining in the background completely throwing off any feelings of unease or suspense.

They said it doesn't look very scary to them and I couldn't contest their point. It didn't help that the Killer was the Trickster........ Whew...scary..

• AMGC
    AMGC Member Posts: 39
    Options

Rotten Fields is a survivor favored map that carries problems from its realm and counts with a massive size that spreads the generators far and wide. The emphasis in having 12 corn exclusive filler tiles (where only a few weak filler loops spawn) makes the generators very easy to find (and therefore to repair efficiently) for the survivors while not giving the killer good lines of sight to not waste time patrolling generators that survivors aren't repairing. The layout has its best safety (except shack) on the edges so the corn area forces survivors to take chases around the outskirts of the map (when ending chases near the edge of the map is the tactically superior strategy by default since the killer takes longer to pressure the rest of the survivor team).

Coldwind Farm always had a very unique ruleset for its mazetiles, having both consistency and good distribution. Ever since the patch 6.6.0 (hidden mazetile RNG change that affected over 20 maps), Rotten Fields would always have 3 jungle gyms (classic pallet & window mazetile), 1 pallet gym (classic pallet only mazetile) and 1 LT (classic double window mazetile); the 2 mazetiles that go along the same edge of the map would never be 2 jungle gyms together so there was a warranty of good distribution of safety. Unfortunately, the last Coldwind Farm update ruined this ruleset and now the good distribution is not assured and there is a huge disparity in strength given that now you can have a second LT spawn, randomly removing one jungle gym so one trial can have 3 jungle gyms and another can have only 2.

The realm Coldwind Farm is known for having very strong safety yet not a very high amount of pallets, favoring skilled survivors over killers since the limited amount of safety is enough to excel but the less skilled survivors can be at a frustrating disadvantage. This unfair and unfun gameplay loop is enabled by the filler loops, their low amount yet overwhelming safety grant the survivors too few loops to play with and don't allow the killer to outplay most of them (unless their chase power does). All the haybale filler loops are safe and some even trick the killer into attempting mindgames when the survivor can see them over the loop (but the killer can't see the survivor). The plank focused fillers overall lean more towards semi safe except for one that is excessively large with a tractor on one side and a very large L shaped long side (this loop is absurdly safe). The new corn located fillers are unsafe but they dont weaken Rotten Fields at all since they aren't replacing other loops and instead add on top.

The realm Coldwind Farm should receive nerfs to the strong fillers while increasing the pallet density to compensate (and therefore make the gameplay more interactive with more loops for the survivors to use yet more room for the killer to outplay them).

The map Rotten Fields should recover its old mazetile ruleset or one similar to it, in order to increase the consistency and distribution of safety. The size of the map should be reduced to give the killer a better chance to defend the generators and the amount of mazetiles should either remain as 5 or decrease to 4, no less than that.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,074
    Options

Can't say it's whoever sided, but somehow it's always raw matches here on both sides. Probably RNG sided and depends on killer who play as/against.

• TripleStryke
    TripleStryke Member Posts: 53
    Options

This is a map that's just boring for everyone. The gen spread is just too large for any killer without mobility to handle. The outer ring of the map is either too strong or too weak, but the map size definitely compensates for the weakness most of the time. It also falls into the same issue as other corn maps where the fillers, especially on the outer ring are just unplayable for killer. People want to loop stuff, being forced to drop the pallet as survivor and insta break as killer just isn't fun.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 933
    Options

Love the map. Just straight cornfields and a Killer Shack. I wish the corn was denser but overall a thematic success in delivering a “cornfield” stage for horror.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 858
    Options

I like the map, an actual cornfield with combine harvesters towering over it which grant an overview. Only thing I don't like (apart from harvesters not offering much play potential for survivors) are LT-walls spawning in isolation. At the very least have some of the weak corn fillers spawn in adjacence to them. Map could be a tad smaller.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,508
    Options

strong pre-running from survivor because corn blocks killer vision but survivor hear terror radius therefore knows killer location ahead of time.

big map with large gen spread

5 maze tiles means that 5 jungle gym can spawn, most of the pallets are safe.

• Orthane
    Orthane Member Posts: 365
    edited March 5
    Options

Wow this is the most divisive map by far. 1/3 exactly for each vote. That's wild.

• TheSemitron
    TheSemitron Member Posts: 14
    Options

This map could use a true main building like what skull merchant did to shelter woods

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 673
    Options

Bit surprised this vote is diverse. I agree with what AMGC said. Maybe because the pallet count is slightly lower it gives the illusion of being killer sided for some, especially for newer/weaker players who might run windows and not looked behind them. No offence/no judging we all have our talents in life and you don’t have to be Uber good at this game to weigh in with an opinion.

However the map feels quite survivor sided with strong players. It’s not Garden of Joy or Badham bad but there’s a lot of extremely powerful loops that can’t be mind gamed. Chasing good survivors with m1 killers is hell here.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,392
    Options

The problem is that once shack is down / someone goes down near shack, the game becomes heavily in the killers favor if they decide to proxy camp. There's absolutely nothing in the middle of the map besides shack and corn.

Snowballing on this map is way more volatile than most due to the basement spawn and map layout making it super easy to proxy camp. The survivor that goes basement is more than likely lost unless the others decide to give up a bunch of pressure to make the save.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    edited March 5
    Options

i like it, might be a bit big but i don't mind it, pallet density and tile count are reasonable. shack is right in the middle of the map but i appreciate that it's isolated so it can't be chained super easily.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 495
    Options

Have you guys thought about including some info so we know which version of the realm you're asking for feedback on? I've played for three years, but I still can't tell you which version of a realm is being referenced based on name alone.

I know we can go google it, but you might get more feedback if people could identify which map you are asking about without having to go look it up.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,205
    Options

More on the boring side as there is no main, field area is too empty and too much corn isn’t fun.. for both sides at least imo. Loops and size may make it survivor sided but still very killer dependent.

i like the daylight setting, though would be cool to also have nighttime variants of coldwind (again) - also (and I know I am repeating myself) depth of field and lack of fog is making it too ‚open‘ and save

• kevinxfriday
    kevinxfriday Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3
    Options

The biggest issue with this map (and Wreckers Yard) is the lack of prominent land markers which a player can easily use to identify his/her location. When the shack is in the middle of the map and surrounded by multiple copy-and-paste tiles, it can be confusing as to where you are located at in the map.

Many players use a simple North/South/East/West legend or clock diagrams (12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00) to help traverse the map, but that is nearly impossible on Rotten Fields and Wreckers Yard.

Simply adding a secondary building structure and/or re-locating the shack to a corner will easily remedy this issue.

Another feature which I'm surprised BHVR has yet to add is a mini-map compass or a simple rotary "North" icon, which will help players navigate their way across the map.

• YmPrat
    YmPrat Member Posts: 25
    Options

Coldwind Farms is far and above my least favorite realm to play on. As a R/G colourblind player I can't see a thing on these maps. Auras? Only if I'm next to a maze tile and have the wood saving my eyesight. Scratchmarks? What are those? They're the same colour as the ground so they're literally invisible. Please do something, the colourblind filters you put in after Almo embarrassed you by talking about them are awful and don't work and they make already unfun maps even worse to play on.

Rotten fields is a massive map that encourages survivors to play the edges of the map, increasing the distance a killer has to go to patrol gens. It's a map that can end up with huge deadzones if survivors play poorly making it appear killer sided for bad survivors but highlighting the strength for good survivors.

• Tipsy
    Tipsy Member Posts: 36
    edited March 6
    Options

Map is very large. The corn hurts killers a lot and can spawn a lot of very strong maze tiles and pallets all with can connect with each other making zones where its almost in possible to chase. Make the map small and lowering the strength of the filler pallets would be good start

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • KazRen
    KazRen Member Posts: 152
    Options

The map is leaning more towards survivor sided but this map is pretty iffy overall. The map is really large which is never a good thing, the outer area has a lot of strong loops that connect to each other way too easily, and the inner area around shack is literally nothing but corn and maybe one cone loop. I think this map needs a complete rework the way it's designed isn't really good.

• vbarraganj14
    vbarraganj14 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Dead zones, dead zones everywhere

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,432
    Options

same as other farm maps... seeing in corn is terrible. and worse for killer because it's first person.

we can literally delete this one... it's boring

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 284
    Options

Half dead zone, half infinite, all massive. I dont have an issue with the tiles since the rest is a deadzone but the maps way too big and I cant see anything.

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 316
    Options

Certain Killers can absolutely destroy on this map. By far this is the best Huntress map in existence and I hope this map never changes it's style because of that lol.

The huge size can make pressuring gens difficult, but you can usually just defend one side and have a good go at it.

In all I'd say this is Survivor sided, purely because shack links to everything on a large map. But there are RNG tile spawns that do allow Killers to play and engage effectively. But there isn't much of a high likely hood of getting that variation a lot so I say this is a Survivors map.

• Iri4head
    Iri4head Member Posts: 25
    Options

I honestly don't really know what to say about this map because it's mostly deadzones, but at the same time it's all corn, making hiding easy but chasing also easy. I don't really hate playing on it anymore after the change, there's just not really anything actually to the map, but It doesn't feel bad to play on.

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 227
    Options

At its best, this map is boring. At its worst, it's survivor sided because of how it's structured. The generators are structured in basically a giant ring around the only "building" on the map, which is the shack. Survivors who know how to play this map can create large areas of the map where the killer can't chase survivors without losing more gens. It's an annoying map because it's essentially a ring around a giant deadzone with shack in the center.

Overall, it's a boring map that can favor survivors.

• SimpingforThePig
    SimpingforThePig Member Posts: 29
    Options

It's a survivor-sided map. It's big and has few line-off-side blockers which ######### over stealth killers.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 599
    Options

My biggest issue with this entire realm is the fact that it has lost its horror vibe.. in the old version it was a dark, murky yellow realm with a unique darkness to it. Now after the realm beyond, its like a big old happy sunny day down on the farm.. I would hope that the old, murky yellow darkness can make a come back

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,271
    Options

Yes I'd like variants for nighttime for all of the Coldwinds.

• LordSimagical
    LordSimagical Member Posts: 24
    Options

Think it plays more comfy for killer but is a bit hard cause good strucktures for svr

• King_Flash05
    King_Flash05 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 35
    Options

I am not a fan of rotten fields, it's big, it has the same problem that old Fractured Cowshed had which is one big circle of tiles chaining together and the middle area is just a deadzone

• GRONZ1
    GRONZ1 Member Posts: 6
    Options

are you guys carrying a map convenient for killers main building shack run you there against the killer with a prank where then you will run around the shack absolutely empty

• WampaPl
    WampaPl Member Posts: 31
    Options

Not having a main building is a little boring. Balance wise I like that the shack isn't connected to maze tiles like it is in its Autohaven counterpart, but maybe being only surrounded by corn is overshoot in the other direction. I hope someday it will gat a main building

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

The map is too small. It hasn‘t good loops.

I would like to have more corn 🌽, instead of useless/bad loops. I also don‘t understand why there are stones and other things in the fields. No farmer would leave them there.

• RogueRoentgen
    RogueRoentgen Member Posts: 24
    Options

Another map that is balanced in the worst possible way, meaning that yes, it will take the killer 3 hours by car to cross it, but once you spot a survivor there is gonna be very little safety for them.

While Wreckers yard is a good example of a map with shack as a main building but still completely playable on both sides, rotten fields feels incomplete and empty. I wish it was smaller and with some safety around shack, or a proper main building.

Also, I really liked the atmosphere on old coldwind and I wish we could get it back :)

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,005
    Options

If you finally would fix the corn for Myers I would be fine.

• Lethal1903
    Lethal1903 Member Posts: 4
    Options

This map feels very balanced with evenly spread pallets and loops. But it does not feel very fun with the severe corn blindness, or how flat and boring the terrain is. I don't mind this map at all as survivor, but my opinion changes with it depending on which killer I'm playing. Stealth killers like ghostface or sadako feel weaker because of the little cover that the map provides, while ranged killers like huntress and trickster feel very easy to play here for the same reasons. 7.5/10 map imo, because boring balance is still better than a pretty map that is lopsided (like borgo, haddonfield, badham)

• D34D_B34TB0X
    D34D_B34TB0X Member Posts: 361
    edited March 14
    Options

This is the one where Shack is smack dab in the middle, right? This might be a hot take, but, could you guys add that scrapped Sawmall building? It's the only map that besides old Shelter Woods that doesn't have a main building. Also, can Farm please be taken place at night again? I miss when it had that orangey-brown filter, and it was all dark and gritty, not sunny. Idc about people complaining that Dbd maps being to dark, it's a horror game. Maybe they could add a Day/Night cycle for specific maps.

This discussion has been closed.