Hooks

Options
OneNineTwoNine
OneNineTwoNine Member Posts: 50
edited March 14 in Feedback and Suggestions

So after gen times have been increased multiple times, and we have 4 gen slowdown almost every match, people are still saying to just "do the gens" when the killer proxy-camps or tunnels, and my question to that is, how?

You have barely any time to knock out gens considering the fact that hooks are still the same duration as they have been, and no changes have been made to balance the gen times around that.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't increase hook stage durations, considering that it discourages camping by giving survivors more of an edge when the killer decides to play this way, and surely the ideal match is one where nobody is sitting twidling their thumbs waiting for the person to die?

It's anecdotal evidence of course, but in my experience every time the team tries to push out gens while the killer proxy-camps or tunnels, there just isn't enough time because you die on the hook so quickly. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Somethings gotta change, survivor is just miserable right now.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,361
    Options

You can force an unhook with little effort. Few killers even have the theoretic ability to stop you and when you dodge an attack or multiple survivors come, then you're guaranteed to get an exchange at least, which already counters camping. So there is no reason to change the hook times.

• OneNineTwoNine
    OneNineTwoNine Member Posts: 50
    Options

Fair enough. I guess I'm in the minority with this opinion then.

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 470
    Options

Not a bad idea, imo.

It would make proxycamping harder, the antifacecamp system slightly more effective...

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,315
    Options

I've been saying this since 6.1 basically. Match the hook stage timer to gen speeds.

It's the easiest, least abusable way to do literally anything to combat tunneling and camping. It doesn't do much, admittedly, but it forces a killer to decide to actively give up gens to commit to that one survivor.

I get that 'hanging on hook longer' isn't exactly gameplay, but neither is getting hard tunneled or playing m1 simulator on a gen.

• Felgoose
    Felgoose Member Posts: 163
    Options

Facecamping has been addressed. Proxy camping is confirmed intended to be viable by devs. Hook timer does not affect tunneling effectiveness.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 399
    Options

"You have barely any time to knock out gens considering the fact that hooks are still the same duration as they have been, and no changes have been made to balance the gen times around that."

I just have to quickly point out that this statement is completely false. Hooks used to be only 60 total seconds to complete a sacrifice back then way in the past and was increased up to 120 total seconds which is more time than what it takes to complete a gen which is 90 seconds. If you're all cranking gens when someone starts getting camped like that you can get 3/5 gens done before they get sacrificed and you'll typically already have some gen progress done before the first survivor even got hooked.

Also another thing that a lot of you seem to forget is about perks that go by a percentage-based system such as Monstrous Shrine. It's not a set number reduction, but actually a percentage reduction of 20% and, for anyone who doesn't know how percentages work, they have a greater effect on larger numbers so increasing the time on hook stages is just gonna indirectly buff Monstrous Shrine alone and BHVR would more than likely buff the perk directly as well to compensate for the longer hook state duration. It's the same problem with DS where BHVR stated in the past that if DS were to be buffed past a 3 second stun time again they would be making Enduring work against it again so right now it has a 3 second stun time and if it was buffed to 4 seconds than Enduring would bring that down to 2 seconds and with 5 seconds Enduring will bring it down to 2.5 seconds which means that just simply buffing the stun duration would make the situation worse than what it currently is.

The point that I'm trying to make here is don't blindly ask for something without thinking things through because that's how you make things worse for everyone.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,119
    Options

Gen times have been increased twice with the last one bring 7 years ago (April 2017) and the first being back in beta (afaik).

wdym multiple times as if its a common ocurrence? Survivors are capable of ending a match under five minutes and this was back with old Ruin.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

Old ruin was pretty badly designed tho and only worked against people who couldnt hit great skill checks. Those who could barely got affected

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,119
    Options

True, but that same type of player shouldn't have issues with today's meta. The general survivor player would struggle with Ruin depending on RNG and would venture to break the totem.