OhTofu says nothing but facts about SM for 40 seconds

Options
fussy
fussy Member Posts: 1,074
edited March 23 in General Discussions

I am personally tired of seeing complaints from the same people who completely ignore drones and run into them for no reason. People asked to make it more chase oriented, they did. Her hate is completely unjustified, she's hardly worse than some other killer in terms of annoyance, and she's not stronger than mid B tier when you don't ignore her drones.

Comments

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,025
    Options

I totally agree with him. There are many killers whose powers/ mechanics can be deactivated by survivors:

Alien - set up turrets

Pinhead - open his box

Legion - spread to gens and don't heal every single time

Larry - take an EMP

Trapper - disarm his traps

Pig - boop the snoot

But I often experience in Solo Q that exactly these things are not done. SM would only be half as strong if the survivors deactivated their drones instead of running blindly into them.

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 282
    Options

Real and true.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,676
    Options

I think a lot of people know them tricks but they still rather go next. The current skull Merchant isn't too bad but the damges old skull merchant cause is unrepairable.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 804
    edited March 24
    Options

Yet it really doesn't matter. Cause at the end of the day, the devs will eventually adjust her chase power in the future simply due to the fact that her killrate is too high and the majority of the community do not like her playstyle of receiving too many benefits from a simple push of a button. They explained why they changed sadako for a 3rd time, and it applies to SM right now. And OhTofu made that comment while in a swf. So can I really hold his opinion with a 4 out against a SM in that match...it's hard to.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 446
    edited March 24
    Options

I agree with him to some agree, she is not as bad as some other Killers imo, like playing mending simulator against Legion, or high mobility Killers rushing/teleporting back to hook to tunnel with 3-4 slowdown perks. I take a Skully over these any day.

There are aspects to her kit that are annoying and could use changes, but even then i think its not that bad as some other Killers i dislike a lot more.

1. Haste, its out of control often for both sides of the chase, i can understand why it feels bad to get downed because Skully got a speed boost because someone else across the map just ran through drones.
    2. The Undetectable is very weird and i would like it to be changed back to how it was before the rework, in fact there should be a brown that removes claw traps completely but buffs the hell out of the undetectable, like 20-30s everytime you activate it.
    3. The deep wounds feels a bit unnecessary and overkill, it already injures and breaks survivors to enable Skully to start the chase before they can heal.

I think she could have her haste and deep wounds removed, and be compensated somewhere else, like giving her the ability to shock the survivor once per clawtrap (which destroys it), which acts like Doctors shock, preventing a vault, canceling a healing for hemorrhage, enabling DMS etc.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    edited March 24
    Options

Its more or less just about making sure that survivors don't get punished for doing nothing wrong. And as someone who occasionally plays Skully, and when i played against her i can tell you that teammates getting claw traps randomly (to the point it looks like griefing tbh) is more common than you might think, its not really cool if the survivor who disabled traps and avoided all of them gets punished instead of the guy who just ran around not paying attention.

I think she gets overly hated because the macro gamesense of many players in DBD just suck, same reason why so many hate Plague even though she can be dealt with if you know how to play against her.

She doesn't need to get nerfed, just some changes to make her better for both sides, but even then i think most will hate her because of the hive-mind mentality of much in this community, hating her is simply lazy content that gets clicks so many streamers/youtubers and their fanboys who eat anything up won't stop even if they have to be completely dishonest at every turn, hell some of them are in this forum, i saw people who literally thought that Skull Merchants drones chased survivors like Nemesis zombies or Knights guards, these are among the people complaining about her despite apparently not even knowing the most basic facts.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,500
    Options

trapper and hag can re-arm and replace phantasms. I have no issues playing vs skull merchant. Ohtofu is right. survivor that d/c vs skull merchant are simply entitled/whiny.

• fussy
    Options

Completely agree with every word.

I think she gets overly hated because the macro gamesense of many players in DBD just suck, same reason why so many hate Plague even though she can be dealt with if you know how to play against her.

And for the same reason Onryo and Pinhead are still pub stompers.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 4,923
    edited March 24
    Options

Here's the question i have for you though.

So what?

With the 8 kicks max on a gen, she does that, you run away, she either:

A) kicks the gen, now she has less kicks

B) Doesn't kick the gen, your progress you did stays.

C) Chases you

If she kicks the gen, you just wait till she leaves and go back, repair the gen back, and by the time she gets to you she has to kick again, leaving her less kicks.

If she doesn't kick the gen, your progress you made stays and you just go back to it and continue working it.

If she chases you, great the rest of your team has time to do stuff.

So you just do that for a bit until you finish the gen. If she refuses to commit to a chase, you WILL outrepair her one way or another.

• fussy
    Options

This is literally what i did on screenshot above. I was playing with friends, so it was slightly easier, but even in solo it's not hard prerun every time you see killer comes to your gen. Complaining is easier, i guess.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    edited March 24
    Options

Freddys Traps can be disarmed by just intentionally running into them when its safe to do so, if he doesn't set them up and simply does it during the loop then just hold W to counter him completely, same with Hag, don't bother disabling them the normal way, just wait till she picks someone up and run through as many as you can, she can do nothing about it.

Skully also has to travel back to reset her drones, they don't come back on their own once you recalled them, and if you don't recall them you also don't get them back. so that argument is wrong too.

And Hags traps are INCREDIBLY potent during the chase, there are guides on YT that show how to play her aggressively, its definitely doable if not viable for everything except tournament play, im saying it as someone who mained her for a year, its just people naturally do it because they associate the word trap with defense of some kind, hell i even suggested to remove her ability set around hooks while giving her some buffs in the hopes people would realize that.

Oh and for the record, im not even the biggest fan of Skull Merchant, i just think she isn't that bad as many make her out to be, there are more annoying and unbalanced Killers in this game so i think the hate she gets is just disproportionate.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,207
    Options

To be fair, they did what could be done.

After the Freddy fiasco I don't think BHVR will drastically alter another killer's power again. Skull Merchant is fun to play as, and the aspects that made her an actual problem for the game are gone.

The hate train from her release is the only reason we are still seeing suicides on hook against her. Just like Legion, my friend.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

In any case, survivors who cannot deal with SM are invariably lacking in knowledge, and even if it is an SM match, it will not be a long match lasting more than 20 minutes unless something goes wrong. A sane survivor just does what he has to do before making excuses like, ``It's boring to meet my girlfriend.''

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

Rather than walk away, a sane survivor would think, "Okay, how do I stop her from doing what she wants?" This is because there is no need to be negative about things that are not that difficult.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,254
    Options

Idk about skull merchant but I cannot take tofu seriously, my man seriously tought old slinger was S tier, absolute Lmao take, like sorry even if hes right I just remember that awfull explanation.

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 282
    Options

tbf that probably comes from tofu paying a lot of attention to comp and even to this day deathslinger they categorize slinger as a tier 2 killer with wesker and executioner purely because his 1v1 is good. I agree that it's a bit silly to ignore slinger's atrocious mobility but tofu's opinion isn't as out there as it might seem.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,247
    Options

I am very sure he did not say S-Tier, but lack of counterplay. Which is 100% true for Release-Slinger.

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 334
    Options

Clip: "I don't think Skullmerchant is that bad go against"

🤔

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 334
    Options

It's only easy if you know how to handle it. Like the crouching in Hag's traps. But it's harder to understand and for everyone who don't "crouch" SM gets haste. The "noobs" make this killer op.

SM is the killer were I would check in the survey: The killer power is hard to understand for the opposing side"