OhTofu says nothing but facts about SM for 40 seconds

Options
13»

Comments

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,025
    Options

That's totally fine for me. I don't expect anyone to like SM. And yes, many still hate her because she was previously abused as a Chess Merchant. That's why I would like people to give her a chance. The fact that your randoms don't know how to play against her or just give up is definitely annoying. But that can happen to us with many killers in Solo Q :(

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,346
    Options

I don't condone just giving up immediately against her, or any killer really. But I get why survs do it. It'll take some time for the ire to subside some.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,266
    Options

It does appear that way sadly. Hoping that General V is right and eventually people get bored of hating her, like Legion.

• DyingWish92
    DyingWish92 Member Posts: 760
    Options

Can someone explain how the drones injure you and when they can't injure you??? Because I'm still lost on that.

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 725
    Options

If you keep looping or stay for too long inside the drones radius then you start losing healthstates (atleast that’s what I could process)

and they do nothing if you’re standing still

• Bloodwebs
    Bloodwebs Member Posts: 250
    edited March 25
    Options

20 - 40 upvotes. Majority of the community appears to agree against SM and still despise SM it seems.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,265
    Options

Why is Dredge boring and promotes poor gameplay? If this is only about forcing people into the remnant on small loops, then i dont know what to tell you.

You of course can have your opinion, but I think and experienced, that Dredge has a lot of deph. Both for a survivor and killer perspective.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Well, it is based on the only other experience we had. The hatred for Legion didn't dissipate immediately after his rework, but eventually people stopped DCing against them.

I hope the same happens to Skull Merchant.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,396
    edited March 28
    Options

I agree.

There are some absolutely wonderfully kind people in our community and I have had the pleasure and privilege to speak and play with them.

However, I can't help but agree that the bad elements far outweigh the good.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Pulsar
    Options

It really comes down to Remnant mindgames, which do have SOME counterplay. You can fake and bait a TP, which you can't really do with SM. However, it still promotes holding W.

Nightfall is really the thing I have the most issue with.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,177
    Options

Her chase oriented changes are pretty uninteresting. Killers getting random % increases based on your team's actions mid chase isn't very interactive.

• radiantHero23
    Options

Remnant can be countered by teammates running into it, shift w or mindgames. Thats counterplay.

"Promoting shift w" is sadly just a joke to me at this point. Its done against every killer if possible. It does not depend on the power "leaving no other choice" or not. I play Pig = shift w. I play Sadako = shift w. I play Legion = shift w. I play Xeno = shift w.

Its done mainly because its simple and incredibly effective.

Nightfall as survivor is annoying to deal with for sure. As killer though, its super nice to play around with. When looking at characters and perks, both sides have to be taken into consideration.

DH was super fun to use back then. Playing against it was one of the most infuriating things this game has ever created.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,623
    Options

"every SM I've played against since her rework has been an absolutely toxic human being"

Not "every" SM for me, but at least 8/10 of them have been like this for me too. I feel like 99% of the time I get humped on the ground and left to bleed out, it's by a SM. Not all SMs are trolls, but I feel like those who enjoy trolling gravitate to her most because she has the most success for the least amount of work.

• Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    Options
  • Pulsar
    Options

All of those Killers have chase powers that put Survivors into a losing scenario in a loop, except Sadako.

Nightfall is an accessibility nightmare on Survivor.

• radiantHero23
    edited March 27
    Options

Pig: heavily depends on loop and addons.

Legion: literally m1 killer if survivor is injured.

With Xeno, i absolutely agree.

My other points you just ignored. Wasnt it you, who once told me to answer all your arguments?

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 7,984
    Options

Should they change her name too, lol? Completely changing both her power and appearance is just a different way of saying "Delete this character and we both pretend the next character released is SM".

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510
    Options

Prefer more like "Delete this character and both pretend she never existed."

• canonjack001
    canonjack001 Applicant Posts: 66
    Options

Many killers can do this actually and even in faster way.

So the reason you hate SM is that she disturbs your repairing?😂

• Pulsar
    Options

Obviously Pig isn't going to be great around Shack, but around a lot of standard loops (think rock loops) she's extremely good right now

Legion, obviously yes when you're injured, but holding W away from a Frenzy Legion is the right move.

I'm usually fine with people only answering one of my points, but sometimes people don't answer any of them and that's when I ask them to stick to the point; so no, doesn't sound a lot like me.

Counterplay that relies on teammates isn't much counterplay at all for the majority of players.

• okaayletsgoo
    okaayletsgoo Member Posts: 146
    Options

They also need to go to where the trap was placed, spend time placing it. SM can recall and replace her drones at will which then give her undetectable.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 435
    Options

Well considering how universally hated she is, it would be for the best.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,910
    Options

If we start deleting content based on people not liking it, eventually there would be no content.

• Lynxx
    Options

Well the reason I hate her she gets stealth with no tells (like breathing or cloak flapping or even wraith growls), haste, hinder, free injures, anti-loop, and area control - all for just dropping drones, no real other action on her part.

• goodfriday
    goodfriday Member Posts: 209
    Options

I will take what oh tofu say and flip it around and say I will take ANY killer over skull merchant anytime anyday. I will even rather mend simulator legion or broken nurse anything than skull merchant.

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 123
    edited March 27
    Options

It is not even necessary to deactivate the drones, just crouch walk and repair.

I find it extremely annoying when I am unnoticed repairing a gen and a teammate comes to deactivate the drone attracting the attention of the Skull Merchant. A drone placed on a generator is a poorly placed drone, it is only effective thanks to people who don't understand how the killers works. A good Skull Merchant will place them in strong loops and forced transit areas.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,723
    Options

Sounds like trapper should get a buff where he can recall his disarm traps from a range.

• Lynxx
    Options

Deactivating the drones is indeed a waste of time and alerts the SM + she can simply recall them immediately anyway.

Of course if she comes calling then you get a scan almost guaranteed.

• Sandt1985
    Sandt1985 Member Posts: 209
    Options

The rework definitely made her weaker at holding gens. The issue was that survivors wanted it to be impossible for her to use her drones to keep an eye on gens. And for a killer that uses drones, what they are asking for is simply never gonna happen in any realm of the multiverse. Never. In a million years. I think its time for people to finally make peace with that.

The one nerf I'd be okay with is that when a gen is deactivated, it can't be recalled for 45 seconds, but as a downside, the player that deactivated the drone automatically gets a lock on stack. Risk, reward

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,778
    Options

I don't hate Skull Merchant, but I wish that her drones would go back to her after you disable them a certain number of times. It's not so much that it's impossible to play against -- just that it's very annoying for her to set them in the most inconvenient places and leave them there for the entire match, regardless of what you do. IIRC, everyone else with a trap has to reset it from time to time.

• WeaverReaver42
    WeaverReaver42 Member Posts: 210
    Options

why would people deactivate a SM drone, didn't they change it so you don't get detected while not moving/doing gens?

• BritneyMitch
    BritneyMitch Member Posts: 138
    Options

Theres def worse to play against. I dont DC vs her anymore and will play the game out now, but the survivor player base will never get behind a killer that gets guarenteed hits imo. Thats the reason that trickster is hated so much, theres virtually no skill expression from the survivor side you just run zig zags/try to break line of sight until eventually you die. Theres never like a feeling like oh all these hours I put into dbd are paying off because this killer couldnt catch me and I am better than him. The problem isnt because hes too strong, its because there isnt an enjoyable thing to do in chase vs him as hes just going to spam you with knives till you die. Unless you are caught out with main event, its not going to be fast, but he will always eventually kill you. No matter how much better you are than him in chase. This is less egregious with skull merchant as there is perhaps more counter play, but the gameplay loop is quite lack luster. Go to pallet, predrop because shes immediately going to put up a turret run to next pallet because theres a turret up and you can't stay or you will get hindered.

• MikhailVictor
    MikhailVictor Member Posts: 344
    edited April 21
    Options

Sometimes you don't see the drones rotate in stealth mode, sometimes drones scan you outside of their radius, sometimes their actual scan lines lag behind the visual scan lines so even if you crouch at a perfect time, you still get scanned.

You can still place 3 drones on basement stairs.

She as a stealth killer has almost inaudible footstep sounds (compare to michael's breathing, ghostface's clothing sound, pig's unsheathing/roar etc etc).

Oh, and haste + hindered so you can't reliably tell whether you're gonna make another loop or not because she might randomly get 3% faster LMFAO.

This all hasn't been fixed since when they reworked her. I don't think I've ever lost a match playing skull merchant by pressing m2 at every loop even if opponents knew how to play against her. It got so boring I've stopped playing her because it's too easy. So yeah, the community hate is completely justified.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,041
    Options

Saying these things haven't been fixed kind of implies that they're all problems, which I'm sure you'll agree not everything you listed is.

Like, you not seeing the drone rotate can't be considered a problem with her kit, that's just a player missing a cue and making a mistake. You could have seen the drone rotate, which is part of her design and counterplay, so what exactly is there to fix here?

Similarly, when you talk about her stealth not having any audio cues, it's kind of misleading to not talk about what her stealth is actually balanced with, right? It's not that she's just lacking a downside to her stealth, it's that the downside isn't an audio cue, it's a timer. We could even have a conversation about whether or not the end result is properly balanced, but without acknowledging the fact that they're using a different method to get there, we're never gonna reach any constructive conversation.

For the record, I do agree drone overlap is a problem, for more scenarios than just basement stairs, I'd like to see that adjusted. Similarly, I think her Haste should have more of a visual tell for when a teammate trips a drone mid-chase so you have more information to work with when gauging whether you'll make a resource or not. I agree with those two things being problems, though obviously they're hardly huge ones making her a miserable killer to face, they're just annoyances that should be adjusted.

As an aside, if we're going to conclude that community hate is justified based on her being able to just press M2 at every loop, we must also conclude that Knight and Artist should be hated to at least the same degree, if not moreso because they're better at it than she is.

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

I'm not sure why this thread got revived but SM is still just as boring to play against. And this is because her kit is fundamentally unfun.

1 - she is an area control/zoning killer. Sorry, most agree this is the least fun type of killer to play against. At a loop, she places a drone, you shift W to the next one, if you stay you are getting injured and slowed for free. Like knight but less effective.

2 - random haste. Skull merchant is constantly getting haste effects from random drone tags, addons, etc. It is very difficult to track her speed internally, so the best play is to treat her like she has bloodlust and predrop pallets. Boring to play and to play against. If you try and loop thinking she is 115%, you will inevitably get hit because of random haste out of your control.

3 - drone disabling. There is still almost zero reason to ever disable drones. They do not stay disabled long, and she can pick them up instantly and just replace them. Disabling a drone for someone else mid-chase is not fast enough to have viable counterplay to the zoning playstyle like Knight (where you can take aggro from the guard while Knight is chasing a teammate).

4 - drone stacking. You can stack tons of drones in an area and there is basically no reason to ever go there. Disabling them is futile, see 3, and you can spam them in places like basement stairs (see another commenter) or in the middle of the map to force survivors to basically take a free hit if they want to access half of the map in chase. She has so many and can replace them so fast that she can make any area one that you go in and you die.

5 - drone beam swap. In case you thought there was any counterplay to placing a drone in a tile mid chase, she can just swap the beams while chasing you to remove all counterplay. You can't skillfully loop in the same direction to avoid them, you can't time crouches or stop moving, nothing. You're getting triple scanned or leaving.

Overall the playstyle against SM is very boring. In chase, you shift+W to a place without drones, where she either chases as a normal M1 killer or places a drone and you have to shift+W again. There is little to no reason to interact with drones, doing anything other than predrop is unreliable, and because she can remove and replace drones so fast she can constantly be undetectable which means on indoor maps you hold checkspots until someone is in chase and you have a good idea of where she is.

• jesterkind
    Options

I specified "at least as much, if not moreso".

No killer is hated as much as Skull Merchant, and the killers who have her flaws but worse are included in that.

• MikhailVictor
    MikhailVictor Member Posts: 344
    edited April 21
    Options

Like, you not seeing the drone rotate can't be considered a problem with
    her kit, that's just a player missing a cue and making a mistake.

I'm not talking about not NOTICING the drone rotate. I'm talking about the drone model actually not rotating which is a bug.

As an aside, if we're going to conclude that community hate is justified
    based on her being able to just press M2 at every loop, we must also
    conclude that Knight and Artist should be hated to at least the same degree, if not moreso because they're better at it than she is.

Knight and Artist are relatively hated (esp. Knight) though at least you could try doing cool stuff with them (long-range patrols, long-distance crow snipes, etc).

• jesterkind
    Options

Oh, gotcha. I mean, I'd argue that bugs shouldn't be lumped in with design criticisms, but I getcha. I can't say I've noticed that bug or the "scan outside the actual range" bug you mentioned, but if they're there, 100%, they should be fixed.

And as I said above, I specified hated as much or moreso, which they are not. For the record, Skull Merchant can also obviously go for cool stuff if the player chooses to.