We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

A rework for Freddy

Options
SoGo
SoGo Member Posts: 287

Hello, Freddy mains!
This is my attempt to buff Freddy to make him more fun, powerful and interesting. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, so feel free to comment.

• Freddy is invisible to everyone who's awake, and his terror radius is replaced by his lullaby for the awake survivors.
• When coming close to a Survivor, he can pull them into the Dream World. They can intermittedly see him during this process.

When in the Dream World:
• Survivors suffer from a 25% action speed penalty.
• Can see Freddy.
• Can hear Freddy's terror radius.
• Can see and be affected by Dream Traps.
• Can see the Dream Projection happening.

Freddy's abilities:
• Dream projection
• Dream Snares
• Dream Props - this includes Dream Pallets, Totems, Chests and Breakable doors.
These act all in a similar way, they can be put in spots where they could spawn naturally, and interacting with them makes them dissolve into blood and alert Freddy, with the exception of Breakable doors, which Freddy can walk through, making them dissolve and survivors can't walk through.
• He can create up to 25 Snares/Props

Ways to wake up:
• Getting woken up by an awake survivor.
• Waking up with the help of an Alarm Clock
• Failing a Skill Check
(Not by getting hooked anymore)

Comments

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,249
    Options

Stronger for sure, and maybe more interesting to play, however I don't think he is gonna be more fun to play against or have a better skill expression.

Also I think you did not explicitly mention that you cannot get hit by Freddy when not in dream world... Which I assume is the case?

• SoGo
    Options

Yes, that is true.

I tried returning back his original power where he couldn't interacti with awake survivors aside from making them go to sleep.

Also, he would be able to interact with objects normally

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 702
    Options

I’d make the action speed penalty 40%

• SoGo
    edited April 19
    Options

I halved the original action speed penalty to conpensate for the new additions that happened since then.

To not make it too oppressive.

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    Options

I doubt it’ll be oppressive with how survivors might just avoid the penalty by failing skill checks

• SoGo
    edited April 19
    Options

Good point. 40% might be better, but also it can make Forever Freddy come back and no one wants that, I think. 30% could be a good middle ground.

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    Options

regarding that I was planning awhile back of making a post asking if forever Freddy can make a comeback with the current anti gen mechanic or if they could try to make a test around it

I personally wonder how it would go now in comparison to back then with how there aren’t anymore infinite kicks on gens and half of the perks that used to help with this playstyle are also pretty dead

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 299
    Options

OG Freddy was the worst thing to happen to DBD lol

Why do you want to bring that back? The only thing good about OG Freddy was the Dream Pull ability. Slap that into current Freddy's kit with a few additions to his power; make his Projection usable on every generator regardless of whether it's completed, blocked or still in need of repairs. Make Red Paint Brush base kit. Make Projection take less time to recharge. And then that's a Freddy that is actually worth playing as.

• SoGo
    Options

So you want to nerf him even more?

So the change you want:

• Better teleport

• Slightly harder exiting out of the Dream

• Has to pull you in before he attacks.

With most of his traps being very meh, you would just make him worse imo.

• Archol123
    Options

I guess he means pulling in dream as well as hitting to enter dream so you don't have to hit them before they can be affected by your power...

• Archol123
    Options

I don't know if he is worth playing then, I would be more in favor of a rework, because despite being slightly better than he would still be quite boring to play as and against.

• _Onyx_
    Options

No, that isn't my idea for the change lol you're just reading what you want to see lol

My change to Freddy is he is exactly as he is now. But you add everything I mentioned in my previous comment.

Dream Pull would be used as an alternate power to Dream Snare. Imagine how Clown Bottles work where you manually switch to them to use the one you want to.

I would also make his Snares add 1% more Hindered per Snare triggered

• SoGo
    Options

So faster Projection, Red Paint Brush basekit and switching between snares and pulling in?

The first two, no problem. But the switching between powers... I dunno. Clown's switching is annoying to do so if it gets put in like that… It would be clunky.

• _Onyx_
    Options

Plus being able to project to any generator.

Well, I've said for ages that Clown should have a short animation when swapping between bottle types. That's what Freddy should have too. Up or Down on the d-pad for console users to swap between Snares and Pull.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,082
    Options

I would love to hear what @GeneralV thinks about this.

Personally, I don't like the idea of his dream snares (they're just a boring knock-off of Clown's purple bottles with less utility and more weaknesses), so I hope they'll give him something else. He definitely needs something to help him out in chase but dream snares are incredibly boring and pretty unispired.

The rest of this sounds very nice. I like the idea of Dream Props very much but I think 25 is a tad much. Maybe go with 15 and see how that goes first. Also, for some reason I would really like them to add special dream hooks, that don't exist for survivors outside of the dream world (survivors could enter the dream world manually to save their team mate however).

• Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 137
    Options

they cried about this and made him the worst killer in the game

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,207
    Options

Thanks for mentioning me, friend!

It is definitely not a bad idea, and I like how close to Freddy's original design it is! Though having something for chases can be a bit concerning, because his kit already has a lot.

• Toxicboii
    Toxicboii Member Posts: 442
    Options

The idea of returning Freddy to how he used to be in addition to keeping his trap-based kit is quite interesting!

It gives him back his identity as a Dream Demon, pulling Survivors into sleep so he may reliably interact with them, most notably, killing.

How long would it require for a Survivor to be put to sleep?

• SoGo
    Options

Probably 7 seconds again, but it would be nice if he had few addons to shorten that

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,471
    Options

a lot of people enjoyed OG freddy because he was like scratch mirror myer's that you could play on any map. He was fun to play but not powerful. that was his main issue. The rework made him stronger but he lost fun and dimensions to his gameplay. After that, he got nerfed and he hasn't recovered since.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

I miss old Freddy so much and this idea seems pretty interesting. I like the idea of combining both his old and current forms together so that everyone is happy!

I posted an idea here a while ago that tried to combine his old and new powers together as well but not as much as you have.

This was my old idea:

Replaces Dream Projection with Dream Cloak

Press the Secondary Power button to activate Dream Cloak for 15 seconds.

While cloaked Freddy gains the following benefits:

1 - Freddy is completely invisible to all survivors when further than 16 metres

2 - Sleeping survivors do not hear the lullaby

3 - The aura of all sleeping survivors are revealed to Freddy 

4 - While looking at a generator, press and hold the secondary ability button to perform Dream Projection (functions like it does now)

5 - Upon completing Dream Projection, all awake survivors within 16 metres of the generator are pulled into the Dream World

After 15 seconds or after performing a basic attack or Dream Projection, Dream Cloak ends (the length can be modified with add ons)

Dream Cloak’s cool-down is the same as Dream Projection is currently and functions the same way with it being reduced the more survivors are asleep.

Honestly I don't care how they go about it, I just want some form of the old Freddy back!

• SoGo
    Options

That is a creative idea. I would gladly throw snares out for exchange for this.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

He honestly could still keep his Snares or Pallets with this change and I don't think it would be that big of an issue.

• _Onyx_
    Options

The only thing I found fun about old Freddy was the Dream Pull. Being able to constantly locate people and get them asleep. Like I said, if they give that aspect back to Freddy as he is now, along with a few more buffs, he'd be in a really good spot

• vito180
    vito180 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Like Freddy Main, I want this to happen, but again, the feeling is that developers don't care about it, unfortunately. I think it's unlikely that we'll get something like this on Freddy, so it's very sad.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,034
    edited April 22
    Options

I always hated the idea of this mechanic. It's RNG dependent, very heavily swings the power's effectiveness based on the survivor perks in play and actually rewards players for missing a skillcheck. I've legit missed skillchecks against Freddy and gone "Oh yeah… that wakes me up".

The counter to Freddy back in the day was to use Self-Care to heal after throwing pallets or taking a hit at gens and spam SCs trying to miss one instantly and wake up. This was made possible by the fact Self Care was meta back then and extremely common, and the difference between bullying Freddy and getting smashed by Freddy was knowledge of this weakness (he was as basic an m1 killer as can be otherwise).

Now Self Care and healing in general is much harder to pull off, Old Freddy would be inherently stronger… Old Freddy is far more interesting a concept, but I feel the gameplay elements of flat gen speed slow down and the constant hopping in and out of the dream via skillchecks should be diminished somewhat, and some of his more active elements should stay/be added to.

I feel some blend between old Freddy and new is a better way to go. I'd rather like the OPs version if skillcheck wake up was removed entirely, and some other wake up mechanic was used. The clocks are functionally OK, but thematically very poor. I'd prefer something like burning your hand on a hot plate, or injecting yourself with an adrenaline vial at dream crossoever points or something, then keep the hooks wake you up in place of skillchecks.

• SoGo
    Options

Yea, the problem with Freddy is that his power can be denied completely when working on a gen or healing.

The reason I wanted too remove waking up via hooking, is because it feels unfitting both thematic wise and gameplay wise. I didn't want to get rid of skill check waking up because I felt it would be too much.

• ChainsLogic
    ChainsLogic Member Posts: 34
    Options

Freddy's rework is more underbaked than truly bad imo.

Basekit changes:

• 8 dream tokens with swapable dream snares and dream pallets
    • 30 second teleport cooldown (was 45 seconds)
    • Each asleep survivor lowers the teleport cooldown by 3 seconds (all 4 survivors asleep would decrease your teleport cooldown down to 18 seconds)
    • Survivors fall asleep passively after 50 seconds (was 60 seconds)
    • You can teleport to finished gens as well (their aura would be white to distinguish them from incomplete generators)