Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Camping / Getting Tunneled Off The Hook PSA

If you've been playing DBD for more than 1 hour this has probably happened to you, there's a delicate balance between the time it takes to die on hook and the time it takes to complete generators. At low rank people camp because they can, survivors are no threat to the generators and the killer has the time to hang around the hook, at high rank camping is no longer viable simply because the other survivors will finish the gens and escape.

Tunneling Explained: While it's easy to get salty over the killer tunneling you it has to be understood objectively, as long as 4 survivors are in play the survivors are favored to win, as soon as someone is removed from play the killer is favored to win (still winnable) but when 2 people are removed and there's only 2 survivors left 1 is almost certainly going to die (unless there's 1 gen left/gates are already powered).

Nobody likes getting tunneled (obviously), but the problem is that it's strategically beneficial for the killer to turn the game into a 1v3 as soon as possible (if they want to win). Made up survivor rules and post game messages such as "why you tunneling B*TCH" doesn't change the fact that the killer's best chance of winning is in fact to remove someone from the game as early as possible. Everyone knows when a survivor DC"S right away the other survivors are having a rough game there's no denying the 1v3 advantage.

So, what can be done about this? Well at high rank doing gens quickly discourages camping but what about low rank and middle rank? My suggestion is that when getting rescued from your "first hook" you automatically have a 10 second borrowed time effect that the perk "borrowed time" would add to if the rescuer is running it. Camping a "first hook" at high rank is choosing to lose the game so that doesn't change but for the rest of the player base this would give killers a reason to not camp/hard tunnel and would decrease the amount of toxicity in the game.

Comments

• SpongeBob420Pants
    SpongeBob420Pants Member Posts: 118
    edited January 2019

TLDR: A "first hook" rescue should automatically have a 10 second borrowed time effect (that would stack with the perk) to discourage camping/tunneling and reduce toxicity in the game.

*EDIT: I've also suggested in a comment further down a benefit to killer- "It would be cool if killers got double sacrifice blood points for hooking a different survivor from the one they hooked last."

Post edited by SpongeBob420Pants on
  • BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

@SpongeBob420Pants said:
    TLDR: A "first hook" rescue should automatically have a 10 second borrowed time effect (that would stack with the perk) to discourage camping/tunneling and reduce toxicity in the game.

The killer will chase you for the 10 seconds. The way I see it this does nothing.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

@BigBadPiggy said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

The killer will chase you for the 10 seconds. The way I see it this does nothing.

remembers the old borrowed time effect, but not the new one

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861

I think this is fair, but it shouldn’t apply once the exit gates are open.
  • NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

That wouldn't really change anything. If the killer wants to tunnel, he will still tunnel.

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832

how about no?

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@RoKrueger said:
    I have a better idea: Don't get caught

You're amazing. Salty killer main has come out of nowhere.

I don't mean to say that ALL killer mains are salty or entitled nor are all survivor mains, from a neutral standpoint, anyone who gives that answer as killer is 100% salty from something. If a survivor says 'git gud' to a killer who makes a complaining post, they're also salty.

• Dokta_Carter
    Dokta_Carter Member Posts: 614

Let's say... They do this.
    It wont change a thing.
    Not being biased but dude, just giving a buff to the survivors wont stop it. Give a reward to the killer not doing it and still there will be thosewhom camp, and tunnel on purpose. 
  • Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693
    I think that the first survivor hooked should get 10000 BP and fly outside the exit gates. 
  • JanTheMan
    JanTheMan Member Posts: 495
    Your name LMAO
  • RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Poweas said:

@RoKrueger said:

I don't mean to say that ALL killer mains are salty or entitled nor are all survivor mains, from a neutral standpoint, anyone who gives that answer as killer is 100% salty from something. If a survivor says 'git gud' to a killer who makes a complaining post, they're also salty.

Still, the strategy is solid: Don't get caught. It works better than cry in a corner or in a forum
  • SpongeBob420Pants

@yeet said:

@Poweas said:

@RoKrueger said:

he's literally asking for a free borrowed time because he's not good enough at the game, this is a nonsense request and it deserves nonsense responses

I don't know if you're referring to me but I've gotten rank 1 on survivor and killer and I get to red rank on survivor and killer every month, I also never play SWF.

• Raccoon
    edited January 2019

@yeet said:

@Poweas said:

@RoKrueger said:

he's literally asking for a free borrowed time because he's not good enough at the game, this is a nonsense request and it deserves nonsense responses

I don't know if you're referring to me but I've gotten rank 1 on survivor and killer and I get to red rank on survivor and killer every month, I also never play SWF.

Every one of those points is irrelevant with regards to both your skill level and your request. 
  • Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@RoKrueger said:
    Poweas said:

@RoKrueger said:

Still, the strategy is solid: Don't get caught. It works better than cry in a corner or in a forum

Meh. I'll give you that I guess.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Why should you be rewarded for failure, and why should the Killer be punished for success?

• SpongeBob420Pants

@BigBadPiggy said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Raccoon said:
    I think that the first survivor hooked should get 10000 BP and fly outside the exit gates. 

This is interesting, some people comment that it wouldn't even matter and other people comment that it's an OP joke, it can hardly be both. I think 10 seconds is enough to get to a vault, the point is simply to "discourage" camping, I agree with:

@Speshul_Kitten said:
    I think this is fair, but it shouldn’t apply once the exit gates are open.

This shouldn't apply after the exit gates are powered.

• Raccoon
    If you're begging for freebies,  may as well go nuts. 
  • DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    edited January 2019
    Sounds about as fair as 50 Freddy nerfs.

In other words... Nah m8.
  • SpongeBob420Pants

@Orion said:
    Why should you be rewarded for failure, and why should the Killer be punished for success?

So by "your failure" you mean your teammate preforming an unsafe hook rescue and by "killers success" you mean standing in front of a hooked survivor?

The killer will tunnel because objectively they should, it's the best way to win, I think dying from 1 hook sucks and causes a lot of toxicity which furthers the divide in the community.

• Orion
    edited January 2019

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

So by "your failure" you mean your teammate preforming an unsafe hook rescue and by "killers success" you mean standing in front of a hooked survivor?

The killer will tunnel because objectively they should, it's the best way to win, I think dying from 1 hook sucks and causes a lot of toxicity which furthers the divide in the community.

By "your failure" I mean the fact that you were hooked (lost at stealth and lost the chase), and by "success" I mean the fact that he hooked you (won at stealth and won the chase).

Your logic here is that Killers should be punished because of toxic Survivors. How is that even remotely fair?

• SpongeBob420Pants

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

By "your failure" I mean the fact that you were hooked, and by "success" I mean the fact that he hooked you.

Your logic here is that Killers should be punished because of toxic Survivors. How is that even remotely fair?

My point is that the killer playing in the objectively best way (trying to win) causes survivors to have a negative experience and causes toxicity, if you get caught 2 times consider yourself dead (anyone can bring a mori), but dying from 1 hook because a survivor preformed an unsafe hook rescue and killer decides to camp your second phase isn't fun and unless you only play SWF this will happen.

It would be cool if killers got double sacrifice blood points for hooking a different survivor from the one they hooked last.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@yeet said:
    how about no?

What a privilege it is to read such a well written comment, giving a yes or no answer without explaining your position or what you agree/disagree with about the OP. Good thing we have such a talented wordsmith on the DBD forums providing insightful opinions as well as thoroughly conveying a point of view based on objective reasoning. Thanks for commenting, I don't know what we'd do without you.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@NoShinyPony said:
    That wouldn't really change anything. If the killer wants to tunnel, he will still tunnel.

It would definitely discourage camping a first hook and would make receiving an unsafe hook rescue (something you have no control over) not a death sentence.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

I would run Kindred if this was happening to me a lot. It helps your team understand if someone else is going for the save and helps them see if the killer is camping. If the 3 others see someone else going for the save or being chased then you get unhooked. If they see the killer camping they hopefully will stay on gens. Sucks and happens to us all but it is part of the game.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@ColonGlock said:
    I would run Kindred if this was happening to me a lot. It helps your team understand if someone else is going for the save and helps them see if the killer is camping. If the 3 others see someone else going for the save or being chased then you get unhooked. If they see the killer camping they hopefully will stay on gens. Sucks and happens to us all but it is part of the game.

It seems you missed the comment I made stating that I get rank 1 on killer and survivor and play at red rank on both every month, it also seems you didn't even read my OP stating that killers tunnel because it is in fact the best way to win, running kindred is hardly a suggestion and doesn't change the dynamic of the game nor help with the negative experience of survivors which furthers toxicity in the community.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@ColonGlock said:

Also, how dare you say "Sucks and happens to us all but it is part of the game" the only reason to post on the forum is to make the game better, if you willingly accept bad gameplay mechanics you have nothing to contribute to the discussion.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

So you want to create a mechanic giving survivors a free borrowed time, thus punishing killers who do not camp, and also punishes killers who have are dealing with overly altruistic survivors (you know, unhook farmers), just because there are some killers who do camp (which is completely within the rules).

• SpongeBob420Pants

@lasombra1979 said:
    So you want to create a mechanic giving survivors a free borrowed time, thus punishing killers who do not camp, and also punishes killers who have are dealing with overly altruistic survivors (you know, unhook farmers), just because there are some killers who do camp (which is completely within the rules).

This literally can't punish killers that don't camp and would only apply to the first hook and wouldn't apply after the exit gate is powered, I previously gave the example of getting hooked once, receiving an unsafe hook rescue (which is out of your control), being rehooked and camped till dead, how is that fair? They could make it so having the borrowed time effect activate still counts as an unsafe hook rescue unless the rescuer runs the perk "borrowed time").

• Orion

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@lasombra1979 said:

This literally can't punish killers that don't camp and would only apply to the first hook and wouldn't apply after the exit gate is powered, I previously gave the example of getting hooked once, receiving an unsafe hook rescue (which is out of your control), being rehooked and camped till dead, how is that fair? They could make it so having the borrowed time effect activate still counts as an unsafe hook rescue unless the rescuer runs the perk "borrowed time").

You're literally complaining about people who unhook in the Killer's face, so this would definitely affect those who don't camp. Hook vultures don't wait until the Killer has left the area.
    If you're going to lie about your intentions, at least be consistent.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@lasombra1979 said:

You're literally complaining about people who unhook in the Killer's face, so this would definitely affect those who don't camp. Hook vultures don't wait until the Killer has left the area.

First of all f*ck you for calling me a liar, second of all this would punish the person preforming the unsafe hook rescue instead of the person getting an unsafe hook rescue.

• NoShinyPony

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

That would be a nerf to killers. Which buff would you offer to make up for this?

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725
    edited January 2019

[sarcasm]
    Calm down everyone, I have the perfect solution. Survivors get a free Borrowed Time effect for 10 seconds and killers get a free Make Your Choice effect for 10 seconds without the distance requirement. Not only does that balance out the survivor buff, it doubles down on the encouragement not to tunnel and go after a different survivor. Everybody's happy.
    [/sarcasm]

• SpongeBob420Pants

@NoShinyPony said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

That would be a nerf to killers. Which buff would you offer to make up for this?

AMAZING! You just quoted half a quote and asked for the other half, in the exact same quote that you failed at quoting I stated a double bloodpoint bonus for killers hooking a different survivor from the one they hooked last "would be cool".

• lasombra1979

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@lasombra1979 said:

First of all f*ck you for calling me a liar, second of all this would punish the person preforming the unsafe hook rescue instead of the person getting an unsafe hook rescue.

You have changed who this is supposed to punish, who it is supposed to help, why you want this change about 5 times in this thread. It is a bit difficult to know who you want to punish. Perhaps you should step back and re organize your thoughts on this suggestion.

It is extremely easy to see who would get punished without doing anything wrong with your suggestions.

• NoShinyPony

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@NoShinyPony said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

AMAZING! You just quoted half a quote and asked for the other half, in the exact same quote that you failed at quoting I stated a double bloodpoint bonus for killers hooking a different survivor from the one they hooked last "would be cool".

AMAZING how arrogant and rude you can be without any reason at all! Bloodpoints are not a buff gameplay-wise. If the killer gets more bloodpoints that doesn't help him at all with winning a game!

So, once more: What buff are you offering to make up for such a kind of nerf?

• SpongeBob420Pants

@lasombra1979 said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@lasombra1979 said:

You have changed who this is supposed to punish, who it is supposed to help, why you want this change about 5 times in this thread. It is a bit difficult to know who you want to punish. Perhaps you should step back and re organize your thoughts on this suggestion.

It is extremely easy to see who would get punished without doing anything wrong with your suggestions.

The goal of this thread has never changed, it's to make dying on your first hook less likely.

*EDIT: Typo

• Orion

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@lasombra1979 said:

If you're not lying, then you need to get your thoughts straight, because right now they're all over the place.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@NoShinyPony said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@NoShinyPony said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

AMAZING how arrogant and rude you can be without any reason at all! Bloodpoints are not a buff gameplay-wise. If the killer gets more bloodpoints that doesn't help him at all with winning a game!

Well, someone just gave one:

@Dehitay said:
    [sarcasm]
    Calm down everyone, I have the perfect solution. Survivors get a free Borrowed Time effect for 10 seconds and killers get a free Make Your Choice effect for 10 seconds without the distance requirement. Not only does that balance out the survivor buff, it doubles down on the encouragement not to tunnel and go after a different survivor. Everybody's happy.
    [/sarcasm]

Maybe a 5 second make your choice would be better but that's an idea.

• NoShinyPony

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@NoShinyPony said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@NoShinyPony said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

Well, someone just gave one:

@Dehitay said:
    [sarcasm]
    [/sarcasm]

Maybe a 5 second make your choice would be better but that's an idea.

Did you notice the word "sarcasm"? It's there for a reason.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@lasombra1979 said:

If you're not lying, then you need to get your thoughts straight, because right now they're all over the place.

Nope, my argument at it's core is simply that dying on your first hook sucks and there should be a mechanic in place to make it less likely.

• Dehitay
    edited January 2019

@NoShinyPony said:

To be fair, the original post would have been better with sarcasm markers too.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@Dehitay said:

@NoShinyPony said:

To be fair, the original post would have been better with sarcasm markers too.

Ya? Which part of the OP do you disagree with?

• Orion

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@Orion said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

@lasombra1979 said:

Nope, my argument at it's core is simply that dying on your first hook sucks and there should be a mechanic in place to make it less likely.

There is, it's called "hook rescues", but they're not up to you because if you made it to the hook, you have failed. You, however, have suggested that the Killer should be actively punished for being able to hook you, and that you should be actively rewarded for being hooked.

• Dehitay
    edited January 2019

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

It's a free buff for the side that already has the advantage in the game when both sides are equally skilled and trying equally hard? If you think getting tunneled is annoying, play Leatherface and deal with the fun of a dozen loops in a row. You can't hard nerf one side without nerfing the other.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@Dehitay said:

@SpongeBob420Pants said:

It's a free buff for the side that already has the advantage in the game when both sides are equally skilled and trying equally hard? If you think getting tunneled is annoying, play Leatherface and deal with the fun of a dozen loops in a row. You can't hard nerf one side without nerfing the other.

Once again I play both killer and survivor, I do well with both killer and survivor, I would be happy to have killers get buffed in anyway that seems fair, the point of this post simply put is dying on your first hook sucks and without a mechanic to discourage camping/tunneling the killer will tunnel because it's the best way to win.

• lasombra1979

I think your intentions are correct, finding a way to prevent first hook death. The thing is, it is a part of the game and honestly, it is not broken. Yes it sucks, but that does not mean it is broken. You have short games, it happens. Some games you will get hooked three times, some two, some just once. Some games you will get moried. It is the nature of the game.

Giving a survivor a free perk is a punishment to all killers, not just your campers/tunnelers. This mechanic would be so greatly abused, would give tons of unsafe hooks that turn into safe hooks because of the free burrowed time. Then add to it Deliverance, where survivors can unhook themselves if they get a safe unhook. You would have created a new meta.

You are putting killers even more behind the eight ball.

• SpongeBob420Pants

@lasombra1979 said:
    I think your intentions are correct, finding a way to prevent first hook death. The thing is, it is a part of the game and honestly, it is not broken. Yes it sucks, but that does not mean it is broken. You have short games, it happens. Some games you will get hooked three times, some two, some just once. Some games you will get moried. It is the nature of the game.

Giving a survivor a free perk is a punishment to all killers, not just your campers/tunnelers. This mechanic would be so greatly abused, would give tons of unsafe hooks that turn into safe hooks because of the free burrowed time. Then add to it Deliverance, where survivors can unhook themselves if they get a safe unhook. You would have created a new meta.

You just proved that you comment without reading, I stated earlier that activating the borrowed time effect on someones first hook should count as an unsafe hook rescue (unless the rescuer is running the perk "borrowed time").

• SpongeBob420Pants

@lasombra1979 said:

They could also make it so it doesn't count if you Kobe/Deliverance.