Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Issues with UE5

Tupper2K
Tupper2K Member Posts: 10
edited June 18 in Ask the Community

Since the upgrade to UE5 I have been experiencing massive frame drops/stuttering/crashes/etc.

My PC specs are as follows:

i7 12700KF
32GB DDR4
RTX 4070 12GB
2TB Samsung 970 EVO

I play the game on low settings, as that's what I've always used. AA turned off. All nVIDA setting are default and I have no launch options set in Steam. Connected to gigabit internet via ethernet.

I've only started having these issues after the UE5 update. As a reference point, I used to run the game on a laptop with a 9th gen i7 mobile chip and a mobile 4GB GTX 1650. I could still average 120 fps on the laptop and was using it when the game was still on UE4.

I've updated my drivers several times since the switch to UE5, but it doesn't seem to solve anything.

Temps on the hardware are fine.

As well as the previously mentioned issues, the GeForce Experience overlay and instant replay features are bugged. Sometimes they work, sometimes they disappear and turn off all together, sometimes I'll hit Alt+Z and the overlay will freeze. Again, this was never an issue on UE4.

I'd like to believe it's on nVIDIA's end, but every other game I've played, including Elden Ring and Cyberpunk, have not experienced these issues.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Answers

• vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 226

Same here buddy.

I used to have 120fps easily, could play on 240fps when it still was a thing. (ryzen 9 5900x, gtx 1070 12GB, 32GB 3200MHz RAM, 5000x7000MB/s samsung 990 pro nvme)

Same specs from years now and UE5 made me play 1366x768 with fps drops to 90 on low graphics depending on a map/killer effect (plague or nemesis layout while infected). It's bad and something went wrong with migration from UE4 to UE5.

• yourbabyglo
    yourbabyglo Member Posts: 11

I’m having the exact issue. On pc through epic, I’ve updated my drivers, graphics & everything in between. Searched for hours on end through different forums & still the “fixes” others found have not helped majority of us. I’m getting kicked from games and met with these two error codes: “873” & “1274”. I tried everything, uninstalling & re-installing, verifying files to see if any were corrupted, restarted my router, hard connected my Ethernet cable into PC, followed ITs “solutions”… the whole 9. And still the devs haven’t fixed this issue, been having these errors since April.

• mrbuttonz
    mrbuttonz Member Posts: 3

The same has been happening to me since the UE5 update. Nothing I do works. I have tried every suggestion I can find, and it is not my PC because everything else works just fine. This conveniently all started with the UE5 update. I have done the following:

• Added -DX11 to startup.
    • Updated NVIDIA drivers. I've also alternated between Game Ready and Studio drivers, since the latter is sometimes more stable all around.
    • Rolled back NVIDIA drivers to a pre-UE5 version.
    • Reset PC. When I did this, I immediately installed DBD before anything else to rule out some other app interference. It still crashes.
    • Flashed BIOS to latest version released 6/20/2024 and turned off Intel Turbo Boost. The game at least didn't crash at the startup screen anymore, but still crashes mid game.
    • Turned off Anti-Virus (BitDefender). Windows Defender is disabled.
    • Lowered CPU performance as suggested by other stuff I found on the net.

Specs:

• Processor: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF
    • Installed Memory: 32 GB
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, RAM 4 GB, Driver Date 6/1/2024
    • Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI (MS-7E06)
    • BIOS: American Megatrends International, Version A.D3, Release Date 6/20/2024
    • Winders Version: 11 Pro, 10.0.22631

• sausage11
    sausage11 Member Posts: 127

Same. Noticed quite some fps drops since yesterday. I play on 120 fps capped and now the fps randomly drop to 70-80 at least once per match. Never had this happen before and its weird that it only started happening since yesterday. Didnt change any settings or anything else.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,502

It is not your hardware it is the game.

I noticed that the game seems to need a very broad internet connection. I play on Ultra with a much weaker PC but i use FSR and lowered the resolution a bit with about 60+ fps.

My stutters mostly occur when more action is happening - totem/event effects - hooks - killer effects and so on.

At these points more data is sent/received which seems to be my problem. I have a very stable 14 mbit. Ok for all but maybe to low for DbD.