Suggestions for tweaking masquerade event abilities

So as this year's anniversary event is coming to a close, and with there being a decent amount of dissatisfaction out there by at least a portion of the community, I wanted to break down what I think is good and bad about the invitation abilities and Bag of Tryks events:

SURVIVOR - BLOCK VAULT

Totally fine as an ability, I don't think the duration is too long and it's really only situationally useful which is fine.

SURVIVOR - PARTY PALLET

Best invitation ability in the event. I want party pallets every year. They can create some goofy loops but they aren't so strong that killers can't play around them.

SURVIVOR - QUIET MODE

Decent new addition to the list, I actually found it more useful than I thought it would be initially. I'm glad it doesn't remove scratch marks or hide auras, otherwise it definitely would be too strong. Overall I think it's good to keep as is moving forward.

KILLER - ENDURE STUN

Fine ability, just kinda boring from the killer perspective. I don't like having another resource I have to keep track of and keep in mind, but otherwise I think it's good enough for a killer to use, but not too powerful that it feels unfair as survivor. The problem is, it's easily the worst of the killer invitations, which leads me to…

KILLER - REMOTE DESTROY

Remove it, remove it, remove it. This is the most unfun thing to play against as survivor, and requires no thought at all from the killer. It's basically a free hit for the killer and does not feel good in any scenario. If you want to keep it in the form of breaking walls that'd be more ok, but there really aren't enough breakable walls to justify having a whole event ability around. Personally, I think a lot of the dissatisfaction from the event comes from this ability (even if people are blaming the new thing).

KILLER - REMOTE HOOK

I'm seeing a lot of finger pointing towards this ability as the reason the event is not very fun, but personally I think that this ability would be fine with some tweaks. There is still counterplay in the sense that you can flashlight save and pallet stun during the pickup (when it doesn't bug out), but there are a few scenarios I think that this is too strong of an ability. I think that instead of hooking at the closest possible hook, it should act more like a Pyramid Head cage and hook far away. That way, killers can't "choose" what hook (i.e. scourges) a survivor goes on. I also think that it should prevent (or at least highly limit) hooking on different elevations. Being able to send a survivor to basement or on top of a hill without actually walking all the way over is a bit too much.

BAG OF TRYKS

Overall, I really like the new mechanic of the gamewide modifiers, and I don't think any of them are particularly bad, just underwhelming sometimes. I would say that overall it feels like the modifiers lean towards benefiting killer over survivor, but none of them are so massive that they feel too bad. I'll point out the ones that maybe need some general modification:

ZILCH

This is just boring, I would personally prefer if every modifier actually did something.

PARTY CHEST

Fine from the survivor side, but maybe find a way to make it more interactive from the killer. I don't really have any ideas of what that would be, but this is one of the least interesting ones to come up when playing killer.

NO INVITE FOR YOU

Another that's just kinda boring. The recharge time on the invites isn't so long that this feels like a negative outside of a few scenarios, so this is almost like a nothing modifier. At least with the +1 invitation you're getting one to do some fun stuff with.

MOVE IT OR LOSE IT

My main issue is that it doesn't affect all things equally, such as Victor not benefiting from it at all. But this is still the goofiest of the modifiers, and I'm all for goofy. More goofy stuff please.

Overall I enjoy playing the event, even as a survivor, but I do think that the way it's implemented right now with all the new additions make it lean much more in favor of killer, which can be frustrating for those who primarily play survivor. Honestly if everything stayed the same except for the removal of remote break, I'd be so happy for the next masquerade. I'm curious about other people's ideas on ways to modify what's already there to make it a more enjoyable event for everyone.

Comments

• cruelb
    cruelb Member Posts: 110

Get rid of remote hooks, period. The rest you mention is pretty much how most people I know feel… yest it still isn't that 'fun', they could do with something more interactive.

I'd also add, what is going on with the scoring… One survivor always has way more points without rhyme nor reason. They need to be a lot clearer about the points system, and maybe show why at the end. A screen showing the attributable factors perhaps?