The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

You Own BVHR, What Is Your First Change To DBD?

Comments

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    Well since this thread is pinned now and the devs are looking at it ignore my first post, kinda embarrassed about it now :dizzy:

My actual list is:
    Introduce rank rewards to encourage ranking up 

Buff the weaker killers not ALL the killers

Give survivors more information 

Rework some underused/ niche/ situational perks 

Work more on fixing bugs

Optimization for consoles 

• Countfunkular
    Countfunkular Member Posts: 405
    Okay you know what I'm going to throw my hat in the ring. This is the first thing I would do...

I would have to have a meeting with the heads of everyone in charge of certain departments. Basically the leaders of every branch.

I would have to tell them that we would need to bring developing future content to a future halt until we can address some balance issues with the game and ways to get our name out in the gaming sphere a bit more to get people talking.

Our main goal would be to make a list of buff, Nerf, and reworks that we need to address along with bug fixes.

Basically we do some spring cleaning with the game and try to address the problems as they are currently now so when we add something we can trim it the right way so we don't have to go back and fix it only updated

That's what I would do...
  • ThePeeje
    ThePeeje Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2019

Day 1 I'd take the 20 or so weakest perks on both sides, and increase one numerical aspect of them by about 10-20%, plus also buff maps.
    Day 2 i'd put in place a plan for the hatch/end game.
    Day 3 i'd fix Nurse so she's easier for noobs, harder for pros.
    Day 4 i'd add additional objectives, perhaps optional one's to boost your score.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

ADD CHUCKY

• FoxWolfFrostFire
    FoxWolfFrostFire Member Posts: 197
    Total overhaul of gens, late game, blood lust, and perk system
  • Venom
    Venom Member Posts: 32

First thing I’d do is make two different modes. Casual games and Ranked games. I’d ensure that Ranked games are extremely enticing with rewards for achieving a certain rank that season. As for Casual mode it would be standard gameplay that matches you with players but unlike Ranked it allows you to use voice chat and play in SWF. I’d also focus on balancing the game to make killers equal in power level which might mean slightly nerfing Nurse and Billy but then adjusting all killers as a whole to be more powerful. As for content I’d put a big focus on licensed content as that attracts a ######### ton of players. I’d probably end up releasing 1 original chapter, then 1 licensened, and so on. The first chapter I’d do is one based on the Child’s Play series, my favorite horror franchise, with a new survivor, killer, and map based on the films, most notably the first 2 or 3, and I got quite a few ideas but I won’t share them in case a dev happens to read this so they don’t feel obligated to go in a different direction as I’ve heard that’s actually an issue for people working on games or comics.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

1) Add more objectives for survivors. Gen repair & escape is boring and repetitive. It'd be cool to have a second set of objectives that change thematically with the maps?
    2) Give survivors and killers new things to interact with, like hiding under beds or inside closets.

• DirtyNurseMain
    DirtyNurseMain Member Posts: 70
    Out with legion and in with shirtless myers!
  • TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    Idk. The DbD devs over time have earned my faith in them to exceed my expectations. They always do, and fairly quickly too. A lot of people compkain about them taking too long, but I am a Warframe veteran. ######### Digital Extremes STILL hasn't fixed serious experience breaking issues that have been in the game for nearly 5 years. BHVR at least acknowledges these balance issues in their game and does launch fixes for them usually within 1 year. Then the serious bugs tend to get squashed within 3 months. 
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

@mintchapstick said:
    1) Add more objectives for survivors. Gen repair & escape is boring and repetitive. It'd be cool to have a second set of objectives that change thematically with the maps?

Care to elaborate? Bear in mind that in this hypothetical question where you own the company, the money for development is coming out of your pocket and the results impact your bank account directly. If your idea falls flat, you lose your house. If your investment in development is successful, you get a mansion.

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Member Posts: 500
    edited February 2019

These would be my major priorities for the DBD team if I owned BHVR:

1) Make the game stable (no more freezes, and "Application inactive"). If people spend more time playing the game, they might appreciate the game more and spend more money on cosmetics. Get the point?

2) Get a few "real" Unreal Engine Performance Consultants from Epic Games and finally improve the major performance problems in this game that a lot of people are complaining about, especially on the Ormond Map, but also on consoles in general. A lot of people that play this game don't have high performance PCs, they play it on potatoe PCs and Laptops, and they experience stutters through FPS drops, and that's not exactly giving them a great game experience.

3) Quit a trial automatically if less than 4 People joined, and put everyone directly back into a "Search Lobby" screen. Nobody wants start a game and already have a disadvantage.

4) Add a meaningful and reliable "connection quality"-indicator that is not (just) based on a naive roundtrip measurement over a very short time frame. Measure the connection quality (packet drops). Maybe use something like a percentile approach to make sense of the roundtrip time and packet loss and it's effects on the connection quality.

5) Put the dedicated server initiative on hold and make it so that a killer also has a latency towards his "local server DBD process". Nobody should have an advantage, and if everybody has to deal with a delay, that's leveling the playing field. Once this is done, and there's a meaningful and reliable "connection quality"-indicator (for survivors), there might not be a need for dedicated servers anymore.

6) If a killer quits his lobby, automatically do a "Search Lobby" again, don't make the player do this manually. Reduce manual actions. Again, get the people to spend more time playing the game, spend more money on cosmetics.

7) Let people buy stuff in the Shop while being in a lobby. Make it more comfy for people to buy cosmetics.

8) Rework the ranking system. Currently it's too easy for players to rank up (especially if the play SWF and get carried). I see players in red ranks that shouldn't be there (including me). The perceived quality of the game depends on who you play against, and this is directly related to ranks. CSGO, Overwatch and other games adapted sort of an ELO system. Wouldn't that be worth looking into?

Post edited by Pizzaman on
  • pandorayr
    pandorayr Member Posts: 597

Nerf Ds.
    Rework Freddy.
    Rework sistem totem.
    Change gens respaw.
    Rework Legion.
    Nerf gen-rush.
    Bans for dc's.
    Rework addons for the killers (2 ultrare, 5 commons etc..)
    Rework hatch.

• Mr_Myers
    Mr_Myers Member Posts: 422
    Bug fixes and power up the weaker killers
  • Dreamnomad

@Brady said:
    A Story mode would be cool. I want to dig down more into the lore of the game and a new game mode would be nice.

A story mode would be cool. I don't think anyone would argue against that. But it would also be a very expensive and time consuming project. It might take upwards of a year to develop a proper story mode and hardcore gamers could chew through a story mode in a weekend. Average gamers will beat it within a week. Story modes are notorious for lack of replayability. From a financial perspective, does that seem like a good investment?

• Dreamnomad

@Spork said:
    The memer part of me wants to make David wear nothing but Undies.

But seriously, I'd want to give the Killers their personal chase music. It would definitely give the game a new feel.

That's a cool idea. I have to admit that I really like The Shape for music cues. Like when you hit EW3, the music kicks in, I get a shot of adrenaline, and go into "KILL, KILL, KILL" mode! If they added some creepy banjo music when the Hillbilly starts a chase, I'd love that.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

@Dreamnomad said:

@mintchapstick said:

Care to elaborate? Bear in mind that in this hypothetical question where you own the company, the money for development is coming out of your pocket and the results impact your bank account directly. If your idea falls flat, you lose your house. If your investment in development is successful, you get a mansion.

Nope, I don't care to elaborate. As the owner of the company, I'm going to pass my request onto my team so we can thinktank it.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

@Eveline said:
    DS removed
    Flashlight removed
    Moris available only after second hook
    Insta down and other op add ons removed

Eh, I think all are okay considering their rarity.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

@Edys said:

Disconnects

• flag system: user.has_disconnect = True/False
    • 1 DC: flag becomes True
    • 2 DC: 3 minute wait before joining / creating a lobby
    • 3 DC: 15 minutes wait
    • 4 DC: 1 hour wait
    • 5 DC: 24 hours wait
    • 6 DC: 48 hours wait
    • 7 DC+: 48 hours wait + player can play only in hell queue
    • every 96 hours (4 days) or every 7 games without disconnections (only solo, not swf) the player loses 1 from his dc count

Hell Queue

• a special queue for flagged players (basically, players that abused somehow the game. for now let's say disconnecters)
    • once a player is in Hell Queue, he can play only against other players in Hell Queue
    • if a swf group has one player in Hell Queue, the group will be queued in Hell Queue
    • normal rules still apply: if a player disconnects from a game his counter still increases, if he cheats he's still reportable etc.
    • players in Hell Queue do not know they are in Hell Queue
    • once in Hell Queue, player record must go back to immaculate (e.g. if he's in the Hell Queue due to 7+ DC, he must wait for his counter to go back to zero before being able to go back to the normal queue)

(EDIT: increased the amount of time / games needed to regress dc count)

I would dd a comment but this basically simplifies what I want, stability for all platforms as well.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

@Dreamnomad said:

@Spork said:
    The memer part of me wants to make David wear nothing but Undies.

But seriously, I'd want to give the Killers their personal chase music. It would definitely give the game a new feel.

That's a cool idea. I have to admit that I really like The Shape for music cues. Like when you hit EW3, the music kicks in, I get a shot of adrenaline, and go into "KILL, KILL, KILL" mode! If they added some creepy banjo music when the Hillbilly starts a chase, I'd love that.

Just gonna leave this link here in case some necromancer(s) wants to raise a dead thread:
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/9974/every-killer-with-its-own-chase-music

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650

If I owned DbD? Easy...

@not_Queen

I would make the hatch closeable. As it was in a PTB long ago. I'd also make it killer sided, as it's been horribly survivor sided for years!

I would create a collectible system within the game. To collect various things found in trials for survivors.

I would also create a ranked rewards system AND a way that rewards people by their DEVOTION level.

I would reskin the generators and hooks on certain maps. So it gives things a random fresh coat of paint.

These are the immediate things I'd change. Also rework some add ons.

• Jonathanskilz
    Jonathanskilz Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2019

Remove perks nobody uses

Get some new annimation in the game

Change the store so you can have diffent outfits at the same time

Make hitboxes diffrent

Remove Legion

Probably change som colors in the game

Dedicated servers

But keep the old system as backup

• gongasdd
    gongasdd Member Posts: 2

I'll make some good killers not like Freddy or Legion
    I'll put a new perk called: Eagle Vision- When you hit somebody allows you too see the most far away survivor.

• HeHeBoii
    HeHeBoii Member Posts: 507

@not_Queen Reimburse those who earned their legacy items back as was promised.

• Dreamnomad

@gongasdd said:
    I'll make some good killers not like Freddy or Legion
    I'll put a new perk called: Eagle Vision- When you hit somebody allows you too see the most far away survivor.

Let's see an example of what a "good killer" looks like to you. What would the different ranks of Eagle Vision do? That perk would destroy any chance of a survivor getting the hatch which is your goal I assume.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    MELT THE NEA
  • captainlongshlong
    captainlongshlong Member Posts: 87

I'd put Shirtless Myers in the store.

Then I'd retire immediately as I am a builder and severely under-qualified to run a video game development studio.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,552

Personally, i'd get some developers that know exactly how to optimize their game visuals. Doing this would allow for a major graphical overhaul. Base maps now look nightmare-ish or touched by The Entity. Survivors don't have strange joints and hunch-backs. Maps are also more atmospheric and leave you with chills instead of: oh look, a lodge. horrifying.

Killers can be more than just humanoid (more of a different issue, but still).

BLACK HAIR ISNT VISIBLE ACROSS THE MAP (exploitable with both Survivors and Killers if you know what to look for).

Then i'd rework perks to reward healthy playstyles and heavily punish admonished ones.

• Peasant

@Mat_Sella said:
    BLACK HAIR ISNT VISIBLE ACROSS THE MAP (exploitable with both Survivors and Killers if you know what to look for).

But how else am I supposed to spot a Claudette from across the map so that I can ambush her like Mr.X?

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

@Orion said:
    Permanently ban all toxic players, thus eliminating the main source of grievances within the community.

You’re definition of toxic is way to flimsy for that to go well though. Just put in specific actions which warrant a ban. Overall toxicity requires intent.

• No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    I would stop with DLCs, would rework perks, killers and the endgame and at the meantime the cosmetics team would make sure that money keeps flooding in. After all issues are fixed, I would continue with new game modes and DLCs 

Yeh stop bringing out new content when the old content doesn't even work

• Notcob
    Notcob Member Posts: 6
    Hit boxes for survivors to be better,
    Rewards for devotion,
    Rewards for rank one but change the way you rank up,
    Rather than nerfing survivor perks continue to rework killer perks to battle against survivors more.

• Kagrenac
    Kagrenac Member Posts: 773

@TAG said:
    Reverse Bear Traps kill people trying to escape through the Hatch. :P

They don't? I thought they did; I'm always afraid to escape through the hatch if I have one on

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Kagrenac said:

@TAG said:
    Reverse Bear Traps kill people trying to escape through the Hatch. :P

They don't? I thought they did; I'm always afraid to escape through the hatch if I have one on

They don't.  You die if you try to cross the Exit Gates wearing one, but the Hatch is safe to exit through while wearing a RBT.
  • Embar
    Embar Member Posts: 1
    I would remove map offerings for killers. Allow them to pick the map unless a survivor uses a map offering. Rework totem placements. Adjust healing times and change how exhaustion works. Old exhaustion was funner for the most part so some type of middle ground.

Side note if you want to see the most annoying thing be a killer and run a mangled sloppy butcher build. Its like a 3 minute self care.
  • suffering23
    suffering23 Member Posts: 230

@Bongbingbing said:
    2v8 Mode
    Buff/Nerf Killers to all be Viable at higher ranks and rework their Add ons so nothings too OP.
    Remove or rework DS
    Do something to close the gaps between Solo, Killers and SWF.
    Crack down more on toxicity.

There's probably a lot more but those are the main things I'd do.

ultra rare add-ons should always be op, very rare could be, rare to common should give a boost

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994
    edited February 2019

@Dreamnomad I posted this over 2 months ago, but you obviously haven’t taken the time to even acknowledge it, so excuse me if I don’t take your sincerity seriously:

Change Bloodweb to Tokens

P.S. A large majority of the community has purposely NOT prestiged, as there was absolutely no plus side other than the crappy bloody clothes. If you all of a sudden change that, you are going to have a very pissed off community.

Post edited by Kaelum on
  • P3ToxicLaurie
    P3ToxicLaurie Member Posts: 142

So low hanging fruit people. What change would you make that requires the least amount of investment for the largest return? Here is my choice. Add a way to exchange purchased items and add ons for add ons or items of equal rarity for characters at level 50. Add a 10% discount for each prestige level. For example, a level 50 Hillbilly could exchange chainsaw files for spark plugs for 3000 bloodpoints. If that Hillbilly were prestige 3 he could make the same exchange for 2100 bloodpoints.

What would be the first thing you would change?

EDIT: A lot of players seem to think of this thread as a "wishlist" thread. That really isn't the intent. The idea is for this to be a mental exercise where you try not to just think of what you want, but what would be best for the company. So maybe you personally, don't like SWF. But do you honestly believe that nerfing or banishing SWF is the best idea from a financial perspective? Would you still feel that way if it affected your bank account?

Ideally, you can come up with ideas that would improve your gaming experience, but also be financially viable. Those are the ideas that they really want to hear and will benefit all of us the most. But this isn't a dictatorship, write what you want.

hitboxes.
  • dont_ask_me_again
    dont_ask_me_again Member Posts: 490
    I’d return legacy for P3’ing the survivor/killer... getting the adept achievement and by reaching a certain amount of devotion level.

I’d make every exclusive cosmetics return after a year except the lunar event cosmetics (every 12 years).

I’d make all cosmetics able to be paid with shards if you bought the counter-parts with shards (normally 2 adjacent that are very alike in the shop).

Lastly I’d create a way for people who have a number of shards not divisible by 10 be able to make them divisible by 10. Such as by making a perk in the shrine that you already own (spend shards for BP) cost 1357 shards as a discount from 2000. It could always be the perk at the top or bottom and will still be 2000 if you don’t own the perk.
  • redsopine01
    redsopine01 Member Posts: 1,269
    Remove the ability to quite the match and as such any dc is intentional leading to faster rage quitting bans
  • mike2835
    mike2835 Member Posts: 83
    I would add more licensed killers been like a year without one and would put in the contract for more outfits for the store. 
  • RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Eveline said:
    Moris available only after second hook

Then they would be meaningless. The only way to not be moried is not get caught
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 356
    edited February 2019
    Rework Legion. Everything else can come after that. 
  • mike2835
    mike2835 Member Posts: 83
    I would definitely fix hit boxes, one of the biggest problems of balance. You drop the pallet, stun the killer and then go down. Is one of the worst breaks In the game.  How about giving the pallet a hit box, so once it's dropped you can't swing threw it.
  • Peasant

@mike2835 said:
    I would definitely fix hit boxes, one of the biggest problems of balance. You drop the pallet, stun the killer and then go down. Is one of the worst breaks In the game.  How about giving the pallet a hit box, so once it's dropped you can't swing threw it.

That's not a hitbox problem, that's a latency problem. The killer lunges at you as you run through the pallet. Their hit connects before your pallet hits them due to how the connections work.

• MPGamer18
    MPGamer18 Member Posts: 124

I would make SWF a separate mode and hold monthly Bloodpoint events to entice new players.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

If I were to own BVHR, I would take out perk tiers to simplify the work it takes when making perks. Once that is done, we can have each perk change rarities depending on how strong the effects are. Basically all perks would be purple, but some stronger ones would be red, while like ten would be brown.

(All perks look tiers, and now have rarities ranging for common to ultra rare. However each perk would be as if it had it's tier three effect. Hopefully removing tier salt and grind.)

Due to having less to work with now, the programmers could work on bug fixes. Meaning more people would play, meaning more profit. Ideally.

(Ideally having less to worry about the perk tiers and effects, the extra time could be worked into bug fixes. This would probably cause people to recommend the game to friends and family.)

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Everyone, and I mean everyone gets this outfit, dance, and music:
    https://youtu.be/h6a1cDwbURE

The basement gets a sex dungeon addon.
  • Peasant
    edited February 2019

Realistically? I would ask the programmers and designers to make some UI and add in the option to choose the menu music from a list of songs that have been played in the past.

Ideally, though I would add a Bloodpoint multiplier based on what perks and items/offerings/add-ons are being used.

Why? Folks never shut up about powerful add-ons. People can't seem to get it through their heads that Ultra-Rare add-ons and Very Rare add-ons are supposed to be powerful. Also, killers seem far too eager to dodge a lobby if they see so much as a broken toolbox.

So, during the loading screen, a program would check what perks and offerings and items/add-ons were used. Then, as the trial starts in the center of the screen the multiplier amount would appear briefly then fade away. (It would be visible in the pause menu above the offerings [or under them if that's easier for the developers])

This is all just an idea, but the counting would be something like this:
    Perk Compensation:
    Tier 1 perk - 0.01
    Tier 2 perk - 0.02
    Tier 3 perk - 0.03

Item Compensation:
    Common item - 0.05
    Uncommon item - 0.06
    Rare item - 0.07
    Very Rare item - 0.08
    Ultra Rare item - 0.09

Add-On Compensation
    Common Add-on - 0.01
    Uncommon Add-on - 0.02
    Rare Add-on - 0.03
    Very Rare Add-on - 0.04
    Ultra Rare Add-on - 0.05

It would just add up the sum of these values depending on what was present then multiply the final scores of each player by it.

This makes a profit by keeping people happy and actively playing. This making people more likely to spend money on cosmetics and dlc.

• BOSS242
    BOSS242 Member Posts: 171
    not_Queen said:

@RuneStarr I like your ideas! Here is where we are on both.
    1. This is something that the Community team really does want to make happen. It needs multiple level of approvals within the team and we are currently just drafting the project. Coming up with something like this (or similar) is one of our objectives on a mid-term plan.
    2. We are currently expending the Marketing team here at DBD. The growth of the team will, in time, allow us to communicate better and more strategically about specific subjects and content releases. When it comes to the PTB, granted, it does take away the ''hype part'' but we need the PTB to be happening. It gives us a lot of feedback and allows us to pinpoint issues better before the official launch. I can't wait to see what you have to say about our communication on the upcoming chapter! :)

How do I apply for your marketing team? I would love to work with dev team! You guys just seem like my people 😊
  • Arroz
    Arroz Member Posts: 1,433

@Edys said:

Disconnects

• flag system: user.has_disconnect = True/False
    • 1 DC: flag becomes True
    • 2 DC: 3 minute wait before joining / creating a lobby
    • 3 DC: 15 minutes wait
    • 4 DC: 1 hour wait
    • 5 DC: 24 hours wait
    • 6 DC: 48 hours wait
    • 7 DC+: 48 hours wait + player can play only in hell queue
    • every 96 hours (4 days) or every 7 games without disconnections (only solo, not swf) the player loses 1 from his dc count

Hell Queue

• a special queue for flagged players (basically, players that abused somehow the game. for now let's say disconnecters)
    • once a player is in Hell Queue, he can play only against other players in Hell Queue
    • if a swf group has one player in Hell Queue, the group will be queued in Hell Queue
    • normal rules still apply: if a player disconnects from a game his counter still increases, if he cheats he's still reportable etc.
    • players in Hell Queue do not know they are in Hell Queue
    • once in Hell Queue, player record must go back to immaculate (e.g. if he's in the Hell Queue due to 7+ DC, he must wait for his counter to go back to zero before being able to go back to the normal queue)

(EDIT: increased the amount of time / games needed to regress dc count)

This will make matchmaking worse than it is, just imagine be with a rank 20 killer who dc and is in the hell queue?
    Btw, I would like to be in the hell queue haha, most of the players of that queue are toxic..