Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Please do not change Self Care

Jayden
Jayden Member Posts: 16
edited June 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions

Self Care, as it is, is balanced. It's one of the only good survivor perks that exists right now because most survivor perks are useless. Killers have many perks they can choose from that benefit them, survivors only have a handful and just because they're used a lot it doesn't mean they're overpowered and doesn't justify a nerf. DS is the only current survivor perk that should be reworked to a nerf. The only good buff for survivors to even consider running is Ace in the Hole if they're item farming. Killers already have so many perks to stop you from healing or slow it down even more, progress shouldn't be reset just because you stopped. Killers have so many perks and add-ons to stop you from doing anything. There's gen reductions, healing reductions, seeing survivors auras so you always know where people are, anti-item builds. The list goes on and on. Survivors on the other hand get some items that most don't even bother to bring into games because of Franklin's and they don't want to lose it for nothing. At least we have one perk to somewhat stop camping (Borrowed Time) and then the rest are to just try to avoid killers who complain about pallet looping even though there is literally nothing else for survivors to do in a chase that isn't super risky and hoping for the killer to mess up and at higher ranks, killers don't normally lose you.

Anyway, here's all the super viable perks I see people running, I know other people run different things along with these perks but these are the perks I see a lot. for each side, the gap between useful perks is insane.

Survivor Perks worth running: Self Care, Decisive Strike, Dead Hard, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Urban Evasion, Borrowed Time

Killer Perks worth running: Nurses Calling, Barbecue & Chilli, Agitation, Blood Warden, Brutal Strength, Coulrophobia, Deerstalker, Distressing, Dying Light, Enduring, Franklin's Demise, Devour Hope, Huntress Lullaby, No One Escapes Death, Ruin, Iron Grasp, Knock Out, Make your Choice, Lightborn, Monitor & Abuse, Overcharge, Pop Goes The Weasel, Thanatophobia, Unnerving Presence, and Whispers

Please reconsider the nerf to Self Care. It's not broken just because it's used a lot. It's a balanced perk and doesn't deserve to be touched. Killers already have counters for it. Leave it be.

Edit: Saw a change on Youtube. This sounds MUCH better than just resetting it to 0. If they did this kind of change I'd be fine with it.
"I'd like to see you guys try maybe not just a complete reset on heal, but a gradual degradation (because you are injured and you are losing blood, so you would lose health). So if you're Self-Caring OR being healed and you get interrupted or put back in a chase, your health bar gradually goes down and loses progress until you start healing again."

Post edited by Jayden on

Comments

• UnlitSky
    UnlitSky Member Posts: 3

I agree with this, the rework of Self Care is not needed. As it stands if you are not running Self Care you can heal with items, if you get the chance to find one in game, or bring one along. The items themselves do not reset so why should Self Care? If you have taken the time to unlock a perk your reward should be getting to keep your healing progression as survivors do not have much going for them in the way of perks that help them, as teammates do not always work as a team.

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708

Self care allows you to heal without help of others or use of items.
    It trivalizes being hit by the killer, on top of that, game was supposed to be a survival horror, having limited supplies is a major thing in such genre.

Right now, it is much more time efficient to self care rather than look for a chest with a medikit or search for a teammate, as the time spent doing any of these two actions would allow you to self care yourself at least two times in most cases.

On top of that, if SC wouldn't be a thing, killer could asses potential threats, such as killer finds a group of survivors, manages to wound all of them and decides to chase the only survivor who has a medikit, knowing as that person can heal themselves without help of any other survivor, while the rest of the group disperses in semi chaos, maybe losing a sight of each others, forcing them to initiate a search actions if not equipped properly (no medikits, no aura reading perks, etc).

Self Care currently trivalizes too many aspects of the game where you sh> @Jayden said:

@PureHostility said:
    Self care allows you to heal without help of others or use of items.
    It trivalizes being hit by the killer, on top of that, game was supposed to be a survival horror, having limited supplies is a major thing in such genre.

Right now, it is much more time efficient to self care rather than look for a chest with a medikit or search for a teammate, as the time spent doing any of these two actions would allow you to self care yourself at least two times in most cases.

On top of that, if SC wouldn't be a thing, killer could asses potential threats, such as killer finds a group of survivors, manages to wound all of them and decides to chase the only survivor who has a medikit, knowing as that person can heal themselves without help of any other survivor, while the rest of the group disperses in semi chaos, maybe losing a sight of each others, forcing them to initiate a search actions if not equipped properly (no medikits, no aura reading perks, etc).

Self Care currently trivalizes too many aspects of the game.

I highly disagree. This is a Survival Horror but it's not like other survival horrors where it's an open map with players able to go wherever and have a lot of space and ways to get rid of the threat, like having a gun, being able to actually outrun the threat, ect.

Your argument for chests is bad, for many reasons. Three chests spawn per match, one being risky to get and always in the basement where the other two are randomly generated in places across the map. You are saying that survivors should all HOPE that there is a medkit inside the chest. So hoping RNG is kind to you, gives you a medkit that is purple because anything lower won't last more than one to two heals and hoping that you don't have your teammats take all the chests because one person isn't going to have the chance to even get a chest.

Also people would try to find each other in the case of everyone being hurt at that point, they'd all go back to the spot where the chase probably started to heal up. People DO NOT bring items hardly anymore because of a fun perk killers get called Franklin's Demise where you have no counter play to it. Also survivors only have a few aura reading perks, one for chests and generators. Only one of those can help and again, hoping for a medkit out of them and hoping for the killer to not have Franklin's and hoping that your teammates didn't steal and get to them before you.

Self Care fits into the game. This game is not a typical survival horror and perks are apart of the game. The killers all have plenty of counter play to self healing and healing in general that it doesn't need to be nerfed. You're logic is too based around a communicating team who can say where all the chests are and that they all have medkits and the killer not having Franklin's or Nurses Calling or literally any perk that slows down progress or shows aura or gets rid of items.

Im basing my response on all survivors being solo players, I do not assume any of them being on comms, as I do not approve of SWF being a game intended feature.

Bringing items in the game is as common as it always was, FD being in play or not doesn't discourage players from what I have seen, just the amount of purple flashlights each game has been lowered for some reason.

Survivors would indeed start looking for each other, if they know they are not in a chase anymore.
    That can cost a bit of a time too before they realize it is safe to do so and killer won't change their target after smacking that last survivor.

About aura reading perks, what I meant by these were Empathy and Bond. If you really want to know all aura reading perks then: Bond, Empathy, Deja Vu, Dark Sense, Alert, Plunderer's Instinct, Wake Up, Detective's Hunch, Kindred, Object of Obsession and Windows of Opportunity.
    That's plenty of them, on top of that you have maps and keys with proper addons, that can substitute perks or even allow you to see stuff that is not possible with just perks.

Also, never said chests should always give you a medikit (if you want that, run Pharmacy, it is a great perk), but give you a chance instead of getting one if you haven't brought any into the game.
    Having no item to heal yourself or no teammate should be a hindrance for you, not a "oh well, will just heal myself with mud".

Too many survivors are too used to running it as a base of their perk builds, you should actually try not using it, it is not a needed perk. However if you cannot play without it, I would question your game knowledge and experience, due to massive reliance on a single perk.

• Jayden

@PureHostility said:
    Im basing my response on all survivors being solo players, I do not assume any of them being on comms, as I do not approve of SWF being a game intended feature.

Bringing items in the game is as common as it always was, FD being in play or not doesn't discourage players from what I have seen, just the amount of purple flashlights each game has been lowered for some reason.

Survivors would indeed start looking for each other, if they know they are not in a chase anymore.
    That can cost a bit of a time too before they realize it is safe to do so and killer won't change their target after smacking that last survivor.

About aura reading perks, what I meant by these were Empathy and Bond. If you really want to know all aura reading perks then: Bond, Empathy, Deja Vu, Dark Sense, Alert, Plunderer's Instinct, Wake Up, Detective's Hunch, Kindred, Object of Obsession and Windows of Opportunity.
    That's plenty of them, on top of that you have maps and keys with proper addons, that can substitute perks or even allow you to see stuff that is not possible with just perks.

Also, never said chests should always give you a medikit (if you want that, run Pharmacy, it is a great perk), but give you a chance instead of getting one if you haven't brought any into the game.
    Having no item to heal yourself or no teammate should be a hindrance for you, not a "oh well, will just heal myself with mud".

Too many survivors are too used to running it as a base of their perk builds, you should actually try not using it, it is not a needed perk. However if you cannot play without it, I would question your game knowledge and experience, due to massive reliance on a single perk.

SWF is the main reason this game is alive, without it, most of the player base would die. When the game first came out, people would just keep DCing to try to get into a game with their friend and most people bought it to play with friends.

From what I've seen, most people in a lot of my games will never bring any good items except flashlights, which they lose pretty early on due to FD. Not even white wards can help you keep items, so I hardly see people bringing in good items. If people do bring in items that isn't a flashlight they're normally one use items like a Brand New Part or yellow items with limited add ons. People were dropping self care but then FD came out so people started running it again.

Also people hardly ever run any Aura reading perks, why? Because they're kinda useless. I use to run Bond all the time but I realized that it really is useless. You just listen for your teammates or actually go looking for them, and yes with random people. Most of the aura reading perks are absolute garbage and aren't even worth bringing. Pluderer's is the only one worth bringing to farm items. There is seriously no reason to bring a aura reading key or a map to any game unless you're super new and don't understand the game that well and you're hoping the killers don't either.

Pharmacy is also a garbage perk, one green medkit is awful and sometimes you search chests to get other items. I ran it for awhile but realized how useless it was after one or two games due to FD getting rid of it or I wanted another item and I had to run out my Pharmacy to even try. Also healing yourself with bandages, the healing in this game makes about as much sense as any other game with healing. This game is not realistic at all if you haven't noticed. This game is not going for realism.

People are running it because there are few worth while survivor perks that aren't completely useless, like I mentioned before. I don't rely on the perk that often, but when playing with random people who are brain dead I don't want to try to get healed from them, nor do I want to chance a chest or a killer having FD. Some people run the Aura reading perks to run the killer into you, which is really fun.

And yes, people are using it a lot, it doesn't mean it's overpowered. It's balanced. It's loud and there are MANY perks to counter healing or anything else in this game for killer's but survivors don't have the luxury to see what killer they're fighting or prepare for it. If they removed SC everyone would run FD because then they know people can't heal, ever. Healing is loud, if a killer can't find you with their aura reading perks or just by hearing you then that's on them.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

@Jayden said:
    Killer Perks worth running: Nurses Calling, Barbecue & Chilli, Agitation, Blood Warden, Brutal Strength, Coulrophobia, Deerstalker, Distressing, Dying Light, Enduring, Franklin's Demise, Devour Hope, Huntress Lullaby, No One Escapes Death, Ruin, Iron Grasp, Knock Out, Make your Choice, Lightborn, Monitor & Abuse, Overcharge, Pop Goes The Weasel, Thanatophobia, Unnerving Presence, and Whispers

The killer only has 4 perks slots. They cannot counter everything.

• Jayden

@Nos37 said:

@Jayden said:

The killer only has 4 perks slots. They cannot counter everything.

BBQ counters hiding, Nurses calling/Coulrophobia counters healing, Ruin counters doing gens fast, Iron Grasp now counters wiggling out.
    That's pretty much all you need, if you see survivors equipping flashlights, lightborn and/or Franklin's Demise.
    Killers get to see survivors before the match, they get to know what items you're bringing but not perks, and with the DS nerf there's nothing killers need to even worry about anymore with perks 'cause our perks never directly effect the killer. They're tools to let us try to stay away from the killer but normally if a killer finds you you're getting downed eventually, unless they're low rank and stupidly blind most killers don't lose you in a chase.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited June 2018
    You clearly don’t play at high ranks on both sides of you think SC is balanced. SC is ridiculously OP. This nerf is not only needed but it isn’t enough. It needs to be hit even harder. After this change it will still be completely meta and ran by everyone.
  • Blueberry
    Jayden said:

@Blueberry said:
    You clearly don’t play at high ranks on both sides of you think SC is balanced. SC is ridiculously OP. This nerf is not only needed but it isn’t enough. It needs to be hit even harder. After this change it will still be completely meta and ran by everyone.

I've been a high rank killer, I am a rank 1 survivor. It's not OP. The reason why it's Meta is because they have NO other options that are worth running over it. Survivors get hardly any perks worth running. Medkits aren't reliable in the game. If they changed Franklin's the nerf wouldn't be as bad, or if they changed medkits to do more in general. Right now Killers have so many ways to counter healing, if you can't find someone before they self care or get healed that's on you, but it's extremely loud and very easy to hear someone self caring.

Killers do not have “multiple” ways to counter healing. We have nurses calling, that’s it. If you get caught healing in the killers terror radius then you’re an idiot, that’s not because it’s a strong counter. Only other counters are certain killer addons which are “minor” to say the least and it’s requiring them to waste an addon. The time difference between what the killer lost to get that hit on you, and the time you spend to heal it is not even in the same ball park. I don’t believe you are rank 1 on both sides or you would know this.
  • Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

Even Matthieu Cote realised that Self-care proved to be an issue for this game.
    If EVEN HIM, the guy that considered infinites to be skilled, think this is too strong, it might be a hint.
    Kek.

• shadowsfall42
    shadowsfall42 Member Posts: 201
    Self care cannot remain in it's current state. 
  • Jayden
    edited June 2018

@Runiver said:
    If EVEN HIM, the guy that considered infinites to be skilled, think this is too strong, it might be a hint.
    Kek.

Matthieu also thought ping meters would break immersion. You even contradicted yourself, if he thinks infinites are skilled then he doesn't know the game balance and the self care comment he made is negated by your own statement.

• Blueberry
    Jayden said:

@Blueberry said:

Killers do not have “multiple” ways to counter healing. We have nurses calling, that’s it. If you get caught healing in the killers terror radius then you’re an idiot, that’s not because it’s a strong counter. Only other counters are certain killer addons which are “minor” to say the least and it’s requiring them to waste an addon. The time difference between what the killer lost to get that hit on you, and the time you spend to heal it is not even in the same ball park. I don’t believe you are rank 1 on both sides or you would know this.

Uh there are a lot of things to counter healing. Killers don't lose you most games, once you're found you're dead for the most part unless the killer is blind. I'm not sure you're rank 1 anything thinking that way. Especially since you think Nurse's calling is the only way to counter healing, have you played the game recently?

All the ways to counter healing and for tracking hurt players:
    Perks: Thanatophobia, Nurse's Calling, Dying Light, Barbecue & Chilli, Overwhelming Presence (For Medkits), Coulrophobia, Bloodhound, Deerstalker, Franklin's Demise (For Medkits), Knock Out, Predator, Sloppy Butcher
    Add-ons: Rusted Jaws, Coarse Stone, Fine Stone, Utility Blades, Begrimed Chains, Begrimed Head, Rusted Chains, Rusty Attachments, Rusty Head, Sulphuric Acid Vial

All the ways the game hands you ways to find survivors:
    Perks: Barbecue & Chilli, Nurse's Calling, Bitter Murmur, Spies from the Shadows, Whispers, Territorial Imperative, Blood Warden,
    Add-ons: Pussy Willow Catkins, Willow Wreath, "Restraint" - Class II, "Restraint" - Class III, "Restraint" - Carter's Notes, Class Photo, Black Box, Reflective Fragment, Glass Fragment, Mirror Shard, Vanity Mirror, Scratched Mirror, Amanda's Secret, Tattoo's Middle Finger, "All Seeing" - Mud, "All Seeing" - Spirit, "All Seeing" - Blood, "All Seeing" - White
    Other: Doctor

Then don't forget the instant down things:
    Perks: Hex: No One Escapes Death, Hex: Devour Hope, Make your Choice
    Add-ons: Diamond Stone, Redhead's Pinky Finger, Iridescent Head
    Other: Chainsaws, Myers

The fact that you actually think those are counters is laughable. You are not rank 1. I’m done here, this is a git gud thread.
  • Jayden

@Blueberry said:
    Jayden said:

@Blueberry said:

Uh there are a lot of things to counter healing. Killers don't lose you most games, once you're found you're dead for the most part unless the killer is blind. I'm not sure you're rank 1 anything thinking that way. Especially since you think Nurse's calling is the only way to counter healing, have you played the game recently?

Perks: Thanatophobia, Nurse's Calling, Dying Light, Barbecue & Chilli, Overwhelming Presence (For Medkits), Coulrophobia, Bloodhound, Deerstalker, Franklin's Demise (For Medkits), Knock Out, Predator, Sloppy Butcher

Add-ons: Rusted Jaws, Coarse Stone, Fine Stone, Utility Blades, Begrimed Chains, Begrimed Head, Rusted Chains, Rusty Attachments, Rusty Head, Sulphuric Acid Vial

Perks: Barbecue & Chilli, Nurse's Calling, Bitter Murmur, Spies from the Shadows, Whispers, Territorial Imperative, Blood Warden,

Add-ons: Pussy Willow Catkins, Willow Wreath, "Restraint" - Class II, "Restraint" - Class III, "Restraint" - Carter's Notes, Class Photo, Black Box, Reflective Fragment, Glass Fragment, Mirror Shard, Vanity Mirror, Scratched Mirror, Amanda's Secret, Tattoo's Middle Finger, "All Seeing" - Mud, "All Seeing" - Spirit, "All Seeing" - Blood, "All Seeing" - White

The fact that you actually think those are counters is laughable. You are not rank 1. I’m done here, this is a git gud thread.

I give actual examples that are counters of perks and things and you rage off because you're wrong, cya

• Runiver

@Jayden said:

@Runiver said:
    Kek.

Matthieu also thought ping meters would break immersion. You even contradicted yourself, if he thinks infinites are skilled then he doesn't know the game balance and the self care comment he made is negated by your own statement.

Clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Tho, as a matter of fact, Self-care is just way too strong.
    It's a huge time saver, it allows more boldness, more safety when healing, it forces the killer to commit into a chase even if the survivor reaches an overly strong spot, if he doesn't want to instantly lose the chase progress due to the survivor's self-caring, amongst other uses.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

For the reasons stated above and more, self care is extremely unhealthy. It eliminates any map pressure a killer should have gotten for attacking a survivor and switching targets. It removes any notion on consequence for doing something foolish.

This nerf isn't even meaningful, nor will it change the meta at all. Anyone who thinks that way is delusional. Just go somewhere safe to heal, problem solved. If it were up to me, Self care would have limited charges that only allow a maximum of 2 heals per game. You should be thankful such an insignificant change like that proposed in today's video is being considered as sufficient. I'm just amazed the developers think that resetting progress to 0 if interrupted might be too strong. I mean, really?

• Jayden

@Runiver said:
    It's a huge time saver, it allows more boldness, more safety when healing, it forces the killer to commit into a chase even if the survivor reaches an overly strong spot, if he doesn't want to instantly lose the chase progress due to the survivor's self-caring, amongst other uses.

It prevents you from doing gens or anything while you are healing. Self care is very loud and you can hear it from a pretty good distance away, there's ways to slow it down and ways to find people who are hurt. It's not overpowered, it's the only way to not have to rely on your random/bad teammates to heal you. When it first came out it was actually broken, and it's been in a good place since then. They can just get healed by teammates which is faster if you switch targets.

• Jayden

@Beaburd said:
    For the reasons stated above and more, self care is extremely unhealthy. It eliminates any map pressure a killer should have gotten for attacking a survivor and switching targets. It removes any notion on consequence for doing something foolish.

This nerf isn't even meaningful, nor will it change the meta at all. Anyone who thinks that way is delusional. Just go somewhere safe to heal, problem solved. If it were up to me, Self care would have limited charges that only allow a maximum of 2 heals per game. You should be thankful such an insignificant change like that proposed in today's video is being considered as sufficient. I'm just amazed the developers think that resetting progress to 0 if interrupted might be too strong. I mean, really?

If you do something foolish that's on you, not the survivor. The nerf is just annoying because of random passives from killers, like doctors with distressing making you go insane from far away, making you scream, resetting your progress and they know exactly where you are. If one of your teammates gets downed and hook, here comes the killer with BBQ. There's many reasons changing it is toxic to survivors. Having healing ticks would be better than the current change but at 3 charges as long as they counted for completing the health state. Resetting progress to 0 is a stupid change, I wouldn't mind it going down by a percentage if you quit, 0 is just too much.

• ABCBABCBABC
    ABCBABCBABC Member Posts: 12

@Jayden said:

Distressing is only good on Doctor. Agitation and Iron Grasp are useful, but I would hardly call them meta or even all that great. Thanataphobia is considered trash by most Killers as, even at its best, it adds a mere few seconds to Gen Repair (I think it's like two or three). Knock Out and Franklin's are ok, the former being countered by SWF and the latter isn't needed if items aren't brought (also why Lightborn isn't that great as it relies on items being in play). Monitor & Abuse is ok, but only really good on Myers or Killers with over all smaller Terror Radiuses. Unnerving Presence is only good on Doctor. For Stealth Killers its useless, and it's actively detrimental to one Killer in particularly (Freddy).

It seems to me that you only consider perks to be "good" if they're very strong or outright meta perks. What about Lightweight? We'll Make It? Bond? Empathy? Iron Will? Quick & Quiet? Lithe (Lithe has saved me just as much as Sprint Burst)? We're Gonna Live Forever? Botany Knowledge? Small Game is great for finding Totems if you don't remember the spawns of every one. Hell, you could even almost argue that Prove Thyself is worth it as it grants you more points in Lightbringer.

The other day, I was playing on Console where I have almost none of the "good" perks. The only perks I had maxed out were Spine Chill, Premonition, Small Game, and Prove Thyself. With Spine Chill and Premonition, I was able to know when the Killer was heading my way and what direction they were coming, regardless of who they were so they almost never found me. I destroyed Hex Totems and a bunch of dull ones for a lot of points in Boldness. And Prove Thyself helped me heal slightly faster and get more points in Lightbringer.

The point I'm trying to make is that all perks have Merit and can be very powerful if used properly. Especially ones like We'll Make it, Iron Will, Quick & Quiet.

The proposed nerf to Self Care isn't even that strong. To my knowledge, all it does is lose progression if you stop. Literally all this means is that you will have to be smarter in where you heal, something people like me who don't rely on Self Care have already been doing. People complain about Nurse's Calling all the time, but if you are smart about where and when you heal, Nurse's Calling will almost never affect you.

• salty_jim
    salty_jim Member Posts: 6

I'm sorry but I fail to see how an infinite self-medkit that takes away all the impact of a killer's deeds and allows you to bring in another item alongside it is balanced, the way you could just heal, move, heal, move was bullshit, with these changes you need to actually think about when and where you decide to heal, its also clear that the new self-care is more of a last resort perk for if you absolutely cannot find a fellow survivor or medkit(since healing from those sources is not reset)

I also disagree with your perk list which seems to be kinda misinformed.

Survivor perks worth running: Self Care, Decisive Strike, Dead Hard, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Urban Evasion, Borrowed Time, Bond, Empathy, Quick and Quiet, Iron WIll, Balanced Landing, Unbreakable, Lithe, Vigil, Tenacity, Detective's Hunch and WIndows of Opportunity

Killer perks worth running: Nurses Calling, Barbecue & Chilli, Agitation, Blood Warden, Distressing, Enduring, Franklin's Demise, No One Escapes Death, Ruin, Iron Grasp, Knock Out, Make your Choice, Lightborn, Monitor & Abuse, Overcharge, Pop Goes The Weasel and Whispers

As you can see, its not that big of a difference

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998
    edited June 2018

@Jayden said:

@Beaburd said:

If you do something foolish that's on you, not the survivor. The nerf is just annoying because of random passives from killers, like doctors with distressing making you go insane from far away, making you scream, resetting your progress and they know exactly where you are. If one of your teammates gets downed and hook, here comes the killer with BBQ. There's many reasons changing it is toxic to survivors. Having healing ticks would be better than the current change but at 3 charges as long as they counted for completing the health state. Resetting progress to 0 is a stupid change, I wouldn't mind it going down by a percentage if you quit, 0 is just too much.

When I said it removes any notion of consequence for doing something foolish, I meant the survivor. For example, maybe the survivor failed at hiding or accidentally took a hit but the kill has something else to follow up on? With self-care, they get a slap on the wrist as it won't even matter in a few seconds.

And don't worry, they said they were probably going to make progress reset to whatever it was beforehand instead. So if you got healed to 50% via a medkit or teammate, that would be where it resets if your future self care got interrupted. They mentioned the 0 progress reset in passing, saying they were concerned it was too strong, which is what I'm scoffing at. The nerf is just so minor in that case. Yes, you have to run further, but you still get to keep infinite healing with no downsides other than time.

But hey, if everyone prefers a charge system then fingers crossed that they do that instead. I'm still vouching for two heals worth though.

• Jayden

@salty_jim said:
    I'm sorry but I fail to see how an infinite self-medkit that takes away all the impact of a killer's deeds and allows you to bring in another item alongside it is balanced, the way you could just heal, move, heal, move was bullshit, with these changes you need to actually think about when and where you decide to heal, its also clear that the new self-care is more of a last resort perk for if you absolutely cannot find a fellow survivor or medkit(since healing from those sources is not reset)

Survivor perks worth running: Self Care, Decisive Strike, Dead Hard, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Urban Evasion, Borrowed Time, Bond, Empathy, Quick and Quiet, Iron WIll, Balanced Landing, Unbreakable, Lithe, Vigil, Tenacity, Detective's Hunch and WIndows of Opportunity

Killer perks worth running: Nurses Calling, Barbecue & Chilli, Agitation, Blood Warden, Distressing, Enduring, Franklin's Demise, No One Escapes Death, Ruin, Iron Grasp, Knock Out, Make your Choice, Lightborn, Monitor & Abuse, Overcharge, Pop Goes The Weasel and Whispers

Half of those perks are bad still, you can't really pair up more than one exhaustion perk or it becomes awful, and some of those perks like detectives hunch and widows of opportunity are awful and really aren't needed if you have eyes and can see where windows and pallets are and Detective's hunch is bad since it only works if you can't look up to see the gens lights flickering, don't look around at all for totems and don't run plunderers which is a lot better. I'm really starting to think people don't use headphones or move their camera when they're running to look at their environment.

• Runiver

@Jayden said:

@Runiver said:

It prevents you from doing gens or anything while you are healing. Self care is very loud and you can hear it from a pretty good distance away, there's ways to slow it down and ways to find people who are hurt. It's not overpowered, it's the only way to not have to rely on your random/bad teammates to heal you. When it first came out it was actually broken, and it's been in a good place since then. They can just get healed by teammates which is faster if you switch targets.

Having to rely on teammates to compensate for your failures (aka getting hit) is the essence of that kind of game.
    It doesn't stop you from doing gens, it's actually a time gain, since a healing teammate would actually waste more gen time healing you, than he would have by simply keep repairing while you self-care. (Simple maths : If he heals you, he works at 100% efficiency, you work at 0%. If you self-care while he repairs, you work at 50% efficiency, while he works at 100% efficiency.)

Self-care allows you not to stop your teammates from repairing, allows you not to have to regroup to heal (regrouping survivors is a good way for the killer to pressure multiple survivors at once and distrupt them efficiently), allows you to get in a corner to safely heal without having to bring a teammate there either, and extensively, as stated above, it forces killer to commit to chases through strong windows (aka coal tower and such) if they do not want to lose the initial hit they managed to get due to self-care, while a non-self-care survivor would have to possibly take a risk stepping away from it to get healed.

It just has TOO MANY BENEFITS in a single perk, which explains the humongous 80%+ pickrate of the perk, including new survivors (% that will surely increase due to the latest patch, allowing newcomers to have self-care at level 1 with a level 1 claudette).

It is just way too practical AND versatile to bypass, which is why it is too strong. A perk should fit a playstyle, not be a stupid "mandatory perk because it's strong and useful in nearly every situations"

• Jayden

@Runiver said:

@Jayden said:

@Runiver said:

Having to rely on teammates to compensate for your failures (aka getting hit) is the essence of that kind of game.
    It doesn't stop you from doing gens, it's actually a time gain, since a healing teammate would actually waste more gen time healing you, than he would have by simply keep repairing while you self-care. (Simple maths : If he heals you, he works at 100% efficiency, you work at 0%. If you self-care while he repairs, you work at 50% efficiency, while he works at 100% efficiency.)

Self-care allows you not to stop your teammates from repairing, allows you not to have to regroup to heal (regrouping survivors is a good way for the killer to pressure multiple survivors at once and distrupt them efficiently), allows you to get in a corner to safely heal without having to bring a teammate there either, and extensively, as stated above, it forces killer to commit to chases through strong windows (aka coal tower and such) if they do not want to lose the initial hit they managed to get due to self-care, while a non-self-care survivor would have to possibly take a risk stepping away from it to get healed.

It just has TOO MANY BENEFITS in a single perk, which explains the humongous 80%+ pickrate of the perk, including new survivors (% that will surely increase due to the latest patch, allowing newcomers to have self-care at level 1 with a level 1 claudette).

It is just way too practical AND versatile to bypass, which is why it is too strong. A perk should fit a playstyle, not be a stupid "mandatory perk because it's strong and useful in nearly every situations"

It's very easy to get hit, killers run faster than you. Healing and then working on a gen with 2 people is much faster. Also the too many benefits in a single perk can be applied to BBQ which 90% of killers use. BBQ is the killers practical and versatile perk that everyone runs. All killers just complain about self care being used too much which makes it broken, when every killer uses BBQ. So hopefully that gets nerfed soon going by the logic.

• Runiver

@Jayden said:

@Runiver said:

@Jayden said:

@Runiver said:

It's very easy to get hit, killers run faster than you. Healing and then working on a gen with 2 people is much faster. Also the too many benefits in a single perk can be applied to BBQ which 90% of killers use. BBQ is the killers practical and versatile perk that everyone runs. All killers just complain about self care being used too much which makes it broken, when every killer uses BBQ. So hopefully that gets nerfed soon going by the logic.

"Very easy to get hit" clearly depends on the situation.
    Healing and working on a gen with 2 people is not faster, it's actually slower.
    Simple maths :
    You're self-caring (50% efficiency)
    1 guy is repairing alone (100% efficiency)
    another guy is repairing alone (100% efficiency)
    Total efficiency : 250% at all times with no break.

You get healed by your 2 teammates (200% efficiency)
    Then, you all have to get positioned to a gen (that has possibly not 3 slots)
    You all get the malus for repairing at multiple survivor (-10% per extra survivor on a gen)
    You're actually wasting time playing as a team and regrouping, compared to self-caring.

BBQ is a perk that is mostly ran to get the BP bonus to make the pain of a life to play killer worth it. The aura reading is mostly beneficial only on a few killers, and actually got nerfed next patch due to the color change of the generator aura to red, which allows survivor to hide behind them without being spottable.
    Do you see any killer complaining about this ? No. Why ? Because we got used to get our stuff changed and nerfed and learnt to adapt rather than simply saying "No." (even tho BBQ wasn't even broken in the first place)
    Not to mention BBQ has CONDITIONS (Hooking someone, looking around, rage limitations), and is SITUATIONAL (depending on the number of survivors, and eventually not usable if you're in a hurry to do something else) and not VERSATILE (it's very rigid and won't get useful most of the time), unlike self-care.

Also, BBQ is another subject. Trying to make an argument for self-care using BBQ is pretty sad.
    BBQ is pretty far from a 80% perk usage. I actually removed it from all of my killers except from Billy, since I got all the BPs I needed.

• salty_jim
    salty_jim Member Posts: 6

@Jayden said:

@salty_jim said:

Half of those perks are bad still, you can't really pair up more than one exhaustion perk or it becomes awful, and some of those perks like detectives hunch and widows of opportunity are awful and really aren't needed if you have eyes and can see where windows and pallets are and Detective's hunch is bad since it only works if you can't look up to see the gens lights flickering, don't look around at all for totems and don't run plunderers which is a lot better. I'm really starting to think people don't use headphones or move their camera when they're running to look at their environment.

I never said you had to stick Lithe, Balanced Landing, Sprint Burst and Dead Hard into one build, Lithe and Balanced Landing are perfectly viable options to put in a build in the place of Dead Hard or Sprint Burst.

I like how you said ''Half of those perks are bad'' and then only talked about two, just because they aren't OP or top-tier doesn't mean they're absolutely worthless like so many other perks, Detective's Hunch is never used for the generator auras, always for the totems/chests, believe it or not but some maps actually have some pretty good totem placements, Hunch also saves you the time you'd otherwise have spent looking for the totem, as a bonus you get a little bit of Plunderer's. Windows of Opportunity helps you identify what spot is best to run/sprint burst to, even if you use your eyes during a regular non-SWF match it can become hard to keep track of which pallets have been used by other survivors.

Also to add on to what I previously said about selfcare: Nurse's Calling is not a counter

• Sn0wJob
    Sn0wJob Member Posts: 247

@Jayden said:

People DO NOT bring items hardly anymore because of a fun perk killers get called Franklin's Demise where you have no counter play to it. Also survivors only have a few aura reading perks, one for chests and generators. Only one of those can help and again, hoping for a medkit out of them and hoping for the killer to not have Franklin's and hoping that your teammates didn't steal and get to them before you.

Just go pick your item back up, nothing stops you from doing so. Also franklins is an optional perk unlike BBQ and Hex:ruin. I've seen way more people running whispers and nurses calling or enduring and lightborn

• Sn0wJob
    Sn0wJob Member Posts: 247

Self care is a perk that > @Jayden said:

@Blueberry said:

The problem with all these so called counters to healing is they take away a slot from countering survivor perks/items(more plentiful than addons because you can leave with it)
    and you can't justify running them against gen rush because they don't buy you any meaningful time versus ruin/BBQ [again two mandatory perk slots.] and chase defeating perks. So that's all your perk slots taken up unless you're playing nurse or billy since they troll the chase.

We won't see build diversity on either side until the perk/counterperk war is done and over with, and that is going to mean that DS and self care are getting nerfed.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

@Jayden said:
    Self Care, as it is, is balanced. It's one of the only good survivor perks that exists right now because most survivor perks are useless. Killers have many perks they can choose from that benefit them, survivors only have a handful and just because they're used a lot it doesn't mean they're overpowered and doesn't justify a nerf. DS is the only current survivor perk that should be reworked to a nerf. The only good buff for survivors to even consider running is Ace in the Hole if they're item farming. Killers already have so many perks to stop you from healing or slow it down even more, progress shouldn't be reset just because you stopped. Killers have so many perks and add-ons to stop you from doing anything. There's gen reductions, healing reductions, seeing survivors auras so you always know where people are, anti-item builds. The list goes on and on. Survivors on the other hand get some items that most don't even bother to bring into games because of Franklin's and they don't want to lose it for nothing. At least we have one perk to somewhat stop camping (Borrowed Time) and then the rest are to just try to avoid killers who complain about pallet looping even though there is literally nothing else for survivors to do in a chase that isn't super risky and hoping for the killer to mess up and at higher ranks, killers don't normally lose you.

Anyway, here's all the super viable perks I see people running, I know other people run different things along with these perks but these are the perks I see a lot. for each side, the gap between useful perks is insane.

Survivor Perks worth running: Self Care, Decisive Strike, Dead Hard, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Urban Evasion, Borrowed Time

Please reconsider the nerf to Self Care. It's not broken just because it's used a lot. It's a balanced perk and doesn't deserve to be touched. Killers already have counters for it. Leave it be.

Edit: Saw a change on Youtube. This sounds MUCH better than just resetting it to 0. If they did this kind of change I'd be fine with it.
    "I'd like to see you guys try maybe not just a complete reset on heal, but a gradual degradation (because you are injured and you are losing blood, so you would lose health). So if you're Self-Caring OR being healed and you get interrupted or put back in a chase, your health bar gradually goes down and loses progress until you start healing again."

Self Care is to strong right now. Survivors healing mid chase shouldn´t be a thing.
    Now to your list of survivor and killer perks worth running.
    Survivor perks: Ace in the Hole (free add-ons), Adrenaline, Borrowed Time, Dead Hard, Deceisive Strike, Kindred, Pharmacy, Self Care, Sprint Burst, Streetwise, Unbreakable, Urban Evasion, Vigil, We´ll make it, Bond, Empathy, Iron Will, Lightweight, Plunderers Instinct (free purple flashlights!), Quick&Quiet, Small Game, We´re gonna farm forever.

I think you went a little short on the worthwile survivor perks.

Killer perks: Nurse Calling, BBQ, Distressing (only on the doctor), Franklins, NOED, Ruin, Monitor&Abuse (only on Myers), Overcharge, Whispers, Deerstalker, Enduring, Unnerving Pressence (only on doctor).

The rest of the killer perks are to weak or only for specific builds. Like Knock out for slug builds and Iron Grasp + Agitation to drag a survivor to the Basement. But on their own, both perks are weak.

Now your "strong" killer perks:
    Blood warden = to situational, useless against SWF.
    Brutal Strength = the bonus is not worth it.
    Coultrophobia = No one heals in the killers terror radius because of Nurse Calling.
    Dying Light = a perk to tunnel and camp. By the time it´s effect starts, the game is already over.
    Huntress Lullaby = useless, since survivors know its on the map even before it has its first token.
    Thanatophobia = the slow down is to small

I liked what they said in the stream. They could buff Trapper a little bit more by removing the RNG. But the rest seems really solid. Especially the new wallhack perks that will shake up the meta.

• IronWolf115
    IronWolf115 Member Posts: 672

Thanatophobia is trash and ironically gets easily countered by self care, Nurses calling is by far the best and one of the only ways to track healing survivors, Dying Light is complete garbage which pretty much requires you to bring a mori, BBQ and chilli is easy to counter ( just walk one direction for a few seconds then go in another ), Overwhelming presence is just awful and not worth using a perk slot, Coulrophobia is only useful in tandem with Nurses calling ( which is half your perk slots right there ), Bloodhound is fine it does what it is meant to do not much to say there, Deerstalker is exclusively for downed survivors and has no impact on self care at all, Franklins Demise is not a very good perk because if you are hit by it you can just retrieve the item later, Knock out is the exact same as Deerstalker it has no impact on self care, Predator is one of the worst perks in the game right now and is actually a hinderence to killer players, Sloppy butcher is mainy useable in tandem with Bloodhound ( which in my opinion is not worth 2 perk slots ).

All of the add-ons that you mention are completely ability reliant, which means you would have to hit them with either the chainsaw, the hatchets or the bear trap etc. ( which chainsaw can be hard to hit on good survivors, hatchets are very inconsistent at the moment and bear traps are easily found by good survivors ).

Bitter Murmur is a terrible end game perk that, once again, has no impact on self care, Spies from the shadows is just awful because survivors can just crouch and birds wont activate, Whispers is an alright perk but it also is not a definitive location of a survivor, it just gives you a general vicinity on them, Territorial imperative is basement only so has no impact on self care and blood warden is an endgame perk that relies on you hooking a survivor AFTER the gates have been opened and has no impact on self care.

And finally NOED and Devour hope are hex perks that can be destroyed and once again have no impact on self care, and Make your choice gives the survivor the notification that they are exposed so they know to just avoid the killer and has no effect on self care

The point I am trying to make here is that very few of the things you mentioned actually affect self care directly. I personally believe self care should be removed entirely which would then promote far more team play by surviovors and add more risk to getting hit ( which right now there is very little risk )