Looping Needs To Go

Devs, it's time we discuss this here. It's time we remove looping from the game. It's been in the game long enough and it's time to go. This game isn't about running around a bunch of debris and abusing the larger killer hitboxes. It's not fair and heavily favors survivors.

Comments

• Judith
    Judith Member Posts: 819

Ok but what is the alternative? How can survivors survive without loops?

• KaoMinerva
    KaoMinerva Member Posts: 451

I just blink and chainsaw Sprint!🙃

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

The only way to stop (pallet) looping is removing pallets but that would be unbalanced. Sidestepping helps if you’re being looped btw.

• Judith

Nurse can't be looped but Billy can. And Nurse is not balanced in my opinion.

• KaoMinerva
    KaoMinerva Member Posts: 451

Y'all just BELIEVE she isn't balanced because she can't be looped.🤷

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    edited April 2019

Ok. How?

Also the alternative is LoS jukes btw. If you are able to get back into hiding before the Killer is able to catch up do you then that is a successful chase that didn't involve loops.

I know that's unreliable in the current state of the game but that just misses the point, the way the game is setup allows for it to work and all we really need to do for that is nerf the ######### out of scratchmarks.

The real question is how to stop looping in the minimum number of changes in a way that doesn't stop alternative methods.

• Judith
    edited April 2019

Yes considering the fact survivors have hardly any other means to escape. Pallets and loops are there for a reason and make the game what it is today. If you take that away you are left with either completely unbalanced and unfun game or something that isn't dead by daylight. You are not thinking about consequences nor are you presenting alternatives. You can't just remove them like that it is silly.

• GrootDude

Y’all= You all.

One person said she was unbalanced in this thread. I feel like nurse becomes a true skill on skill match, much more so than up against any other killer.

• Vlieger
    Vlieger Member Posts: 326
    edited April 2019

Looping/chasing and mind gaming loops is one of the only fun things in this game. Lets remove all the fun!

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861

I agree with @Vlieger That’s what makes the game fun. The only thing that needs to be addressed are infinites, not regular loops.

• NuclearBurrito

@Judith I'm presenting alternatives!

They definitely exist. Unfortunately they are not nearly as strong as looping is which is why we don't usually talk about them. But that doesn't mean there can't be other ways.

So long as we don't make these kinds of changes in isolation we can definitely make it work.

Also:

"Yes considering the fact survivors have hardly any other means to escape the chase. Pallets and loops are there for a reason and make the game what it is today."

This right here is why I think Scratchmarks are the root of the issue rather than some Survivor mechanic.

Scratchmarks mean you can't really escape a Killer who is determined to catch you 9/10 times. So if you can't shake the Killer then what can you do? Stall them until you can escape! And how do you do that? Looping!

So no scratchmarks (or at least weaker scratchmarks) means jukes work well enough to be a primary strategy. Which then means looping doesn't have to be a workable long term strategy for the game to work. Which then lets us nerf it restoring the games balance, both in general (since juke/mindgame focused gameplay generally leads to shorter chases for one reason or another) and for Killers (Freddy, Doctor and Wraith suddenly are able to compete really well, Nurse and Billy suddenly have a lot of counterplay to contend with ect)

• Judith

Are you sure? Plenty of times I lost a survivor after breaking a pallet. Doubt I am in minority. And even if you can't escape you can buy time for others to do gens. If you are running in the open jukes can only help you so far. Pallets give survivors some chance to survive.

• NuclearBurrito

It all comes down to how exactly you remove looping, since looping isn't a mechanic but rather a strategy you can't just say "looping is now removed" since that means nothing in terms of mechanics. And you can't just remove windows and pallets since those are very important to the LoS jukes I mentioned.

• Judith

Sorry I was responding to Orion.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

How can you remove looping? You can't control what players do.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

If you lost a survivor after breaking a pallet, then it's because that survivor stopped looping and juked you. Looping, by definition, is just wasting as much of the killer's time as possible, with no intention of actually winning the chase.

• NuclearBurrito

@LCGaster technically you can. But that misses the point so for a real answer:

You don't, instead you nerf it until it isn't a viable strategy, or at the very least isn't a dominant strategy while in a chase.

• NuclearBurrito

Yeah losing a Killer who is breaking a pallet IS an example of an alternative to looping.

• Orion

But you can take away the reason it works. Shrink killer hitboxes so they're the same size as survivors', don't slow down killers when they turn, and increase killers' acceleration so they reach top speed at the same time as survivors.

• Orion

And it's so ######### easy, it's laughable. You could even hide in a locker during that time, because of how loud the breaking sound is. I would know, since I've done it before.

• Judith

If they wasted my time with loops and used a pallet to juke me that is even better than juking me immediately. You present good counter arguments but I still think that game would be severely unbalanced if loops get removed.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,935

Remove looping BUT make every 115 % Killer to an 110 % and every 110 % Killer an 105 % Killer. I am not a fan of this idea and complaining about looping shows that this person doesn't know how to mindgame or anti loop or force pallets down.

• GrootDude

@Orion this juke probably wouldn’t work if you were wounded since you still have blood unless you bring no mither.

• Judith

As a killer I love mindgaming loops and if I get outplayed it is on me. I am aware that some killers are weak for that but that is another story and they need some buffs to keep up.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

@NuclearBurrito

The problem is that as long as pallets are there, pallet looping will be a thing.

Looping was not intended, players came up with it. At this point looping is apart of the game, it should not go in my opinion.

On the other hand, infinite loops need to go.

• NuclearBurrito

@Judith It would be! That's why you can't just remove looping and call it a day. I'm not saying we should and anyone who is saying that doesn't understand how balance works. I know better than do think that is a good idea.

However that does NOT mean that we shouldn't nerf looping. Just that if we do then we MUST also give Survivors buffs. Maybe to gen repairs speed, probably buffs to stealth and other alternative strategies (which is also the best approach to gen rush. Nerf it AND buff something else as an alternative). Luckly unlike genrush there IS a clear alternative. Yes right now no one cares because looping is just better. You are 100% correct about that and ITS PART OF THE PROBLEM!

Therefor:

Nerf looping

Buff not-looping

You must do both or nothing will be solved.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited April 2019

The game has had so many balance changes and perks added due to looping, they would need to rework aura perks and los breakers and make stealth more viable.

I would bet you would create a post not long after if they did work to remove it about perk nerfs, it is unfair that survivors can lose you so easily along with not be able to find anyone and stealth sucks dbd is a walking around simulator.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Orion

Of course not. That's why I always bring Premonition, so I can get an idea of where the killer is coming from and prepare accordingly. It's particularly helpful against the Wraith, which this killer was. Never even got a hit.

• MrDardon

I also don't get this "remove looping" complaining. Most loops are mindgameable, Farm maps get more balanced in the next patch, there are still busted loops and pallets on many maps but a good Killer should know how to handle that.

And I enjoy chasing Survivors, mindgaming, outplaying them. Being a 110 % without any pallets or loops to mindgame would be boring as #########

• Judith
    edited April 2019

@NuclearBurrito Yeah you have some reasonable ideas and I am not against it. We think alike. I can't take people who just flat out say "remove it" seriously.

• GrootDude

@Orion I take spine chill so I can plan ahead but stealth isn’t my go to strategy.

• Orion

It is mine, though. In the PTB I stealthed a Doctor (yup, you read that right) right until the end. He got a single hook on me (Devour Hope, even I take a hit every now and then), and then I let myself die to the Collapse (because I wanted to see it).

If you strategize properly, it works a lot better than looping. Trust me.

• OutlawRW
    OutlawRW Member Posts: 17

I don't think looping needs to go.

But I do think there should be fewer "safe" loops, shorter loops, no infinites, a higher variety of loop types, and a higher amount of possible loop spawn locations.

This way, while looping remains an effective strategy; Survivors need to be knowledgeable about the best ways to loop, the maps offer more variety forcing both Survivor and Killer to be aware of where and what loops are good each game, and Killers aren't always at a disadvantage when engaging in a loop.

• GrootDude

@Orion I’ve also stealthed plenty of doctors. I think a good mix of both is better than just one of them.

• MrDardon

Looping is just the fact that you love chases, mindgame and outplay your opponent.

Stealthing is the fact that you love... stealth I guess, you enjoy hiding and not being found. I love chasing and mindgame but I still find it satisfying when I can stealth around someone.

• Orion
  • Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

Of course, if we could balance the game around this change,that would be wonderful.

Looping is cancer to deal with,but its the best option the survivors have to...survive.

• GrootDude

To each their own I guess. I personally find both stealth and looping fun. But that’s just my opinion.

• Orion

Looping does not involve mindgames. Can't mindgame if all you're doing is running in circles.

Stealth is also not just "hiding". You need to juke, break LoS, plan ahead, do a bunch of crap.

• MrDardon

It's one of two options:

Loop aka chase or Stealth

stealth won't work all the time but with the right build and playstyle it can do more damage to the Killer than looping. Looping/pallets shouldn't go but be adjusted a bit. There are many busted loops on many maps, safe pallets. I won't mention the Coldwind Farm loops because they're getting adjusted with the mid chapter patch

• Orion

Some people don't like running in circles all day and pretend mindgames are happening.

• stringcheese
    stringcheese Member Posts: 11

good idea, lets add another buff to killer. shutup and git gud. its not hard to counter looping if you're good

• MrDardon

I don't have a problem with looping when playing Killer. I know how to anti loop and how to force pallets down earlier. And I bet every Killer can confirm that running in circles is more fun than just running around and finding no one.

And also, actual loops where there are no LoS blockers aren't that hard loops either. It's usually a pallet which is gone in a few seconds.

• Orion

I didn't say anything about how difficult it is to counter looping. I just think it's boring being on a hamster wheel. I play both sides.

• ScottJund
    ScottJund Member Posts: 1,115

Except most loops aren't circles. They are tiles with LOS breakers that grant the ability to mindgame. Its how some players are better than others.