Why is Looping a Big Deal?

Options
MousyBousy
MousyBousy Member Posts: 8
edited June 2019 in General Discussions

Note: This is a genuine question that I want to dig deep into and friendly work out the pros and cons about. If I’m in any way condescending, I apologize. Honestly, not trying to start a fight.

Yes, I am a noob. I downloaded the game today, spent an hour reading the manuals, then jumped into gameplay for probably six hours straight. The game’s just got me hooked (get it? Sorry I’ll exit-).

But I do know that the community has a somewhat controversial view on looping, the same for tunneling and those dirty tactics. I’m confused on why looping is such a big problem with the killers however; it’s fairly easy to counteract it.

You can simply pretend like you fell bait and go over there, but then quickly turn around and go back. They vault right into your waiting arms, and from experience in the few rounds I’ve played, they do this often. Seriously. I got my first kill because of it; he kept trying to loop me but I would always backtrack halfway through and get him. I even have video footage.

With this in mind, it’s also a possibility to give up on them. I know, it’s our duty as killers to hang up those little sneakers... but if you need to choose between gens being fixed or trying to get the survivor, well, usually the gens are a higher priority, aren’t they?

So again, sorry if it seems like I’m acting like a know-it-all, but I’m genuinely baffled on why the community feels that looping is a toxic strategy they hate with a passion. (Well... Yes, it is toxic, but point is that you can easily counter-act it, can you not?)

————

Original:

I honestly do not see the problem with looping. Sure, it’s a jerk move, but you can easily counter it. In fact, downloaded the game today, and after the one+ hour spent reading the manuals and whatnot of the game, I jumped in. Played a round with Ghosti-Boy, got used to his mechanics. Didn’t get a kill but frankly, I’m playing this for the fun of hunting, the thrill of the chase! (Maybe I’m a little sadistic...)

Second round I actually failed miserably, didn’t hit a single survivor. But I am a newbie against a SWF group of 4... playing as Ghosti-Boy... what should I have expected?

But the third round was special. I finally ran into someone who would loop around... or tried to.

See, the solution to looping is easy. Either 1: Ditch them (especially if you’ve already hit them and a gen just got fixed) or 2: Make as if you’re going to go to the other side, then quickly turn around and go back. Whack em as they slide over.

Honestly, I got my first kill in a 2k game because of people doing this. They tried to loop me, but I would simply do #2. The next few rounds this worked so many times, it was ridiculous. Instead of being smart and strategic, (and I’m being blunt here, no hard feelings!) it seems like most of the killers prefer to complain rather than score an easy hit/kill.

So, really. What seems to be the problem to it, when you can easily counter-act it?

Post edited by MousyBousy on

Comments

• MousyBousy
    Options

No, I am not in any way saying that I know better. I’m not stupid. But I am a noob to this game, which is why I even pointed it out in the first place.

The thing is, literally it’s easy to counteract the looping solution. So it’s a genuine question :/

• MousyBousy
    Options

Nope, I play on console... probably would take a ridiculously long time anyways. Yes, I’m a noob. I’m addressing that by saying flat out I’m new to the game (although I’ve seen several gameplays, still one). And to answer your other post, I have been using Ghosti-Boy... or as his game name is, Ghost Face. I’m not teleporting to reach them. I’m literally just acting like I’m going to their side, then quickly returning back to where I was to see them vault into my grips. It’s fairly simple process, too.

• MousyBousy
    Options

You are correct, with both of your points. My tone did come off as condescending, I apologize and shall change it. And looping does take much experience, just like everything else in the game.

But that’s not the question/topic: I’m just genuinely confused on why people get so triggered about looping? It really seems to me you can simply trick them and score an easy kill as they vault into your arms. Without a teleporting killer.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

It's not the looping that sets them off (though it is sometimes the focus). It's usually more about bad map design really. When you get into a loop, a good survivor will typically not fall for simple tricks. Then if they know how to maximize the loop they can waste alot of time. This leaves you the option to chase or leave. Both can be painful as they are wasted time.

• MousyBousy
    Options

Fair enough. I thought I played more than enough rounds but I suppose not. Oh who am I kidding, I definitely have not lol

• MousyBousy
    edited July 2019
    Options

Ok, one, I want to ask just how you managed to type that much in so little time... no, really? That was recording breaking time.

And second, fair enough. I see your point, it is possible they were all noobs. I suppose I shall thank you for showing me reasons why it isn’t effective and, you know, shooting me down? (I’m not good with words, is it obvious? I hope not, hah.)

But really. I’m sorry for the smart-@$$ tone I believe I had with you, and this post in general.

Post edited by ceridwen309 on
  • MousyBousy
    Options

Ok, one, I want to ask just how you managed to type that much in so little time... no, really? That was recording breaking time.

And second, fair enough. I see your point, it is possible they were all noobs. I suppose I shall thank you for showing me reasons why it isn’t effective and, you know, shooting me down? (I’m not good with words, is it obvious? I hope not, hah.)

But really. I’m sorry for the smart-@$$ tone I believe I had with you, and this post in general.

• ZacKskills
    ZacKskills Member Posts: 79
    Options

Because This game just has a bunch of cry baby killer mains that’s why. (Rank 1 survivor and rank 1 killer talking here)

• Pierpalle
    Pierpalle Member Posts: 23
    Options

Man, survivors who play at red ranks don't fall for those stupid mindgames but they always keep an eye on the killer when they loop and if they don't see him anymore they know the killer is mindgaming so they'll go to a nearby loop or stay in a safe position.

For the question you asked: those who complain about looping are either noob or use loopable killer such as wraith, but there aren't many killers that are loopable in the game.

Hillbilly: eats pallets if the player is good.

nurse: teleports.

spirit: crazy mindgames, only loopable when she doesn't have her power, because she's slow.

hag: set traps, forcing you to leave the loop.

Trapper: same as hag.

Pig: dash attack if used properly forces you to leave the loop.

plague: vomits at distance+ red vomit so loopable only if you are in a tall loop.

myers: loopable.

wraith: completely loopable.

ghostface:loopable.

huntress: throws hatchets, unloopable.

leatherface: loopable.

legion: loopable.

freddy: loopable.

doctor: hardly loopable if good.

clown: throws bottles, forces you to change loop or go into the toxic smoke which slows you down and you'll get hit.

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
  • Redcum
    Redcum Member Posts: 261
    Options

So far, you've played against the worst survivors in the game with a noob stomper killer. Obviously you're having an easy time. It's really not that hard as a survivor to stall a killer forever with looping.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423
    Options

It's because most of the Killers can't deal with looping and just have to be an m1 killer, get run around and try to mindgame. After a while this sort of gameplay gets boring especially if there's a lot of safe loops on the map.

Wait until you reach red ranks and you'll understand how detrimental some looping can be to the weaker killers.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

It's boring to me.

And i find it ironic they want to incentivize Killers to not do boring camping and tunneling, but our newest Survivor came with an ability to only do more boring looping.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Mind games on pallets at high ranks will not work unless the survivors are inexperienced, On safe pallets that is on unsafe pallets feel free to mindgame to get a hit but on safe pallets many of those can be unmindgamable at high ranks The mind games you are trying to do as killer currently at higher ranks will simply make the loop an infinite.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    edited June 2019
    Options

Survivors can be totally blamed for looping. They lobbied the devs for it and resisted every single time it had a whiff of nerf incoming. They are not neutral bystanders who can't be blamed for using whatever the game gives them to win, they had a hand in the game being steered in that direction. 

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    Options

When you run into a sweaty 4-man SWF in red ranks on haddonfield with all BL and optimal loops you'll see the problem with looping

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696
    Options

Looping doesn't necessarily have to be toxic if done in moderation, most survivors will take looping to the extreme. Where yes it starts to become toxic behaviours and game breaking.

Firstly out of 16 killers there's maybe like 3 that can beat looping straight up.

Secondly there are some areas in some maps where it's impossible to close the loop and they can do infinitely.

Thirdly there was a glitch that was exploited where survivors could still vault through blocked up windows creating new infinite looping points.

Lastly when you climb higher in the ranks you'll get into games where all 4 survivors will a) be masters at looping or b) run to the infinite looping points constantly

I will sometimes do a bit of light looping but will only take it to the extremes when killers do the same with their tunnelling/camping

• KillermainBTWm8
    Options

They were able to stall the killer for so long because for one they were playing Leatherface I'd put him down with Freddy and also because of Exhaustion it wasn't nerfed yet this meant that he could be mindless and take risks that you can't take now he wasn't that good of a looper as you said. As for pallet looping not taking skill what does take skill in this game? Most killers are easy to pick up and even the harder ones are also mechanically easy skill more lies in fundamentals like knowing when to give up a chase and knowing how to pressure survivors in certain situations. Same with survivor knowing what pallets to drop and what pallets to not drop to help out your team knowing to not rush a hook. Survivor doesn't take as much skill as Killer but Mechanically most stuff doesn't take that much skill on both sides. Looping being in exploit? If looping didn't exist most killers would be called OP the way balance worked would be entirely different. Nobody likes looping that much don't get me wrong but the only other mechanic is really stealth and the amount of tracking perks there are currently makes that hard and top on that looping is more efficient than stealth play.

• DBDbuildsYT
    DBDbuildsYT Member Posts: 1,042
    Options

@Acromio you are so spot on about this! And you would add that both survivors and devs are aware that this an exploit but the devs are too afraid to nerf it.

But you can see how the devs are desperate about it, look how many killers they tried to create to counter looping,: huntress, Clown, spirit, plague all designed to try desperately to reduce looping.

It is such a problem in dbd that the only killers who are really strong have ways to seal with looping and have map pressure.

Think about hag, nurse, or spirit.

Survivors are responsible for this because they want to feel the hero of the story, "I'll take the aggro", it makes you feel like the protagonist of a film where you can defeat the evil enemy.

But this is unacceptable in a team based game where 1/4 of a team shoukd NEVER be able to match the single team member in a 1 vs 1.

With looking gone we could finally balance all killers and remove nonsense like omega blinks and insta saws

• martin27
    Options

Survivors do need a way to combat tunnelling and camping, but all 3 aren't being used as tools for a strategy they are being abused and should be taken out of the game or fixed so they can't be abused.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    edited June 2019
    Options

I'm not a fan of looping, but the game gives no any other reliable means to defend yourself. Stealth is laughable (getting more so with every update along with some killers will adjust their graphics to make finding survivors even easier) and mind games/losing the killer need some degree of luck to work with scratchmarks/blood/ever louder grunts present.

However eliminating looping and having the slaughterfest that follows until the devs figure out how to balance killers in response, will result in a literal die off of the survivor population. They have written themselves into a corner.

• DBDbuildsYT
    Options

Tunneling must also go, like a 60 seconds entity immunity, which expires if you start doing another gen, unhook a survivor etc

With looping gone, tunneling must go.

• DBDbuildsYT
    Options

Yes at this point the situation is grim.

The devs didn't contemplate running in circles when the game was made, once this became a thing they weren't quick enough to remove it and nerfed killers accordingly

• martin27
    Options

Camping, tunnelling or looping don't have to go they just need to be rework so they can't be abused to be game breaking or toxic.

Camping someone to death in like 90 seconds at the beginning because they were unlucky enough to start right next to the killer vs camping a hook once all gens are done.

Tunnelling the person recently off the hook when the other 3 are right there vs tunnelling someone who has opted in for an aggressive play style.

Looping a few times to find the perfect time to drop the pallet and break away to hide vs going to a place where you know it's physically impossible for the killer to catch and refusing to leave.

There are legit strategy to all 3 if people don't abuse the mechanic they have. Otherwise the only other option is complete removal from the game.

• DBDbuildsYT
    Options

I would leave camping out of this because it's a losing strategy.

OK for a complete rework, I simply think every survivor should go for a chase with the killer each game, long nice games with two hooks each and no toxic bs like looping or tunnelling, insta heals or mori.

Basically undo the toxicity completely, undo the trash that ochido and noob3 brought in

• martin27
    Options

Make it so you can't camp on the first hook, 15 min wait then immediately camped to death because of bad luck is cruel. I've never had too much trouble with mori's or insta heals

• DBDbuildsYT
    Options

Tbh I wouldn't oppose a survivor not dying until the second hook. First hook is just preparing for the entity, then you get sixty second immunity after unhooking to leave and heal, nothing else allowed or you lose the immunity.

With looping basically gone so many things can be addressed to grant a good time to all the five people in the trial

• KaoMinerva
    KaoMinerva Member Posts: 451
    Options

I say don't remove looping... Simply buff killers to actually make them threatening. I like to use Wraith for an example.

No slowdown on UNCLOAK. I'm perfectly fine with the removal of the speed burst in this case. This buff alone would make Wraith a threat. He can use this to mind game in a Chase.

• mansfieldm8
    mansfieldm8 Member Posts: 6
    Options

But u also gotta consider how the killers have steered the game both parties have had equal input, infact i feel as if killer is currently really strong. Like killers got the pallet amount reduced, who do u think nerfed ds? Endgame definetly killer, the devs do listen to their community, sometimes to much.

But take out loops how will the game go? Youll spend longer loading for the game then playing.

But mechanics like looping is discovered by surv needing a way to survive, surv looks for anew mechanic cause the killer is so powerful and they need to find a way to counteract him, where there is action there is cause.

As is the goal of the surv is to survive.

• DBDbuildsYT
    edited June 2019
    Options

You didn't read what we said until this point:

1 remove looping

2 you create a rule called "the entity wants blood!" which basically means you cannot die on first hook (first hook camping gone)

3 you get a 60 seconds immunity to leave the area and heal after being unhooked, if you heal another survivor, unhook, work on a gen you lose the immunity(tunnelling basically gone)

4 you remove insta heals

5 you remove moris and just give the killer an option to mori on the last hook

Then you balance everything on this new ruleset and remove op stuff like omega blinks, prayers bead etc

The whole idea is to remove toxicity from the game and undo all of the damage that ochido and noob3 did to this community by promoting toxicity and BM

• KillermainBTWm8
    Options

With all due respect people would leave because of this, many people including on survivor and killer side. Remove looping? How would you even do such a thing? It would be bad for the game because many people play the game for a chase aspect what you can do though is make looping less of a problem for killers by reworking maps and making less safe pallets that's the route that seems fair. The removal of tunneling would also be quite catastrophic limiting how people want to play. And the removal of all "OP addons" many people wouldn't like that either. Removing looping would change the balance of the game in such a way where people would call killers OP and every killer would most likely become m1 simulator then the game would die off.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    Options

Once again you're wrong. The devs don't listen to killers. They never did, and they probably never will.