Don't nerf Self care, make alternatives

As a killer main and an occasional survivor player, I know a lot about this game, and I also have my opinions on both sides. I've seen and heard about the ideas for nerfing multiple survivor perks. Most of them I agree with. Decisive Strike and Sprint Burst mainly are the most frustrating survivor perks to deal with, but I don't agree about Self Care. I don't find the perk frustrating to deal with at all, nor do I find it too strong, despite always using the perk whenever I play survivor.

I, and many others, mainly use it because it is almost necessary.

In DBD, you need to stay in the healthy state for as long as you can. Being injured puts you on the doorstep of death. Self Care is by far the most RELIABLE way to achieve safety in this form. Not only that, all alternatives are EXTREMELY unreliable. Medkits often only heal you once, Pharmacy and Bond are too situational, and so on. Self Care is like Brutal Strength before Freddy came out; if you didn't use it, you were SOL.

In my opinion, and from what I gather from discussing this with others, it would be better to grant alternatives to survivors, so that Self Care is an OPTION. For example, the following could be changed to make the game more dynamic in terms of healing:

Brown and Green medkits: Focus on healing yourself and last longer
Yellow and Purple medkits: Focus on healing others and last longer
Having stronger medkits would certainly make matches more dynamic. You would have a choice: Bring a medkit and you can use a perk other than SC, or bring SC and bring a different item. Maybe flashlights and toolboxes wouldn't be the go to choice for some people anymore.

Bond: Increase range by a bit
I know that some people like using this instead of SC, but it has a glaring weakness in that it puts your fate in the hands of your allies. Risk and Reward in this way. Bigger range might help to compensate.

Streetwise: Increase efficiency boost by a bit
Maybe having longer lasting medkits would give a reason to use this perk more.

Self Care itself: Remove increased self heal medkit efficiency
It might need to be removed if medkits are buffed.

If you've read this far, please give your thoughts!

Comments

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

I see your point, but I agree with @Dragonredking.
    The alternatives already exist. They seem ######### only because of the high standard set by Self Care.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Blueberry said
    So your answer to SC is to buff medkits? ROFL

The power level of survivors is so vastly above killers heads that they need to be brought down, not buff other things to be just as good. You shouldn't be able to 1v1 the killer. Pharmacy is how strong SC should have been.

Pharmacy is trash. Self care doesn't really make survivors very strong. Actually, it gives more reason for killers to use perks like NC and Caulrophobia. And I don't see how Self Care helps survivors 1v1 the killer. Sprint Burst does. DS does.

Self care makes a survivor solo capable. In a world where survivors don't have SC,  thy actually need to find each other first before someone is healed which takes a massive amount of time. 

SC is the strongest perk by far in the game, but that's only my opinion.
    You only don't experience it  Las frustrating , cause you don't feel the direct impact like Ds, you I guess you do get frustrated if you are genres he's and the game ends after 4/5 minutes
  • IronWolf115
    IronWolf115 Member Posts: 672

@Yaboi_Gengarboi said:

@Blueberry said:
    So your answer to SC is to buff medkits? ROFL

The power level of survivors is so vastly above killers heads that they need to be brought down, not buff other things to be just as good. You shouldn't be able to 1v1 the killer. Pharmacy is how strong SC should have been.

Pharmacy is trash. Self care doesn't really make survivors very strong. Actually, it gives more reason for killers to use perks like NC and Caulrophobia. And I don't see how Self Care helps survivors 1v1 the killer. Sprint Burst does. DS does.

I think though that it is actually a bad thing that a survivor perk forces a killer to use a certain perk ( Nurses Calling ) just to try to deal with it. I think self care should be nerfed to a point where it has it's uses, but doesn't FORCE killers to use NC.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

Any perk that allows survivors to be self-sufficient and -not- have to rely on their teammates in a team game should go in my opinion. Sorta defeats the purpose of a 'team' in a team game if you can just do everything for yourself.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

@Wolf74 said:
    SC is meta since release!
    84% pickrate, do I need to say more?
    Self sufficient, unlimited self heals in a "horror survival" game?
    SC does basically counter Freddy.
    SC encourages hardcore tunneling, because survivor say "don't lose the injured and SC is no problem".
    SC is the core thing behind gen rush, because spreading out and working self reliant is key to it.
    SC is a force multiplier to DS and SB.
    The nerf isn't even addressing the main issues about SC; unlimited and self sufficient.
    SC got (baby)"nerfed" like 4 times and is still the most used perk.
    Any killer perk with a similar pickrate would already have been gutted month ago.
    Even the Devs admit that they do not dare to really balance SC, because they actually FEAR the survivor outcry.

^ This guy summed it up nicely.
    No perk should be that versatile. It just gives a so much power that it makes it a rather "mandatory" perk to be competitively efficient. Any "Power" perk shouldn't exist anyway. Perks should fit playstyles and strategies, not be picked "because it's the strongest choice"

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

Just bring it to 40% speed so it’s not better than normal healing...

• Runiver

@Jack11803 said:
    Just bring it to 40% speed so it’s not better than normal healing...

40% would still be better than normal healing.
    In a scenario where you're 2 :
    1 working on a gen (100% efficiency)
    Yourself, self-caring (50% efficiency)

You're actually working at 150% efficiency

without SC :
    You force someone out of a gen, bother him, put him as a risk by packing up, be unable to properly hide to get healed and such, and only make the efficiency to 100%.

SC also just forces the killers to keep chasing a target or it'll heal on the spot with 0 risks whatsoever, rather than having to wander aroudn, wounded, and find someone to get healed, and get in the above scenario

• Jack11803
    edited July 2018

@Runiver

“But muh solo players!” I think just 40% would go a long way

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

wolf and runiver summed it up pretty well. SC completely breaks so much of the game and makes hitting someone as a killer a complete waste of time unless you’re downing them. An actual real nerf to SC would also inadvertently go a long way in starting to alleviate some of the problem in how fast the games go as well.

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

Look at any other perk that gives free "heals".
    With DS you go from dying to injured, with a skillcheck in a very specific condition.
    Unbreakable, Adrenaline… both very situational.
    Also all 3 just have a one time use.
    Pharmacy needs you basically to start empty handed and first find and search a chest and even than the perk is limited, because Med Kits have limited use and it has a clear counterplay by using FD.
    Bond has a limited range and faces all the perils that Runiver already explained, because it will bind 2 player from doing other things and has a limited range, etc.

WHY is Self Care SO MUCH stronger than all these other perks?

• Runiver

@Jack11803 said:
    @Runiver

The game isn't heading toward solo plays. They're actually trying to close the gap between SWF and non-SWF, which is why they added so many notifications, will soon make the obsession to be visible by everyone, and such.

The only case I agree for SC to be necessary is against Nurse, because if you pack up against her, she'll just slug everyone in a matter of seconds. Other than that ? Pallets and obstacles are enough of a time waster for people to actually spread out efficiently.

What SC needs, in my opinion, is an efficiency decrease everytime it's triggered with an eventual recovery of that efficiency over the time.
    Basically : everytime you stop self-caring, the efficiency decreases by 5-10%.
    This way, if you actually try to heal in a killer's face and interrupt it to run away, or get actually interrupted because you picked an unsafe spot (or a pallet/vault spot to do so), you get punished for it.

It would basically force SC players to hide in PROPER SPOTS to self-care, rather than stand at juking spots, because the killer could just come back and interrupt the healing repeatedly, until you could barely heal yourself anymore if you try to do so.
    Basically : No more "I vault the window and SC behind it to force the chase", "I self-care in plain view from afar to bait the killer and just sprint burst away as he comes" and such. It would heavily reduce the cockiness of survivors and make self-care to be actually time consuming, eventually risky, and it would also make Coulrophobia an actual option against SC.

Even with that nerf tho, it would probably still be the most picked perk in the game anyway.

• Shadoureon
    Shadoureon Member Posts: 493

@Runiver said:

@Jack11803 said:
    @Runiver

The game isn't heading toward solo plays. They're actually trying to close the gap between SWF and non-SWF, which is why they added so many notifications, will soon make the obsession to be visible by everyone, and such.

The only case I agree for SC to be necessary is against Nurse, because if you pack up against her, she'll just slug everyone in a matter of seconds. Other than that ? Pallets and obstacles are enough of a time waster for people to actually spread out efficiently.

What SC needs, in my opinion, is an efficiency decrease everytime it's triggered with an eventual recovery of that efficiency over the time.
    This way, if you actually try to heal in a killer's face and interrupt it to run away, or get actually interrupted because you picked an unsafe spot (or a pallet/vault spot to do so), you get punished for it.

It would basically force SC players to hide in PROPER SPOTS to self-care, rather than stand at juking spots, because the killer could just come back and interrupt the healing repeatedly, until you could barely heal yourself anymore if you try to do so.
    Basically : No more "I vault the window and SC behind it to force the chase", "I self-care in plain view from afar to bait the killer and just sprint burst away as he comes" and such. It would heavily reduce the cockiness of survivors and make self-care to be actually time consuming, eventually risky, and it would also make Coulrophobia an actual option against SC.

Even with that nerf tho, it would probably still be the most picked perk in the game anyway.

Self care will be nerfed that when you heal yourself without a kit and stop you lose the complete progression. Look at the official youtube channel once in a while and you wouldnt need to write this wall of text.

• Jack11803

@Shadoureon said:

@Runiver said:

@Jack11803 said:
    @Runiver

Self care will be nerfed that when you heal yourself without a kit and stop you lose the complete progression. Look at the official youtube channel once in a while and you wouldnt need to write this wall of text.

We're aware. I think that should have a 5 second delay, with it instant, there will be no more team healing after a bit of self care

• Runiver

@Shadoureon said:

@Runiver said:

@Jack11803 said:
    @Runiver

I know all of this, since I'm the one that discussed about that nerf with Horvath (and Jeff) back in the days and he asked us for feedback about this change on discord.
    Doesn't change the fact that the perk will still be a mandatory pick after that nerf, and suggesting more changes is an idea. That's why this change will be tested on PTB, and that's why we're giving feedback about what we think in here.

• Shadoureon
    Shadoureon Member Posts: 493

@Runiver said:

@Shadoureon said:

>

I know all of this, since I'm the one that discussed about that nerf with Horvath (and Jeff) back in the days and he asked us for feedback about this change on discord.
    Doesn't change the fact that the perk will still be a mandatory pick after that nerf, and suggesting more changes is an idea. That's why this change will be tested on PTB, and that's why we're giving feedback about what we think in here.

The reason I responded is because you stated that in your opinion something should be changed into something thats already shown in the youtube video and now you say you are aware of that video. Makes no sense typing what you said then. Could have just said that a specific change is coming instead imo.

• Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874
    edited July 2018

@Shadoureon said:

@Runiver said:

@Shadoureon said:

>

The reason I responded is because you stated that in your opinion something should be changed into something thats already shown in the youtube video and now you say you are aware of that video. Makes no sense typing what you said then. Could have just said that a specific change is coming instead imo.

Until it actually make it into the game it just empty promises.
    Also what are you smoking?
    What he proposed in his earlier post isn't the same thing the dev want to make.
    He proposed a decrease of healing efficiency (aka healing speed) the more you use selfcare, it isn't the same as sending there progress back to zero when they stop healing

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Any "alternative" to Self Care would have to be as powerful as Self Care or even more so, and any perk that's as powerful or more powerful than Self Care would just get absorbed into the Survivor meta of using any and all safety net perks.

Fact is, Self Care needs to be nerfed into oblivion if the game is ever going to be balanced.

• Runiver

@Shadoureon said:

@Runiver said:

@Shadoureon said:

>

First : The change I stated isn't related to the change in the youtube video. I want an efficiency DECREASE (slower and slower healing) as you keep using the perk. Which is different to what they say (basically, they want to RESET the healing progression if you stop healing)
    Second : These are PTB changes, nothing going live is promised.

• xxaggieboyxx
    xxaggieboyxx Member Posts: 498
    Self care needs nerf some people don't realize how crutch healing yourself really is but I play like 60% killer and 40% survivor so what do I know 
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited July 2018
    Even with the proposed changes it would still be used by every single person and they called that “possibly too harsh”. I’ll take any nerf we can get at this point since it’s pretty clear their unwilling to nerf it how much it needs.
  • shadowsfall42
    shadowsfall42 Member Posts: 201
    All I think that should be done to it is, that if you stop for longer than 5 seconds, progress drops by 15% a second, and has 20/30/40% healing efficiency instead of a flat 50%. The issue with self care isn't necessarily that it op, it's just that it heavily increases your life span and going in without it is heavily reliant on your team and medkits. None of which are as reliable as SC. However it's nowhere near a problem as DS and SB are.

Personally, I think self care should just be built into survivors as base, and reduce its efficiency to like 25%. There's a reason it's got such high usage, why not just make it base but have alternatives like medkits/team mate healing be a much more efficient and preferable to self healing. Then they could replace self care with a more interesting perk.
  • akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

I'm surprised there isn't a perk that works the same way as kindred does but when you're wounded and gives bonus healing speed to other survivors.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

@Yaboi_Gengarboi said:
    As a killer main and an occasional survivor player, I know a lot about this game, and I also have my opinions on both sides. I've seen and heard about the ideas for nerfing multiple survivor perks. Most of them I agree with. Decisive Strike and Sprint Burst mainly are the most frustrating survivor perks to deal with, but I don't agree about Self Care. I don't find the perk frustrating to deal with at all, nor do I find it too strong, despite always using the perk whenever I play survivor.

In DBD, you need to stay in the healthy state for as long as you can. Being injured puts you on the doorstep of death. Self Care is by far the most RELIABLE way to achieve safety in this form. Not only that, all alternatives are EXTREMELY unreliable. Medkits often only heal you once, Pharmacy and Bond are too situational, and so on. Self Care is like Brutal Strength before Freddy came out; if you didn't use it, you were SOL.

In my opinion, and from what I gather from discussing this with others, it would be better to grant alternatives to survivors, so that Self Care is an OPTION. For example, the following could be changed to make the game more dynamic in terms of healing:

Having stronger medkits would certainly make matches more dynamic. You would have a choice: Bring a medkit and you can use a perk other than SC, or bring SC and bring a different item. Maybe flashlights and toolboxes wouldn't be the go to choice for some people anymore.

I know that some people like using this instead of SC, but it has a glaring weakness in that it puts your fate in the hands of your allies. Risk and Reward in this way. Bigger range might help to compensate.

The problem with this idea is by buffing medkits you are effectively giving survivors another free perk slot. Self care should simply have charges or a cooldown to make "stealth" a more viable option. If you keep buffing other things to offset the balance of 1 perk you add so much power to the overall selection.

• Karkadann
    Karkadann Member Posts: 56

I see no sense here. If I do not complete an action why should I not get punished for aborting the action? If I do not wait until the animation is done for other things, like rescuing or kicking, I also have to start all over again.

• Timebomb0800
    Timebomb0800 Member Posts: 80

@Dragonredking said:
    You can give them one thousand alternative if you want and they'll still use selfcare if it isn't nerfed in some way.
    Because not only does it have unlimited stack unlike medkit but it also negate the need of a teammate to heal you.
    The only way to have people move out of selfcare is either to give them a perk that is even better than it or nerf it.
    Self care as been meta since the game got released and it's time to stop.
    The survivor meta is sooooooo [BAD WORD] stall
    Having a game with even only one person not running it is like spotting an unicorn.

What if self care had a limit? For example, can be used to heal you for for 3 full health states? (obviously can't be used to heal from dying state still) Number could be tweaked slightly, but I feel like 3 or maybe 4 at most would be a good healthy number for it at rank 3 perk. Could increase as you level the perk up? e.g rank 1 could be 2 full health states, 3 for rank 2, 4 for rank 3. Also give it a small use bar on the side by the perk, to show much how much self healing power it has left? My thoughts with this is that you could heal yourself halfway to healthy, and then if you find a teammate, get them to heal you the rest of the way, and you'd still have 2.5 health state recoveries left. So it could be a small bar by the perk, with a 3 at the top, the bar depletes as you heal up one full health state. So say you get injure, you have self care, you have a tiny full white bar next to the perk with the number 3 on it. You start healing you self and the bar depletes going from 3 to 2.9, 2.8, 2.7 etc until it empties once you've healed yourself, it resets, then becomes full again with the number 2 at the top. The next time you're injured, you heal yourself halfway, then get another survivor to heal the rest of the way. Your bar is sitting there half full with the number 1.5 on it. You have 1.5 health states of self recovery left.

Just my thoughts on it.

• think we should add plants that Claudette recognizes from our realm that can remedy a wound. The Entity is pumping up their game and wanting our group of Survivors to feel a bit of hope to continue it twisted game. From now on plants will spawn in Dead by Daylight that you can use to heal yourself to full or heal you to x amount. if you Have Botany Knowledge, you can use these plants to heal yourself to full. If not, you can heal yourself a bit past the Self Care Cap. The healing speed depends yet it will be VERY MUCH FASTER with Botany Knowledge. the Spawns have a spawn time, the plants require a skillchecks, if you fail skillchecks, the Killer will be notified because you pricked your finger and something and went " ow" or something. The killer can also see the plants once they go past them and there will be stages where you can tell if survivors where there. If you plant just got used just then, you will see a single survivor footprint in the delicate soil or if the survivor was injured using the plant their blood will stain it for x amount of time.. YOU CANNOT USE THE PLANTS IF YOU HAVE SELF CARE AS A PERK! I believe adding these plants would change up the meta and make the game more interesting.

• RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258

@Yaboi_Gengarboi said:

It is a nice buff to those alternatives!~Now there will be more medkits, less SC. One free perk slot for survivors, can you imagine?

• M2Fream
    M2Fream Member Posts: 288
    I proposed an idea where you get SC charges back based on hitting great skillchecks.

You start with 6/7/8 charges and can hold up to 12/14/16 charges. Each time you hit a great skillcheck (ruin included) you will get charges back.
    Level 1: 1 charge and a 20% chance for 2 charges
    Level 2:  1 charge and a 40% chance for 2 charges
    Level 3: 1 charge and a 60% chance for 2 charges

This rework is perfect:
    1) Healing is based more on skill
    2) Healing is still infinate, but cannot be abused
    3) Encourages other perks such as botany knowledge, steakout and this is not happening
  • Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998
    edited July 2018

What I want to see from Self-Care, now that killers look like they're getting some love (if things keep up in this direction anyway):

• Self-Care is no longer a perk, but a built-in feature
    • Self-Care skill checks will no longer wake survivors up
    • Self-Care takes 30-45 seconds to fully heal yourself
    • Self-Care healing progress resets if you're interrupted

Basically, nerf self-care hard, but make it a feature that no longer requires a perk slot. You can still use it if you need to, but having a survivor heal you will be far more efficient and reliable. Under this system, medkits would still be amazing since they wont have those downsides and take the usual amount of time to heal (12s base I think?).

• yugidragon
    yugidragon Member Posts: 18

I personally think nerfing selfcare to a point where it's not advantageous enough, like 30% healing speed. That would give the killer a decent time to control the gen rush.

Since selfcare is 50% healing speed it's not really disadvantageous to use it, since your team can still keep doing generators while you heal.

That would encourage people to use perks like bond and empathy rather than selfcare, this way they could heal faster and don't lose so much time.