The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Making David King Homosexual

Comments

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

I want to make it clear that I have no problem with LGBT characters and there are a lot of characters that I really like who happen to be LGBT. I'm just concerned about how this would be handled. If they do it properly, then I'll be fine with it. If they make a huge deal out of it, I'll suspect them of pandering.

I was not aware that they have already stated that there's an LGBT character in the game, however. If that's the case, then I'll be a little more okay with it, so long as they handle it properly.

My views are a bit more moderate than I let on. I tried to offer a perspective of people who would be more opposed to David being gay than I would. I personally don't mind it at all, but what I do care about is whether they're gonna use the fact that he's gay to gain approval and more sales. But I'm probably worrying too much. I'm sure BHVR can handle it well. Their business practices so far have been more acceptable than many of the major publishers.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

@Yung_Slug Your point makes sense and is very realistic but I also feel like you've massively overplayed how many people would be outraged by a gay character being added to dbd. If there are people who hate a gay character being in dbd well they aren't really welcome. However you mention different cultures and regions around the world having different perspectives on sexuality.

Recently in Russia they censured all the gay connotations in the Elton John movie in cinema. I feel like if a big deal was made about the next Survivor being gay then dbd could be pulled from stores in whatever country. Probably just that chapter in specific. That is the only issue here.

You could just make another version of the gay Survivor for the regions which still frown upon homosexuality where the lore is censored to not mention anything about relationships and is assumed of as straight. It's just the hard reality that you have to acknowledge if you have a global audience.

I think it wouldn't be advised to reveal the gay Survivor as part of a chapter called "The extremely gay jungle" or something like that. Just pop it in the bio and let people go crazy about it. It doesn't mean they would come in a flower outfit or a rainbow Cape or anything. Just a little line which you can interpret as meaning that they're gay. Nothing stonewall certain because you'll be able to tell anyway.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I don't think which way characters swing belongs in this game at all.

There is no confirmed straight character, nor a confirmed gay character, the only one really confirmed as bi is the kiddly diddler.

Every character has lore and personality, and who they choose to ######### doesn't add to or subtract from that. Except, again, the kiddly diddler.

If you want a character to be gay, hooray for you, if you want them to be straight, no problem with that either, but they're just people, and trying to turn this into some publicity stunt about diversity doesn't really bring anything of value to the game.

Also, outside of taking a current character and bluntly tacking "they're gay" onto them, introducing a new character that is specifically gay is just as big an issue. As someone who is gay it's often very alienating when most characters added as a token gay are incredibly stereotypical, and many of us are very put off when we're supposedly 'represented' by people who are nothing like us because a sexuality tag was put on them. Oh a gay survivor? Yeah he MUST be feminine and like drag!

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Actually that first part isnt quite true. While it’s true most characters lore don’t mention sexuality there are confirmed straight characters. You have all the licensed characters which are all straight. Ash’s lore mentions it quite a lot in fact. Also the nurses lore mentions that she had a husband named Andrew before she went crazy.

I don’t think people are asking for a survivor to be waving rainbow flags and doing a death-drop, but something as simple as mentioning a their partner would suffice. Plus the Archives are right around the corner anyways, so we’re going to be getting more lore about all the characters.

• AshleyWB

Ok back on topic.

I reread the original post and I think many of us are missing the point as to what he says.

"I know one person's request might not be heard, but I know there are alot of LGBT people who play this game, and looking at other online games who have had LGBT characters written into the law such as overwatch. It would mean the world to us if we could just have one character who we can say "this game shows us pride, respect and love.""

It doesn't necessarily mean "let's make a character gay" but more "can we see some sort of appreciation towards people of various walks of life, backgrounds and sexualities etc from some characters"

Personally if it talked more in depth about feelings and emotions and stuff like that in some characters lores then it makes them feel more human and relatable.

I think having a character to relate to can make you really enjoy the game much more. It doesn't mean it has to be sexuality that you have in common. Like for example I used to do that thing where I hold my hand up Infront of my mouth in shyness just like Dwight does. I feel like I have a lot of similarities to Dwight and it's really engaging thinking about that.

Same can be said if you have anything else in common with someone in dbd.

• bubbascal
    bubbascal Member Posts: 316
    edited October 2019

"It doesn't necessarily mean "let's make a character gay" but more "can we see some sort of appreciation towards people of various walks of life, backgrounds and sexualities etc from some characters"

Claudette. Adam. Feng. You already have representation.

Here's a question: Why is this important? Why must people see appreciation in a horror game?

Don't get smart and go "WELL ITS NOT IMPORTANT PEOPLE JUST WANT TO" you know what I mean.

The answer: You shouldn't. You shouldn't be expecting a horror game to be showing appreciation for anything. If you are looking to fictional media to validate you, you need help.

"Personally if it talked more in depth about feelings and emotions and stuff like that in some characters lores then it makes them feel more human and relatable."

Being gay = more relatable now. Nice. This is one reason why people are against LGBT characters.

You're the same guy/gal who went and indirectly insulted straight people by saying they were "ordinary". This is to be expected tbh.

"I think having a character to relate to can make you really enjoy the game much more."

And I think whoever is automatically enjoying a game more because there's a character who shares a trait with them has twisted values.

You seem nicer compared to other woke/PC people so I'm more hesitant about getting harsh with you (in fact I find myself wanting to preemptively apologize) but it isn't important.

• AshleyWB

First of all if you are going to take something I said out of context then at least let me clarify before going off on a tangent. Also keep it relevant to the original point which was made.

• bubbascal

Yeah, pretty much as I expected.

"First of all if you are going to take something I said out of context"

Pretty darn sure I'm taking complete statements and responding to them. Of which aren't lacking context as a result.

And trying to tell me to "let you clarify before going off on a tangent" when this isn't a live chat and people have to type out full responses is foolish.

I also don't have to "keep it relevant", I'm responding to YOU and what YOU have said.

• AshleyWB

You're in a completely different thread from the one where you referenced something that I said and you took out of context and then yapping on about it. I suggest not arguing in this thread because it's already been heated here before and if you continue this thread will be closed.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Look, this game is supposed to be a horror game. Whether or not characters act certain ways outside of this setting is up for the individual to decide. I do not think this should be implemented in the game's lore, however. Adding this kind of stuff doesn't really help in the long term. Overwatch as an example did this with Soldier: 76, and that ended perfectly for them, didn't it?

@White_Owl summarizes it best: "Since when is sexuality important in this game? It's not mentioned anywhere, and honestly doesn't need space. It's totally irrelevant and it would be out of place to mention it only for the sake of representation."

• AshleyWB

I personally think if a new Survivor was released and in the bio it had a line about sexuality then it would be a nice touch. Every Survivor follows a theme we've got the gen repair nerd, runner girl, healing expert and the survivalist. We have a methhead, a TV show host, a reserved rocker guy, a musician maybe a Survivor who just loves and respects is near.

I think a Survivor with the theme of love and respect to everyone and everything is interesting and in no way at all infringing upon controversy.

It doesn't have to state specifically the actual sexuality and use it as a label.

It might sound a little dumb of an idea but there's definitely a gap for a 'lover' Survivor in dbd. Coming with perks which help unify teammates or something like that.

Just think how can respect to fellow players be possible in the game. Perhaps a new offering which benefits everyone. Maybe even just removing pointing, teabagging and other toxic stuff during chase. A base level of respect.

• Irvin
    Irvin Member Posts: 130
    edited October 2019

Nothing against what you are aiming for here but I have to disagree, there is no point in changing a specific characters lore to fit with what suits you or LGBT community. Maybe in future DLC we will see a character which will fit this role.

PS Nice Tattoo, I also really enjoy playing as David too although he is kinda loud when he is injured.

• AshleyWB

I agree with you, I think you can take and admire parts of David kings character such as his protective nature, his all or nothing approach and his determination to keep wanting to try and try (from his perks).

I feel like there will be an original Survivor who will more than likely just happen to have a mention or hint about their sexuality. Just a gut reaction. I mean they are running out of possible options which make survivors different from each other.

• bubbascal
    edited October 2019

Yeah, pretty much exactly as I expected.

Cherrypicking a outlier from a reply and handwaving the rest because it's the easiest to respond to...

Actually, you CAN argue/debate and be respectful. What you mean by argue is "agree with everything I and the other #woke people say".

TBH this thread should be closed anyways. It's not related to lore, it's a personal request. And you clearly want a opinion circlejerk if this is the stance you're taking.

Post edited by bubbascal on
  • AshleyWB

No...You do know that this thread had a warning that it was going to be closed if things didn't get back on topic or we weren't being respectful towards eachother.

This separate discussion we're having, let's keep it in the other thread. Also stop attacking anything I say it's getting annoying.

• bubbascal
    edited October 2019

"No...You do know that this thread had a warning that it was going to be closed if things didn't get back on topic"

Things ARE on topic. I'm talking with you. Arguing with you on what you're saying in this thread IS on topic, despite you thinking otherwise.

Things are respectful as well. I see no name calling or major hostility, no?

"This separate discussion we're having, let's keep it in the other thread."

No, Ashley. We are not going to move relevant discussion so you can maintain a circlejerk.

"Also stop attacking anything I say it's getting annoying."

Breaking down what you say is not a bad thing. It's a structured way of dealing with replies. It's easy to follow. If this is "annoying" to you, you must not like having what you say replied to.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

Lorewise, if not perk-wise, Kate is meant to be that person. And there's no getting around that if a character was added for the sake of adding a gay character, unofficially at least they would be forever known as "the gay one".

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that if someone can't relate to a character's personality without sharing their sexuality or skin colour, that says more about them than it does about the game.

• AshleyWB

I think dbd does a really good job at representing as many backgrounds as it can already. Maybe they can make future Survivors with a bigger gap for speculation about certain things. Maybe they can go into too much detail and it restricts the imagination.

Example Dwight has a pizza shirt, without his pizza themed cosmetics we wouldn't associate him with pizza 🍕. He wouldn't be pizzaboy. I think having cosmetics in particular tell a little bit about the character that it's for is a neat little idea.

The label of 'the gay Survivor' can be damaging which is why it's important to establish the core of the character then maybe make add the part about being gay in later. It can be complicated and it comes from player perception.

Example Say the next Survivor is a guy called Ben and he's theme is clumsyness. His character can be formed and people can think of him for what is says in his bio and what lore is mentioned in the perks. Leaving subtle hints and suggestions about his sexuality would be a good way to allow for interpretation and not give him a label.

• AshleyWB

Personally I pair Dwight with Jake and I get a little salty when people link any of them two with David. Honestly when the Devs apparently said one of the Survivors are gay, I think people overlook Ace. I don't really care if they confirm who it is but it's actually smart because you can anticipate it being whoever you like.

• SaintDenisSlasher
    SaintDenisSlasher Member Posts: 227

I know you knew how much this would piss people off lol

"You have enough representation! Stop forcing your beliefs!"

If any character in the game is gay tho it's probably David or Dwight (Meg is 100% lesbian obviously) when the archive thing comes out it wouldn't surprise me if we learn some of the characters aren't straight, especially considering how many gay people play this game for whatever reason. Of course knowing this community that will probably make anyone that plays that survivor a target.....Clown is also bi now that i think about. He'll suck on anyone

• AshleyWB

Omg😄 you didn't hold back at all did you. I think people could get upset/offended but I personally think humour about the topic can help to acknowledge difference. If you insulted any of my mains though I would have rustled a few leaves.

• gaydavidking
    gaydavidking Member Posts: 158
    edited October 2019

Heck yeah, OP, I'm with you! David King belongs to the LGBTs now and there's nothing you haters can do about it! *rubs my super gay hands all over David*

• AshleyWB

Literally a brand new account that's coincidentally called gaydavidking in a thread talking about a request to make David king gay. Something seems odd😄. Careful on how you phrase things, try to not to go overboard.

• gaydavidking

Nothing odd here, just new to the forums and recently made an account about a month ago. Haven't used it much besides upvoting in threads.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732
    edited October 2019

Gonna be honest, I skipped quite a bit of the replies to the op seeing as how I don't really care too much of the subject matter at hand, but I DO want to give my two cents:

Whatever the survivor prefers in bed as their partner does not matter in a horror game where dialog isn't even muttered besides Ash.

Politics aside I don't mind the gay folk, but I do mind when someone is made gay purely because 'mah diversity'.

That being said, if you want to make it a headcannon that David is gay then go ahead, it don't make me no difference. But just be aware there are people who want the King to be straight as well. DbD has done an excellent job so far in keeping the sexuality of the survivors and killers (disregarding the Wraith and Nurse) ambiguous enough that anything goes.

Also, on the subject of representation, I get why some people want it, but I don't see why it has to be important. I'm Hispanic, yet I don't care if there is or isn't any Spanish survivors or killers. I'm really attached to the Legion and Ghostface, but I am neither white, nor black. I enjoy playing as Dwight, yet he's white.

The point being, I don't need a character of my own ethic group to personally connect to them. Anyways, I'm ranting now, but it doesn't matter, you guys do you :)

Post edited by Shad03 on
  • SaintDenisSlasher

"I didn't read what you said because i don't care but here's a paragraph about my opinion"

You know ignoring that you basically just kind of....... Well

"It doesn't matter and i don't care what sexuality the characters are because it has no effect on the game" see this is true but THEN

"I hate when characters are made gay for diversity" but i thought you didn't care?

I mean it kind of goes back to the first contradiction you made (about caring and not caring), i don't think you're trying to be disingenuous or anything but maybe you aren't exactly sure what you care about. I think another thing that's really telling is that you say you have no problem with gay people besides their "politics" and ignoring everything that implies what it really comes down to is this, did you care about any of this stuff before a certain change in the political climate? And to add to that, are you any happier now that you're always pissed off at something?

Im not trying to be a dick nor am i out to change hearts or minds one way or the other im just saying maybe a certain someone took office and now everybody is pissed off at everything even if a few years ago they couldn't even imagine having an opinion. And that goes for most of America, national outrage is a bi partisan past time. Maybe if we all just chilled the ######### out and didn't constantly fight because of "politics" then we would all be a lot happier and "politics" wouldn't invade every facet of our lives even where "politics" are not at all involved. Like a guy being gay in a video game about being murdered

However, and i can't stress this enough, Clown IS bisexual. I've seen him suck david and nea with the same look of euphoric pleasure on his face. Thems the facts

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Again, I don't think it's relevant nor necessary within the context of the game.

You know why survivors don't have passive abilities? Because the devs said they wanted people to pick the one that resonates most with themselves.

For every person that feels more connected to David by adding "also he's gay" to his lore, there's going to be someone who feels less connected.

If it's never stated one way or the other, then great, he's gay to you and it makes you happy and he's straight to some other person and it makes them happy.

You shouldn't need a line in the lore to blatantly say something like that the same way straight people aren't rallying to have it stated that a specific character is straight to feel connected to them.

• AshleyWB

I think you've summed it up well. However fuelling the imagination is a fun way to keep people engaged and little interpretable lines are not all that bad.

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

Why not? What a survivors job is dosnt matter to you, the backstories are just text, if it gives some representation then whats the harm?

I get the arguments against it, but if you have not grown up lgbt its hard to understand what having every hero/culture figure/character be straight by default felt like.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

Okay, I brought that on myself. Let me be clear.

I didn't care to read the responses of the people who replied to this, that is what I meant with the opening statement. But if you are going to reply to me, don't open up with the wrong wording of what I said, it just makes me look more like a dick then I had already looked.

That being said, now your whole response is meaningless due to the entire shift of what I didn't care about. I'll be sure to edit my own original post in this thread so what I meant isn't left ambiguous.

• Fibijean

For the record, just based on the quotes you sent, I don't think he was contradicting himself at all. It was pretty clear to me that what he cares about is not whether the characters are gay, but why the designers made that choice.

Also heated political debate has been going on around homosexuality, gay rights, gay representation, etc. for literal decades, so bringing "a certain someone" into this is not only against forum rules but also irrelevant - both because of what I just mentioned, and because America is not the entire world and not everyone's opinions are influenced by the political climate in the US.

• AshleyWB
    edited October 2019

Certain things certain people mention are irrelevant and we should probably gloss over them and keep the ball rolling I think rather than have an argy barghy with them.

• SaintDenisSlasher

Ok but if you're telling me you're from a homophobic country and don't want to talk about gays because they're apparently a political issue, wouldn't you be breaking the rules and not me since i didn't actually give any political opinion or "debate" anything, i merely alluded to a political figure without any hint of detail of who i was talking about or what they believe or even where they're from lol

Of course if someone popped into your head immediately with that little context maybe it says something, i don't know im just a stoner

• joeyrou
    joeyrou Member Posts: 42

Why cant the lore just say like "after the breakup with his boyfriend he-- blahblahblah-- from being upset, now hes in a forest". Kinda like how they mention jane being under the influence caused her to crash and somehow end up in there.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

With all due respect, especially to the LGBTQIA+ community, this is a game about serial killers and supernatural monsters torturing and killing innocents who are struggling to survive. I don't think the survivors have much time for love and romance of anykind, nor do I think their status as LGBT would nor should change their experience in the Fog compared to anyone else's :p

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

Devs allready confirmed there is a LGBT character in game, they still haven't confirmed who tho, but yea their sexuallity should only be revealed if it's really important, not something that just show up like "hey this character is gay"

• Knuckles
    Knuckles Member Posts: 218

Do we really need to go here? Just play the game.

• AshleyWB

I don't see why people have a problem with a simple suggestion. I think the original post was a nice idea which explained how it was a bit of a stretch but still I don't know why people are being so rude about it.

Some of you are making it out as if talking about a characters backstory isn't relevant at all.

• mdg2018
    mdg2018 Member Posts: 153

making the character gay wouldn't do anything, yes they can but does it really matter? it will probably be in the characters lore/backstory but no ones gonna remember or really care since his sexuality wont effect gameplay, so he could be but does it really matter if he is?

• bubbascal

This. ^^^

I do, however, disagree on that America bit tho. If you've seen other countries... you surely know that the media in America in influencing them, right?

I will only mention one thing and then I will mention no more, as I don't want to get the mods involved: The Trump balloon.

That should prove my point.

America's politics affect the world. It is sad, but it's the truth.

• Fibijean

It is true, but not to the extent that many people from America (in my experience) seem to think. America may be a large global influence, but it's not the only one. But as you say, this is getting very much off-topic and dangerously close to the forum rules. So I digress.

• Neverdweller
    Neverdweller Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2019

Can we keep sexuality out of the game please?

If you want your character to be gay, it is. Its fine. Its your own thing.

I dont need sexuality in everything I do.

Stop putting boobs in my milkshakes and dingdongs in my yard.

• allychaan
    allychaan Member Posts: 14

Before actually going for something like this, ask yourself these questions:

• What does it add to the story?
    • What does it add to the character?
    • Does it change the character?

If your answer is "nothing/no", then maybe reconsider it. Yes, headcanons are fine and a lot of people think of David as gay already, but the devs confirming it wouldn't add anything to the story. Just... "Hey, here's a gay character now give us internet points"

Even so, technically everyone is already gay if you mean it as an umbrella term like queer. As far as I know, the devs have said that every character in DBD is bisexual, so I think you're going to have to settle for that.

• gaydavidking

"What does it add to the story" and "What does it add to the character" Why does it need to add anything? People are just gay in real life, they don't need a reason to justify their sexuality. And for "does it change the character", if David being gay doesn't change his character, then why does it matter to so many people if he is? It has nothing to do with gameplay so why can't gay people have just ONE survivor that's like them? There are literally like ten other male survivors you can project being straight on, so why crap all over gay people that just want to see themselves in their favorite game?

• AnthonyC2014
    AnthonyC2014 Member Posts: 91

Well to be fair, there is some confirmed sexuality.

The Plague- Asexual (Priests and Priestesses are not allowed to be in relationships)

Huntress- Asexual (She has the mentality of a 7 year old)

Laurie Strode, Nancy Wheeler, Steve Harrington, Quentin Smith- Heterosexual (They are all seen dating someone of the opposite sex)

Nurse and Wraith- Confirmed to be in a relationship with one another. Nurse also had a husband and wanted kids.

I really do believe some characters could be gay, it just depends on how you see them.

If you envision David as being gay, he can be gay. Sexuality doesn't make any difference in this game, hell, it's entirely possible the rose represents something in him that we don't understand.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

Here's my take on it this whole thing. Usually I'd say that making someone this or that just for the sake of representation is bad writing but it is very possible for them to do this within the story so go for it. As long as it fits in well with the story I am fine with it. The reason a ton of people have a problem with representation of different types of characters is it is forced so it just looks blatantly horrid. I feel like BHVR can do this right though.

This discussion has been closed.