Live Q&A: Technical Stream

Options
Peanits
Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,413

We're trying something a little different. We are in the midst of planning a technical livestream that will explain how hitboxes work, how they are affected by latency, and what we are doing to reduce the feeling of hits that don't appear to be close enough. We'd also like to answer some of your questions; and that's where you come in.

If you have any technical questions, feel free to ask them below! Questions related to theme of the stream are preferred (hitboxes, latency, dedicated servers, etc.), but we may take some other technical questions (e.g. How does this thing work?) if they are interesting enough. Please note that this is not meant to be a balance discussion, and questions about game balance likely won't be answered in this stream.

Rules

• One question per person.
  • Please try to keep your questions short (we need to read them on stream!)

Comments

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,098
    Options

Do killers have unique maximum and minimum hit detection ranges? For example, Nurse blink lunge range feels very long at times, but she seems to have trouble hitting survivors that are very close to her character model.

• FrootLoops
    FrootLoops Member Posts: 376
    Options

Would you consider a hybrid approach that uses dedicated server as judge and trial member systems as jury? As in each member has 50ms to vote on a result before DS rules on action success. DS still makes it's own call but can be overruled by the members

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

I remember you guys talking about how certain events (like crows being disturbed) were very demanding because of how they were programmed and you wanted to change that. Since there have been no other mentions of that, is it still something you're working on? If yes, can we get some detail (like which events are more problematic etc)?

• FabsRinas
    FabsRinas Member Posts: 169
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sometimes as Hillbilly, he swings his chainsaw too early when using it from close up. What causes that?

• rhodamia
    rhodamia Member Posts: 275
    Options

If killer "hit box" size was equal to survivors', would it help killers with taking corners and looping? Is this an option?

• McLightning
    McLightning Member Posts: 949
    Options

What, if anything, do you plan to do about people playing on a VPN, and making the latency/hitbox issue even worse?

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

When do hits register?

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,646
    Options

I am sure there will be many questions on this topic but, any plans for the animation enhancement?

• _VTK_
    _VTK_ Member Posts: 383
    Options

Can you explain the basics of the information flow from a certain client to other clients and synchronization process on dedicated servers?

For example when a survivor suddenly changes sprinting direction during a chase or when the killer hits a survivor, what information gets sent, where it is sent to, how it gets synchronized across all players and how latency affects it.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

Why are killer collision pills bigger than survivor collision pills?

• minehot
    minehot Member Posts: 69
    Options

Technically is there aim assist when you try to attack someone as a killer? Why does your aim move towards the survivor when you hit M1?

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    Options

Do you guys plan to update/fix hit detection?

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options

Do you guys plan on adjusting Nurse's blinks on dedicated servers?

It appears that blink timing is serverside, because a high and/or unstable ping can throw off the accuracy of blinks massively. Which makes her really hard to play on wireless, since even tiny hickups on the connection have a big impact.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,259
    Options

What causes short lunge attacks to miss when up close to a survivor?

Context - Right on top of a survivor and performing a short lunge. Attack misses even though the swing blatantly went right through the survivor model / Pill collision. Normal scenario is both players are running in a straight line.

• Witas
    Witas Member Posts: 477
    Options

Do you think it'll ever be possible to make dedicated servers close to feeling as good as p2p felt on a decent ping ?

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

What are you considering about auto aiming right now? It is hurting aiming and it makes the Killer flick and miss their shot or incorrectly target the wrong person (i.e. someone on hook, rather than the hooker).

• Hel24330
    Hel24330 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2020
    Options

It is easier for a survivor to 360 a killer on console. Can you explain why and do you have any plans to make it more fair?

• touchfuzzygetdizzy
    Options

Are you guys working on something to fix Huntress in dedicated servers? She feels extremely unfair for both sides since you get hit by hatchets that shouldn't have hit and some others go right through you.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

Can you consider to implement "animation priorities" into DbD? The idea came into my mind from my dark souls 1 pvp experience. Basically, the game has "rules" in order to decide which actions take priority over others. For example, rolling takes a higher priority than attacking. This means: of you roll and dodge the attack from your screen you won't take damage, even tho on the screen of the opponent u rolled slightly to late.

I think this would be really needed in order to fix the issue with dead hard, fast vaulting windows or dropping pallets.

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861
    Options

Console sensitivity change when?

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    edited February 2020
    Options

Why the hitboxes has a cylinder form instead of covering the body, head, arms and legs?

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Why does performance seem to gradually decrease with certain updates for at least some of us?

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    Options

Any progress on the various sound bugs that have been in the game for 2 and a half months?

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    Options

Why does autoaim exist? Does it work like a "successful hit" mechanic or something?

• Stitch7833
    Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632
    Options

How does the auto aim work? and will you give the option to remove it? i ask this because the auto aim will mess up my swings instead of actually helping me, i feel it should be optional so i dont have to try and fight where it thinks i should swing to where i actually want to swing.

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433
    Options

Do you guys consider making vaults not lag you back anymore in any possible way?

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
    Options

How does pipping and BP work specificly in terms of gens being done? I mean, early game, how many were done, etc.

• TruffleTurtle
    TruffleTurtle Member Posts: 614
    Options

Why does the hitbox for the killer disappear when they vault, which allow for things such as the window tech to be used.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Jasonisanicefella Member Posts: 377
    Options

Can we please reduce the speed of survivors turning on console? The sensitivity is too low and it may be unfair, especially on legion during frenzy. Thank you

• Every1poops
    Every1poops Member Posts: 63
    Options

How is the console optimization process coming along? Can we expect some major improvements in the near future?

• Parallax
    Parallax Member Posts: 273
    Options

Do you plan to rework OoO?

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

Are you still considering to add specific survivor hitboxes for projectiles? You've talked about it a while ago after reversing the Huntress' hatchet hitbox changes.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,800
    edited February 2020
    Options

will hatchets ever get better with hitboxes or will you always get hit by literally nothing?

• Kliah
    Kliah Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2020
    Options

Apparently Spirit is bugged, are you guys going to fix it so that survivors cant hear her phase while in her terror radius. Makes it really difficult to play tricks.

Or, are there any plans to fix the Hag lag with dedicated servers?

• Andy111777
    Andy111777 Member Posts: 62
    Options

Will walking through the killer in an animation ever be changed into having a collision ( window tec)

• Snapshot
    Snapshot Member Posts: 903
    edited February 2020
    Options

Technical question regarding Doctor's shock: So basically, when I shock a Survivor with Doctor's power, JUST before they vault, half of the time they STILL can vault.

I once heard (before dedicated servers existed) that the reason is apparently when they already pressed the button, the vault does override the shock. Is that correct?

Because if that is true, why is it, that the other half of the times the survivor is in the MIDDLE of the vaulting animation, the shock hits, and THEN they suddenly get pushed back, like vaulting in the same place as if there was a wall in front of them, and not getting the vault.

When I (the killer) see the survivor vaulting, the server already acknowledged that, or not? Else I would NOT see it? Am I understanding that correctly? And then suddenly, the shock hits and the already acknowledged vault from the SERVER gets aborted/overridden? This ENTIRELY counters the first argument...

So how is it really?

Post edited by Snapshot on
  • NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

Since I love coding games, I'm curious on what some of your code looks like? It doesn't have to be a lot, just a small, harmless portion you wouldn't mind showing because I want to see what I'm getting myself into! 😁

• Hail_to_the_King
    Hail_to_the_King Member Posts: 183
    Options

Could you please explain why survivor grab animation almost always stops halfway through and the survivor runs away? It's very frustrating when playing as killer. I was told that it was dedicated servers latency but I have had the issue before dedicated servers. Playing on PS4 btw.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187
    Options

Who came up with the idea of the dedicated servers?

This discussion has been closed.