Why is DC'ing looked down upon?

Comments

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Because you aren't the only person in the universe. This game is a 4v1. When you quit because you have decided you aren't having fun, you have just ruined the match for four other people. They might have been having fun. If you aren't there to truly play, find another game.

• GamerGirlFeng
    GamerGirlFeng Member Posts: 277

Gain 200lbs with all the snacks you'll be getting while waiting to bleed out.

I paid money to play DbD.. not watch YouTube videos.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    edited November 2020

The problem is that DBD is designed as a game where one bad/missing player can ruin a whole match.

• keygun
    keygun Member Posts: 311

I'm sorry, but it just sounds like you're frustrated with dc penalty, not the actual camp/slug/tunnel itself.

Not to be rude, but what other hobbies do you have?

I like to paint, and I do so in between matches.

It sounds like you're focused too much on this game, and nothing anyone says will compete with your desire to quit without penalty.

Other games also have dc penalties, are you in those forums as well?

Or is this just a dbd thing?

I understand more than most, but I changed my mindset.

If I get camped/tunnel/slug, i figure the killer is more afraid of you than you are of him. I laugh it off every time, bc he's the one with the weapons. All I have are flashlights and pallets.

Maybe try liking at it that way? I sincerely hope this helps.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

@GoodBoyKaru I said I was going to be a nicer person but it's comments like these that really get on my nerves lmao.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

I was playing survivor yesterday and played against a rank 20 hag. A dude saw Ruin at the beginning of the game and dced like 30 seconds before I found the totem. I thought it was pretty funny.

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

As a killer myself I don’t get why another killer would get mad about someone dcing unless they were going for a challenge or achievement like your just getting a easier game

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

It is actually an unhealthy way to leave the game because you are actively ruining the game for the other players.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Weren't you the one who declared that you would always leave the game ASAP against a Doctor?

• Chrisko
    Chrisko Member Posts: 288

It's either "most healthy" or healthiest. Not "most healthiest".

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

It's ruining the game for everyone else, it's unsportsmanlike and childish.

• MissUrbanGoblin
    MissUrbanGoblin Member Posts: 8

"If the game is not fun, then why bother?"

I agree to an extent.

I always tell myself that if I am getting frustrated, to get off the game. There's no point in playing a game that just gets me upset. But I will always wait to stop playing until the match is over.

I believe that it's incredibly selfish to DC during a game, in any capacity.

As the killer, you just ended the game for everyone because you feel like it. That's messed up, as you're essentially saying that your time and enjoyment is more valuable than everyone elses.

As the survivor, if you're going to quit out then you're essentially screwing the rest of your team. There's so little chance that these other players are going to win, or even complete their objectives. Remember, it's not always about escaping. A lot of players may be trying to complete rituals or challenges, or trying to earn bloodpoints and now they might not get to because you're not having a good time? That just seems selfish to me.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

this is his original comment:

this is the original comment and you could find it by going back in the thread. I understand why you didn't. but this one is the first time thta is mentioned. the point i have made no matter who is talking about it, disconnecting is against the rules of the game period, and even if the rules were broken by camping, tunneling or slugging two wrongs does not make a right. so anyone who wants to dc because of anything deserves any penalty and since the other behaviors that are mentioned are not arguing against the rules is pointless unless with a non you did X I should dc argument just does not hold water. it's selfish period end of statement.

• Freki

it was not added, the terms of use agreement has always included the rules of the game, and the rules have always included the words that make it against them to dc. but if you are really not sure please go to them and ask! if you don't like the game sure DC and take the penalty assigned, but don't cry when something like an isp drop or interent outage gives you another one etc. but if you're just going to dc becuase the going gets bad then go play a single player game where you can make saves.... where YOU can reload because it got hard.

• Gore_Nargai
    Gore_Nargai Member Posts: 77

In my opinion, quitters are the worst kind of gamer over the whole internet.

If you press play, then you play, if something goes wrong, well, u endure whatever you are going through, but you never disconnect, it ruins the experience for the rest of the members in the session, so if you do, it means you are selfish and self centered.

U may say, "but dude, it's the internet" In my opinion, your persona online is a direct image of how you are in person.

So how i see it, you quit, you suck.

• WestX
    WestX Member Posts: 120

Honestly, I feel a bit bad if I'm playing a survivor and one of my teammates leaves, but at the same time, they could just sacrifice on the hook and get the same result so I don't really care if they dc or not.

Like... if they got tunneled or had to go, or were just having a bad time then that's alright. I'm not going to go off on them for leaving a game they weren't enjoying, we're all here to have fun after all, no one's fun is more important than anyone else's.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

The "best" DC I've ever seen as a killer was when, playing as Ghostface (and playing pretty potato in this match), two people had already DC'ed (at least one wasn't even being chased or had been hooked when they quit -- they apparently didn't want to face a GF :facepalm:), and a third had died on hook. I found the last survivor, a Claudette who was injured, and I stopped right in front of her and didn't down her when I clearly could have finished her off right there, but just stood there.

I was recording for YouTube, and I said out loud "Let's get you to the hatch, Claudette" ... right before she DC'ed right in front of me. :shakeshead:, lol. I was speechless.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

The faster you die while being camped, the more likely your team will be camped as well. I would say the best thing that you could do that would suck, but help everyone would be to struggle until you die.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277
    edited November 2020

DC penalty still pointless because you can easily ######### on hook killer can't get easy way out they stuck.

• TroyXX
    TroyXX Member Posts: 69

It's looked down upon because everyone is entitled and you shouldn't do something that ruins their "fun". If the devs don't want anyone DCing then don't give us the ability to do it. This game is not competitive and never will be, everyone needs to grow up and deal with the fact that not everyone is going to cater to whatever they want.

• HarlowXRaven
    HarlowXRaven Member Posts: 191

Tbh honest tho survivors get mad either way if you ######### on hook or dc so it doesn't really matter either way someone gets mad. As solo survivor its not selfish the matchmaking is messed up so even at higher ranks you get sucky teammates you'll be at a high rank playing with lower rank players. Your not really buying time most times unless your playing swf most people will literally just sit there trying to rescue you. If your doing just joining the game it's selfish but otherwise I think its ok on hook dcing is ok too. Until the matchmaking system gets fixed.

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135

Everyone keeps saying "DC'ing ruins the game for 4 other people", yet no one is addressing the issue(s) that may have caused the DC.

The other players are all entitled to fun, but the person who felt they needed to DC isn't?

Yes, some people are chronics. Others may have finally just reached the tipping point. I know I did. The whole system got shut down and I went and organized Christmas lights.

• Yords

Because you are most likely ruining everyone's fun just for not getting your way.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Most people consider losing as not having a good time with the game

• JoeyBob
    JoeyBob Member Posts: 477

DCing isnt the only way to stop playing you know. In positions where I would normally DC I now afk or suicide on first hook instead.

The DC penalty was a 10/10 solution /s

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

do you flip board games/tables or take your ball home in real life when playing with others?

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135

So when the killer slugs, tunnels, and camps... that isn't considered ruining someone's fun? It kinda feels like people are really saying

"I truly don't care about your experience, just don't ruin mine."

Someone DCing, in terms of game play, is no different then the useless Blendette in the corner, who won't engage in chases, saves, and takes 8 minutes to finish 1 gen.

• Freki

but you do not deny anyone any points in that case. you don't just leave the match. atleast people have a chance to rescue you, atleast the killer gets the points for everything, AND you deny the killer more points. (they get a scoring event at the time and at the end of the game as well)

It may be ruining someone's fun, but it is not against the rules as disconnecting is. if you think it is against the rules to slug, camp, tunnel please show us that without saying it's ruining someone's fun, show us by quoting the game rules (you can find them on the dbd forums so you don't have to go searching all over the internet for them). if you can show us were they are against the rules people will accept that. but you will have to give us the post of the rules and the quote where we can find that so that we can make sure you are not just writing your own rules up.

Last night I was up against a trapper that tunneled and proxy camped. i tried to get him to chase me, we all did.... but we got rescues done, AND we got gens done (down to the final 1.25 gens (almost completed that 4th when he chased me off it and finally hooked myself once, i knew the other living survivor was being chased but i gave my teammate the hatch by attempting to escape three times, and then not struggling. they got the hatch. I didn't DC because of a camping and tunneling trapper, I just played the game out. why is it soooooo important that you just get your own fun and loose all the points you've accumulated and get reported for disconnecting, get a 5 minute time out with your DC? doesn't make sense.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

I dont look down on DCing, I feel most people that are are just parroting what the devs tell them to think honestly.

• Yords

What kind of slugging are we talking about, the kind that is strategic, or is just to slug everyone to be a jerk?

For tunneling and camping of course it can suck as well. But by disconnecting, you don't even give your team a chance to get out of the current situation they are in.

Also, the Claudette in a corner is still at least if anything really, is still making the killer think there is more of a threat from the survivors than there actually is.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Well some of us don't want an "easier" game. We come to play, and play hard. I don't want gimme games. I want to earn what I get.

• NekoGamerX

they don't get chance to rescue if then let go and survivor could run right to the hook person as they let go which wasted time for the survivor go there for the save like I said pointless.

as for killer when killer dc it like escape for the survivors they keep all points and bonus for the killer dc but the killer gets a DC penalty and killer don't get easy way out like survivors do which what the DC penalty was mainly for.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,141

Without a DC penalty, there were a lot of survivors who would DC the first time they were downed. Then the next survivor downed would DC. Survivors would DC out of spite to deny the killer the third hook or the completion of a challenge. Killers would DC if they didn't like the map. People complained constantly that they pretty much couldn't play the game. Players would disconnect to "punish" anything they didn't like. I mean, disconnecting because they were the first downed? Someone has to be the first survivor downed. If they consider that "not fun," they are playing the wrong game and should go elsewhere.

That's why there are DC penalties. Disconnecting was ridiculously rampant.

• Freki

and thus why you should give it the whole time and let the people work it and GET all the points you can. i'm just saying that if you dc you don't even give them a chance. and everyone says dcing is the best option but it isn't. it's the worst option.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited November 2020

Because it really ruins the game for the other survivors. If you can't handle getting camped or something, then you probably shouldn't be playing. It's not a balance issue, people are just being selfish and salty about it imo.

If I get camped for example, I hold on as long as possible to give my team as much time as possible. Whether they try to save or do gens (they should be doing gens if its a hard camper) is up to them at that point, but I'll try to give them the best shot they can have. The only times I might just let go and move on is if I'm very sure the game is over or if there's only one other survivor, because maybe they'll get hatch.

• NekoGamerX

pretty much done with it only anti DC penalty for killers not saying killer sure dc because they don't like map but I dc normally at the end game I just want out we all had tho toxic matches and I'm 100% sure survivors try to get the killer to DC for the LOL.

but why I say it pointless because survivors kill them self on hook is I had so many time I go running for the save only to have the survivor let go wasting my time going over there and they had lot of time left.

• toukent
    toukent Member Posts: 88

Sure it's selfish but I don't think anyone who does it cares. It is just a game after all.

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 905

In most cases it was a few that ruined it for many but there are actually so many people that shouldn't even be playing the game because they are sore losers. If not having fun means you got downed you dc, got caught first you dc, fairly put on deathhook you dc, missed DS you dc, don't like the killer you dc, didn't activate Deliverance before you got hooked you DC, survivors are about to win you DC, don't like the map you DC, get spun you DC, pallet stunned you dc, blinded by a flashlight you dc, lose a survivor you're carrying you dc, totem gets cleansed you dc. These are the reasons people have DC'D often and with little regard to their teammates or other players . Ideally you can leave the game when being griefed but the ragequiting far outweighed the genuine reasons people dc'd.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,475

social contract you signed up to play a multiplayer game, ruining the experience for 4 other people because you aren't having a good experience is just negligent of others experiences, just play out the 10 minute or so game instead of ruining it for others

• Friendly117
    Friendly117 Member Posts: 32

Nah, I don't think I will, if I'm not having fun, oh well, too bad right?

I think its quite illegal for these devs to add such forceful-ness to game where its unbalanced and is not balanceable.

In my books, dc'ing is good.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited November 2020

a large amount of dc's are from survivors, usually when the game isn't going their way and when they dc the other survivors have almost no chance of turning the game around.

there are also people who dc simply in the heat of the moment such as getting downed first, getting outplayed, slugged or missing ds, getting a killer they don't like to play against, or if their team gets outplayed and 2+ survivors got downed.

Their are a ton of reasons but the main issue is simply because a large amount of dc's are from survivors not wanting things to not go their way and when they dc from that it screws the other 3 survivors and makes the game more boring for the killer. As for the killer dc'ing it's not as bad but they should be equally punished since they kinda wasted the survivors time.

dead by daylight is balanced like a competitive game but is unbalanced in a lot of aspects. look at r6 or any other game with dc penalties, they are in place because having one less player screws your team and if it's fine in those games for that reason why shouldn't that kind of system be in dbd? edit: and before someone says "because it's casual" that argument doesn't apply to dbd since it's ranked and casual are combined and creating a separate mode for the 2 won't work because it would split the already low killer player count and/or kill off the other mode in a week.

• Ryan51090
    Ryan51090 Member Posts: 34

I would agree but if you disconnect because of a toxic killer or survivors then there should not be a penalty. Nobody wants to play with douchebag killers or survivors, which there is an increasing amount of.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,475
    edited November 2020

If you aren't having fun then don't play the game specifically if you are going in with the mindset if I don't get to have fun I'm going to ruin everyone else experience, you sound like a child who didn't get the Christmas toys they wanted and cried so then you got nothing instead and decided to throw away everyone elses Christmas toys because of it, because your mindset is seemingly if you aren't happy why should anyone else be happy.

ALSO totally not illegal what they are doing because plenty of other unbalanced games have even worse disconnection penalties overwatch, rainbow six siege, csgo with permanent bans from leaving a handful of ranked matches, and also you signed an end user licensing agreement pretty much giving them full reign to do what ever they want with your end product experience

In my books you just ruin other peoples experiences on a whim and are seemingly not stable enough to be playing this kind of online game

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Best thing to do when you're being facecamped is to last on hook as long as possible. If you have smart team mates they will finish the gens and leave. By dcing, you're giving time to the killer to facecamp someone else. Is it fun? No. Does it waste killers time and hopefully stops them from getting undeserved kills? Yes

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578
    edited November 2020

I don't DC, but I find it very laughable how people get mad about it and say it ruins the experience for the other players. You all make it sound like if you fire up Dead By Daylight, you can only play one trial and the game locks you out until next week. Chill out! If someone DCs, guess what? You can play in another trial after that one ends! I know that sounds mind blowing to you guys, but it's not the end of the world if someone DCs, relax and move on to the next game.

• PsychoticNarwhal
    PsychoticNarwhal Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2020

Only time I DC is when my Wi-Fi crashes or the whole game sometimes derps (constant loading symbol etc) I get annoyed with slugging etc but DCing because you're mad is childish, I play Yui alot cause she's my favorite. From what I gather a lot of people find toxic Yui players so sometimes I get tunnelled just for that and yes it can be SUPER annoying but I'm not gonna D.C. ima try to waste as much time as possible so my teammates can get stuff done. If they tunnel me I will loop them, use pallets and basically make them want to hit me so my teammates get gens done. I'd rather my teammates survive and slightly annoy a killer instead of DCing cause I'm mad I'm getting tunneled.

*edited for grammar errors*

Post edited by PsychoticNarwhal on