Your former "must have"-perks that you just stopped using?

Options

What are the perks that were part of your every build but for any reason you just stopped using them/ didn't pick them so often? Why?

For me, it's Spine Chill. Oftentimes it just made me paranoid especially at indoor maps because "the killer is looking at me" even though there was a wall between us. I replaced it with Sprint Burst and looking around more. On the other hand, I sometimes fail to do so and Ghostfaces give me the jumpscares of my life, haha.

Comments

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Stake Out before Ruin rework.

Technician before I bought new pc, because I couldn't hit most of skillchecks on old one.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638
    Options

Spine Chill and Borrowed Time.

Spine Chill was only there to alert me if the Killer is coming, I didn’t really care for the speed boosts. I found my solution by just looking around.

BT was there when I got matched up with a bit more Killers that camped. Now that I rarely encounter them, I don’t use it anymore.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Used to use bond on every build no matter the other perks. I now run aftercare on every build instead

• TauNkosi
    TauNkosi Member Posts: 282
    Options

Lots of perks such as sprint burst, urban evasion, slippery meat, and even Self Care. If there's one perk I'll probably never take off, it's spine chill. I'm hearing impaired so it's a great help for me to know when the killer is coming cause I suck at hearing.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,532
    Options

Probably Lithe. I still like it... but Dead Hard is just better and less map specific

• TauNkosi
    TauNkosi Member Posts: 282
    Options

You need to purposely get down then and use the perk offensively. Jump in a locker or act like you made a mistake to get the killer to pick you up.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

There's a few. Adrenaline I loved but I recently stopped using it.

Inner Strength is a perk I loved but I never got enough value from it because my team kept taking the totems.

Spine Chill I loved but recently I also grew away from it.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

Ruin...

Enough said

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

Monitor & Abuse: used to be my "I don't know what to use for a 4th perk" perk but I've just stopped using it except for Hag and Oni since it helps me with them for getting the drop in Survivors early game.

Spine Chill: used it all the time but I get more use out of Stake Out picked it up on the last "get x great skill checks" in a single match tome challenge, it's a really underrated perk and I seem to face fewer and fewer stealth killers anymore.

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

I used to use blood pact a lot because with my friend we could run shack loops on the killer for most of the match/until they gave up, with the speed boost. The aura reading on the obsession was also useful, especially with the heavy amount of DS users we are seeing right now!

I've interchanged this for spine chill and resilience, it allows me to loop for longer without reliance on others, plus spine chill is useful, especially when opening gates or commiting to a generator!

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767
    Options

Dead Hard, started using sprint burst after devs said they're gonna rework dead hard.

I expected to suffer from this but considering that i started playing the game with sprint burst i got used to it very quickly

Decisive Strike, when pyramid head came out it was useless to use it since every killer would tunnel and cage you. I removed it temporarily but in the end i stopped using it forever.

• 2LuvRias
    2LuvRias Member Posts: 352
    Options

Mine was also spine chill but for a different reason.

I began relying on Spine Chill for everything. And I never properly learned to counter stealth killers by listening for the sound ques(myers breathing, Ghostface's obnoxious flapping noises)

The result was supriseing. It didn't take long to adapt, and I feel like I've improved since taking the Perk off. I'm not saying using the Perk makes you a bad player, however it feels redundant after you learn to counter killers without it

• Gamekeeper
    Gamekeeper Member Posts: 47
    Options

I used to run discordance all the time

Just flat amazing information

And then they had just had to change it instead of switching the tiers around...

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

BBQ and Chilly. the bloodpoints are nice but if you stop using it you quickly realise how little vallue the aura reading has. You are bassicly only running 3 perks if you have bbq

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

Definitely spine chill. I have gotten better without using it.

• Exor
    Exor Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2021
    Options

On the survivor side currently DS + Sprintburst or Deadhard. Always ran those two since they are just very effective at what they do. Now I mostly just run WGLF for the BP and Plunderer/Ace in the hole/Appraisal for ultimate item stockpiling. I escape less compared to me running those perks but its still fun. Only had 2 games that made me miss running DS with the killer genuinely tunneling me, which did however let everyone else escape, even if I died.

On the killer side I mostly stopped running Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer/BBQ on my Blight around a month ago, since I both assumed that it will be nerfed anyway and since I wanted to become less perk reliant, although I do sometimes go back to Ruin/Undying/Infectious/BBQ for a bit to have some chill games.

Post edited by Exor on
  • Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

When I first started I remember thinking that it was impossible to play killer without Enduring.

• Uncharted
    Uncharted Member Posts: 136
    Options

Self care when I was still new to the game.

Now I either run inner strength or just bring in iron will and resilience.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,528
    Options

I'm still like that with Enduring, I've also got myself addicted to Brutal Strength at points...slowly weaning myself off that one.

For Survivor, I think a lot of people when they started playing (especially during 2016), Spine Chill/Prem were the go-to perks and we all played with at least one of them, often people used both at that time as well. These are perks that I've not used since, except Spine Chill for a vault build.

But the one perk that I took ages weaning myself from is Self Care, I've not used it for at least a year now but it was very hard to get used to not being healed constantly, now I often run with a medkit or something (quite often I run Inner Strength as I do totems anyway), but for sure I have to Iron Will on cos the character noises annoy me without it.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685
    Options

I was thinking this but it provides value leading to AT LEAST 1 down every game. What tracking perks are better in your opinion?

Depending on the killer I'll often use Discordance on top of that anyway

• thisisntmax
    thisisntmax Member Posts: 231
    Options

Resilience spine chill since vaults are unreliable and VPN killers/console connection is the norm nowadays.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

Bbq, loved the points, but I find more value in perks that help me in chase or defend gennys.

Spine Chill, unfortunately I had to equip DS. The tunneling meta is real.

• Zaonhort
    Zaonhort Member Posts: 101
    Options

When I was under a couple hundred hours, self-care. This was back before the nerf to it but learning to play without it at the time was hard. Now I don't use any exhaustion perk anymore unless I'm doing a specific build to give myself a challenge. It also counters killers that cause exhaustion addons to their power (like clown, huntress, pig). So I try to do more directed fun builds now.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

I don’t know if this quite fits the topic, but I don’t use Self Care on its own anymore.

I only use it occasionally, and I now never run Self Care without Botany Knowledge. If I have a medkit as well, I chuck that on too. Holy Trinity.

But I never use Self Care on its own like I used to as a baby survivor.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

Brutal Strength, ever since Pallets got heavily nerfed & its own numbers got nerfed.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294
    Options

Old Ruin and Whispers for killers.

Sprint Burst and Lithe for survivors. Self-Care for the most part too as I usually use medkits. But I still take it if I use a different item.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

Premonition. I used to be like "Hey i know where the killer is so I can run now." Switched to spine chill when I figured out knowing when the killer is looking at you is better info than when you're looking at the killer.

• Evelyn208
    Evelyn208 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Spine Chill, Urban Evasion, Detectives Hunch.

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405
    Options

For me it was also Spine Chill. But I realized that since I use bond, I don't need it that much, since I can tell most killers are nearby by using bond.

But it does come at a price of a little bit of paranoia from stealth killers hahaha

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405
    Options

For me it was also Spine Chill. But I realized that since I use bond, I don't need it that much, since I can tell most killers are nearby by using bond.

But it does come at a price of a little bit of paranoia from stealth killers hahaha

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

Self care, bond and iron will.

Now I use inner strength, kindred and detectives. I always run wglf I just love BP.

Killer I used to always run brutal strength with enduring but I dropped brutal for spirit fury. The others I like to run are nurses and bbq. I prefer info and chase perks rather than slow down ones. Sometimes I use thrilling or corrupt it all depends on what killer I play.

• Loki_by_Daylight
    Loki_by_Daylight Member Posts: 6
    Options

Self-Care for Survivor. I had a thing where I HAD to be healthy at all times.

Shadowborn used to be my go to for Killer. I hated and still hate the default fov in this game, but I feel like it's a waste.

• Karaage
    Karaage Member Posts: 340
    Options

On Survivor, I used Bond all the time. Now I abandoned it in favor of Kindred; better information and utility imo.

On KIller, I used Hangman's Trick all the time. I just loved it ;) Then it got butchered ;/

• HarlowXRaven
    HarlowXRaven Member Posts: 191
    Options

Spine chill and sprint burst when I was newer but then I started a new account and bought nancy. I love her perks and plus spine chill would make me very paranoid but now the killer can never find me in any of the games I play unless they are running bbq or I'm saving someone and they are nearby. Even then I'm better at running now I used those when I was newer.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530
    Options

Adrenaline. A friend of mine tell introduce me to Iron Will and since then I feel naked without it. there's SO many mind games u can do with IW. I love it

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554
    Options

I used to be a user of urban evasion in my early days of survivor. Now that the game is more oriented toward chases, it just kind of dropped off the useful perks list for me.

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854
    Options

Nurses use to be one of my fav perks, but with the gen rush meta it’s far less useful. People do gens injured a lot more now.

• Flawless_
    Flawless_ Member Posts: 318
    Options

Whispers, AND

A Nurse's Calling...

Most useless, distracting perk since Monstrous Shrine. It's so situational and more often than not when I see somebody healing I'm already chasing somebody else. Good players heal near you cause they know they can prolong the chase long enough, bad players go to the edge of the map which means I have to go out of my way to get them and it makes me lose pressure.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

Probably Urban Evasion.

Not that I don't still use it sometimes. I love Urban Evasion. Its just that there are a lot of other perks to work with these days that are fun to use (not necessarily strong) compared to when I started out. I used to have Urban Evasion in every build but now that I have more perks to play with often a perk concept won't have space for it and it's bumped off by Iron Will, which is a much more important perk to include.

I still regret whenever I go up against a Hag, though.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

technician then I stopped using it, but that was before they buffed.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
    Options

As a Survivor, I needed Spine Chill until I got more aware of my surroundings. Now only a few stealth Killers on indoor maps can spook me. I've also been moving away from Exhaustion perks- w/o them, I'm forced to learn how to loop better and its way less forgiving if I make a mistake.

Killer, I never really liked Ruin+Undying so I stopped using Ruin because of it. In the beginning I always brought Surveillance so I could learn how and when Survivors got back on gens, and before Undying I loved using Ruin+Surveillance all the time.

The only perks I still use all the time are DS, Corrupt Intervention, and BBQ (though this is just for BP, I don't get huge value out of the aura reading tbh).

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    Options

Bond, Empathy, Spine Chill, Lithe.

During Rifts, i don't run a standard build since you usually need to equip a perk etc

But as a solo i rarely play with Iron Will anymore and equipped DS after all the time i got farmed/tunneled ^^

And i usually use Window of Opportunity and Kindred :3

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

Urban evasion. In the beginnning the game was kind of scary, so I used to blend. Now I enjoy being chased, it's the only reason I play survivor

• LordVoidron
    LordVoidron Member Posts: 145
    Options

No mither, i used to always run it but it never appears on the Bloodweb anymore. kinda sad.

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877
    Options

Urban Evasion - Improved as a player so no longer needed this to be efficiently stealth. Still good against Hag.

Balanced Landing - Too environmentally situational. Still waiting for the nerf to be reverted by BHVR (not fully, but to compensate for the fact they fixed the problematic loops it was used in so the initial nerf felt unwarranted).

Bond - Figured out which areas of a map to avoid so I’m not accidentally leading the Killer to other (find too many people using it for the opposite reason though).

Detective’s Hunch - Eventually learned all Totem Spawn locations. Still waiting for BHVR to add a totem counter though.

Empathy - The more altruistic version of Bond. Grants the ability to heal other Survivors to death.

Sprint Burst - Grants 2 seconds more for an inevitable situation. Getting increasingly countered by new content.

Lightweight - So useless now.

• LSerpentine
    LSerpentine Member Posts: 140
    Options

Honestly, I just recently went back to using it, but its (cringe) urban evasion. I know, I swear I don't crouch around the map, it's just that I always encounter Hags when I play, not to mention the fact that I do rely heavily on stealth mechanics since i'm not the greatest at looping, but only when the killer is near. No point in crouch walking if its not essential.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824
    Options

Kindred and We'll Make It.

Kindred because teammates don't use it at all.

-They sit around doing nothing while you're on hook.

-They all hookbomb at the same time instead of 2 working on gens/1 on gen and one chased and one unhooking.

-They all come around to crouch around the hook when the Killer is camping. You end up dying someone probably ends up immediately hooked afterwards and they've made 0 progress on gens.

-They don't save you. One guy is running around being chased by the killer and the other two sit on gens while you die on the hook.

We'll Make It because so many of my teammates wave me off so they can self-care. I save them, try to heal them. They keep cancelling the heal and run into a corner. I try to heal them there and they keep cancelling the heal and point me away. I start walking away and they start to self-care. Happened way too much and I just stopped bringing it.

• LSerpentine
    LSerpentine Member Posts: 140
    Options

dang, i'd love to have teammates that use those perks. Its so annoying when people run off and wont let you heal them. I use kindred as well, and I feel you, I hate when there's a clear opportunity to get you and they leave you until 2nd stage or death.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

Kindred - I'd get farmed by teammates not running BT when killer was camping or left on first hook to die when killer was off chasing someone else. If I put it on it's more so to help me know player's locations when someone else is on the hook.

Premonition - switched it out for spine chill for speed boost when killer is looking in my direction. Spine chill has helped cleanse hex totems just that little bit faster and saved me after my swf teammate swears the killer is still chasing them.