The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

LGBTQ survivor/killer when?

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I have zero knowledge on CryptTV so, I'll take your word for it.

I was also more referring to original Survivors less so than Killers.

• Pulsar

And I think that's how it should be. I don't think many people will have an issue with that.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,742

And that's all we ask for yet people will still take so much issue with the mere concept of lgbtq+ representation

• Pulsar

I know what you are getting at, but something rubs me the wrong way about that.

Isn't excluding people based off of things they can't control how we ended up in this situation to begin with?

• Pulsar

I suppose that makes sense.

So it would be like someone without a medical background talking about performing surgery versus someone with a medical background talking about performing surgery?

• GoodBoyKaru
    edited May 2021

"Yes, As a straight while male I have been represented and "included" in most walks of life. You're not incorrect about this. Implying that this is somehow a wrong that I should be held responsible for, as some of the rhetoric in this thread has done, isn't quite fair."

I wasn't trying to blame you for it! Oh my God, I'm so sorry if it came across like that, it really wasn't my intention! I'm really, really not good with words, and again I'm really sorry!

It's not that it's wrong and you should be responsible for it, it's moreso that if you don't go through a struggle your opinion on something should be taken with less value, if that makes sense?? I'm not trying to say "Meh, you didn't go through this so I'm morally superior" or anything like that, I don't wanna make an Oppression Olympics.

"But the fact is that I don't care if the game has gays, Muslims, Democrats, Republicans, Christians, Atheists, etc etc etc etc etc etc."

If you don't care, great. Let the people who do, for either side, have the discussions because if you truly don't care you'll just vibe on the sidelines (until you do, which from your next point is if they're just used to tick boxes).

"The only person I've seen here who seems to have an objective and neutral understanding of this discussion is Pulsar. My argument can be summarized in one sentence, which he did very eloquently (and I paraphrase) : I have nothing against certain types of characters being in this game. I just don't want them there to check boxes."

But we've seen how BHVR have handled straight relationships in the lore- for the most part subtly. Felix gets one line. David gets one word. Nurse has a couple of entries but it's still on her and her descent into madness. We don't talk about the Frank and Julie tome, like, ever.

+ with the CryptTV skins they've just ticked the boxes. Technically. So they wouldn't have to do anything else, I just hope they will. And that they'll do it right, which I think we're agreeing upon wanting it done right yet arguing with each other on it??

"As for the comment that I am homophobic, based on nothing about me other than the argument that I don't agree with using aggression and insults to shame someone into "diversity" and "inclusion" (a comment which I see has been deleted, by the way), that was absolutely uncalled for. Tell me: Did I use the "f" word to describe any of you, simply because I didn't like the points I thought YOU were making?"

I have a feeling this comment is more directed at the thread than at me so I'll leave this as my only answer to it

• GoodBoyKaru

Yeah, basically that! If you don't have experience in whatever it is, your opinion should be held with less importance. Like a trained doctor vs an untrained anti-vaxxer on the subject of vaccinations

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

There's a world of difference between directly insulting someone and being unable to control whether someone feels insulted by another person's philosophy.

Though I don't expect to get any sort of apology for being called a homophobe, I will apologize if you felt offended by my argument. That was not my intent.

To again be clear, without aggression or sarcasm, here is where I stand: This game can include anybody. I don't care. It doesn't bother me BECAUSE I don't care. I don't choose Meg because she in any way reminds me of myself, or play as a male because I feel like that's the only way I can feel "represented". I don't CARE. I don't think of a person's color, sexuality, gender, appearance, or political alignment when choosing a character because it's a video game and, as I said earlier, I play video games to get AWAY from that kind of crap in real life. Now, before you get upset, am I saying that inclusion and representation is crap? No. I'm saying that divisive subjects that, as they did tonight, usually boil down to one side insulting the other one due to an emotional disagreement is the kind of stress that I don't need in my life any more than I'm already forced to deal with it. I deal with it work, I deal with it when I watch the news, when I come home to play a video game I'm happy to know that such concerns don't matter.

SO, when I see someone raising a discussion out of it, and resorting rather quickly to the defensive stance that "if you don't like it you're intolerant", I see a logical fallacy that, again, I'm already sick of dealing with everywhere else I go. If I walk down the street and see a gay pride parade, I'll clap and wave and carry on. If I read in the news that because of some city ordinance the gay pride was going to be canceled until its organizers called the city "intolerant homophobic bigots", I'm going to roll my eyes.

I'm all for inclusion. What I don't like is when calls for inclusion start segueing into de facto threats of joining the righteous lest they be condemned as hateful, which is exactly what happened to me.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

Well, Nurse's husband is dead. I think it's just meant to convey the theme.

• miketheratguy

Did they say that were excluded out of the intentional desire to do so because they didn't like the idea, or did they say that they were excluded because it just wasn't something that they happened to think about? There's a big difference.

• JustZed32
    JustZed32 Member Posts: 213

no

• GoodBoyKaru

Uh, word for word it's this:

Which can obviously be taken whatever way you want. I like to take it as a "We forgot about you guys, our bad, we've changed our plans you're gonna be included as well". Other people could see it as more malicious, of course.

Like I said, I'm really bad with words so my point probably didn't come across as I wanted it to

• Pulsar
    edited May 2021

Now that is another can of worms. Funnily enough, just the other day one of my black friends who I went to school with (his name is Hunter and he is studying medicine). He sat me down and told me all about the Tuskegee Study and used it as a reason why he'll wait to get a vaccine. I encourage people to check it out, it's honestly sickening what they did to them.

I have complicated feelings about LGBTQ and the community, but I doubt anyone would ever want to hear about it, so I try to be neutral and supportive.

• GoodBoyKaru

Honestly being neutral and supportive is all most of us (and by most of us I mean the good people because let's face it every community ever in the history of existence has had some bad people in it) really could ask for.

• GoodBoyKaru
    edited May 2021

Being gay is gross? Or trans?

Like, @miketheratguy was called homophobic earlier but I think this is an actual homophobic statement unless I'm reading it wrong.

In which case, if it is homophobic/transphobic, uh... Don't, I guess?

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Pulsar

I just treat everyone as human beings.

Religiously, I'm told to love everyone, so I try my best to do so.

• miketheratguy

Let's just start over. I don't know you, you don't know me, there's no reason for us to be at each other's throats about it. There have obviously been misunderstandings and I would like to dial it back. I have nothing personal against you.

I came in with an opinion already quite well-formed from other walks of life, NOT this forum, and in doing so I likely came across as more combative than I intended to. I stand by my philosophy, but it appears as if this wasn't the proper time and venue in which to express it the way that I did.

I became more irritated as multiple arguments against me basically skipped past what I was trying to say and instead focused on the mere fact that I was in any way disagreeing, and yes, I was (and still am) absolutely incensed that I was called a homophobe. I take GREAT offense to that for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I didn't intentionally insult anybody for having the views that they did. I never called anyone a lesser person, a hateful person, a "wrong" person, for having beliefs that differed than mine. And the funny thing is that our beliefs don't even differ. The only thing that differs is the way in which they're argued. Some see it as a kind request, others see it as an entitled demand. My point is that I see the latter far, FAR too often. And not just about sexuality, about EVERYTHING. I've been on this Earth for 43 years and this is the most miserably tribal political landscape I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. Everyone has to argue. Everyone has to hate. Everyone else is the enemy.

I'm not saying that this describes you specifically. I didn't mean for it to be taken that way.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

That’s a fair enough standpoint for sure. If you don’t care you don’t care. But others do care. Others may need representation to get away from oppression/discrimination/hate/violence because of their identity or sexual orientation in real life. It wouldn’t hurt you but representation helps to normalize these topics and help letting feel people included when they struggle with this in other areas.

and you have to agree people can take offense when you are using terms like „crap“ „feeling sick dealing with it“ etc. when talking about it. And it certainly doesn’t feel like you don’t care when using such a language.

and just for the record, I don’t apologize because I never accused you of being homophobic to begin with. I explicitly stated that before actually. And I didn’t feel attacked or insulted personally as well, I just pointed out that others may feel insulted by it. Overall it seems you were trying to accuse me of being too emotional about this topic when it felt like you were way more emotional.

• miketheratguy

I take it as "we don't want to take any sides on this particular issue and will leave it up to the players to come to their own conclusions".

Others might agree but I think that that's a perfectly fine way of approaching it. Again, I play Meg all the time. If they add lore that defines her as a post-op transsexual female, that won't make me any less likely to use her. My own philosophy is that it doesn't matter because the character's identity (or, if you would rather, specific details of her personal life) has no effect on my ability to enjoy the game as it currently exists.

• miketheratguy

I'm agnostic and I feel the same. This is as it should be.

Love who you love. Be who you are. But accept that everyone's different and that's okay.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2021

I don't want to add anything, maybe i agree with you, maybe not but you getting called a homophobe was a pretty ######### move

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

Oh jeez, can we not start this again pleased? This is about as original as the "Spirit nerf" threads. Every character is A sexual and not a single one has any interest in any of the others. There you go now everyone is represented.

• GoodBoyKaru

I see that last bit as being indirected towards me 👀

My point there was that if you don't have the experience your opinion shouldn't be held as highly than people who do have the experience, be it on representation or the benefits of eating healthy. If you disagree, cool. That joys of opinions am I right.

• Pulsar

Religion is what conflicts me about this, but I think I've made peace with it and found my own path.

This discussion has been closed.