The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Do you consider crosshairs cheating?

title pretty much

Comments

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

It's a quality of life/training wheels thing, a good player won't need it but a inexperienced player would definitely appreciate it

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

No. It's a QoL thing for people that haven't spent their life playing shooters.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

It's technically a third party program that provides an advantage. Now, in and of itself it doesn't mean it's cheating, because some third party programs are allowed.

In practice, it's a moot point because, unless you're using some dodgy app downloaded from even dodgier sites, then they're not scanning for overlays. And crosshairs built into monitors, or physically applied to it, are completely undetectable and available to anyone.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited May 2021

I would be all for adding it to the game as an in-game option or even an add-on similar to Plaid Flannel. It's something that can be replicated with something as simple as a tiny piece of tape on your screen, so there's zero way to enforce any policy forbidding it. Don't really consider it cheating, though.

• Chicagopimp2019
    Chicagopimp2019 Member Posts: 458

I think that might be OP's original point. If they wanted it to be in the game, they would have added it already.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

They don't want many things in the game then, even tho most of games in 2021 have them. Good old "It wOuLd bReAK tHE aTMoSPhErE" stuff all over again. Thank god they created colourblind mode at last

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

No. As others say it's a qol thing imo. I use a cross hair because I'm from the 90s and play a lot of fps shooters so a cross hair just feels natural to me.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Yes it is as its not part of the game. Then again, same could be said of using a headset.

• KlapzCheeks
    KlapzCheeks Member Posts: 171

Yes, it gives an unfair advantage. Its literally textbook cheating.

Since its not in the game but should be makes it not cheating? It should be an add-on but its not and until it is it will be cheating.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

not my point I just wanted to see how many people think its cheating. I use one myself lol

• Friendly_Blendette

so using good headphones is cheating? It isnt part of the game without them and gives a massive advantage

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    edited May 2021

No and neither does BHVR.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

It does not give you an advantage, anything you can do with a crosshair you can do without.

It makes it easier but that's not giving an advantage

Stretched res allows you to see over things you normally can't so that's cheating.

Added red glow brightness allows you to see it through some walls you normally wouldn't so that's cheating.

Technically swf comms allows you to know things you normally can't so that's cheating.

There is nothing that can be done more with a crosshair then without. that it's easier does not mean it's an advantage

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

I disagree with this, a crosshair on a Huntress can really unlock long distance shots that even a good or great Huntress player would struggle hitting.

• Hermit
    Hermit Member Posts: 388

To quote the devs, it's not cheating but you will go to hell for using it ;)

people could just stick a piece of paper onto the center of their screen, no software required. now if we are talking about external software used while playing DBD... we all know the big elephant in the room... :D

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

Nope, and I admit I use them when playing huntress. As an fps player it helps me a ton

• T2K
    T2K Member Posts: 635

You can argue about the cheating part but it definitly gives you an advantage compared to not using it. If you think you can get the same consisten/fast shots with experience or lining up you are horribly mistaken. You just perform better with a crosshair

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

100%. If it didn't give you an advantage no one would use it or discuss it. But yeah not cheating though,

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Yes very much so. Crosshairs is when accuracy is required. There is no accuracy needed for hatchets.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

If the game doesnt have an inbuilt crosshairs and you put one yourself I consider it cheating since you are using something the devs didnt want you to use, they would have given a crosshair if they wanted those Killers to be played with one.

That being said, its not a very problematic cheat and its usually done by very bad players who are going to get looped and dodged anyway.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Once you try out crosshair overlay, you'll never go back.

• Friendly_Blendette

So then is discord a cheat? If the devs wanted survivors to have communications they would have adden and ingame voice channel.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2021

For me it is and it also falls into the same category of not very problematic cheats and before someone comes with the "SWFs with comms are unbeatable" they are beatable, ive done it numerous times.

Those are cheats that I dont really give a damn because they are not as gamebreaking as moving 5%/10% faster, teleporting, stretched resolution etc, you can beat Huntresses and SWFs with crosshairs and comms but try beating a Survivor or a Killer moving 10% faster.

• NotACompPlayer
    NotACompPlayer Member Posts: 193

Does it aim for the user? No? Then why would it be cheating?

• Friendly_Blendette

Yeah its just by your logic of if its an advantage not in the game then most of the developers are cheating for using discord in a swf.

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684
  • RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804
    edited May 2021

I use it and I can't get a hit to save my life. Friend doesn't and she's a rank 1 killer. It's a crutch, but if you're ######### you're going to stay #########.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I wouldn't go as far as to call it cheating, but do acknowledge it provides an advantage you otherwise wouldn't have. But that's the same with other things such as users with larger resolutions and for people who turn up their brightness.

All of these provide an advantage, but all of them (except perhaps resolutions) are pretty much unenforceable by BHVR. You can't stop someone drawing a crosshair on their screen or from monitor manufacturers from allowing brightness settings, for example.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

It cracks me up how many people will justify cheating when it's an advantage they use.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

I kinda see it as cheating and I personally wouldn't do it.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

Nope

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    edited May 2021

Yes.

There was a long argument about this ambiguity in respect to no-zoom crosshair cfg for awp/scout in competitive CS in 00s, it was quickly banned from tournaments and years later blacklisted by VAC for pub servers, too. I stick to the same approach since then.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I wish there were a crosshair in the game because I don't play FPS and I have no clue where the middle of my screen is. As others have said, I'd even take it as an add-on or something so I could practice and learn.

I don't have a monitor that can do its own crosshair but, if I did, I would 100% use it.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

Cross hairs should be in the game instead tbh.

• theplaggg
    theplaggg Member Posts: 267

Technically it is cheating but it seems like Behaviour doesn't care.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

Yes it's cheating. You can call it an aid, a QOL improvement, training wheels, whatever, it's still an advantage. If it weren't, then don't use it. Have it be an addon, or an option in game and this isn't even an issue because then EVERYONE will have access to it. And please, with the tape rationale.

Anything that isn't in the game that gives you an advantage over other players that don't or can't do it, like using nVidia filters, changing resolution, unlocking your refresh rate, etc, is cheating. It's just that BHVR hasn't come out and said they'll actively go out and ban for it, so what does it matter except to trigger people.

Maybe it's the word "cheat" that people don't like that they feel they need to defend it. I don't think anyone would disagree that it's an "advantage" tho. Soft word alert.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

If by avoiding cheating we need to avoid having an advantage over all other players those on pc should only use controllers and cap our FPS at 20 in case we go against a switch player on lerys if we're keeping crossplay on

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256
    edited May 2021

I don't consider it cheating. I consider it dumb unless you have some kind of visual impairment that makes it difficult to consistently discern the center of your screen. Otherwise, you're just adding an unnecessary visual obstruction where there's a lot of visual cues in its place.

Comparatively, I consider messing with the color saturation to make it MUCH easier to track scratch marks and blood to be cheating. They literally designed perks to help with that, and I've regularly seen random streamers and video clips of people abusing that, yet the programs to do that are whitelisted...

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

You don't have to avoid anything because what I listed isn't anything anyone has been banned for. As far as console handicaps vs PC, that's another issue, and no I don't think it's entirely fair either, but it's what BHVR is ok with since they purposely added it to the DBD experience.