Should killers actually kill?

Options
Peasant
Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

This post is not a request for an absurd killer nerf. This post is a merely a query about the status of the community and the game's mechanics and point systems.

As a person who used to watch "He who shall not be named" and a person who has played my fair share of the killer role, I am no stranger to how toxic and bitter the community can be. This is especially true for survivors who can use strength in numbers to verbally (textually?) harass players. Knowing this, I've begun mass sparing survivors that aren't deliberately trolling me, but given the phrase "don't feed the trolls" I may even begin sparing them.

The reason I'm sparing survivors is due to the fact that when most of the survivors escape it means that they are more satisfied. If they are more satisfied with the outcome, then they will be less toxic correct?

I look at it this way: if a survivor escapes they get 5000 BP (+2000 BP if they get the hatch) As a killer I get 2500 BP for killing everyone. Assuming that I would be killing everyone by hooks (moris don't grow on trees.) I would already get 6000 BP from hooking everyone. If I don't kill everyone and only go to the second hook I can gain 4000 BP instead with the bonus of reduced post-game toxicity in most cases. In addition to the reduced toxicity chance, I also can gain more BP through the other three categories (Brutality/Deviousness/Hunting) With just 4 extra attacks I can reach the same BP as if I had just killed everyone (admittedly the total is in two categories but points are points!). With 5 more attacks after that, I can get the same result if I had just killed everyone. So as long as I can get 9 more attacks in after 2 hooks on each survivor I will have essentially the same BP as if I had killed them outright. As a person who mains Huntress this is not terribly challenging for me so I guess my question is why would I kill?

From my experience, not brutally murdering everyone, in general, makes everyone a little happier as the survivors don't get salty and you still get the points. All in all, it just seems like killing folks isn't worth it. Granted I run the risk of being gen-rushed if I fail to keep map pressure up. However, since I run Whispers I am almost always applying pressure to someone.

For all of the people who will just shout that the killer should always kill I'd like to point out that by not sacrificing the survivors I'm technically putting them through more pain and suffering as I deny them the sweet release of death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhKoxicQLg

What are your thoughts folks?

Comments

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    Options

Its funny you made this post. In the survivor section under DS nerf we are right now also discussing alternative viable and fun playstyles for the killer. If you want some inspiration just check it out.

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714
    Options

I agree with Blueberry's and Crizpen's posts. Killers are the tools of The Entity and have one objective only. There's a reason they're not called taggers, point-farmers, entertainers or delayers.

This is an M rated horror game. I don't think there should be room for all this "every kid should get a medal or else they'll throw a tantrum". Immature kids shouldn't be playing this, to begin with.

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

because you would get eVEN moRE points ggez

• Maximus7
    Maximus7 Member Posts: 441
    Options
    To be honest, I used to feel the dead opposite for the same reasons. However, I'd always try to play in a non-toxic manner, and I prioritized getting BBQ stacks over camping one person out.
    Now, after the balance changes and the terrible bugs, I try to play killer more like the way you do, but for different reasons. My spirit is broken. I just want blood points and nothing else, so I'm fine with getting 4 BBQ stacks and just letting the survivors get whatever blood points they want. I just cannot be bothered to stress about getting a 4k in a game that doesn't take balance seriously.
    I might be sounding like a pompous prick of a killer main, but I just can't care much anymore. Maybe I'm just bored with the game, but I'm not gonna lie, I didn't feel this way last patch.
  • Stab
    Stab Member Posts: 2
    Options

Honestly. Just as you said.. points are points.
    I'm playing mainly for the Bloodpoints and i usually do all the stuff you do, to get as much of them as possible. But killing them, will grant me.. even more bloodpoints. And even if i would spare them.. the next Killer they meet, wont and they will be just as toxic. Might aswell just kill them myself, it wont change a thing. They hare me one way or another.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Let’s just turn the killer into another survivor so everyone can win.
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options
    I have a taste for letting people live... so long as I'm getting stuff done. Especially thanks to the Halloween event. "Happy Halloween! gtfo and enjoy those blood points." The warm fuzzies are nice. 
    Of course they never do just leave.
    I suspect winter event will be much the same if I don't have to sacrifice. I'll get what I need, and let people go so they get what they need.

The only time I'm bothered by people escaping is if I don't feel like I got a fair amount of blood points/event goal, and that means I did not get to do much.

If they managed to basically run circles around me, and take advantage of crap I actually want them to just leave. Of course they never do.

I like multiple chases, multiple hooks, long matches. 
    A good action packed 15 minutes or more?

If a survivor is talented, especially above the rest, I don't mind them getting the hatch.

I don't mind going with the flow overall, though. I'm not 4k crazy, but if I run into someone enough, then I just do, and  try to get them hooked... unless they're pro distractions, then I want to avoid them. They're good at running people around, and they want you to take the bait.
  • Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I never willl let a survivour off unless its a
    3 v 1 which means a survivour gets a free hatch or a 2 v 1 in which case do the gens and leave. Other then those situations i will be killing.

Bad unhooks get punished because otherwise survivours will never learn how to make proper saves. So if i dont punish survivours they will get used to unhooking close to the killer screwing my survivour games if i decide to play survivour later on. 

• Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129
    Options

I got called a "sucker" today, for not camping the hook after the doors were open.

So, you know... I guess that's what they think I should be doing.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

me killah
    me killz

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469
    Options

I play "bad" or "sub optimal" killers to De-pip because I like low to mid range games, because they are more fun and less frustrating than try hard SWF garbage. I play my main strong killers not to get too low and stay in that mid range bracket. So Im having fun losing, but not throwing the match, and having fun 3-4king when im done messing around.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    Options

@Peasant said:

I personally enjoy torturing survivors and letting at least 1 live, while killing the other 3. Thats just my style. I don't enjoy seeing a 4k by my own hands if I'm on pig. But when I'm playing other killers I just kinda go no mercy mode. Most the other killers don't entertain me the same way pig does.

Sometimes though, I can go into a game, and try to get people to survive, but mid match something just kicks in and you oops and kill too many. Or you try something dramatic, like where I down 4 survivors with masks on, and instead of picking one up and forcing them to do 1 gen and start all the traps, I oopsed and just hooked everyone....Its really hard to not kill people in this game, especially with the annoying sounds the survivors make. Or when they scream after a hook and I slash them, they think I'm BMing them but in reality I'm just trying to shut them up from all that screaming so I can hear other survivors nearby.

But if you wanna show mercy, make sure its to only 1. Survivors feel hopeful if they survive along with someone else, but if you kill all but one, the ones who lives becomes more humble. And maybe in a future game you see them, and its 1 less toxic bastard around. But make sure you get the right person....don't give a chance to live to the jake who's been camping hooks and pulling his team mates off without even trying to risk himself to guard them, no heals, no nothing just farming hook BP. Kill this ######### first! Or if you catch a survivor purposefully sandbag his team mates. Or if you catch a guy using emotes to gain sympathy, murder his ass.....

• FayeZahara
    FayeZahara Member Posts: 965
    Options

Killers play the role to kill with no rules and will rage upon lost of that kill as any killer does. Survivors will whine and cry that didn't let them live because thats what any survivor does. I think in general we are all playing our roles very immersively :blush:

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Yes, they should.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456
    Options

I think you should play the game however you want as long as you have fun, even tho i think that the game should revolve around sacrificing people for the killer (wich isn't the case currently, i get alot of game where i pip without killing anyone, emblem system is really weird imo).

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469
    edited December 2018
    Options

The game isnt a haunted house kind of game that rewards you for scaring people, or being "creative" before killing. The goal of the Killer is to kill, they aren't "spookers," or "entertainers." If this isn't supposed to be the case, then the terminology and goals of the game need to be changed. I should get points for making the avatar scream and not die. I should get points every time I force a survivor in to hiding. There shouldn't be hooks.. heck there shouldn't be weapons! It should just be a haunted house of jump-scares.

Should the killer kill? YES! Its in the job description!

• Divinitye9
    Divinitye9 Member Posts: 392
    Options
    A killer is supposed to kill. They aren’t called “survivor helpers.” 

That being said, however, I am not completely heartless. My play style is dictated by the actual survivors. I don’t tunnel and I do not camp unless survivors goad me into it. If it’s a well played game and I get one or two, I am content. I just enjoy smacking people with the wraith. If I get kills, great, if not, whatever. I generally let the 4th survivor get the hatch or get out if I so choose, as I will not do a hatch standoff as I have better things to do then stand on a hatch for 30 minutes.

If I really care I will run my hag and do my best to run them into the ground, but I have more fun playing mid tier killers. 
  • wladimiiir
    wladimiiir Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I usually hook everyone twice and then just let them on the ground if I catch them outpositioned. I enjoy more when everyone is having fun in the game, rather than tunnel and going for 4k. I also played a lot of survivor lately and most of the killers are no fun at all (boosted 4k apes), so someone needs to make a balance and make them have enjoyable games, otherwise they would be even more toxic :)
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 354
    Options

@Peasant said:
    This post is not a request for an absurd killer nerf. This post is a merely a query about the status of the community and the game's mechanics and point systems.

As a person who used to watch "He who shall not be named" and a person who has played my fair share of the killer role, I am no stranger to how toxic and bitter the community can be. This is especially true for survivors who can use strength in numbers to verbally (textually?) harass players. Knowing this, I've begun mass sparing survivors that aren't deliberately trolling me, but given the phrase "don't feed the trolls" I may even begin sparing them.

The reason I'm sparing survivors is due to the fact that when most of the survivors escape it means that they are more satisfied. If they are more satisfied with the outcome, then they will be less toxic correct?

I look at it this way: if a survivor escapes they get 5000 BP (+2000 BP if they get the hatch) As a killer I get 2500 BP for killing everyone. Assuming that I would be killing everyone by hooks (moris don't grow on trees.) I would already get 6000 BP from hooking everyone. If I don't kill everyone and only go to the second hook I can gain 4000 BP instead with the bonus of reduced post-game toxicity in most cases. In addition to the reduced toxicity chance, I also can gain more BP through the other three categories (Brutality/Deviousness/Hunting) With just 4 extra attacks I can reach the same BP as if I had just killed everyone (admittedly the total is in two categories but points are points!). With 5 more attacks after that, I can get the same result if I had just killed everyone. So as long as I can get 9 more attacks in after 2 hooks on each survivor I will have essentially the same BP as if I had killed them outright. As a person who mains Huntress this is not terribly challenging for me so I guess my question is why would I kill?

From my experience, not brutally murdering everyone, in general, makes everyone a little happier as the survivors don't get salty and you still get the points. All in all, it just seems like killing folks isn't worth it. Granted I run the risk of being gen-rushed if I fail to keep map pressure up. However, since I run Whispers I am almost always applying pressure to someone.

For all of the people who will just shout that the killer should always kill I'd like to point out that by not sacrificing the survivors I'm technically putting them through more pain and suffering as I deny them the sweet release of death.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhKoxicQLg

I don't know what game you are playing but for me toxic survivors are toxic whether they live or die. If they die, I'm a camper/trash killer/tryhard. If they live, the game was ez/I'm a trash killer/git gud/etc. You cannot win with toxic survivors. They'll be toxic no matter what happens because their lives are sad. Note: I am only talking about toxic survivors, not all survivors. If you talk ######### to every killer after a match, I'm talking about you.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options
    @scorpio
    "I don't know what game you are playing but for me toxic survivors are toxic whether they live or die. If they die, I'm a camper/trash killer/tryhard. If they live, the game was ez/I'm a trash killer/git gud/etc. You cannot win with toxic survivors. They'll be toxic no matter what happens because their lives are sad. Note: I am only talking about toxic survivors, not all survivors. If you talk ######### to every killer after a match, I'm talking about you."

Only saving grace if being on console is I don't have to read any post game chat.  Though that doesn't stop people from teabagging during the match.  Had at least 2 tonight that did it on,pallet stuns or if I JUST barely missed a hit.

But yeah, unsportsmanlike players are going to be toxic in some way or another.  I played this game as Survivor way before I took thr plunge to Killer and play both about 70/30 or 80/20 split. 

But for those games as Survivor the only "toxicity" Ive seen is when a Killer repeatedly smacks someone on Hook, mostly seems to be when they farmed a Teammate or made a mistake: potato, missed Hatch or the alternative, when someone was toxic.  Ive had no problems Hooking a toxic egotistical chump and making sure they stay there.

I only spare Survivors if a game went really badly for them (mostly when it's a 2 DC game early on...not if the game's been played and then DC at the end) or if it's a mutual farm game (rarely happens on console)
  • Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same way, I very rarely actually go for kills and generally have more fun by just making things "difficult" for the survivors. 

jump scares, slugging, traps, harassment, but all in good fun. 
    I have more fun if I know the others are having fun too. 

however, if someone is gonna be toxic, clicking flashlights and teabagging... I'm  gonna torture them a bit extra.  slugging and camping, sacrifice, dribble till they're free and put them down again to watch them bleedout... but that's really rare, once they see I'm letting people go, those toxic behaviors usually disappear too. 

I also do this because, contrary to what most will say, I feel like Killer is way easier than survivor and I want people to enjoy playing survivor too. need survivors just as much as we do killers.