Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Are Killers Actually Punished for Camping

Munqaxus
Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
edited December 2021 in General Discussions

There's a lot of players on these boards that say Killers get punished by camping by not getting Kills. It seems like a majority believe that camping will net you on average, about 1 kill, while the other 3 survivors escape.

Since I like date, I thought I would test this hypothesis by doing 10 camping-killer games a night and showing the data I got. (There is 1 caveat, if there is a hatch escape without all 5 gens being done I count that as a kill. So far I've only had 1 of these happen).

Here's my data for night 1. I am, of course, playing Leatherface.

As you can see, as a camping-killer, I'm getting on average about 3.3 kills a game. I don't really feel like I've been punished at all for camping with kill rate of 82.50%.

(I'll add 10 more games tomorrow night for more accurate stats and will probably get up to about 50 games, depending on if I can handle the boredom).

***12/27 Edit***

As promised, I did 10 more facecamping Bubba games. I really despise doing these type of games, it definitely feels dirty to me. Anyway, I've tried some Corrupt Intervention and Bitter Murmur. I kind of like both. Bitter Murmur gives me a chance to NOED 2 survivors at the end of game.

Post edited by Munqaxus on

Comments

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

yes but not in a way that discourages those who don't care.

• Munqaxus

You really just have to break off the good loopers and chase someone else. I've had some really good loopers keep me busy a couple of the games. I also had a flashlight survivor team that I thought was going to be a 4 man escape.

Not to mention I'm not really good with Leatherface. Just started using him for this data. I'm also using a Tier 1 Deadlock, haven't gotten the tier 3 Deadlock yet. (1st 3 games I didn't even have Deadlock)

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,530

I don´t get the point.

As killer you likely start camping when you realize there are strong loopers in the team. Because you know you probably won´t catch them.

It would be dumb to chase too long and throw the game. That is the way the survs want you to play.

And i am SoloQ - Kindred is base kit. A camper mostly screws us.

But i don´t complain. When i play killer and try to camp because the team is too good, they often manage to unhook anyways. (i was not Bubba in that case)

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237

You're only punished for camping if the survivors recognise you're not going to leave the hook and as such, they decide to sit on generators instead of trying to save, or maximising each hook stage.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Yeah survivors can escape, even if killer makes a perfect camping game. End chase fast, protect hook from unhooking perfectly, end next chase fast and protect hook..yet two survivors can escape on the back of a perfect camping game that is bad game design. In football you can play defensive and get a point against the best teams that would have murdered you if playing offensive against them. In this game you get murdered even if you make a perfect defensive game in high MMR which means camping needs a buff yes?

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

Killers only get punished for camping against organized teams. Most SQ teams will be altruistic before the end game but escape after, not even accounting for the gen inefficiency.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,530

No, 2e and 2k is the desired outcome for the perfect game. According to numbers - fun doesn´t matter. (and thats why mmr fails)

• BenSanderson55
    BenSanderson55 Member Posts: 454

Lol the old do gens to counter it. Even if if the other 3 survivors split up and do gens separately, they cant complete all 5 before the person dies on hook. Thats why people try to save because if they dont it's a guaranteed 1k and you kind of got to test the waters on how good/bad the killer is at camping.

Some killers just swing right away (survivor faking unhook to not get grabbed) and then swing at the bt, these are the not so good campers. And i expect people to try and save unless it's a camping bubba especially in basement or theres active noed and only 2 people left, one on hook.

Problem is not everyone runs bt/ds and not all camping killers are bad at it.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

Entirely up the survivor team as is everything in this game. What II mean by that is lets you go on a crazy chase that lasts 3 minutes and you finally go down. You see the gen count is at 5, 2 players are breaking totems and your third is rummaging in basement chest with zero gen progress done. What statement is true? The survivor team didn't take advantage of your amazing chase time or is it that killers aren't punished enough for going on long chases?

I would argue the same is true here, if the survivor team doesn't know how to react properly to a killer camping then yeah there's not a punishment at all but if the 3 remaining survivors slam gens then there is for sure a 'punishment'.

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960

Well for games I played and seen survivors are extremely altruistic so when you keep having those guys why would you not camp cause you know the others try to save them which leads to kills

• Munqaxus

I've seen some teams play correctly and I feel like I'm pretty consistently getting around a 3k average on teams that play correctly. Deadlock/Ruin and NOED even things out a lot.

The teams that are the worse, so far, are flashlight teams. I've had the worse luck against them. I've had some teams doing double-flashlight saves and you can't really counter that as Killers. Hats off for that type of coordination, they deserve the save, coordinating those.

• CyberDragoon656

Your point being? I know perks can help and some team make ups can make a difference depending on the set up. I'm just pointing out that if you know the team is altruistic as ######### why sweat the other stuff and make them work around you instead of it being the other way around.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

I thought this was a writing exercise about how we can contribute as little as possible to the thread while demonstrating obvious, incendiary bias via extremely narrow, anecdotal assumptions.

Did I get that wrong? :(

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

You should see their comments on my Dead Hard thread - Le Cringe.

Best not to engage at all, champ :3

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

Oh, no, my dude. I've seen his comments before, that's why I wanted to try writing like him. But after just one attempt I've discovered that that kind of sheltered naivety is just not for me, even if it so effectively triggers the people its intended to trigger. My self-respect demands I avoid it :).

But I'll go catch up on that thread since it's been a few days. For the luls.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551

Also funny how I made this post and immediately got a camping LF afterwards.

Teammate become altruistic stupid

Got out with two though.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

Yeah the punishment relies on the survivors not being potatoes. If they all die due to altruism instead of just doing gens, they deserve it.

• Axx
    Axx Member Posts: 392

Camping is effective because most survivors feed kills. Most players, especially solo survivors, when they get camped they will wiggle and let themselves die. This then lets you chase and down and camp someone else. Then this repeats over and over again. Most survivor players have zero patience and won't hang then struggle so the team can do almost all the gens before they die. Plus, people try to save, instead of doing gens hard, then they get downed and slugged and so on. It ain't the game's or the killer's fault if people feed camping killers more kills.

Like I know solo survivor is rough and that some killers camp and just play mean, but this game is already hand holding the survivor role so much. What more do people want? At this point, the only thing that is going to make people happy is if BHVR adds a bot to play killer that is programmed to only chase.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    edited December 2021

Objection! Hatch isn't really an escape either, it's just a coinflip on who's closer first (and even the devs worked that one out so it doesn't affect MMR).

So a hatch escape goes from 4K-0E to 3K-1N-0E.

If a Killer gets someone whilst the hatch is out, they'd (probably) have got them going for a normal escape; but a hatch escape doesn't mean you'd have activated the exit gates and got out.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

And half the Survivors completely ignore that they reward camping by failing to do gens, and instead camp the hook and then cry and screech about how 'OP camping is' when the Killer does not walk away like they demand.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,223

Typically the survivors are going to make the mistakes to reward the camp regardless of their party composition. It can theoretically be punished if everyone knows what to do. It's rare that anyone knows what to do.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

You say this like those complaining about camping CARE.

All they care about is this little thought process:

Is Survivor Hooked?

If Yes: Is Killer near the hook?

If Yes: Hide near hook for 2 minutes instead of doing gens, then screech on the forums about how OP camping is, and demand Killers be punished/banned/flogged for 'camping'. Because Killers should have to 12 hook every match. Also; Gen speeds are fine; Git Gud, Killers.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

There is no semantic argument here

You did not kill them and the entity didn't do the dirty work for you as a result of ECG.

If the survivor went down the rabbit hole, they escaped the trial. You can't have it both ways where the final survivor simultaneously escapes and somehow still counts towards the data in favor of Killers.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

It shouldn't count as a kill, but it also should either count as an escape for all balance-related purposes or none. Hatches are just their own thing.

• Dionysus42
    Dionysus42 Member Posts: 427

No and they shouldn't be.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

why would there be a built in hard counter to a specific strategy?

• CyberDragoon656

I'd be more asking if those perks are for tunneling and camping why are survivors now deploying strategies that encourage it more?

BT, DS and COH now made those two survivor complaints even more viable nowadays.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

tbf, bhvr has said that hatch escape counts as null for mmr gains.

But I doubt BHVR's kill rate stats are counting hatches as anything other than an escape.