PLEASE do something about "missed skillchecks" when i just want to leave the gen

solidhex
solidhex Member Posts: 889
edited January 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

this mechanic is so annoying, honestly, please do something about it, it just cost me a game because i wanted to give my medkit to someone and then i couldn't finish the gen, it's so godamn annoying and it always happens in the worst situations. This ######### is outdated as hell.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

When you leave the gen and the killer has overcharge, you still get the skill check. I think they should do the same for normal skillchecks, then even if you leave the gen/heal you can still hit it.

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148

If a skillcheck pops up, it'll keep them there for an easy grab. I call that a nice little buff on the killer end if I do say so. It'd make me laugh every time it happens as survivor.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

For me the problem comes in the form that the skill-check can appear just the moment you let go. Once it pops up you should have to remain on the generator to finish it. Hitting a skill-check for "repair" while not even sitting on the generator sound a bit strange to me and it is more on Overcharge to get changed here...

Maybe survivors could get a bit of a buffer that allows them to get back onto the generator once the skill-check pops up to hit it OR they can leave the generator while mid-skillcheck but that skill-check remains "on" the generator. Meaning that the next survivor will get to continue the skill-check on the point where you left it.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Yeah, they are really annoying! Almost as annoying as getting fake hits as killer.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933
    edited January 2022

I'm convinced that skillchecks having a higher chance of popping up when you leave the gen because a killer is approaching is an intended feature, and not even a dev coming here just to tell me it's just bad skillchecks timing and there's nothing coded about it will convince me otherwise

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

+1

Idk how this wasn't implemented years ago.

Also, have to laugh at killers being outraged at the suggestion of basic quality of life improvements.

• Gwinty

How is it only a "quality of life" change when you flat out no longer are either rooted in place or need to hit that damn skill-check?

I get that this should have some consistency but asking to do a repair skill-check on the run seems a bit weird to me. I have another suggestion: Skill-checks are now for the generator and not per survivor. You can leave the generator while a skill-check is running but the next survivor to touche it takes over the skill-check at the point where you left it.

Say the skill-check appears and is a 9 o'clock. You let go at 3 o'clock. Now the next person to touch the generator is met with a skill-check starting at 3 o'clock with a success zone at 9 .

This would allow you to get back onto your gen to not miss the skill-check or leave your teammate with a very difficult skill-check because it already started running.

You get you quality of life, the Killer still gets regression unless you show you skill.

• not_Queef
    edited January 2022

You would still have to hit the skillcheck, though. You decide to leave the gen, suddenly you get a skillcheck at that exact moment, instead of the gen instantly blowing in an unfair manner that you can't control, you are allowed to complete the skillcheck (gen still blows if you fail it).

Like the way Overcharge works.

Basic quality of life to make one small aspect of the game less frustrating.

Sorry but your suggestion sounds too complicated.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

I think you misunderstand what the OP is talking about.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

Basic quality of life to make one small aspect of the game less frustrating.

Less frustrating for Survivors only, you mean. Meanwhile, Killers lose out on the loss of gen progress for chasing Survivors off gens.

Funny how Survivors are now demanding buffs as 'quality of life improvements'. Did demanding Killer nerfs 'because unfun' stop working?

OP is talking about gens popping when they have to run away, or when they leave it to go help someone. You know; something that causes gen regression & helps a Killer, and changing it would be an direct buff for Survivors/nerf for Killers.

• Junylar

Getting skillckeck the same tick you let go of a gen, thus failing a skillcheck you didn't even see, is not something that should happen. It was never intended to work like this. Fixing it is a solid quality of life improvement.

But I guess you just barely play survivor role (if ever), so you think only in this killer main perspective, where the worse the survivor experience is - the better.

• not_Queef

It doesn't only happen when the killer is coming and you know that.

The killer is not entitled to free information and gen regression because of poor UX design.

• AngyKiller

It was never intended to work like this

Actually, I believe the devs have said it was meant to work like this. @MandyTalk gens popping right as you leave is intended, right?

But I guess you just barely play survivor role (if ever), so you think only in this killer main perspective, where the worse the survivor experience is - the better.

😂

Survivor main demands buffs as 'QoL improvements', then calls people who disagree 'Killer mains' because Survivors always believe they should have everything stacked in their favor. Yep; typical toxic Survivor main. Anyone who disagrees is clearly biased.

• Junylar

Yeah, I'm a "toxic survivor main" who plays both sides regularly and just wants gameplay to be less painful for one of the sides, you got me there, destroyed my point completely.

• AngyKiller

You're missing the point that this QoL change is a Buff to Survivors, or a Nerf to Killers; depends on the point of view. You are literally removing those gen pops when a Survivor jumps off a gen, which means no more alerts & no more lost gen progress, which means gens are finishing that much more quickly.

I don't care what anyone's viewpoints are; this is, directly, a buff of nerf to one side or the other. So it's not just a quality of life improvement. it's a buff and/or nerf because it directly affects the game's flow and completion times.

• SuperSaiyan4GT
    SuperSaiyan4GT Member Posts: 144

I feel like this happens more than often. You go to leave the gen for whatever reason and a skill check pops up and you miss it. It's like the game knows before you let go

• AngyKiller

I swear, but I cannot remember where I heard it, a dev once said that sprinting off a gen has an increased chance of triggering a skillcheck. But carefully disengaging does not.

But again; it was years ago and I can't remember where I heard it.

• Junylar
    edited January 2022

By this definition of yours any QoL improvement can be called a "buff". Even fixing bugs for one of the sides is a "buff of said side" by this logic, since fixing a bug makes the side stronger.

• AngyKiller
    edited January 2022

Not really. A bugfix is not a buff or nerf; it's a bugfix. But the gens popping is clearly not a bug, so what's your point? Or did you just decide to slide into whataboutism for lack of any actual counter-points?

Edit: I should also add that QoL improvements CAN be made without buffs and nerfs; If BHVR changed the wriggle mechanic and did not add the BS 1 second reduction; it WOULD have been a QoL change without a buff/nerf. But BHVR literally can't alter the game without giving Survivors a piece of candy.

• Junylar

And now you are contradicting yourself. All the necessary points have been stated previously, you are just trying to reduce this needed QoL improvement to absurdity and attach a "buff" label to it, while calling anyone who disagrees with you a "toxic survivor main", literally. No point in continuing here.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

I’d be okay with it being where if a skill check appears you are forced to stay on the gen until it is resolved, but if when this happens the killer hits you or even grabs you because you couldn’t leave, then you auto-fail that skill check, even if it hasn’t appeared yet (eg. the time between the warning sound and when it actually appears).

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

This would be a buff, because it would remove a chance to lose progress, and it's not fixing a bug, because this behaviour isn't aberrant. It's... not that complicated? The question is if it's a warranted buff or not.

I'd think that if you leave a gen as a skillcheck is triggering, you either blow the skillcheck or have to stay and do it. Not hop off, do the skillcheck, and also leave. Doing the thing that requires being on the gen whilst also having the benefit of being off the gen and mobile isn't a great combination, there.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Skillcheck validation pls

• Zolfo16
    Zolfo16 Member Posts: 479

If you have a killer on you it is fair you risk an explosion considering the situation.

If you do not have the killer on top of you you can wait a SC and move from the gen right after.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

I disagree, fake hits are on a league of their own in terms of frustration. When a skill check appears when you are leaving, you know what happened and it makes sense within the logic of the game, so even an inexperienced player can put 2 and 2 together but the fake hits are the most frustrating ######### . The game acts like i should have gotten the hits, but i didn't because i actually didn't. From an inexperience players perspective even if they're looking at a recording the survivors are hacking. Instead it comes from an issue you will never know about unless you browse forums or the like.

• BirdSpirit
    BirdSpirit Member Posts: 186

I'd be alright with the skill check staying on the screen as you leave. At that point you would hit it just to prevent the explosion and for points. The gen will not progress since you are no longer on it.

• AngyKiller
    edited January 2022

How did I contradict myself? A bugfix is not a buff or nerf, because it's fixing UNINTENDED aspects of the game. Whatever being fixed was not how the game was meant to be played, or was not working as intended.

Asking for gets to not pop as you run off of them is asking for an INTENDED gameplay mechanic to be changed. IE: A buff or nerf. This is not hard to understand.

Removing a bug = bugfix. Not a balance change. Whatever is being changed was unintended. If Wraith could insta-kill people by attacking while invisible; this would be a BUG. It would not be nerfing his INTENDED GAMEPLAY to remove it.

Asking for the game's intended balance to change by, say, asking for Survivors to be hand-held and no longer pop gens while leaving, thus removing sound alerts and lost progression if they jump off gens = buff. As it's changing the INTENDED BALANCE of the game.

Edit: I'll grant you that bugfixes are TECHNICALLY buffs or nerfs. But they're not CONSIDERED buffs or nerfs, even in patch-notes. Because buffs and nerfs are INTENDED changes whereas bugfixes are fixing UNINTENDED mechanics or problems.

With this in mind, your 'quality of life' argument is arguing for a BUFF from an INTENDED MECHANIC OF GENS POPPING AS YOU LEAVE, by removing said gen popping as you leave. Thus, buffing Survivors.

• Gwinty

Then what would be so bad about the skill-check getting "on the generator".

In my opinion a skill check "to go" is just stupid because that is not what skill-checks are supposed to represent: A difficult repairing operation where you have to be precise otherwise the thing explodes. By letting the skill check "on the generator", lingering for the next survivor to finish it this aspect would not be lost and it would not be a "buff" as some people call it anymore.

I get that a generator exploding because a skill-check popped up just as you wanted to leave is not good and feels bad. My change would help with that.

Now your argument is that my change sound to complicated. How so?

Generators can "save" skill-checks. You see this with overcharge where it lingers on the generator.

The problem is that when get the ability to let go during a skill-check and "take it with you" this will remove the "rooted on the generator" aspect. Suddenly I no longer have to deceide if I want to let the generator go or if I want to run way, I can do both.

When a skill-check appears and say, Wraith uncloaks next to me I can now run and finish that skill-check, probably hit a great and finish the generator while right now it would just explode.

I am all in for removing the frustation of an unseen skill-check. But I am not in for an easy to go mechanic where you no longer have to make a decision when the skill check already appeared on your screen.

My problem mainly comes from the fact that this sound as if it would allow people to also take a skill-check that has already appeared with them. If we can prevent this I will be fine.

Great skillchecks grant a progression bonus of 1%. As such there is progress on the generator just for hitting a great. You will repair a generator you are no longer sitting on with this mechanic.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I'd like to see them make all skillchecks on gens like Overcharge, where if you get off the gen, it stays on your screen and can still be hit.

HOWEVER, if you miss a skillcheck while nobody is on the generator, it should start to regress as normal speed.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

No buffs needed there, it's such a minor inconvenience anyway.

• BirdSpirit
    BirdSpirit Member Posts: 186
  • Gwinty

No, you literally said that "The gen will not progress since you are no longer on it." which lead me to understand that the gen would no longer progress because it is no longer getting repaired. As a gen still can get progress while you are not on it, this would not solve the issue for me.

If this was a misunderstanding, I think we are fine.

However a "skillcheck2go" is still a pretty wonky idea when you think about it...you are repairing something stationary, some problems occurs and you quickly need to do something or the thing will explode. You chose just to leave and solve the problem on the way, no explosion happens...this sound wonky...

• IWFreak
    IWFreak Member Posts: 252

I have a proposition:

How about the gen just regresses if you miss a skillcheck while leaving the gen? Like old Ruin did when you hit a good skillcheck instead of a great.

This still makes the gen regress a little, but doesn't give the notification.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    R1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,731

THAT'S WHAT I SAID. A fix for this is long overdue.

• AngyKiller

I think you mean 'a survivor buff is long overdue' because a fix implies it's broken or not working as intended.

It is 100% working as intended, but now Survivors are unhappy, and will pretend it's an oversight or bug in order to demand a 'fix'.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    edited January 2022

It's not a buff. It's quality of life. We shouldn't be punished for something we have no control over. The explosion is intended to keep you from trying to avoid skill checks, not explode the generator when you were just trying to stop.

• AngyKiller

It's literally a buff. You're altering intended game mechanics in a way that removes a Survivor punishment for leaving a gen. This will cut down on the number of noise notifications & loss of progress in any given game. Thus, it is a buff.

'Quality of life' is just a smokescreen to ask for a buff while pretending it's not.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Dunno, being able to skip skillchecks without them triggering kinda invalidates skillchecks themselves.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Actually the explosion is the consequence of a failed skillcheck.

They jzst happen to automatically fail when leaving a gen during a skillcheck.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

There's a difference between quality of life and buff. The explosion when you let go during a skill check is, very clearly, intended to keep you from avoiding the skill check. Not explode for no reason when you are just trying to stop repairing to heal someone, go hide bc Killer is coming, etc. The generator exploding like that is incredibly stupid and there's nothing you can do about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm very aware of how Survivor sided DBD is, and I think something needs to be done, but this is one of few positive changes I would make for Survivors as it's really stupid. You're an extremely biased Killer main if you think this doesn't need fixed.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

Hard to pass a skill check that appeared the literal nanosecond you release the gen, no?

• AngyKiller

Not explode for no reason when you are just trying to stop repairing to heal someone, go hide bc Killer is coming, etc.

You ASSUME it's for 'no reason'. And again; it's buffing Survivors/nerfing Killers. Sometimes that explode is the only way a Killer knows a Survivor is nearby, because BSWF with voice comms alerted them ahead of time he was walking their way.

@MandyTalk @not_Queen Can we get a weigh-in on if gens are supposed to explode when Survivors run away before people demand blatent Survivor-sided buffs under the smokescreen 'Quality of life'?

And make no mistake; it IS a Survivor buff; it cuts on on lost gen progress, and prevents Survivors from making noise alerts when they run away. In no way is this not a buff for any reason other than 'But Survivors want it' under the excuse 'making the game better (for Survivors only)'.