EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    edited June 2022
    Options

The wait is really becoming unbearable. It's been 9 months since this feature was added to EAC.

The more they wait the more I'm just going to tell people to go play VHS since it works now.

Please at least announce it with a time line.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,482
    edited June 2022
    Options

The devs are usually quite vague when it comes to nailed-down timelines, preferring to leave things loose, and even mute if there's no update.

This is likely because of how badly the community has roasted them here and elsewhere for not meeting a deadline when something happens to delay.

Post edited by JPLongstreet on
  • nikodemo
    Options

i understand that, for sure. and i only want the best for the team. but after 9 months, it's getting hard to wait, especially with a competitor out there.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,482
    Options

I play DBD on an Xbox1x. Believe me I know the pain of waiting for years for improvements and a proper optimization, as well as the agony of goals not met and timetables wreaked.

I hope whatever setup y'all are pushing for doesn't give ya 10-15 fps in the middle room of Lery's when lots is happening in-game, or a second or two freeze whenever Sloppy Butcher is activated, or dozens of other known triggers talked about all over this forum and elsewhere.

• nikodemo
    Options

one can only hope, ya know? my guess is that it would actually run really well on Linux if they'd just get EAC out of the way.

i'm sorry for your struggles. just seems to be part of this game's legacy, unfortunately.

• PapaMikey
    PapaMikey Member Posts: 35
    Options

its kind of annoying to me cause i got an ssd with siege and dbd and thats it. the last of my games that dont run on linux and id LOVE to format it and have more storage for linux

• nikodemo
    Options

that was my situation too, and i love DbD so much it was keeping me in Windows way too much for my liking. so after the EAC announcement, i just bit the bullet and wiped Windows. i just needed to get out and get back to Linux.

for now, i use the less than acceptable Stadia until i get a real solution from the devs and the EAC compatibility we're all desperately waiting for.

• protake
    protake Member Posts: 7
    Options

Yet another patch without EAC support :(

• nikodemo
    Options

Next week is the anniversary. This would be the perfect anniversary gift!

Please, BHVR! We're as tired of asking as you are of hearing from us. XD the best way to make us go away is to just enable it. XD

• PapaMikey
    Options

🏃

• mandysuxx
    mandysuxx Member Posts: 41
    Options

Don't get your hopes up, just gonna hurt more when the anniversary update hits and there's no support still.

• nikodemo
    Options
  • Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

I think if work in progress, we need wait

• nikodemo
    Options

We have little choice in the matter.

• PapaMikey
    Options

What OS yall rockin?

• MBAdept
    MBAdept Member Posts: 14
    Options

Triple Boot Laptop with Win11 (only for DBD...), Linux Mint Cinnamon and Manjaro KDE.

• nikodemo
    Options

EndeavourOS (arch based). Great experience. I've been in the arch-based ecosystem since Antergos and it finally got me to stop distro hopping.

I deleted my Win partition because DbD was keeping me booted into Win too much. for now i play DbD on, ugh, Stadia, which is not the same quality as playing locally.

praying for them to enable this soon.

• PapaMikey
    Options

EndeavourOS as well, KDE Plasma :)

• nikodemo
    Options
  • mandysuxx
    Options

i

I'm currently rocking ubuntu's jammy jellyfish, due I'm still learning and heard a lot of good about the ubuntu. Currently I had to change into linux due my studies and I dont have enough space on my lappy for dual boot for windows so currently no DbD for me. :(

• ScoobyDoo
    ScoobyDoo Member Posts: 20
    Options

Currently on Linux Mint (Cinnamon).

But I've been hopping between Linux Mint and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and I enjoyed both to the point where I couldn't pick one to stay. Eventually, decided to stick with Mint... just because. But Tumbleweed still holds a place in my heart.

• nikodemo
    Options

you could join me in the dark lands of Stadia. you can sync it to steam.

• Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27
    Options

How does stadia fare doing skill checks? I tried in home streaming from a roommates pc but even over gigabit lan the added latency really throws me off and I don't want to get too used to it.

• nikodemo
    Options

It can be laggy and juttery. Like, it'll do for now when I have nothing else, but it can't compare to local.

• nikodemo
    Options

Year 7 roadmap just dropped, but no mention of Steam Deck support.

@MandyTalk can you give us any kind of update? Is it soon? A year from now? Any new insight would be appreciated as we're starving here. XD

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,551
    Options

I don't have an ETA on this I'm afraid - it's still a WIP.

• nikodemo
    Options

Hey Mandy!

Thanks so much for chiming in. I'm sure this must get tiresome for you so I really appreciate you taking the time.

Ok, I guess just keep conveying our undying hunger to the team, then. XD

Thanks!

• nikodemo
    edited June 2022
    Options

nvm

Post edited by nikodemo on
  • PapaMikey
    Options

cmon bhvr, baby steps, you got this!

• XDark187
    XDark187 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hopefully this becomes a thing soon, looking to move over to SteamOS 3.0

• mandysuxx
    Options

Oh no "no ETA" sounds depressingly much same like the switch cross progress with it's "no ETA".

Basically it wont ever happen. >__>

• MarcMil
    MarcMil Member Posts: 11
    Options

Let's just hope it'll become a reality :)

• nikodemo
    Options

i admit it's worrying, but i have a few reasons to hope.

1) they've already done something, since the easyanticheat_x64.so file is now included in the manifest.

2) Valve has shown no intention to stop pushing Linux, and it only keeps getting better. It would be a good move to be compatible and playable on Steam Deck.

3) Competitors,such as VHS, WILL be playable on Steam Deck, and I wouldn't think they'd want to cede that whole territory.

4) DbD has been released on practically everything. It wouldn't take much to also be playable on Steam Deck / Linux via Proton.

But, like I said before, if VHS hits Early Access before DbD is playable, I'll just move full-time to VHS. I've put close to 2k hours into DbD, but I want to play a game that works on my OS.

• Nazo
    Nazo Member Posts: 15
    Options

@nikodemo

The VHS beta is already playable on Deck and on Linux Desktop with out of the box excellent performance.

• nikodemo
    Options

oh yeah, for sure. sorry, i meant more that when VHS is finally widely available to people once it hits EA. but yeah, it works great now for anyone who wants to sign up for Closed Beta!

• ThePaint
    ThePaint Member Posts: 13
    Options

New patch, same old EAC error...

Why even mention support if you're not going to give an ETA?

• Mandy
    Options

My whole point throughout this whole thread is that we've not given an ETA for Steamdeck support yet - we announced that it would happen at some point, but no further information is available at this time. And I've advised everybody to keep an eye on our social media for an announcement regarding this.

• nikodemo
    Options

Yeah, I know we're excited and waiting is hard, but I appreciate that they let us know that support is coming as opposed to keeping us in the dark the whole time wondering.

Slowly but surely. Thank you, @MandyTalk , for your patience, communication and help.

• Pyc
    Options

today I try run dbd at 1 hour, I make 30-40 retries and always not responding on start (win7 dualboot)

how to play? now I cant play and doesn't need win7 anymore

add support eac in proton really hard?

• Mandy
    Options

yeah I completely understand and now what it's like when waiting for something. And I do take all this feedback to the team so they're aware that this is eagerly anticipated.

I'm afraid that Win 7 is not a platform that we support due to that platform not having required updates from Microsoft any longer so we are unable to provide support on this I'm afraid.

• Pyc
    Options

hmmm, I don't knew about dropped win7 support, but now I understand: dbd unsupported for me):

• BenKato_
    BenKato_ Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am mostly lurking around github/this forum and steam discussions to look out for news and every update once or twice in a week, But now I just wanted to express my excitement.

I can't wait till I can finally play it with my friends again after a year not playing DbD (at that time I stopped dual booting and my friends lost interest in it too). Now some of them are starting to play again and I am very excited for another EAC-Game to fully work. :3

I appreciate that MandyTalk gives us atleast hope that it is getting worked on. Though it shouldn't take this much time (this is a whole different topic xD), but atleast we know that progress behind the scene is getting made. Thanks uwu :D

I started to use Linux as my daily driver in the middle of 2020 after I got my first PC myself and since then Windows got more and more uncomfortable and now I couldn't understand how people can put up with it. After using it for most of my life it took me just a few months to never go back to windows.

Dead by Daylight is the very last game all across Steam/Epic/Origin/GoG/Ubisoft cannot play but want to.

After we get Linux/Steamdeck support I will throw a party so excited am I xD.

• PapaMikey
    Options

me after installing ubuntu in a vm after a youtuber shows it to me in 2016 cause it looks cool and now I can't work at all in windows cause the work flow it has is horrible in comparison

• ciaranr1997
    ciaranr1997 Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 12
    Options

+1 to this. Plenty of other games with EAC work on steam deck, even multiplayer ones (VHS for example). All that needs to be done is update EAC and enable like one setting.

I really want to move away from Windows and also be able to play dbd on my steam deck but it feels like I'll never be able to with how long its taking BHVR to support Linux/proton.

• whosyerwan
    whosyerwan Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am currently receiving this error multiple times a day while playing on steam, windows is my OS.

• Pyc
    Options

same here, after few last updates dbd unplayable on win7

• ataraxia
    ataraxia Member Posts: 2
    Options

Not too worried about Proton support, Would love to see it, but luckily there are more games then ever in the asym genre, But with that being said I will be happy to be able to come back to DBD when it finally does support in some capacity non windows pcs